Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah Liquitex are some of the most popular and available (like every art store should have it so you don't have to worry about the weird state of availability and overcharging of hobby art supplies on amazon right now). I would say you want titanium white, carbon black (I use this a lot for pin washing actually, because I don't wanna get into huffing spirits) and then whatever colours match what your current palette requirements are right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

Yeah, I picked up on that partway through spraying the white primer. I was just having trouble finding a happy medium*. There were points where I had to try spraying the mat I was working on to see if there was primer still coming out, and other points where I'd pull back all the way and get a big splat of paint (which I guess would maybe fall under the umbrella of spider-webbing). I think some of that issue was related to the pressure not being set right.

The same thing happened with the black primer, but with the globs I got with that, it seemed like blowing air out on the point helped to get the primer spread around. Regardless, I get that I shouldn't pull all the way back on the trigger.

That is going to be dry tip, where paint is drying on the tip of the needle and preventing good flow and being at too low of PSI would make this worse. You should be using a drop or two of flow improver with everything(even the black primer or varnish) to help prevent this, and you'll need even more with whites.

NEVER pull back all the way while pointing at a model, if paint isn't flowing smoothly rock the trigger all the way back and forth without any air coming out then shoot a bit of air with it only barely pulled back. This should clear up any flow issues, if you continue to have problems check the tip of the needle, it likely has paint on it, just put some airbrush cleaner on a lovely brush and clean off the end and go back to spraying.

Also make sure the needle and nozzle are completely clean after each session, any amount of paint drying on them will only cause you endless issues next paint session.

And yea +1 to some white ink, it has a lot of uses beyond just a zenithal. But regardless Stynylrez White should be plenty fine to zenithal prime models with, I did it with no issues.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Liquitex is smooth like butter. I bought a set of it and RD and almost always reach for liquitex.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
My only issue has been buying Stynylrez White has been inconsistent. Some bottles are just not good. I mean this is likely true of any paint company and I just rolled the bad dice here. I have not found a white primer I absolutely love though.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

daler rowney payne’s gray is magical ink for airbrushing shadows in

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Does the Liquitex ink flow anything like self-made oil washes? Or to put it another way, how strong is the capillary action? That white ink might be a great solution for things like the conduits and tiny little rune things on Necrons, which I'd want to paint white before slapping on the new technical day-glo green.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
I've also had issue with Stynylrez white. The black has been fine but the white was a headache.

jesus WEP posted:

This is absolutely true. Daler Rowney's payne's gray is just so good it's difficult to comment on.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Der Shovel posted:

Does the Liquitex ink flow anything like self-made oil washes? Or to put it another way, how strong is the capillary action? That white ink might be a great solution for things like the conduits and tiny little rune things on Necrons, which I'd want to paint white before slapping on the new technical day-glo green.

You can mess with it. To do what you're talking about you can add some flow improver to it.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Or gloss varnish- both on the model and mixed in the ink

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Can't you make your own panel liner with ink, medium, and flow improver?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Here's my first real attempt at minis. I've been painting some board game minis from a CMON game and not real happy with how a lot of them are coming out but it's amazing how much better GW plastic takes paint.

I wanted a rustic space marine look (but not rusted) so this is what I came up with. Base coat was Macragge Blue then Contrast Talassar Blue on top of that then a lot of dry brush for the rustic stuff. IDK what color scheme this is or what chapter of Space Marines it would fit but I'd like to make a kill team list with this scheme.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Yep that’s all it is really. You can also use paint to less good but still useful results.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Inks are amazing but I tend to use them more as a glaze than for Zenethial. Their pigmentation is very strong but they are super thin so it's really perfect for airbrush. Yellow ink over white and pink makes yellow armor look great with very little effort and much less steps than with just acrylic paint.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Spanish Manlove posted:

Heck I just use ink, glaze medium and water and it works just fine

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I also find tinting with inks through an Airbrush to be a total joy.

This guy got hit with Scale 75 green ink on his armour to give it a pump of saturation.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Spanish Manlove posted:

You totally can, but at some point you're fighting the properties of acrylic paint. At that point, if you're serious about panel lining, you should just embrace oils and enamels. They're just easier to work with and more forgiving, especially for things like panel lining.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Yeast posted:

This guy got hit with Scale 75 green ink on his armour to give it a pump of saturation.

This is amazing, explain what you did in more detail please.

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

jesus WEP posted:

This holy gently caress. Changed my life. gently caress black y'all. Cooler colors recede into shadows and this pitch-black blue is goddamn amazing for instantly shadowing or shading the opposit underside of zenith highlights and highly reflective surfaces.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

So uh, if I broke the nozzle on my sotar2020 and live in Canada (MB) how would I go about ordering one with a quick delivery time?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Bottom Liner posted:

IDK what color scheme this is or what chapter of Space Marines it would fit but I'd like to make a kill team list with this scheme.

They're Ultramarines that don't know how to keep their armor clean

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Mugaaz posted:

This is amazing, explain what you did in more detail please.

Hey! What would you like to know.

For plate:
It's all scale 75 paints airbrushed on, everything else is brushwork. The Armour work up was Boreal Green -> Irati + Fall Green, Fall Green, then a thinned down Green "Inktensity" over the top. Easy and quick.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

looks real easy to knock over unless they put some weight in the bottom

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

It would be nice if it also holds 40mm bases a bit less firmly, it always looks like they’re warping them

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Looks comfier in the palm and more easy for fine rotations though so what's a little butt plug between friends

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeast posted:

That looks absolutely amazing. I love how vibrant the colours are, but the technique is also very good. I really need to figure out how to do small highlighting like that with my airbrush.

