Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

lilljonas posted:

(This turned into more of a rant than I expected. Sorry.)

Honestly, if you want to pick up Napoleonics for the painting experience, I'd choose something else than the Waterloo box. At least on the French side, Warlord's minis are far from the best out there. The Waterloo box comes with the French in greatcoats, which happens to betheir better set of French, but you'll also be painting just grey or beige coats. Also the box comes with some French Chausseur cavalry, and Warlord's French plastic cavalry is very much inferior in sculpting quality to Perry's plastic cavalry. And the Chasseurs are maybe their worst kit. Believe me, I've painted far too many of them.

So while the minis are indeed pretty inexpensive in the box, it's in that awkward spot where you'll get much nicer minis, and probably a more quintessential Napoleonic painting experience, if you add just a little bit more and get some nicer plastic kits instead. I'm not really that well versed in the British options out there, but the new 1807-14 French kits from Perry (which would work perfectly for Sharpe fights in Spain) are just so much better.

Like, don't waste your time on those Warlords plastics if you want to paint some nice Napoleonics. They work if you want to churn out tons of units fast because the details are pretty crude and greatcoats is maybe the simplest thing to paint, but they're just that - cheap bulk material. And I'm saying that as someone who has recently painted up three battalions of them. They're servicable, but they're not exciting. I mean, I'm pretty happy with how mine turned out, but they're far away from what I'd call the pinnacle of what's great with the period from a miniature painting perspective. It's like... nicely toasted bread. It's still just bread.

No, if you want to paint some nice looking French, go for the 1807-14 infantry kits from Perry. Perry's cavalry used to be the only really nice option for plastic cavalry, and their chasseur and dragoon kits would work perfectly as those were the main cavalry types used in the Peninsular war by France. But if you are up to paint some high stakes Napoleonics, Victrix has stepped up their game and released a really nice kit for Polish guard lancers, which gained much of their fame and notoriety in Spain as well. They're pricier and fiddlier than Perry's cav, but that's a really blinged up regiment if you want something colourful to paint:

If you're used to GW kits, I'm afraid that Warlord will feel like a clear step down quality wise.

My only disagreement with this post is that you're wholly wrong about toast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Notahippie posted:

My only disagreement with this post is that you're wholly wrong about toast.

Yes but if you have to choose between toast with something nice on it, even just butter, would you not rather have that than just toast? :)

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Dang Jonas, didn't expect that much effort! Thank you good sir! I may still pick up a box of just infantry as my LGS actually stocks this stuff but might skip on the Waterloo set. Again, appreciate the words!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

EdsTeioh posted:

Dang Jonas, didn't expect that much effort! Thank you good sir! I may still pick up a box of just infantry as my LGS actually stocks this stuff but might skip on the Waterloo set. Again, appreciate the words!

No probs! If you run into any questions when building or painting them just post them here, I love excuses for effort posts on Napoleonics, especially if it's about French or French allies.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

What systems do you play?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

EdsTeioh posted:

What systems do you play?

I got started with Sharp Practice 2, which I think is a good entry game into the period. You don't need too many minis, about 50-60 guys is enough to get started. I was always put off from Napoleonics from seeing those huge tables with hundreds of minis. Little did I know that once I got into the period, I'd end up painting hundreds of tiny Frenchmen, but there's no chance I'd get into that without dipping my foot into the pool through SP2.

I've been keeping a blog from when I painted my first French minis, so you can follow the developments here:

https://krigetkommer.weebly.com/napoleonics-blog

I also wrote a specific entry on collecting a French army in SP2 under £50. I wrote that before the 1807-14 kits came out, so just assume that those are even more suitable under the Perry entry:

https://krigetkommer.weebly.com/napoleonics-blog/3-french-sp2-starter-armies-under-50

I'm currently in the progress of painting up enough for a "real" napoleonics game, as in 10+ battalions of 36 man each, plus cavalry, plus artillery. I'm getting close to having a working army for that, and mostly have tons and tons of basing left to do. Then we'll try General de Brigade and maybe Lasalle or Blucher too.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 16, 2020

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Man, your blog is so good. I've had it bookmarked for a while but drat if I'm not impressed every time I go to it. I'm gonna pick up *something* after work today; hopefully progress pics soon.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

EdsTeioh posted:

Man, your blog is so good. I've had it bookmarked for a while but drat if I'm not impressed every time I go to it. I'm gonna pick up *something* after work today; hopefully progress pics soon.

