Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Internet Explorer posted:

Fair enough, but at least now you know of a potential solution, and actually now I know of two more that are similar to it. Transport rules are free, and if you already have O365 ATP it sounds like there might be some options included there. "Managing up" is a good thing and if you're noticing that sort of thing, it might be worth trying to bring up the ladder.

RFC2324 posted:

The easiest thing in the world is to set the name field to the email address you want to spoof, and watch 75% of people on the internet fall for it. It's probably the biggest thing we can focus education efforts on, imo

This is what the freakout ticket was about - someone sending emails where the display name is "STATE Department Board of STUFF (hackermans@fakesite.tld)" to people within the department.

It amused me, too, because one report was all ":byodood: WE HAVE A HACKED DISTRIBUTION LIST :byodood:" and it's more that...no, we just let external senders email to DLs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
My company is being shoved into having ServiceCloud as the internal ticketing tool/CRM system. It's still being built after about 6-7 months of requirement gathering and input from all major project stakeholders/workflow owners. It has a go-live date of this November. It's a slow phase-in, rather than a hard cutover from our previous internal ticketing system.

Since I had previously written tons of documentation on arcane bullshit processes for our core system, built mostly out of just seeing it work/flow for the past few years because the original devs of $core-process have left, my boss was pretty awesome and tasked me with writing a user guide for the new system.... for the whole company to use to reference as this rollout happens. So, rather than answer/work basically any tickets today, I spent most of it generating a coherent, focused user guide for the "basic" functions we've built into ServiceCloud already; with the expectation that advanced features/tools/reports etc will be slowly built as we adjust to the entirely new system.

I was handed an early draft of a guide, which had maximized window screenshots pasted into a word document with paragraphs of text between each. You had to zoom to 200% to see any real detail in the screenshots at all.

I threw all of it out and built a table of contents with specific, highlighted screenshots with simple explanations.

How bad should I feel at throwing the previous "guide" out and rewriting from scratch?

How detailed do you get in your documentation IF the end-user of said documentation is reasonably assumed not to be an idiot? I.e., we're a tech based company that literally didn't miss a beat going to 100% WFH (In fact, we got MORE productive somehow) so there's a reasonable assumption of someone using this system is not a typical end-user who is wholly tech-illiterate.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

The Fool posted:

We add banners to incoming e-mail. One for all external e-mails and another for any e-mails that fail spf.

A lot of organizations fail spf.

I got a phishtest email today that was from "obviously.fake.address@notmicrosoft.com sent on behalf of <Our phishing test company>"

made me laugh.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Document it as if you were doing it for the idiots, and then assume the people who know what's what will CTRL+F for what they want.

RFC2324 posted:

The easiest thing in the world is to set the name field to the email address you want to spoof, and watch 75% of people on the internet fall for it. It's probably the biggest thing we can focus education efforts on, imo
My dicking around with Gophish has found most of the clients I dealt with at $LASTJOB to be protecting themselves against that at least. $BIGCLIENT used to send the recipient an email asking them to contact the SOC if an email came in, and they'd all just demand that they were released without wanting to know what they were. Good times.

dragonshardz posted:

This is what the freakout ticket was about - someone sending emails where the display name is "STATE Department Board of STUFF (hackermans@fakesite.tld)" to people within the department.

It amused me, too, because one report was all ":byodood: WE HAVE A HACKED DISTRIBUTION LIST :byodood:" and it's more that...no, we just let external senders email to DLs.
That's still a valuable report and that user should be thanked, then you use this to make the case that you shouldn't have open DLs.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

DelphiAegis posted:

My company is being shoved into having ServiceCloud as the internal ticketing tool/CRM system. It's still being built after about 6-7 months of requirement gathering and input from all major project stakeholders/workflow owners. It has a go-live date of this November. It's a slow phase-in, rather than a hard cutover from our previous internal ticketing system.

Since I had previously written tons of documentation on arcane bullshit processes for our core system, built mostly out of just seeing it work/flow for the past few years because the original devs of $core-process have left, my boss was pretty awesome and tasked me with writing a user guide for the new system.... for the whole company to use to reference as this rollout happens. So, rather than answer/work basically any tickets today, I spent most of it generating a coherent, focused user guide for the "basic" functions we've built into ServiceCloud already; with the expectation that advanced features/tools/reports etc will be slowly built as we adjust to the entirely new system.

I was handed an early draft of a guide, which had maximized window screenshots pasted into a word document with paragraphs of text between each. You had to zoom to 200% to see any real detail in the screenshots at all.

I threw all of it out and built a table of contents with specific, highlighted screenshots with simple explanations.

How bad should I feel at throwing the previous "guide" out and rewriting from scratch?

