Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Veloxyll posted:

I thought that was just a garden variety AI rebellion. I mean, NOW Chaos gets in all your circuitry so new technology is heresy. But Chaos was a lot quieter in the oldendays. The Warp was still a perilous hellscape of damnation, mind you, but you could safely navigate WITHOUT sacrificing a thousand psykers a minute to keep you oriented.

Aren't Guard companies 1,000 or 10,000 strong by law also. Of course it's a lot easier to train and equip guardsmen than Spice Marines.
And, you know, occasionally entire campaigns of the guard DO still fall to the ruinous powers. But, eh, details.

Chaos was less active because the galaxy was more peaceful, but there were still three gods around long before Slaanesh and they could tempt people whether they were meat or metal.

The Astronomicon doesn't burn through 1,000 psykers a minute, it takes a day for them all to die. And the Astronomicon was created because the Emperor didn't have access to the technology that projected warp beacons available since they'd all been destroyed or shut down, so Warp travel was still plenty dangerous back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Raygereio posted:

It's still a long ways off, but I'm curious to see how you guys will handle Winter Assault.
This thread got me to reinstall the game and give it another attempt. But 15 years later I still have no idea what Relic expected you to do to win those campaigns.

I have never won a Soulstorm campaign, because gently caress that, but Dark Crusade, Winter Assault, and the base game are easy enough, you just have to have enough detectors to gently caress up the Eldar
E: I have been playing the series since release and owned every one on CDROM, so maybe I've lost perspective on how the campaigns actually are

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 18, 2020

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The Door Frame posted:

I have never won a Soulstorm campaign, because gently caress that, but Dark Crusade, Winter Assault, and the base game are easy enough, you just have to have enough detectors to gently caress up the Eldar
E: I have been playing the series since release and owned every one on CDROM, so maybe I've lost perspective on how the campaigns actually are

I think they were talking about it's heavily branched campaign rather than the actual beating of missions. If I recall the plan was to have each of them tackle a side of it.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

NewMars posted:

The thing about that is that dark age of technology stuff is completely insane and has been shown to hilariously outclass eldar stuff. Like one ship accidentally had it's AI reactivated and it was able to send an eldar ship several moments back in time just to make targeting easier before it eviscerated it. Overall the tech level of mankind at it's height seems to actually be somewhere between eldar and necron levels of bullshit.

On the flip side though it's not a played up as it is with the Imperium the Eldar are also for all intents and purposes suffering a dark age of technology as well. It's not the same as the Imperium which in many cases has forced stagnation but they too lost much if not most of their base industry and institutional knowledge in the fall. A whole lot of what they are playing around with would have considered 2nd rate or stop-gap at best during the height of the Eldar Empire. Even most of Craftworlds themselves, meant to able to be self-sufficient for decades to millenniums depending on the build, were at the end of the day simply glorified Treasure ships, not Arks as they are used now. And these are the people with Black-hole guns.

Hell, even the Crons are suffering from degradation as a whole lot of their poo poo simply won't reactivate anymore without being physically dug up and rebuilt. It's one of the themes of the setting everyone absolutely everyone is a shadow of what they were with one possibly two exceptions.

Humanity has fallen greatly since before Age of Strife and arguably again since the Hersey though in the latter case it's a weird sort of somethings were better back then and something are better now kind of situation. Every single Eldar faction is a pale shadow of the might of Eldar empire. Much of what the Necrons built and hid simply doesn't work anymore damaged by either accidents, outside interference, and/or in some cases just plain time. Chaos is in a constant state of well chaos. Even the Orks were once the mighty Krorks which were bigger, smarter, far more organized, and slightly less prone to letting their basic impulses drive them.

Which leaves the Nids. Who may or may not be feeling something even more terrible than they are. And well the Tau. Hell, even Tau for all their innovation got a whole lot of their stuff from reverse engineering a wrecked ship and any other piece of advanced technology they can get their hands on.

cokerpilot fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 18, 2020

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

The Door Frame posted:

There's a mod for persistent structures in Soulstorm that helps a ton.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

NewMars posted:

The thing about that is that dark age of technology stuff is completely insane and has been shown to hilariously outclass eldar stuff. Like one ship accidentally had it's AI reactivated and it was able to send an eldar ship several moments back in time just to make targeting easier before it eviscerated it. Overall the tech level of mankind at it's height seems to actually be somewhere between eldar and necron levels of bullshit.