Thanks! I look forward to see what you end up with. :)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
liljonas posts and suddenly I want to spend rent money on Perry napoleonics again. Stop that!

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Went to LGS. Options were either Waterloo starter set, Russian line infantry, or Zulus. Bought a Space Marine biker chaplain. FAIL.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

EdsTeioh posted:

Went to LGS. Options were either Waterloo starter set, Russian line infantry, or Zulus. Bought a Space Marine biker chaplain. FAIL.

I think Napoleonics is one of those periods that's just hopelessly hard for FLGS to stock. Just looking at Perry's French metal range they have over 240 SKUs, and that's just a single army. Chaplains are cool though. :) Don't worry, there'll come a day when you're browsing a miniatures store and notice that oh, there's free shipping over a certain amount, and before you know it there's just a feeeew nappy kits sitting in your shopping basket.

Meanwhile, Avanpost is releasing some hot clog aftermarket kits!

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Yeah for some reason I thought they had more than they did. They’re a really cool shop overall and stock more historical stuff than I’ve ever seen at any shop in my life. Like there’s almost as much Battlefront stuff as there is GW and that’s saying a lot as they basically stock at least one of everything from GW. Then a ton of stuff that’ll probably never sell, like Judge Dredd and that kind of thing. The amount of 20th/21st century military minis is probably due to one of the owners being a retired tank commander from Desert Shield/Storm, and is a really cool guy to boot. Like these guys run a bunch of WWII games on the dates of the battles and spend months making terrain. Last thing they did was a Market Garden thing that ended up using 21 6x4 tables and they did a similar thing with a Pegasus Bridge thing last year.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I think FoW/TY and Bolt Action are the only historicals I've ever seen in an LGS :(

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
poo poo man, that store sounds great. I would love for the historicals grogs to be that organised around here.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

First out of four (six later on) stolen Austrian 3-pounders:

This is a super long story as I went back and forth on which kind of Austrian gun to get, and ended up gettin one of the two kinds from the Seven Years War that I thought were most likely stowed away in the Vienna arsenals in 1809 when Napoleon robbed them blind. Turned out a friendly guy from the Wagram museum (!) saw my mistake and helpfully pointed out that the 50 quid I had invested in guns was, indeed incorrect.

After shaving off some studs on the wheels, these are at least a little bit closer to how they probably should look. I'm leaving two of the "incorrect" ones to paint up later, because god dammit they look cooler with some weird crab-like hands at the front. But first I'll do these four corrected ones.

Calling it pretty much done, but I'll splatter some mud on as well once all the guns are done.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
At least now you know to ask him for future projects :v:

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Does anyone know any pro-tips to stop a thin piece of a metal model from breaking?

I just got some new Zulu War minis and one of the carbines on my Natal Native Horsemen is very badly bent. As soon as I used a tiny amount of force to start bending it back into place I could feel that if I moved it any further it would snap. It's a really tiny piece and if it breaks it'll be a pain in the rear end to straighten and get back on there.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Heating it gently by wafting it through a candle can help, but if you go overboard you will lose detail. You're kind of just in a bad situation with no great solution other than prayer TBH.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
I think the important thing is to know which parts are incorrect or ahistorical. As long as you know you what you are doing it’s no longer a mistake.

Using Russians with Brown Besses bought from the British when the regiment you are painting obviously wasn’t provided with them is only shameful if you didn’t know:eng101:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Any idea for where to get cheap WW2 Finnish 28mm models in Europe? Still on the lookout but can't find any :finland:

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Tias posted:

Any idea for where to get cheap WW2 Finnish 28mm models in Europe? Still on the lookout but can't find any :finland:

Honestly, check ebay frequently. I get great deals on stuff all the time there. I bought a 500 pt Finnish force there for like half of retail (which I'm now trying to sell since I have too many armies)

You can also try this site: https://www.waylandgames.co.uk/1514-finnish-forces.