How detailed do you get in your documentation IF the end-user of said documentation is reasonably assumed not to be an idiot? I.e., we're a tech based company that literally didn't miss a beat going to 100% WFH (In fact, we got MORE productive somehow) so there's a reasonable assumption of someone using this system is not a typical end-user who is wholly tech-illiterate.

You should feel 0% bad; throwing out poo poo documentation and starting over is necessary sometimes.

I'd say, if the audience is not a trained monkey, that "click on the gear icon" and a screenshot of what the icon looks like, inline, is sufficient.

Maybe another screenshot with some window context to help people find the icon.

Arquinsiel posted:

That's still a valuable report and that user should be thanked, then you use this to make the case that you shouldn't have open DLs.

Yes, but also another thing that's out of my power to fix :eng99:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Ugh, I hate those stupid banners.

I used to agree, and they are still pretty annoying in long email chains between two orgs that both add banners.

However, I’ve had multiple users tell me “I was about to click on the thing but then I saw the banner at the top and decided to check with you first”

So in my book, that’s a win.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

dragonshardz posted:

Yes, but also another thing that's out of my power to fix :eng99:
I'll do this for you:

your email posted:

Hey <dragonshardz boss' name>,

After receiving Ticket 000X I checked the historical tickets and the following list was generated by users reporting spam to the distribution lists. Each one represents a security risk for the users on the lists and generates unnecessary tickets for us. If we can start a project to tighten up the send permissions on these lists we can improve our efficiency by this many percent and make ourselves look good to <dragonshardz boss' boss' name>.

Ticket 0001
Ticket 0002
Ticket 0003
Ticket 0004
Ticket ....
Ticket 000X

Sincerely,
Dragonshardz, efficiency improver plz gief raise

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ugh, I hate those stupid banners.

And if people fail SPF, I put my foot down. Failed SPF doesn't get delivered. It's been around for far too long and it's far too simple. I don't want to hear it.

Must be nice

We’d just get a whitelist request for that domain anyway

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

$ParentCo has decided that USB storage is the biggest threat in the world and is locking them off from everyone in the enterprise. To get an exemption you had to email a group. I emailed said group, and got back a response that I should install Teams, Sharepoint, and Onedrive. And to contact $Helpdesk at $ParentCo for assistance. Only then can I with $Helpdesks blessing can I email them back that I REALLY need this access to the SEVERE THREAT that USB drives pose, then $helpdesk will add my PC to the AD group.

The annoying thing is I work for $MyCo version of that department, same name even. So I got to send the fun email of "Hello, I work for $MyCo $Helpdesk, so this is the request and confirmation that I need USB access for <standalone offline expensive industry tool that gets updated quarterly>. There is no other way to update this device. Thank you. " CC: $Boss; $Boss2 Since this is now going to get political.

I get where they're coming from, and honestly if you scattered a dozen infested USB drives in our parking lot they'd get shoved into 40 computers. But the process is a shitshow. The formal rollout was a long winded explanation of it in an email, then "For exemption email ITsecurity@email" with no details about what info to include or anything. Thankfully the next update I require is 4 days before the cutoff. Or I just shove a USB drive into an unimportant server since it's on a different GPO, somehow less locked down, and I get my updates that way. :v:

----

Uuuugh. On top of our VOIP migration to nailed up work at home users. We've now had enough time pass that people have no drat clue how regular rear end phones work. Yes, you have to contact a phone provider. No we won't do that for you. Yes you have to pay for it, it was the arrangement for working at home. No you can't use magicjack, it said that at the top of the paper you signed. If you have no dialtone it won't work. Yes, you CAN hear yourself in the headset, it's called sidetone and that's how phones have worked for a century. Move the loving mic away from your mouth. :argh: I had to tell that to five people last week.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Arquinsiel posted:

Document it as if you were doing it for the idiots, and then assume the people who know what's what will CTRL+F for what they want.

There are people you can tell to "set a static IP with these settings", and there are people who need their hands held just to get to that screen. I've found a happy medium, my junior techs write the handholding docs for the experience, and I write summaries for people who know what they're doing.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

PirateDentist posted:

$ParentCo has decided that USB storage is the biggest threat in the world and is locking them off from everyone in the enterprise. To get an exemption you had to email a group. I emailed said group, and got back a response that I should install Teams, Sharepoint, and Onedrive. And to contact $Helpdesk at $ParentCo for assistance. Only then can I with $Helpdesks blessing can I email them back that I REALLY need this access to the SEVERE THREAT that USB drives pose, then $helpdesk will add my PC to the AD group.

