Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Mattjpwns posted:

same

if it were any other state they'd still be smug shitlords about where they live and going "well this could never happen in Victoria, where the streets are paved with gold and it rains craft beers and farts smell like candy!"

Someone is very mad about the best state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

CelestialScribe posted:

dunno about anyone else but as a VIC this attitude is really annoying. no one needs your thanks.

obviously he wasnt talking to you, you were the one breaking lockdown.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Celestial scribe is banished no need to keep poking them

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

freebooter posted:

This is all correct, and simply demonstrates that Australia is still a deeply English nation

It only comes off as unique since postwar Britain has become even more hosed up in its own special way

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Tommunist posted:

Someone is very mad about the best state

so mad

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Ye

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
That Dandrews quoting "get on the beers" song is a loving banger though. #perthisok #ohnobasilzempilas

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Les Affaires posted:

I live in WA and would be fine with the border being closed for another year.

I think a lot of east coasters don't realise how infrequently West Australians travel interstate in the first place. All my family is there but in the five years prior to COVID I think I'd gone back to visit maybe two or three times? It costs $400-$500 and flying back to Melbourne, because of the distance and time difference, takes basically a full day. Compared to friends I have who come from Sydney and are used to going back every other month because it's a one hour, $70 flight.

I wouldn't be surprised if the average Perthie flew to Bali or Thailand more often than the east coast, and since that's off the table for everyone anyway, I'm not surprised at all that everyone I know back home is more than happy to sacrifice interstate travel for a largely pre-pandemic life.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

lol if you live in wa tbh

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Stay safe, heroes

https://mobile.twitter.com/cameronwilson/status/1318436057482866690

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
https://twitter.com/abcmelbourne/status/1318442853534609409

Meanwhile it's illegal for me to see people from 2 different houses at once.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I was really hoping the loving racing would be cancelled this year

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Shits so loving dumb aha

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

EoinCannon posted:

I was really hoping the loving racing would be cancelled this year

I was looking forward to this silver lining

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
gently caress horse racing and gently caress the blatant corruption that lets them get away with poo poo like this

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
imagine the loving vice the gambling industry has on the premier's balls to get him to announce this bullshit.

Absolutely pathetic, should have told them to gently caress off they can go murder their horses interstate like the AFL did.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Yeast posted:

https://twitter.com/abcmelbourne/status/1318442853534609409

Meanwhile it's illegal for me to see people from 2 different houses at once.

Woah, slow down there CS

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Super fund members are being urged to check if they are on track for retirement after new figures revealed exactly how much money they should have in their accounts.

Data from the Association of Superannuation Funds of Australia showed Australians needed the following amounts in super to be heading for a comfortable retirement:

• A 30-year-old should have $61,000.

• A 40-year-old $154,000.

• A 50-year-old $271,000.

• A 60-year-old $430,000.

These amounts are to achieve a comfortable retirement at age 67 when singles should have $545,000 in retirement savings and couples $640,000.

That equates to an annual pre-tax income of $65,000 and with investment returns at 6.7 per cent.

A comfortable retirement enables a healthy retiree to have a good standard of living including top level private health insurance, travel on domestic and international holidays, own a reasonable car and have a good internet service and mobile phone allowance.

ASFA’s chief executive officer Dr Martin Fahy says it is important that Australians pay attention to their balances because “super plays a critical role in helping Australians achieve the standard of living in retirement that they want and deserve”.

“If today’s young people are to avoid ending up on not much more than the Age Pension, every single dollar contributed to superannuation counts.”

Under the Federal Government’s early access to superannuation scheme about 2.89 million people have withdrawn about $35.9 billion, decimating many account balances.

Compulsory super payments are scheduled to rise from 9.5 per cent to 10 per cent in July, then up to 12 per cent by 2025.

The move had resulted in intense political debate and challenges could be made to stop the scheduled legislated increases from going ahead.

In recent weeks millions of Australians have begun receiving their annual super statements from their funds.