All the other stores I use either don't stock Finns or are US based.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Tias posted:

In a pinch you could just get some early war German infantry and paint them in Finnish colours. It won't be a 100% match, but it's pretty drat close, because the visible differences are in bags and other smaller pieces of kit. And it's a drat sight better than trying to hunt down a bunch of infantry as expensive and hard to find metal miniatures.

For weapons you'll want to get some Soviet stuff, because we used Mosin-Nagant rifles, Maxim machine guns, PPSh-41s etc supplemented by stuff bought from the Germans (like Panzerfausts and Panzerschrecks, as well as StuGs etc).

E: Here is a Finnish soldier in the M/36 Service Uniform. And it's worth noting that in actual use kits were a lot more varied. Those fancy pants for instance weren't in 100% use, and we literally used a lot of German helmets.

Here is an early war Wehrmacht guy

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 18, 2020

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Sunday is gunday! I painted up my first four puny stolen Austrian 3-pounders, slabbed mud over them, and called them done.

I've also been testing out basing. There's some kind of habit in napoleonic wargaming to just put four crew members with each gun, and them jam them onto as small a base as you can possibly fit them on. I wanted to avoid this for two reasons:

1) I think a gun with more crew members look better. In reality a battery of guns would have some 100-120 men. That's a company, and my infantry companies have six minis each. With four guys you have like, half the fundamental positions for even firing the thing.

2) Napoleonic guns took a lot of space. They were spaced out at 10-20 paces to prevent incoming fire to cause too much damage, so a full battery would be about as wide as a battalion of 600 men. They also had a long trail of... stuff behind them, as ammo and gunpowder would be stored at a safe distance behind, and then extra ammo would be stored even further back, together with all the horses, wagons and other members of the company. This trail would, again, be about as deep as as a battalion was wide.

With my basing for the infantry, a battalion of 36 minis is 27 cm wide. If each gun is on a 6 cm wide base, that's 24 cm, or pretty bang on. I tried with 8 cm, which would be too wide, and it looked maybe a bit too sparse. A depth of 24 cm with just the gun is not reasonable, but a 12 cm base plus a future base of limber plus a caisson with horses would probably be about that deep. Just don't mention the cost of getting 13 sets of limbers and caissons because god dammit.

Anyway, here's a trial run. I think I like it:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Der Shovel posted:

In a pinch you could just get some early war German infantry and paint them in Finnish colours. It won't be a 100% match, but it's pretty drat close, because the visible differences are in bags and other smaller pieces of kit. And it's a drat sight better than trying to hunt down a bunch of infantry as expensive and hard to find metal miniatures.

For weapons you'll want to get some Soviet stuff, because we used Mosin-Nagant rifles, Maxim machine guns, PPSh-41s etc supplemented by stuff bought from the Germans (like Panzerfausts and Panzerschrecks, as well as StuGs etc).

E: Here is a Finnish soldier in the M/36 Service Uniform. And it's worth noting that in actual use kits were a lot more varied. Those fancy pants for instance weren't in 100% use, and we literally used a lot of German helmets.

Here is an early war Wehrmacht guy

I think I remember someone posting in the milhist thread that the finnish army had a massive pants shortage in the Winter War.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I think I remember someone posting in the milhist thread that the finnish army had a massive pants shortage in the Winter War.

There was a massive everything shortage in the Winter War, and a bunch of dude fought in partial or mismatched uniforms. So basically there's a lot of leeway in Finnish soldiers' equipment.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

lilljonas posted:

Sunday is gunday!

Hello fellow Austrian cannon painter!

(I really should paint the rest of the crew)

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Class Warcraft posted:

I just got some new Zulu War minis and one of the carbines on my Natal Native Horsemen is very badly bent.

Depending on how thin it is I'd be tempted to just break it, then file it down and pin it back in place, then fill the gaps with green stuff. If it's already bent once it will bend again after you've painted it.

What scale Zulus?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Cessna posted:

Depending on how thin it is I'd be tempted to just break it, then file it down and pin it back in place, then fill the gaps with green stuff. If it's already bent once it will bend again after you've painted it.