The annoying thing is I work for $MyCo version of that department, same name even. So I got to send the fun email of "Hello, I work for $MyCo $Helpdesk, so this is the request and confirmation that I need USB access for <standalone offline expensive industry tool that gets updated quarterly>. There is no other way to update this device. Thank you. " CC: $Boss; $Boss2 Since this is now going to get political.

I get where they're coming from, and honestly if you scattered a dozen infested USB drives in our parking lot they'd get shoved into 40 computers. But the process is a shitshow. The formal rollout was a long winded explanation of it in an email, then "For exemption email ITsecurity@email" with no details about what info to include or anything. Thankfully the next update I require is 4 days before the cutoff. Or I just shove a USB drive into an unimportant server since it's on a different GPO, somehow less locked down, and I get my updates that way. :v:

----

Uuuugh. On top of our VOIP migration to nailed up work at home users. We've now had enough time pass that people have no drat clue how regular rear end phones work. Yes, you have to contact a phone provider. No we won't do that for you. Yes you have to pay for it, it was the arrangement for working at home. No you can't use magicjack, it said that at the top of the paper you signed. If you have no dialtone it won't work. Yes, you CAN hear yourself in the headset, it's called sidetone and that's how phones have worked for a century. Move the loving mic away from your mouth. :argh: I had to tell that to five people last week.

That sidetone rant feels a little BOFH and not in the good way. Not everyone expects the same amount of sidetone or for it to even be there at all. I know that when using my gaming headset, I don't really like sidetone at all.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Literally never heard of sidetone before. I'd probably be annoyed too if I had to keep explaining it to people though.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
It's normal for telephony, but if it's too loud then it's going to be distracting. If it's set properly most people don't notice it unless it's missing.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

PirateDentist posted:

Yes you have to pay for it, it was the arrangement for working at home.

lol if you aren't reimbursing people's phones that they use for work.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Methanar posted:

lol if you aren't reimbursing people's phones that they use for work.

:capitalism:

I doubt it, but even if there was an arrangement you have to pay the drat bill for AT&T or whatever first.

I'm nice to these people, but gently caress me if the same questions we've told them about a shitload of times isn't annoying. Especially when we're getting reamed about response time about tickets for poo poo we answered months ago in emails\sharepoint\intranet announcements or gave them a printout answering. I know it's par for the course, doesn't make it less frustrating. :sigh:

These are analog cube farm grade dialpads and headsets on POTS copper phone lines (or whatever the hell VOIP the cable co uses). No adjustments. Literally nothing I can do about it but tell them to not eat the microphone and turn down the volume a bit. We kicked 85% of our people out of our sites in March with basically whatever the hell was on their desk on a weeks notice. It's not been a fun year. We made videos, sent photos, wrote reams of directions. I don't need to tell this crowd how well that works. :shepface: 8 months of covidland support is starting to get really old.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Why on god's green earth are you requiring people to get analog phone service in tyool 2020?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Were gonna build a POTS network and we're gonna make our employees pay for it!

Make Analog Great Again!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I haven't had a land line phone in almost 3/4 of a decade.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The only time I've seen an analog line in my adult life was at my wife's first job, which was a building right smack in the middle of the courthouse's parking lot. Because of the location, the cable company refused to run a line there, so all they had was the original underground analog line from when the building was built.

One day she lost phones and it took AT&T 3 days to get it fixed because they couldn't find a tech who was around long enough to actually know how to troubleshoot it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

spankmeister posted:

Why on god's green earth are you requiring people to get analog phone service in tyool 2020?

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

spankmeister posted:

Wherever $ParentCo goes, so must we. :downs:

It's a full VOIP system inside the company, but for work at home users it basically makes one phone call to them when they log in, then keeps the line open and just drops calls on and off of it. I'm still on the old VOIP system, which can't talk to the new system because it's made to only talk to itself and phone numbers outbound. I have a real direct extension, the new system doesn't use those, so I can't call them, but they can all talk to each other or call me. I have to use Teams to reach like 90% of the company now. Which is real fun when you recall how well MS has been doing with uptime lately.

:ughh: It's a real CF.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Arquinsiel posted:

Looking at their SPF record that should have been caught trivially, assuming they haven't changed it recently.

It got delivered to her gmail account without being marked as spam or anything, and while my wife has a doctorate and a masters, "checking full e-mail headers and trying to understand them" is not a thing she is going to do.

She does come to me if she has questions about a weird e-mail, I was just making a point that you effectively cannot and should not trust e-mail is from who it claims to be as a normal person who uses gmail.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Speaking of spam. The VP of engineering sent out "good job" Amazon gift cards to all his employees via email and half forwarded them to me asking if they are spam. They were all legit but wtf tell your people this is coming.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

GreenNight posted:

Speaking of spam. The VP of engineering sent out "good job" Amazon gift cards to all his employees via email and half forwarded them to me asking if they are spam. They were all legit but wtf tell your people this is coming.