Isn't one of the defenses in Sol a pre-fall space cannon that transports whatever it hits a few microseconds back in time, causing two versions of it to occupy the same point in space and annihilating both of them?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Gothsheep posted:

Isn't one of the defenses in Sol a pre-fall space cannon that transports whatever it hits a few microseconds back in time, causing two versions of it to occupy the same point in space and annihilating both of them?
While I approve of the gross overkill, what is the point of doing that?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Sylphosaurus posted:

Have you SEEN 40k? Gross overkill is barely enough.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Sylphosaurus posted:

so you can go back in time to kill your previous self so you can have two of your favorite gun

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Gothsheep posted:

I believe that was actually the spinal mount on an Ark Mechanicus from one of the priests of mars novels. It took a personal appeal to the Machine Spirit/AI that ran the ship, and no one knows how to activate it properly.

Sylphosaurus posted:

so that if you miss with the gun bit, the time bit retcons you into not missing

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

cokerpilot posted:

Which leaves the Nids. Who may or may not be feeling something even more terrible than they are.

Feeling what? A really bad hangover? Yeah I guess we've all been there; definitely explains why they're so cranky all the time.

(yes I know that was a typo)

Although I've always wondered if the 'nids choosing this galaxy to invade might have something to do with the ginormous psychic beacon on Terra. Like a giant "All You Can Eat" sign hanging over the galaxy.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
It was actually a Necron warp beacon on Ultramar that was activated during the Heresy. But they are being drawn towards the Astronomicon now.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Veloxyll posted:

Have you SEEN 40k? Gross overkill is barely enough.

This, there are things in 40k that will only be ANNOYED by getting space-time exploded.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Although I've always wondered if the 'nids choosing this galaxy to invade might have something to do with the ginormous psychic beacon on Terra. Like a giant "All You Can Eat" sign hanging over the galaxy.
Wasn't it a thing that all the different hive fleets seemed to be on a course for Terra?

The Door Frame posted:

DoW1 is relatively easy. Your basic Space Marine squads are beefy enough to allow you to win every mission with attack-move if you want.
But for Winter Assault Relic seemed to want to experiment with their mission structure/objectives. Some are interesting ideas and give you something else to do then the basic destroy-base stuff. But mission 4 for Disorder has an timed objective, so you need to rush. But the game gives you nothing to rush with. And you need to manage two races at the same time, which doesn't work because the controls don't let you control both at the same time.
:shrug: I dunno. I remember getting frustrated with that mission 10+ years ago and still got frustrated when I tried it again yesterday. I'm really curious to see how Coolguye or TheLastRoboKy will manage it.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

White Coke posted:

It was actually a Necron warp beacon on Ultramar that was activated during the Heresy. But they are being drawn towards the Astronomicon now.

Hahaha, of course it's Necron Bullshit that started all this.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Mokinokaro posted:

There's a mod for persistent structures in Soulstorm that helps a ton.

I might give that a go. I just tried to play Soulstorm for the first time (LOVE LOVE LOVE Dark Crusade). I played Chaos, beat like 4-5 maps, then I had to defend for the first time, on a map I just beat and I'm back to square one. Time to play the exact same map again! Yeah, such exciting gameplay playing the same map twice in a row.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Sylphosaurus posted:

Ask yourself : if you could build a weaponized time/matter disruptor that exploded poo poo at the atomic level no matter what you're shooting it at... wouldn't you ?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Surely the tried-and-true method of "just jam a couple C'tan in the battery slot" will never have side effects!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Considering that the usual Nid reaction to Necron Tombworlds is "NOPE NOPE NOPE", it wasn't that bad of an idea for the Necrons, honestly.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

my dad posted:

Considering that the usual Nid reaction to Necron Tombworlds is "NOPE NOPE NOPE", it wasn't that bad of an idea for the Necrons, honestly.
Devouring everything not Necron is certainly a novel way of making sure those damned kids stay off their lawn.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Oh no the totally endless tyranid swarm which everyone fears except for space marines who are the protagonists so they always win, necrons who kick them off the lawn, chaos who throw demons at them, orks who are overjoyed to see them and they themselves are running scared from the giant fly swatter in their previous galaxy. Only the eldar, tau and imperial guard soil their boots at their approach. Pathetic discount zerg. :v:

SoundwaveAU posted:

I might give that a go. I just tried to play Soulstorm for the first time (LOVE LOVE LOVE Dark Crusade). I played Chaos, beat like 4-5 maps, then I had to defend for the first time, on a map I just beat and I'm back to square one. Time to play the exact same map again! Yeah, such exciting gameplay playing the same map twice in a row.
Having to play the same battles on the regular skirmish maps really blows. If I wanted to play skirmish battles I would've played skirmish battles in the first place. :argh:

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Seeing this thread makes me want to replay DoW. Was going to start with the original, but I might as well just replay Dark Crusade for the 10th time. Never played Soulstorm, how was the campaign in that?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Shyfted One posted:

Seeing this thread makes me want to replay DoW. Was going to start with the original, but I might as well just replay Dark Crusade for the 10th time. Never played Soulstorm, how was the campaign in that?

