Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Those look sick.

I just bought a fishing kayak for my wife and I. It came with a home made dolly I could probably turn into a boat trailer for when I want to take either the kayak or the canoe out.

Human powered transport best transport, although just like I'm coming around to ebikes being an awesome solution for riding, especially utility riding, we've got a rad little electric trolling motor for the boats now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

CopperHound posted:

E-braking works really good
It's awesome. FWIW I've been using regen braking as my primary way of shedding speed for about four years now and it's never let me down yet. Super smooth and silent, no mechanical wear or overheating, predictable regardless of weather and impossible to lock the wheel up even on super slippery ice.

Before I bought a bakfiets I was seriously considering a motorised trailer for heavy hauling, dreaming of a surge-actuated speed controller if that makes sense. It would be awesome to have a trailer that you never really noticed. Now I'm thinking of building a contraption for hauling a kayak too. It's a pretty long craft so I would be the longest thing on the bike paths by a wide margin but it would allow me to explore more water in less time so I think I'm gonna do it, somehow. Eventually.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I am really, really happy that I finally got my poo poo together enough to commute by bike. Thanks again to everyone here.

In honour of SomethingAwful.com, all the help that goons have given, and because I spend WAY too much time here procrastinating like mad, I picked up some novelty tire-valve caps:
Bike stuff by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

And I detoured a bit on my morning commute to pick up some cheap gloves and a cheap water bottle with cage at Big W.
Bike stuff by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Big W is a department store. The bike section at the back of the store has mostly children's bikes but a few adult models, too. As is clear from this and several other threads, department-store brand bikes are the ones to avoid. So, I noted that Diamondback, the brand on my gloves, is also the brand of the $320 front-suspension "mountain" bikes at Big W. Shiny, red, disk brakes, but on my "do not buy" list for my plan to look for my next bike in second-hand market (FB and Gumtree).

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

ExecuDork posted:

So, I noted that Diamondback... on my "do not buy" list for my plan to look for my next bike in second-hand market (FB and Gumtree).
This is a hard one. Diamondback does make quality bikes that are a good value in the $700-$1800usd range. They just also happen to let their name appear on poo poo department store bikes.

e: I just took a peek at their website, it looks like they recently made huge slashes to the number of different models between their brands.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Oct 13, 2020

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Good to know, thanks. I've got a fair bit of thinking and planning to do in the next little while. I'm hoping to buy myself a "new to me" bike for a christmas present, but the choices are currently overwhelming. A quick look on Facebook marketplace shows almost nothing local, but possibly plenty of options in the bigger cities of Newcastle (1 million people, 3 hours drive away) and Sydney (5 million, 5 hours). And I don't have a car, complicating go-and-see plans. But I have months to work on this. I *think* I want a hardtail mountain bike, but beyond that I'm still coming up with stupid ideas.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

Good to know, thanks. I've got a fair bit of thinking and planning to do in the next little while. I'm hoping to buy myself a "new to me" bike for a christmas present, but the choices are currently overwhelming. A quick look on Facebook marketplace shows almost nothing local, but possibly plenty of options in the bigger cities of Newcastle (1 million people, 3 hours drive away) and Sydney (5 million, 5 hours). And I don't have a car, complicating go-and-see plans. But I have months to work on this. I *think* I want a hardtail mountain bike, but beyond that I'm still coming up with stupid ideas.
Have you thought about the kind of riding you want to do, and what the terrain's like around your parts? Do you want the hardtail for versatility?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'm just starting to explore the local terrain. My commute is mostly on a multi-use path, lots of walkers/runners, dog-walkers, other bikes, etc. But it's pretty short - 6.5 km (about 4 miles) and there are reasonable alternatives on city streets running parallel for anyone wanting to go faster. So far, the drivers here seem pretty good about bikes, and talking with a few people I know who ride regularly, this town's roads are not bad.

I've been told about the surroundings. There are some well-known rides in the sort of 40-80km range that are mostly on paved highway with good shoulder (though I've been warned about a hill with no shoulder on a rural highway). And there are several mountain bike trail networks within easy reach, including a little mtb park on campus and the "Pine Forest" about 10km from my house. Further away there's the edge of the New England Tablelands, a complex of national parks covering the complex terrain where this plateau I live on tumbles down towards the coast through temperate rain forest. There are gorges and parks and waterfalls galore within 50 km of me and I know a couple of people who like to tell me stories about eating poo poo on rocky, rooty trails.
Mountain bike trails on campus at UNE. by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
This is about 300m from my office, and seems like a great place to go when I've been spending too much time staring at numbers on my computer screen.

So, yes, I want a hardtail for versatility. The less-than-optimal features of a hardtail for an urban-ish commute won't really hamper me on my modest commute, and I'm not planning on jumping into any really gnarly moutain biking any time soon. Plus I've always wanted a bike with compressy-bits on the front.

EDIT: I guess the other option I'm considering is a gravel bike, which would do very well (I assume) on the many dirt roads and farm tracks around here but perhaps not so well on the mountain bike trails. Plus a gravel bike seems like the more expensive option, and I don't see many that look like that (drop bars, wide-ish tires) on the used market.

One of the two LBS here sells Norco - which I like because I'm a Canadian living in Australia - and I've been eyeing the Norco Storm 5 but that's just a starting point.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 15, 2020

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
Coincidentally, there's a milk chain throughout NSW called Norco as well!

Have you managed to experience any magpies whilst out riding yet? They're a great, free performance boost! Sadly only available from September to November :(

For actual content, I did my usual weekend ride on Tuesday, albeit with an eight hour work day in-between segments :I

It was amazing doing two of the three worst hills in the way in to work in the morning. Perfect temperature and I got to shower after suffering up them!

Then had to endure the worst, rolling 5% hill over ~3km on the way home. I hate it, but I did it. Thankfully it's literally all downhill from there though!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Yeah, when I googled "Norco" the page was an interesting mix of bikes and dairy. I'll have to see if I can get a Norco (dairy) water-bottle to fit a bike. Or just clean out a chocolate-milk bottle and see if it fits. Y'know, get a bit meta.

Magpies: yup! I've only had two interactions with them so far, in a week + 1/2 day of commuting. My first ride, I actually ran into a magpie. A juvenile was on the path, in a part with open-mesh fencing on both sides (the city was apparently doing something to the grass), with a mesh size big enough to allow a magpie through with its wings folded. This juvie didn't know how to smoothly dive through a fence like that and took off kinda slow, right across my path. I was slowing down so my front fork just brushed the tail feathers as it desperately tried to work the complex maneuver of landing on the horizontal wire, folding wings, and passing through. It never seemed to occur to the bird that it might be able to just climb high enough to clear the fence - it was only about a metre tall.
The second was a more typical pair of swoops by an adult as I passed through its territory. It did not make contact, got within about 1 metre above me.

I was also attacked by a duck. As I passed a family of Pacific Black Ducks the mom charged me, hissing. Again, no contact, no harm no fowl foul.

A colleague has given up on riding this spring. She was attacked consistently at four places on her commute, and has decided to stay off the bike until December. I'm not worried, but I'm slightly masochistic when it comes to animal attacks, I'll probably show off with a goofy grin on my face to everyone any injuries I get from magpies.

This morning my hatred of the hill was a little more than I expected, given how yesterday was a really good day both directions. Oh well. Metaphorical ups-and-downs are as much a part of my slowly improving fitness as the literal ups-and-downs.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

ExecuDork posted:

Yeah, when I googled "Norco" the page was an interesting mix of bikes and dairy. I'll have to see if I can get a Norco (dairy) water-bottle to fit a bike. Or just clean out a chocolate-milk bottle and see if it fits. Y'know, get a bit meta.