Half your staff forwarding them and asking about it is a shockingly high percentage. Whatever you're doing for training is working well.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

shortspecialbus posted:

Half your staff forwarding them and asking about it is a shockingly high percentage. Whatever you're doing for training is working well.

We do zero training. I send out an email saying dont click on dumb poo poo like twice a year. But yeah, it's a good percent.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

shortspecialbus posted:

It got delivered to her gmail account without being marked as spam or anything, and while my wife has a doctorate and a masters, "checking full e-mail headers and trying to understand them" is not a thing she is going to do.

She does come to me if she has questions about a weird e-mail, I was just making a point that you effectively cannot and should not trust e-mail is from who it claims to be as a normal person who uses gmail.
That's worryingly poor performance from gmail. It should be caught automatically.

ETA: checking again, the vatican is allowing soft-failures. FFS...

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

That's worryingly poor performance from gmail. It should be caught automatically.

Jesus protects.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

Beautiful. I love it.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
“Your ticket response times are too slow. Close more tickets.”

“Why are your responses so short? Customers want more hand holding! Customer service is more important than ticket closures!”

“Why is your close rate down?”

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

“Your ticket response times are too slow. Close more tickets.”

“Why are your responses so short? Customers want more hand holding! Customer service is more important than ticket closures!”

“Why is your close rate down?”

LoL this was an endless cycle at my last job.

"I'm on the team that deals with poo poo no one else can, do you really expect us to close 20+ tickets a day?" (or whatever made up number)

"Yes"

"Ok" creates a bunch of bullshit tickets for things that shouldn't be tickets.

"Great your numbers are up!"

2 months later

"Why are there all these dumb tickets, these shouldn't be tickets"

repeat ad infinitum

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Metrics was the dumbest thing introduced to help desk environments in the last 20 years.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

AlexDeGruven posted:

Metrics was the dumbest thing introduced to help desk environments in the last 20 years.

They are great as a measurement tool, but like all measurement tools, making number bigger becomes the goal, instead of just seeing whats up

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Lazy bosses will always find new ways of being lazy.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Hey I spend a lot of time on finding new ways to be lazy.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I really should go into management

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
And on the above topic, the "Director of Service Management" (useless do-nothing position, zero direct reports) has started emailing the entire operations division his 'nighttime readings' from some dumbass website about how everyone can improve service. gently caress this guy

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

AlexDeGruven posted:

I will defend metrics to the death. Identifying and measuring a team's KPIs are fundamental to forecasting their output, budget, and so much more.

With proper metrics, I can tell if a recent change to policy is positively or negatively impacting our call centers and plot the cost (or savings) of that change vs the cost (or savings) of the change that lead to the shift in metrics.

I've struck down a half-dozen stupid-rear end policy changes this year alone with that methodology. No, really, we don't need to do XYZ on EVERY CALL when we get at most, doing XYZ will prevent like one minor problem a quarter.

Good usage of metrics allows things like that. Poor usage, well...

I will not defend lovely interpretations of that data, poorly-conceived improvement plans, or any amount of bullshit that comes from terrible bosses who want to make those numbers change for the sake of changing them. "Get that handle time down by five minutes this year" sounds great, until you realize that ending calls too soon results in a 60% boost in our call-back rate and, in the end, costs us more than just taking a bit longer to fix that poo poo on the first call.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Competitiveness over handle times was so ugly in call centers. Reward long calls

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

RFC2324 posted:

Competitiveness over handle times was so ugly in call centers. Reward long calls

Right. The best method is to look at who the outliers are, over some extended period (a week is probably two short).

People who are consistently running over average by more than a STDDev or two probably need more training.
People who are running UNDER by a lot are probably shirking some mandatory stuff. If they're not, and they're actually just badasses, promote them and/or train everyone to do what that guy is doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

ConfusedUs posted:

Right. The best method is to look at who the outliers are, over some extended period (a week is probably two short).

People who are consistently running over average by more than a STDDev or two probably need more training.
People who are running UNDER by a lot are probably shirking some mandatory stuff. If they're not, and they're actually just badasses, promote them and/or train everyone to do what that guy is doing.

You're doing it right. Unfortunately, hardly anyone else does.

When they first tried to do it at $oldjob, they wanted a maximum 5min call time. After that, escalate, no matter the issue. Of your average call time was over 5 min, you got talked to. Not to mention desktop getting pissed for tickets that could have easily been solved by the help desk if there wasn't a stupid arbitrary time.