It featured the glorious and well recited lines of indrick boreal, what more do you need to know?

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Shyfted One posted:

I've never played it, but I have watched an LP of it. My takeaway is that the nuts and bolts of gameplay is a mixed bag. They occasionally try and mix up the skirmish maps by giving you objectives other than 'kill the other guy' like take-and-hold or whatever, but in practice it's still easier to just murderize them. The map doesn't have any 'special regions' like the Hyperion Peaks, either. Instead, all the special abilities are shuffled into the strongholds, meaning each faction also gets one to start with. The Stronghold gimmicks never felt as interesting to me as the ones in Dark Crusade either, but that could just be because I wasn't the one playing them. At the same time though, none of them seemed to be murderously painful like the Dark Crusade Tau or Necron base.

I think someone in this thread mentioned that there was a mod for Soulstorm that made bases persist between attacks like they do in Dark Crusade. Donno what it is or where you'd get it though.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The real ultimate boss of Dark Crusade is the Eldar province guarding the way to the Eldar stronghold.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

Oh no the totally endless tyranid swarm which everyone fears except for space marines who are the protagonists so they always win, necrons who kick them off the lawn, chaos who throw demons at them, orks who are overjoyed to see them and they themselves are running scared from the giant fly swatter in their previous galaxy. Only the eldar, tau and imperial guard soil their boots at their approach. Pathetic discount zerg. :v:

Except the Ultramarines who were so traumatized by their experience that they went against the codex itself to field squads whose whole point of existence is to hunt them down. Or the Blood Angels and Necrons that were forced to work together to stop them even before the Necrons got their personality update. There is no fear with the orks but they have managed to create such a hellish breeding ground between the two races that whichever one manages to break the stalemate will proceed to wreck everything even remotely near them. The only one you kind of have a point about is chaos and that is because they seem to rarely get involved with them.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

my dad posted:

The real ultimate boss of Dark Crusade is the Eldar province guarding the way to the Eldar stronghold.

I just finished replaying Dark Crusade using the Titanium Wars mod. For all the things I love about that mod, the way it jacked up the difficulty of enemy strongholds made me want to punch someone sometimes. The Eldar, Necron and Tau bases were particularly rough, but special mention has to be made for the Space Marine base, where they gave the Marines two groups of artillery on ridges that were close enough to fire directly into your base at the very start of the game, but the ridges themselves could only be accessed by going around behind them, through massive defense groups.

After I sniped their artillery down it wasn't that hard, but loving hell, having 4 Whirlwind artillery tanks constantly shelling into my base from the first 10 seconds of gameplay was not fun.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Yeah, the Tau stronghold sucks in DC. Need so many detectors. Necron sucks, but I still usually take them out 1st or at least early on because they're a much bigger pain in the rear end once they get going.

Structures not staying after winning a map sounds annoying for Soulstorm. I guess there's a mod, but :effort:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

At least Dark Crusade had this tiny map where you could set up turrets in range of most of their starting buildings. Fun.

Hunt11 posted:

Except the Ultramarines who were so traumatized by their experience that they went against the codex itself to field squads whose whole point of existence is to hunt them down. Or the Blood Angels and Necrons that were forced to work together to stop them even before the Necrons got their personality update. There is no fear with the orks but they have managed to create such a hellish breeding ground between the two races that whichever one manages to break the stalemate will proceed to wreck everything even remotely near them. The only one you kind of have a point about is chaos and that is because they seem to rarely get involved with them.
I didn't expect space marines to team up with necrons of all the factions. Neat.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

There is no fear with the orks but they have managed to create such a hellish breeding ground between the two races that whichever one manages to break the stalemate will proceed to wreck everything even remotely near them.

Yeah about that...

Also there's that time the only thing that could save the Blood Angels from getting completely wiped out on Baal was their actual nemesis going "gently caress that, I want to be the ones who kill them".

