Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Oops, I pre-ordered a Pixel 5 (in the US) last night and am just now reading this page. Fingers crossed that my streak of zero phone issues keeps going, I'm not sure that my Pixel XL can wait longer than a month to be replaced...

Every phone release has a few bad units, it's really rare these days for there to be widespread manufacturing defects or serious design flaws. You'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

C-Euro posted:

Oops, I pre-ordered a Pixel 5 (in the US) last night and am just now reading this page. Fingers crossed that my streak of zero phone issues keeps going, I'm not sure that my Pixel XL can wait longer than a month to be replaced...

Just grip tape the screen down, it'll be fineee

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
The gap is actually there so you can open the back and swap out the battery.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

grack posted:

The gap is actually there so you can open the back and swap out the battery.

It's not a gap, it's a GAP (Google Air Pathway tm)

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
Off the back of the posts here, I had a quick look at my Pixel 5.

There's an ever so slight separation between the screen and the body in the upper left corner, nowhere near as extreme as some of the other images posted. Don't think I would ever have noticed it if I wasn't scrutinising it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I still use a Samsung galaxy note 3. I know, it's practically a dinosaur. It still works fine, however in the last few days it's been having trouble charging. I replaced the battery with a brand new one and that didn't do it, I think the charging USB socket is just getting worn out so the contacts aren't working great since it "flickers" the charge, repeatedly giving me the little vibrate blip to signal it's connected to a charger(and says "to charge faster, connect to the original charger"), and won't charge past 57%. Is there a way to fix this that I can do, or would it be something for a professional?

I'm not super interested in replacing it as of yet. Eventually, but not at the moment.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
If you are comfortable tearing into the phone you could replace the USB board. Those things seem to go for about :10bux: on Ebay. It looks like most parts are screwed down so it wouldn't be *too* hard. It all depends on how comfortable you feel handling tiny electronics.

Theres a teardown here:
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Samsung+Galaxy+Note+3+Teardown/19209

You need to replace the part in Step 7 and you can probably skip Step 4-6 since you dont need to take out the mainboard.

Shai-Hulud fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Oct 20, 2020

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Get some rigid plastic from a blister packing piece and some scissors, cut a long strip with a nice thin point and clean that port out.

You will marvel at the amount of lint that comes out. Charging will resume.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Shai-Hulud posted:

If you are comfortable tearing into the phone you could replace the USB board. Those things seem to go for about :10bux: on Ebay. It looks like most parts are screwed down so it wouldn't be *too* hard. It all depends on how comfortable you feel handling tiny electronics.

Theres a teardown here:
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Samsung+Galaxy+Note+3+Teardown/19209

You need to replace the part in Step 7 and you can probably skip Step 4-6 since you dont need to take out the mainboard.

Alright, I'll give that a look, thanks a bunch!

Puddin posted:

Get some rigid plastic from a blister packing piece and some scissors, cut a long strip with a nice thin point and clean that port out.

I just blasted it out with compressed air, nothing came out. Maybe something with a little rubbing alcohol to clean the contacts if they've got some ungodly residue buildup on them?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

I still use a Samsung galaxy note 3. I know, it's practically a dinosaur. It still works fine, however in the last few days it's been having trouble charging. I replaced the battery with a brand new one and that didn't do it, I think the charging USB socket is just getting worn out so the contacts aren't working great since it "flickers" the charge, repeatedly giving me the little vibrate blip to signal it's connected to a charger(and says "to charge faster, connect to the original charger"), and won't charge past 57%. Is there a way to fix this that I can do, or would it be something for a professional?

I'm not super interested in replacing it as of yet. Eventually, but not at the moment.

Assuming you can find anywhere that sells it, I think you can get a wireless charging back for the Note 3.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Captain Invictus posted:

Alright, I'll give that a look, thanks a bunch!

I just blasted it out with compressed air, nothing came out. Maybe something with a little rubbing alcohol to clean the contacts if they've got some ungodly residue buildup on them?

Nah compressed air is fine, but you really need to dig around in there. It's the really fine particles that get compacted every time you plug the charging .

100% what you described I've had on a never of older phones with microusb. It's a haven for built up particles.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Air won't move a lot of it.
Use plastic, and get it right to the bottom and scrape the bottom edge (not the sides) fairly roughly and you will possibly find a compacted layer you can then work out.