AustralianSuper group executive of membership Rose Kerlin — whose fund is one of the largest with has 2.3 million people on its books — said members should be paying attention to their balances and taking action to bolster their savings.

“The most important thing you should check with your super fund is the performance of your super fund and what fees are, make sure you’re in a high performing fund with lower fees,” she said.

“Boosting your super with voluntary contributions is a great way to help reach your goals.”

Ms Kerlin also said salary sacrificing was important allowing members to put some of their salary straight into their super account instead of bank account.

“This has a double benefit, you pay less tax and it reduces your taxable income.”

AustralianSuper data shows the average balance for a 30 to 39-year old female is $38,000 and male $48,000.

For those aged 50 to 59 their data found the average balance for a female is $104,000 and a male $152,000.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

If you’re voluntarily topping up your super at 30 you’re showing a quite frankly reckless level of confidence that society will exist in any recognisable form in 35 years time imho

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
young australians worried about their retirement can rest assured that the federal government will provide a sophisticated cashless card system so that future pensioners can still make purchases from the gulag supermarket

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Sulla Faex posted:

young australians worried about their retirement can rest assured that the federal government will provide a sophisticated cashless card system so that future pensioners can still make purchases from the gulag supermarket

And bet on the ponies. The tracks runs around a suspended catwalk

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Solemn Sloth posted:

If you’re voluntarily topping up your super at 30 you’re showing a quite frankly reckless level of confidence that society will exist in any recognisable form in 35 years time imho

40+ years, no way retirement age will be 65 in 2055.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Senor Tron posted:

40+ years, no way retirement age will be 65 in 2055.

Yeah good point

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

How the hell anyone in the larger cities are meant to save for retirement baffles me.

Living in Adelaide we were lucky to get a modest place that I'd be happy to stay in for the rest of my life. We'll try and get the mortgage paid off then have a couple of decades to save for retirement. I can't imagine how on Earth we'd do it if the mortgage was the 250k more we would have paid for something similar in Melbourne or Sydney.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Are you a retiree with a low pension? Grandkids dont make enough in the code mines to pay the interest on your gambling debts? Then why not move to the Glue Factory, the latest in ultra high density low income housing initiatives from the Strong Economy party! The only aged care home slash glue factory with a federally-certified "Battery Farm Fresh" rating!

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

You’d sell your house and downsize and have more savings in the form of the capital growth of your initial house.

Or downsize and rent your house out.

Or buy another place and negative gear it.

Your future is as safe as houses.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Have you considered inheriting money?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Those numbers are assuredly based off working full time at a place which actually pays into your super since you were 18.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I guess the research didnt factor in all those hospitality jobs where the manager forgot to pay super but its okay I'm working on it, I'll pay you next week I swear.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Terrible system

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Oct 20, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Recoome posted:

Those numbers are assuredly based off working full time at a place which actually pays into your super since you were 18.

They're just what you "should" have to retire comfy. Next to nobody actually has this amount of super irl.

I've got a lot of super because it's tax beneficial, earns good returns for little management cost and most importantly it will probably be deregulated by the tories soon so it's basically a liquid asset.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Anidav posted:

• A 30-year-old should have $61,000.

• A 40-year-old $154,000.

*Checks fund as a 37 year old*

Estimated super balance
As at 20/10/2020
$4,829.41

:hmmno:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah i'm pretty far under 60K

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/martinpakulamp/status/1318509434738339840?s=21
https://twitter.com/MartinPakulaMP/status/1318509582075842560

https://twitter.com/MrTimCallanan/status/1318511592384860161

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Love to Respect the Occasion

RC Bandit
Sep 7, 2012

Hanson: It's Time

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm in the 30 year bracket and my super is like half of the "expected amount".

Then again my personal shares value covers the gap, so I guess I'm on track.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'll just inherit a lot of money, I am adulting great!

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I’m ahead of where I should be it seems.

I guess hard work really does pay off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nocturama
Dec 26, 2007

i got double the super but my partners got gently caress all, so even i guess