Not to derail, but Norco is also a very commonly prescribed opioid (hydrocodone) in the US, and it weirds me out when I hear the word used outside of that context whether for bikes or anything else. There's a North Coventry township close to me so I see it used by businesses as a portmanteau all the time and it's still weird.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Not to derail, but Norco is also a very commonly prescribed opioid (hydrocodone) in the US, and it weirds me out when I hear the word used outside of that context whether for bikes or anything else. There's a North Coventry township close to me so I see it used by businesses as a portmanteau all the time and it's still weird.

Norco is also a city in California.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

McPhearson posted:

Norco is also a city in California.

And it’s the most bizarre :911: place I’ve ever seen in my life, the lines on the road are painted red white and blue and instead of paved sidewalks they have loose sandy horse paths.

I wish I were making this up.

e:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9384949,-117.5391183,3a,75y,280.12h,81.79t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sEU10OUHy-abB-_LLVASPrQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 16, 2020

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

e.pilot posted:

And it’s the most bizarre :911: place I’ve ever seen in my life, the lines on the road are painted red white and blue and instead of paved sidewalks they have loose sandy horse paths.

I wish I were making this up.

e:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9384949,-117.5391183,3a,75y,280.12h,81.79t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sEU10OUHy-abB-_LLVASPrQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Whoa

https://goo.gl/maps/jpDRavLBoSCurjoE8

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

It is an absurd place you’d think was satire if someone told you about it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

I was also attacked by a duck. As I passed a family of Pacific Black Ducks the mom charged me, hissing. Again, no contact, no harm no fowl foul.
A mate once smacked a goose right across the neck using her frame pump like a expandable baton and I was in awe.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Hello fellow bikers! My old beater I rescued from the side of the road is starting to wear out and I'm finally in a position where I can look at buying something new instead of trying to repair it and keep it limping along.

She's been a faithful old steed.
I have more money to play with than I've ever had in my life. I'd like something with click-shifters and drop-bars and lighter and faster than a rusted road bike from the 70s. I'm honestly not too picky about the rest. Are disc brakes a good idea? I don't know! It doesn't rain much here. I'm very open to any suggestions.
Height: 6 feet
Inseam: 30 inches
Budget: up to $3000 (if the extra money makes a big difference, I'm also ok getting something for like $1000 or something because I'm just going to commute and bike around for fun, I don't need something for cross-country journeys or racing)
Length of commute: 5 miles if using the metro, 20 miles by bike alone
Terrain: roads and dirt/gravel bike trails

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Does your budget include accessories like fenders and lights? Depending on what your lockup situation is like at work going with the lower end of your budget isn't such a bad idea, you can get a pretty decent modern-ish commuter in the cheaper end of your budget and spend the extra on kit that makes the commute easier and/or more fun.

Disc brakes are cool and good, especially if you're getting something new. Mechanical discs are only preferred for niche situations that you're not likely to find yourself in, so go with proper hydraulics.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Zonko_T.M. posted:

This and other SA threads have taught me several new terms. One of these is "gravel bike". I interpret this term as "drop bars, not-super-skinny tires, ideal for soft-surface roads and paths".

https://cycletraveloverload.com/best-gravel-bikes-under-1000-for-2021-budget-gravel-bikes/
First hit from a google search for "$1000 gravel bike disk brakes"

Maybe that's a place to start?

In other animal-attack news, I have now been swooped by magpies on two occassions. It feels like an Australian rite of passage. And that same momma duck charged me again but got nowhere near.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Zonko_T.M. posted:

I have more money to play with than I've ever had in my life. I'd like something with click-shifters and drop-bars and lighter and faster than a rusted road bike from the 70s. I'm honestly not too picky about the rest. Are disc brakes a good idea? I don't know! It doesn't rain much here. I'm very open to any suggestions.