It's a really common thing, it just gets a tiny bit thicker every day until eventually the plug doesn't contact enough.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Two reviews (both The Verge, but different people) of the iPhone 12 says the camera is better than the iPhone 11 but they prefer the Pixel 5 shots more (not the same as saying that it objective took the better shot every time). Guess we'll have to wait for the Pro Max to see if there's a significant leap forward with the new sensor and stabilization.

quote:

In general, the iPhone 12 does a better job on fine detail in regular lighting conditions. Apple says this might be because it is applying its Deep Fusion algorithms in more situations this year. I still like the Pixel’s signature, contrast-y look, but Apple seems to be moving in its direction just a little. The iPhone 12’s photos seem to finally be stepping back from over-brightening shadows on faces. But it’s a minor tweak, the bigger changes come in more extreme conditions.

Compared to the iPhone 11, the iPhone 12 needs to drop into night mode less often, thanks to that faster lens. And even when it does, I’m getting clearer, brighter shots. In the very darkest conditions, the Pixel 5 still handles itself a little better, but it’s much, much closer than it’s ever been.

quote:

Compared to the Google Pixel 5 and the Samsung Note 20 Ultra, the iPhone 12 Pro delivers exactly what we’ve come to expect from Apple: great photos in almost every case, with balanced colors and great details. I still prefer the Pixel look ever so slightly, and I am reliably informed that there are people who prefer Samsung’s hyperrealistic colors, but the iPhone 11 Pro was the phone to beat. The iPhone 12 Pro slightly improves on the 11 Pro in most situations and adds the ability to get usable shots in even harder edge cases.

At any rate, Google needs to move to new hardware next year as everyone has caught up (even if they haven't passed yet.)

It will be interesting to see if Apple succeeds with a large sensor where Samsung and Oneplus have come up a bit short (getting only matching experiences instead of demonstrably better ones.)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Khablam posted:

Air won't move a lot of it.
Use plastic, and get it right to the bottom and scrape the bottom edge (not the sides) fairly roughly and you will possibly find a compacted layer you can then work out.

It's a really common thing, it just gets a tiny bit thicker every day until eventually the plug doesn't contact enough.

as a baker, this is why I moved to wireless charging.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I might wait to see how the whole phone is coming apart at the seams thing shakes out personally

The yearly pixel issue gets weirder every time

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

I might wait to see how the whole phone is coming apart at the seams thing shakes out personally

The yearly pixel issue gets weirder every time

the nexus 5, 6 and 7 had it. This is just Google going back to its roots :stonklol:

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Mister Facetious posted:

the nexus 5, 6 and 7 had it. This is just Google going back to its roots :stonklol:

I thought they still used other manufacturers for pixels but it looks like after the Pixel 2 they started using Foxconn instead ala iPhones

Wonder what the deal is with qa..

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

pretty sure it's just a manufacturing tolerance problem. mobile engineering is good, but defects are inversely proportional to the number of parts you're willing to reject for perfection.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Case in point, there are TONS of people that had issues with the Note 20 Ultra camera fogging up due to internal condensation when the temp changes.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

zer0spunk posted:

I thought they still used other manufacturers for pixels but it looks like after the Pixel 2 they started using Foxconn instead ala iPhones

Wonder what the deal is with qa..

Is that for real? No wonder the hardware is garbonzo.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Case in point, there are TONS of people that had issues with the Note 20 Ultra camera fogging up due to internal condensation when the temp changes.

That was a user error; you're supposed to only use it indoors in a temperature controlled environment.

e; and wikipedia says both the Pixel 3 and Pixel 4 were both made by Foxconn, yes

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 20, 2020

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

At least its not made by LG.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
The LG flagship phones are good though?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

cage-free egghead posted:

The LG flagship phones are good though?

In general, they've improved a lot since the boot loops of the G5 and previous phones, but their rep is trash, and no one is going to buy their flagships at Samsung prices, no matter how much they consider themselves the main rival.
And their sale price drops faster than a car. Faster even than an Exynos model Galaxy phone.
Getting one later in the year on a huge discount? Sure, they're not bad value then. But only fools get LG new when you're lucky to get over a year of updates, and blessed if you get more than one letter/number OS upgrade, cause they could give less than a poo poo about that side of the phone business.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 20, 2020

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If LG would commit to and follow a comprehensive update schedule across their devices, then it would be easier to recommend their stuff if you wanted stuff off the mainstream a bit. But, their update policy is complete trash which makes their devices disposable. When there are disposable devices with better update schedules, then they really don't make sense.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Best phone for £200 or under at the moment in the UK?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Best phone for £200 or under at the moment in the UK?

already done with your 5?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

On the subject of hardware issues, there's a growing number of S20 FE owners reporting touchscreen issues (ghost touches, jittery swiping, touches not registering for a few moments.)

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Count me in as someone who preordered a Pixel 5 to replace my quickly degrading OG Pixel and is now hoping I don't get one of the bum units.