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Necrons didn't turn it on, the Ultramarines did. :v:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

my dad posted:

:emptyquote:

Shyfted One posted:

It's a ton of fun until you get to defensive missions and find out that no buildings persist, and once you get near an enemy base and they attackevery turn, it makes the game unbelievably tedious. As always, there's a mod that's been mentioned to fix it, but I can't believe that people playtested it and said it was fun

Poil posted:

At least Dark Crusade had this tiny map where you could set up turrets in range of most of their starting buildings. Fun.

Or if you go Necron, you can build close enough to the spawn points while you're winning the assault on any map so that on defensive missions, you can just teleport your monolith into their base, warp your garrison to it, and quickly spit out destroyers before their first heavy infantry squad can be built.
I may or may not have put ~25 hours into the game since this LP was started

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Poil posted:

I, uh, think that's just what the Imperial Guard does whenever anyone shows up. I know I would.

Well except the Tau. No one's gonna be afraid of the loving Tau. I mean, lol.

Hunt11 posted:

There is no fear with the orks but they have managed to create such a hellish breeding ground between the two races that whichever one manages to break the stalemate will proceed to wreck everything even remotely near them.

An' wots wrong wit' dat humie? Dat sounds like a stompin' good time to me!

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Episode 4: Destroy the Xenos

In today's Orkamungus, Captain Orkamungus of the Orka Mungus Chapter of Orkamungus strike out of the city of Magna Mungus to Orka the Mungus Orkamungus Orkamungus Orka Orka! O R K A M U N G U S.

The Door Frame posted:

It's a ton of fun until you get to defensive missions and find out that no buildings persist, and once you get near an enemy base and they attackevery turn, it makes the game unbelievably tedious. As always, there's a mod that's been mentioned to fix it, but I can't believe that people playtested it and said it was fun

Not going to lie when someone mentioned the mod that fixes the building persistence issue to be back to Dark Crusade style I popped my eyebrows and hope filled my soul. But on the playtesting side it is worth noting that Iron Lore, the ones behind the expansion, were in dire financial straits at the time and I think money ran out right as they got to releasing Soulstorm. QA might have suffered somewhat. They definitely shut down afterwards because they couldn't get any financial injections for any further projects.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Episode 4: Destroy the Xenos

In today's Orkamungus, Captain Orkamungus of the Orka Mungus Chapter of Orkamungus strike out of the city of Magna Mungus to Orka the Mungus Orkamungus Orkamungus Orka Orka! O R K A M U N G U S.

Da Kodeks Orkstartez callz dis manueva MOAR DAKKA

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Not going to lie when someone mentioned the mod that fixes the building persistence issue to be back to Dark Crusade style I popped my eyebrows and hope filled my soul. But on the playtesting side it is worth noting that Iron Lore, the ones behind the expansion, were in dire financial straits at the time and I think money ran out right as they got to releasing Soulstorm. QA might have suffered somewhat. They definitely shut down afterwards because they couldn't get any financial injections for any further projects.

Something someone told me a long time ago is that, if you found a problem in the game, then 99% chance that the QA found it too. Just because QA finds something doesn't mean the design team actually fixes it.

Don't blame QA for not finding it, blame project management and engineering for not fixing it.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Coolguye posted:

I'm gonna be honest I'm a little bit drunk right now, but

so am i; but from now on please provide specifics on the exact mixture you use to better venerate the Emperor so that the audience may better follow along. otherwise i'll just keep drinking whatever cheap brandy i have on hand

also "turtling" is just what impatient idiots who can't wait a month to permanently advance a hundred feet call strategy. unrelated, but i can't wait until you get to the Imperial Guard and bring the sky down on some fools

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Stormboys come in two forms. Those who strap rockets to their backs and those who believe they are masters of stealth. To the surprise of no one they suck at stealth but no one sees it coming so they can still surprise those they come up against.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

so am i; but from now on please provide specifics on the exact mixture you use to better venerate the Emperor so that the audience may better follow along. otherwise i'll just keep drinking whatever cheap brandy i have on hand

also "turtling" is just what impatient idiots who can't wait a month to permanently advance a hundred feet call strategy. unrelated, but i can't wait until you get to the Imperial Guard and bring the sky down on some fools

That night it was an entire 750ml of https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1416/72838/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
"So I sayz to that humie teachin' person the only letters I need ta know is W, A, A, A, A... and GH!"