At least take a look at the Jamis Renegade line, it's one of the ones I always go back to when I think about retiring my crosscheck, and it sounds like we do relatively similar riding. It's a full range so take your pick on the price point. I've done a couple test rides on them and was pretty pleased. TBH the only reason I haven't bought one is because I'll inevitably build up from a frame to suit my stupid idiosyncratic taste in bikes.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Hello fellow bikers! My old beater I rescued from the side of the road is starting to wear out and I'm finally in a position where I can look at buying something new instead of trying to repair it and keep it limping along.

She's been a faithful old steed.
Budget: up to $3000 (if the extra money makes a big difference, I'm also ok getting something for like $1000 or something because I'm just going to commute and bike around for fun, I don't need something for cross-country journeys or racing)

https://www.prioritybicycles.com/products/priority-apollo

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
This morning was the first commute of the season below freezing. Like a total noob I had neglected to displace the water in my shifter cable and was stuck in first gear for 18 km. Electricity got me to work almost in time but I got really cold and bored since I couldn't pedal in any meaningful way. My colleague who has a similar bike was worse off though since he has cable brakes that were both frozen solid.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Invalido posted:

This morning was the first commute of the season below freezing. Like a total noob I had neglected to displace the water in my shifter cable and was stuck in first gear for 18 km. Electricity got me to work almost in time but I got really cold and bored since I couldn't pedal in any meaningful way. My colleague who has a similar bike was worse off though since he has cable brakes that were both frozen solid.

...how much below?

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

100YrsofAttitude posted:

...how much below?

Just a few degrees, but enough to turn water solid. The bike is parked outside so it doesn't really matter as long as it's negative centigrade.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

How is there that much water in your housing?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Invalido posted:

Just a few degrees, but enough to turn water solid. The bike is parked outside so it doesn't really matter as long as it's negative centigrade.

True enough. Our basement hasn't got any heating structures in it, aside from being underground, and it's wear we keep our bikes. I hope that won't prove to be an issue for us. It rarely gets below freezing here anyway, but oof, riding in that weather isn't ideal. I used to do that a lot back in college but the trips were definitely far far shorter, 15 minutes tops.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

How is there that much water in your housing?

I don't think it's necessaily a lot, but there's a huge surface area between the wire and the sheath, so I'd imagine a very small amount would be enough. I have a purpose made T-peice installed in the middle of the housing so it's an easy matter to spray some WD-40 or similar in there and push the water out the ends, but I neglected to do so all summer. Depending on how much the bike gets rained on I have to repeat this procedure a few times per winter. Replacing the cable entirely only helps for a while until it gets freeze-prone again and that gets tedious and expensive so I'd rather just keep spraying it when it becomes sticky (I usually get some warning with an increasingly sticky cable before it freezes solid).

I have the option to take the bike inside both at home and at work but it's big and heavy and I usually can't be bothered unless I need to thaw it out for maintenance or something or I know it's worth it because of incoming snow/freezing rain. Also at home I can only store it inside in a poorly insulated shed I'd rather keep cold for economic reasons.

But yes, winter riding in Stockholm kind of sucks, but it's manageable and preferable to the alternatives. The city is excellent at clearing snow and ice on most of my commute path which is nice. My biggest problem is cold, rain and darkness combined. I need goggles for the cold, and rain drops on those make a lot of glare from headlights and streetlights. I bought some rain repellant windsceen product last winter which helped a little but visibility can still be problematic.

A nice thing is that Schwalbe has upgraded their studded tires with puncture protection. I have a new set of those waiting for weather that warrants their use. Hopefully I don't need to fix any flats this winter, but we shall see. Roadside repairs always suck but much more so when it's cold and dark.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
It's not even officially fall yet and it's cold as poo poo I got snowed on at work the marshes are freezing over I just put the studded tires back in my bike and bought a second set of cobra fist pogies for my commuter because gently caress winter aaaaaagh.