What scale Zulus?

28mm. What I ended up doing is encasing it in milliput and glue, slowly bending it into position, then sanding it flush

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

You wouldn't happen to live near Colorado, would you? I've always wanted to do a Zulu Wargame. In a fit of madness I bought a few Foundry Zulus:

And a few Warlord Zulus:

And I've just started building them. I figure they'll be ready for a game in a year or two.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Cessna posted:

You wouldn't happen to live near Colorado, would you? I've always wanted to do a Zulu Wargame. In a fit of madness I bought a few Foundry Zulus:

And a few Warlord Zulus:

And I've just started building them. I figure they'll be ready for a game in a year or two.

I'm in Southern California, so if you're ever down here visiting Disneyland or whatever hit me up and we'll bash some Zulus against some redcoats.

Good luck with those impis. That's a lot of dudes to paint. I've found a quick method for batch painting Zulus is use Vallejo Beasty Brown spray primer (which goes on real smooth), paint all the non-skin bits, then wash the whole thing in Agrax Earthshade and the skin looks just right.

Speaking of Zulu War stuff, I finished a couple units today that I've been working on over the last two weeks. In retrospect I went a little overboard on the wash with these guys. Excuse the lovely pictures.

Natal Native Horse

Natal Native Contingent

Some Volunteer Cavalry dismounted with Rorke's Drift Defenders

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Class Warcraft posted:

I'm in Southern California, so if you're ever down here visiting Disneyland or whatever hit me up and we'll bash some Zulus against some redcoats.

I've got in-laws in LA, once things get back to normal I may be out there.

Class Warcraft posted:

Good luck with those impis. That's a lot of dudes to paint. I've found a quick method for batch painting Zulus is use Vallejo Beasty Brown spray primer (which goes on real smooth), paint all the non-skin bits, then wash the whole thing in Agrax Earthshade and the skin looks just right.

Nice. I'm pretty easy - I base with an automotive primer, airbrush brown from above, then do an oil wash. It works well and somehow ends up looking good.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
For anyone interested, a second tour of FNG is up here

Come see how well you would have done in country. join a platoon of hapless grunts and take on charlie!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

For anyone interested, a second tour of FNG is up here

Come see how well you would have done in country. join a platoon of hapless grunts and take on charlie!

Signed up :)

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Class Warcraft posted:

Honestly, check ebay frequently. I get great deals on stuff all the time there. I bought a 500 pt Finnish force there for like half of retail (which I'm now trying to sell since I have too many armies)

You can also try this site: https://www.waylandgames.co.uk/1514-finnish-forces.

All the other stores I use either don't stock Finns or are US based.

Even the brit and german ebays have a lot higher shipping than prices. Maybe it makes sense if I get more orders from one vendor..

Der Shovel posted:

I'm really not good at converting miniatures, but I suppose using German sprues would work in a pinch. Thanks!

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I usually paint tanks in 1:100/15mm, but I thought I'd give one of GHQ's 1:285/6mm Tigers a go:

Rather small.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Impressively detailed though, and extremely cute.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

Impressively detailed though, and extremely cute.

Agreed!

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

They're so cute when they're small. They're a pain to take care of when they get bigger, though. You get your kid a baby Tiger, and before you know it you have a 50 ton monster squatting in your garage, and are spending half your paycheck on petrol and bespoke artisanal spare parts made by a hermit in a log cabin in Bavaria.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Tias posted:

I'm really not good at converting miniatures, but I suppose using German sprues would work in a pinch. Thanks!

The good thing with Warlord's older plastics is that the weapons and all the arms are separate pieces, so if you want to kit out your Germans with papashas or Mosin-Nagants, you just have to glue the gun in place of the MP-40 or G43 that was supposed to go there :)

And as for the rest, it's fine as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Endman posted:

I usually paint tanks in 1:100/15mm, but I thought I'd give one of GHQ's 1:285/6mm Tigers a go:

Rather small.

Can musket fire penetrate a knee-high tiger?

Is their tiny, tiny AE shell enough to take a man’s leg off?