Although getting that $500 settlement (times two) for the audio issue on the original Pixel was pretty nice. Wouldn't mind getting a stack out of Google and a replacement model to boot again.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

butt dickus posted:

already done with your 5?

Haha, no, a work friend is asking to replace her buggered phone. Nokia 7.2 seems to be the best spec at that price. Last phone I had that was such tremendous value was the original Motorola Moto G in 2014 but I've only had contract phones since.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Mat Cauthon posted:

Count me in as someone who preordered a Pixel 5 to replace my quickly degrading OG Pixel and is now hoping I don't get one of the bum units.

Although getting that $500 settlement (times two) for the audio issue on the original Pixel was pretty nice. Wouldn't mind getting a stack out of Google and a replacement model to boot again.

Don't forget to opt out of the "you agree not to sue us" clause in that case.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Mat Cauthon posted:

Plenty of users are enjoying a gap free P5.

coke
Jul 12, 2009

codo27 posted:

Is that for real? No wonder the hardware is garbonzo.

They actually uses different vendors. IIRC in china vendors including Foxconn, which build a lot of OEM mainboards for laptop and desktop computers, and Pegatron, which is basically ASUS. They also make iphones in india and brazil now too probably under another vendor.
Quality from chinese factory can be perfectly fine as long as it's watched carefully or if they are trained and paid enough.

There has been times where apple products get delayed, something like the 2/3 of original retina screen in the ipod touch had defective pixels, or cancelled completely and never came to market eg. apple air power.

It's really up to google to decide what sort of 'defective' rate is acceptable, or if the gap can even be considered as defective in the first place. And I'm betting that google knew about this and just said "ship it for the holidays" because they guessed it wont affect most users. And what are you going to do? not buy a pixel??

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Was it a new thing in Android 11 to have notification panes on the lock screen respond to a different amount of taps?

Like if I single tap my Spotify media player, the PIN input screen immediately pops up. But if I single tap my weather, it says "Tap again to open" across the bottom of the screen. It's a small thing but it drives me nuts :argh:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

coke posted:

They actually uses different vendors. IIRC in china vendors including Foxconn, which build a lot of OEM mainboards for laptop and desktop computers, and Pegatron, which is basically ASUS. They also make iphones in india and brazil now too probably under another vendor.
Quality from chinese factory can be perfectly fine as long as it's watched carefully or if they are trained and paid enough.

There has been times where apple products get delayed, something like the 2/3 of original retina screen in the ipod touch had defective pixels, or cancelled completely and never came to market eg. apple air power.

It's really up to google to decide what sort of 'defective' rate is acceptable, or if the gap can even be considered as defective in the first place. And I'm betting that google knew about this and just said "ship it for the holidays" because they guessed it wont affect most users. And what are you going to do? not buy a pixel??

Foxconn is probably still doing the Brazil ops aren’t they? Do they have factories in India? I mean I assume yes but have no real idea.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Puddin posted:

I did this and wiggled the pointy bastard in there quite a bit above a white sheet of paper. this is what came out, all the little flecks and whatever on this was inside the charging port after point-blanking it with compressed air.

buncha schmutz on the pointy bit of plastic still, too. yuck.

phone is currently charging, no shenanigans yet, so it may be fine and dandy after all. thanks!

coke
Jul 12, 2009

mediaphage posted:

Foxconn is probably still doing the Brazil ops aren’t they? Do they have factories in India? I mean I assume yes but have no real idea.

No idea but maybe, since they have the management skills but still need to train a bunch of local people to get them up and running.

IIRC it's all moving out of china now and companies like google actually specified to their contracted companies so their home products to be made in places like thailand or vietnam. However unlike china, the infrastructures like roads to move the materials in and products out, and man power just isn't there and they are having problems just to get the products back to the US, besides the obvious quality issues.

A lot of products coming into the US are being taxed heavily so it's logical for them to do so, while most of their product that are still made in the original factories are getting shipped to europe instead. The supply chain is still screwed basically.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Anybody have any recs for a good "to-do list" app? I'm using Google Keep right now and it's okay, my main gripe is that I have a recurring checkbox list for routine stuff I want to take care of daily, but if I check a box off of it today, when it recurs tomorrow in the AM that checkbox is still checked off. Not a big deal, takes 5 seconds to uncheck everything, just wondering if there are better options out there!

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
If you've got the same things to do on the daily, you could try using recurring tasks in Google calendar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

aparmenideanmonad posted:

If you've got the same things to do on the daily, you could try using recurring tasks in Google calendar.

Yeah they're the same tasks. I actually forgot about take y the calendar, thanks for the reminder! Gonna look into that tonight. It's not a separate app or anything on my Pixel, is it?

Edit: found the app!

Johnny Truant fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Oct 21, 2020