Time for winter commuting :getin:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

EvilJoven posted:

It's not even officially fall yet and it's cold as poo poo I got snowed on at work the marshes are freezing over I just put the studded tires back in my bike and bought a second set of cobra fist pogies for my commuter because gently caress winter aaaaaagh.

Time for winter commuting :getin:
Astronomically, fall in Manitoba is from autumn equinox (on or about 22 September) until the winter solstice (on or about 22 December). But practically, and taking into account local climate (i.e. it's called Winterpeg for a reason) fall in southern Manitoba is whatever week (at most) that the daytime and nighttime temperatures are about 20 and about zero, respectively.

It's the same in Saskatoon, the leaves on the aspens and poplars turn yellow but they don't fall off until they're falling on snow, or if it hasn't snowed yet, falling into frozen puddles or onto frost-covered dead grass.

Spring is worse, though. Just find some other place to be in April, the whole month is nothing but brown and grey and dogshit.

EDIT: fall in northern Manitoba is just the afternoon of the Saturday of the second weekend in September. Sunday morning it's Early Winter. Further north, fall doesn't exist. It's just summer (12 C, sunny) directly to Early Winter (-5 C, cloudy).

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 21, 2020

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Welp for some reason I was remembering the fall equinox as Oct 22 not Sept 22.

Still, it's so loving cold when we put our canoe into the creek last Sunday it made a crunching noise.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I dont think ill have to commute again until spring at the earliest. I'll pour a little cocoa out thinking about yalls winter rides

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

DeesGrandpa posted:

I dont think ill have to commute again until spring at the earliest. I'll pour a little cocoa out thinking about yalls winter rides

I'm jealous. I'm still grinding it out every day. Despite the shorter, colder days and the entire goddamn state being on fire, it still beats driving.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
I've got a week long assignment in the suburbs, so I have to take public transportation 2 h each day, instead of cycling.

Commuting by bike all these years has probably made my immune system atrophy down to Cancer Boy levels. RIP me

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Yes, disc brakes are now the right choice in almost all cases. You'll have your choice of mechanical cable-pulled calipers, which are alright and cheaper, or hydraulic calipers, which are great but more expensive.

quote:

Budget: I'm also ok getting something for like $1000 or something because I'm just going to commute and bike around for fun, I don't need something for cross-country journeys or racing)
I'd double check your inseam -- you doing the measurement by the OP? Some frames might not fit you -- long enough but hard to stand over.
Depending on when you need the bike, check out the $1400 State Black Label All-road: https://www.statebicycle.com/collections/gravel-all-road-cross-off-road
That may or may not restock some time soon.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

With the shorter days and colder wetter weather it's been a struggle to get much good evening/weekend ride time in so I've been trying to force myself on a 30 min lunch ride most days and it's been real good so far.

I don't terribly miss the office but I do miss having that bike/walk commute time baked in to most days' schedule.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

kimbo305 posted:

I'd double check your inseam

Or double-check their height. Last time someone claimed to be 5'11" and ended up being 5'9"

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Groda posted:

Commuting by bike all these years has probably made my immune system atrophy down to Cancer Boy levels. RIP me

Really? I’d say it’s the opposite. I almost always get colds or sore throats as the weather changes and so far I’ve been managing fine despite the cool weather and rain. I feel like my body has become more resistant to small things like that in fact.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Entropist posted:

Well, it did take at least 2 years of getting shat on every time I made a post here to arrive to this particular way of presenting my perspective. But it's a pretty genuine perspective, you'll find similar ideas expressed by well put together channels like Bicycle Dutch and Not Just Bikes. I'm not sure what else I can say about it that hasn't already been said by them or that I haven't already tried to express in the past here. But if there's anything you want to know about bike commuting in a culture where it is normalized and well-supported by infrastructure, feel free to ask!

p.s. About the Asian perspective mentioned earlier, my sister lives in Tokyo and bike commutes there and yeah no, I'm not erasing things by saying it's not normal there to commute by bike. There is no dedicated infra (you use the sidewalk and pedestrian lights, or the roads) and you are definitely a second class citizen, to the extent that you aren't already by being a foreigner.

And when there is some layer of paint that might hint at the existence of bikes, everyone parks on it. This stuff is what she encounters daily - she's tried to count these and got to about 150 lane-blocking parked cars in a single commute run. That does not happen here, it is shocking to Dutch people. So, no, it does not compare and any stories of bike-friendliness there are a myth. The only nice thing is that you don't even need to think about locking a bike, nothing will happen to it.

im also dutch, i commute 50k by bike three times a week, and i also commuted by bike in tokyo for 2 years and this is entirely correct, cycling in tokyo is fine by comparison to many western cities, mostly because there are a lot of quiet side roads, but it's chaotic and people treat cycling as just "walking but with wheels", you are expected to behave like a pedestrian on steroids, not obeying right of way and giving way to cars and pedestrians at all times, riding on the wrong side of the road etc. it's better than, say, thailand though, and probably better than the us

ive also commuted in the uk for about a year, ive seen plenty of people decked in full gear on racing bikes, often swerving around cars instead of just obeying the rules of the road and taking it easy, seen several near-misses happen like this. to a dutch person this looks insane and while i don't agree with the "second class citizen" stuff or whatever this poster is correct about cycling, and most western countries get cycling wrong completely. it will never become a widespread practice if you keep treating it like a specialist activity for which you need to buy loads of gear and go at high speeds. it will need to become a widespread practice to enable high density living in cities while sparing the environment, so i would say promoting bike commuting is pretty important

so in short, those of who you dunked on this guy are wrong, at least about this topic

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Shibawanko posted:

to a dutch person this looks insane and while i don't agree with the "second class citizen" stuff or whatever this poster is correct about cycling, and most western countries get cycling wrong completely. it will never become a widespread practice if you keep treating it like a specialist activity for which you need to buy loads of gear and go at high speeds. it will need to become a widespread practice to enable high density living in cities while sparing the environment, so i would say promoting bike commuting is pretty important

so in short, those of who you dunked on this guy are wrong, at least about this topic

That many countries' cycling infrastructure is bad/insane should not prevent people from bike commuting despite the conditions.
It's reasonable to discuss cycling in these environments but also to have totally different goals in bike advocacy.

We can ask our cities to make separated bike roads that would let us ride at <10mph with masses of other cyclists. And yet still pull onto a tiny paint-demarcated bike lane for every commute until that infrastructure comes around. I don't see this as some form of selling out.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

All I want from cyclists here is to not crib the worst aspects of Parisian driving culture. Everyone's constantly jockeying for position, it's really bad. People pass on the right or right into incoming traffic, ride in the wrong direction on bike lanes, and never heed pedestrians. If they can't pass you they will curse at you, non-stop ring their bells or something. Sometimes it's just easiest to go on the road with the cars despite them also being butts. There's usually just enough traffic that they can't be major assholes.

What bugs me is the perception people make of me. I don't wear "gear" but I'm in athletic shorts for the most part even in rain, which makes people think I'm a fully geared jerk. It means people will actually move out of my way if I'm closing in from behind, even if I never pass people unless there's the proper space and time for it. It makes me feel super bad too.

I've tried to offer people my bike pump to pump visibly deflated tires when stopped at a light, for their first very snappy response to an "Excuse me Sir/Ma'am" being "I can't go because of light!"

It's not the worst, but it feels really toxic around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

TobinHatesYou posted:

Or double-check their height. Last time someone claimed to be 5'11" and ended up being 5'9"

Vin Diesel posts ITT?

Content: I just picked up some studded tires for winter. Think I’ll put them on my SS. Doubtful I’ll be going anywhere besides the grocery store and the post office until WFH stops, which I don’t see happening anytime soon.