Great job anyway!

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I managed to snag a bottle of Vallejo Metal Color (pale burnt metal, no steel or duralumin available T_T) just to test the properties of the paint. I quite like it, though it does act strangely. First, it seems to go on almost transparent and then becomes more opaque as it dries. This is odd at first but then is very appreciated later on, it feels like I need two coats but really I only need one. Second, it dries fairly quickly and very metallic, far more metal-like than regular metallic paints. The coverage is very flat and even, and it looks almost like I applied a chrome wash or something.

Overall very pleased with them. If you can get your hands on a bottle (probably go with steel or duralumin as they're more versatile) I say go for it.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Airbrush talk: white ink layers on top of a black primer? Does it go on opaquely or does it take a bunch of coats?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Verisimilidude posted:

I managed to snag a bottle of Vallejo Metal Color (pale burnt metal, no steel or duralumin available T_T) just to test the properties of the paint. I quite like it, though it does act strangely. First, it seems to go on almost transparent and then becomes more opaque as it dries. This is odd at first but then is very appreciated later on, it feels like I need two coats but really I only need one. Second, it dries fairly quickly and very metallic, far more metal-like than regular metallic paints. The coverage is very flat and even, and it looks almost like I applied a chrome wash or something.

Overall very pleased with them. If you can get your hands on a bottle (probably go with steel or duralumin as they're more versatile) I say go for it.

Yeah I’m really digging the metal color, I’ve only been able to get gun metal and burned metal though, nobody seems to have steel, silver or gold in stock.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

SERPUS posted:

Airbrush talk: white ink layers on top of a black primer? Does it go on opaquely or does it take a bunch of coats?
Liquitex at least is pretty opaque, and also leaves a nice smooth transition to black

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

took a 6 month break then discovered livery green:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Do inks need to be thinned at all to run them through an airbrush, and if so you just use regular acrylic thinner?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

they don’t need to but you certainly can and Our Lord And Saviour Vince Venturella thins them either 1:1 or 1:2 with thinner. You can use regular acrylic thinner or flow improver or some combination of the two

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
I've spent the last two months (occasionally) painting a pair of battle robots, and I'm really proud of them. I tried for some sort of a retro colour scheme, like some old metal toy robot. Got maybe a bit too excited with the chipping on the arms, but they started out way too clean-looking compared to my army and I got kinda carried away. The bases turned out pretty nice too, my old style was a bit flat and cold. Turns out I only needed a sepia wash to add some warmth and shadows.

The lighting is a bit bad, unfortunately, sorry about that.

The rest of the deconstruction crew

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

Liquitex at least is pretty opaque, and also leaves a nice smooth transition to black

So for example, I'm painting some classic green Striking Scorpions. Starting with a black primer (I have Vallejo surface black and Stynelrez black gloss, which is better for inks?), I can layer the Liquitex Green ink directly onto the black? For highlights and transitions, I can slowly add Liquitex Yellow ink into the mix?

edit: Also, any differences noted between the brands: Liquitex, Daler-Rowney, Dr. Ph Martin?

SERPUS fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 20, 2020

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If you are going to colour exclusively in inks, you should be using white and grey inks to establish tone first and then add value with coloured inks. Inks are very transparent so the zenithal highlighting actually shows through which lets you focus on how light falls on your model first and then add colour afterwards.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

I got an airbrush :)

I gambled on a hundred dollar nobrand compressor+airbrush combo pack from shenzhen and i feel pretty good about it

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Mirthless posted:

I got an airbrush :)

I gambled on a hundred dollar nobrand compressor+airbrush combo pack from shenzhen and i feel pretty good about it

Do you have a link for it? I was thinking of picking up a cheapy airbrush to start with since I have the space now.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

SERPUS posted:

So for example, I'm painting some classic green Striking Scorpions. Starting with a black primer (I have Vallejo surface black and Stynelrez black gloss, which is better for inks?), I can layer the Liquitex Green ink directly onto the black? For highlights and transitions, I can slowly add Liquitex Yellow ink into the mix?

edit: Also, any differences noted between the brands: Liquitex, Daler-Rowney, Dr. Ph Martin?
Liquitex (and Daler Rowney iirc) is very good at telling you if their inks are opaque or transparent or somewhere in between

https://www.liquitex.com/row/products/professional/colors/acrylic-ink/

Titanium White is an opaque ink. The greens I clicked on were all transparent. Like someone said above, it’s better to get your values done with white ink, then put the green on on top of that

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Decorus posted:

I've spent the last two months (occasionally) painting a pair of battle robots, and I'm really proud of them. I tried for some sort of a retro colour scheme, like some old metal toy robot. Got maybe a bit too excited with the chipping on the arms, but they started out way too clean-looking compared to my army and I got kinda carried away. The bases turned out pretty nice too, my old style was a bit flat and cold. Turns out I only needed a sepia wash to add some warmth and shadows.

The lighting is a bit bad, unfortunately, sorry about that.

The rest of the deconstruction crew

Nice work on the robutt. I think you captured the retro toy robot look. Chipping adds a lot of interest too. They'll stand out amoung your deconstruction crew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Verisimilidude posted:

Do you have a link for it? I was thinking of picking up a cheapy airbrush to start with since I have the space now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01984G4SU/

I immediately threw the paint set they included into my junk paint drawer as I have plenty of paint to try out already, aside from that everything included feels like it's well made. This airbrush set is a testament to a planned economy and a well subsidized manufacturing base :china: