Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

EBB posted:

oscillator go brr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Tayter Swift posted:

I wouldn't recommend an MS-20 if you want something you can use with other gear. The oscillator pitch is controlled in hertz/volt, instead of the now-standard V/octave, and it has a different mechanism for triggering envelopes as well.

As far as I know the k-2 does the same thing.

Yeah, I got a used k-2 yesterday with no intentions of using it with the modular.
Wouldn’t recommend if your not specifically into ms20 sound/processing.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Google Butt posted:

How are you controlling it?

midi keyboard/FL studio

EBB posted:

oscillator go brr

lol

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Rah! posted:

midi keyboard/FL studio

lol

Btw pretty neat site if you want some patches to mess with https://patch-library.net/patches?device=behringer-neutron

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Rah! posted:

midi keyboard/FL studio

lol

I’d prolly get the one with the built in keyboard, and then maybe get a K-2 if you decide to get that second one.

But just to be safe maybe google up some “MS-20mini vs K-2 differences” and peep whatever forum threads/articles/YouTube vids pop up breaking those down so you don’t end up missing out on some esoteric functionality specific to your wants that Korg/Behringer added to/removed from their synth.

For example, I don’t remember if Behringer made accessing the two different VCFs easier (as opposed to opening it up and moving a jumper), more difficult, or removed the option entirely 🤷🏻‍♂️.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Oct 15, 2020

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’d prolly get the one with the built in keyboard, and then maybe get a K-2 if you decide to get that second one.

But just to be safe maybe google up some “MS-20mini vs K-2 differences” and peep whatever forum threads/articles/YouTube vids pop up breaking those down so you don’t end up missing out on some esoteric functionality specific to your wants that Korg/Behringer added to/removed from their synth.

For example, I don’t remember if Behringer made accessing the two different VCFs easier (as opposed to opening it up and moving a jumper), more difficult, or removed the option entirely 🤷🏻‍♂️.

you quoted the wrong guy lol im not interested in getting an MS-20 or a K-2

unless i had a lot more money, that is

and a bigger apartment

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Google Butt posted:

Btw pretty neat site if you want some patches to mess with https://patch-library.net/patches?device=behringer-neutron

:vince:

whoa thanks

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Coming into synths as a non-piano player made a sequencer more valuable than a keyboard at first. The little Korg standalone or a DIY Sweet 16 might be inexpensive options?

For keys: I've got a Keystep 32 but now that I'm trying to practice scales or move around more a few more keys is getting attractive. Depends on what you want to do.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Thanks for the feedback re the ms20/k2/neutron etc y'all. While I do really love the ms20 sound and don't yet have other modular stuff to use it with, things that don't adhere to standards and play well with others are absolutely a deal breaker for me. I'll keep an eye out for a deal on the neutron.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
My modular setup doesn't look like this at all anymore but whatever. It was mid-assembly.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I haven't bought any Behringer stuff yet (hell I haven't bought any synth stuff in months) but their 2600 clone is about to ship and drat do I want it.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Catastrophe posted:

My modular setup doesn't look like this at all anymore but whatever. It was mid-assembly.

Sup fellow portlander, how’s that makekko wiard oscillator treating you?

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Chenghiz posted:

Sup fellow portlander, how’s that makekko wiard oscillator treating you?

I like it. It's simple and sounds great. The sine output is outstanding. Feeding a signal into the phase modulation is fun. It was the used demo model at Modular8 so I got it at a discount too.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

Apologies if this gets asked all the time, but didn't see this get answered in the OP: could someone recommend a good software package to record / edit what I'm playing? Googling brings 100s of suggestions without any sort of consensus.

That is because there is none. DAWs are not that different from 3d software - some folks like Blender, some like 3dsmax, or Maya, or C4D. Everyone will defend their choice as the best.

All of these are complex pieces of software with lots of possibilities and there is honestly not really a best. Get a trial version, and see if you like it or if it seems to fight you every step of the way.

That said, avoid ProTools.

Also, lots of people pick that which has the most tutorials, so Live and FL are popular candidates.

Reason and Bitwig are also nice options btw.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Oct 17, 2020

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

Hello thread - I'm very, very new to synthesisers and have no idea what I'm doing with my new lockdown present to myself but I'm having fun

Apologies if this gets asked all the time, but didn't see this get answered in the OP: could someone recommend a good software package to record / edit what I'm playing? Googling brings 100s of suggestions without any sort of consensus.
I'm on windows and don't mind paying a bit (though would prefer to avoid the expensive professional suites at this stage in my career)

Edit: oh and the synth itself is a MicroKorg S. I note the MicroKorg gets shat on in the OP but this is the S so glad I avoided that

You can start with audacity which is free and has plenty of editing and mastering options. But it's not a DAW. It just records straight from the audio in. If you want to record jams and noodling it's more than enough, especially if you have a mixer.

If you want a DAW Ableton live usually comes free with a bunch of gear too. There is a free 90 days trial too.

These days I only use audacity because I'm not interested in arranging a track on a computer, just recording my noodling, forcing me to become better at playing live with the sequencers and parameters.

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Oct 17, 2020

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Reaper really butters my biscuit. It's always as simple or as deep as I need it to be. Also the varispeed recording is a huge feature for me.

theratking
Jan 18, 2012
I play synths with a family member with late stage alzheimer's. So far they have enjoyed:
- Holding drone notes w/ polyphonic aftertouch on the Hydrasynth while I play some melody
- Messing around (with a little help) with an expression pedal they hold in their lap that modulates the Hydrasynth while I play or it plays a sequence
- Playing with the ribbon controller / animoog on the Model 15 app on ipad with my help to make sure their finger stays in the right area (there is an apocalypse drone that is particularly fun)
- Pressing random buttons on the Deluge to sequence a beat

It's a long shot but I'm wondering if there are any other ipad apps that people think would be good to try here? Something with instant feedback with very large control surfaces where it is hard to "miss" would be ideal, as well as something where you don't actually have to lift your fingers off the screen to make changes. Any other suggestions or ideas to try are welcome too!

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I recorded a short jam with some hardware and a Beatstep Pro. And a macaw.

https://alonetone.com/spacehoers/tracks/birb-jam

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

theratking posted:

I play synths with a family member with late stage alzheimer's. So far they have enjoyed:
- Holding drone notes w/ polyphonic aftertouch on the Hydrasynth while I play some melody
- Messing around (with a little help) with an expression pedal they hold in their lap that modulates the Hydrasynth while I play or it plays a sequence
- Playing with the ribbon controller / animoog on the Model 15 app on ipad with my help to make sure their finger stays in the right area (there is an apocalypse drone that is particularly fun)
- Pressing random buttons on the Deluge to sequence a beat

It's a long shot but I'm wondering if there are any other ipad apps that people think would be good to try here? Something with instant feedback with very large control surfaces where it is hard to "miss" would be ideal, as well as something where you don't actually have to lift your fingers off the screen to make changes. Any other suggestions or ideas to try are welcome too!

Brian Eno collaborated on several generative music-type apps on iOS. I have one called Trope; they’re all cool looking and neat to doodle with. You can find at least some of them in the App Store searching “Brian Eno”

Others I have that are fun to play with: iKaossilator, Monovista, Bloom

I’m not sure that these have iPad versions but maybe(?)

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
orphion maybe

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Ughhhh so I just ordered a neutron and i'm already eyeing up stuff for a 'small' modular setup to accompany it. Is there anyone that makes the equivalent of a bunch of passive modular (mults, attenuators etc) elements in a standalone box? I remember someone posting about these little y shaped jacks used to split patch cables, any ideas what those are called?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Plankton ninja stars are great little passive mults. Other manufacturers make similar things.
https://www.planktonelectronics.com/store/ninja-stars/

Koma attenuator cables are convenient too
https://koma-elektronik.com/?product=koma-attenuator-cable

e: links

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Oct 20, 2020

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Perfect Circuit sells a lot of variety too. Get longer cables than you think you need.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

EBB posted:

Get longer cables than you think you need.

I'm glad I watched all my former bandmates learn this the hard way so I don't have to.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Bored Brain make the best cables imo.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Novation: We got a super-sneaky exclusive Aphex Twin model coming up for you!

Novation: *releases 7-year-old synth with year-old firmware and some new badging*

Same as the industry ever was, I guess.

edit: I mean, Moog just did effectively the same thing with the Grandmother/Matriarch rereleases, but c'mon. Literally a coat of paint, y'all.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

rickiep00h posted:

Novation: *releases 7-year-old synth with year-old firmware and some new badging*

edit: I mean, Moog just did effectively the same thing with the Grandmother/Matriarch rereleases, but c'mon. Literally a coat of paint, y'all.

Or like Elektron with the "new" Analog 4 and Analog Rytm, where they took the existing grey ones and asked themselves "it's like how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black."

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

rickiep00h posted:

Chipping in with the Roland SP-404A. Fuckers.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

McCoy Pauley posted:

Or like Elektron with the "new" Analog 4 and Analog Rytm, where they took the existing grey ones and asked themselves "it's like how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black."

Is it bad that I like the look of the black one better?

I mean, I don't have one, but... It looks pretty cool.

Yas
Apr 7, 2009

McCoy Pauley posted:

My analog four mk1 also was updated with the new firmware so I can't complain.

Judge Judy
Apr 16, 2001
BS2, the Analogs, and the Moogs are all still great synths getting good firmware update support. Better this than replacing the old models with something very similar and discontinuing updates on the originals.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I expect Korg's flagships for another decade to be four more colors of the Kronos.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
I pulled out my Juno-106 for the first time in about a year and messed with it. Even in my amateur unskilled hands it sounds sooo good. Of course it started loving up after about 30 minutes. Now I gotta take it to a shop that will probably charge me a decent chunk of change to fix it. The perils of being a vintage synth owner.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Krustic posted:

I pulled out my Juno-106 for the first time in about a year and messed with it. Even in my amateur unskilled hands it sounds sooo good. Of course it started loving up after about 30 minutes. Now I gotta take it to a shop that will probably charge me a decent chunk of change to fix it. The perils of being a vintage synth owner.

I fired up my microwave 1 awhile back after maybe six months. Instanly started to flicker the ligths and screen, psu probably dying. That would be my third waldorf with a dead psu.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

Krustic posted:

chip soak fix isn't that hard to do and thats 95% of the common issues with junos

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

W424 posted:

I fired up my microwave 1 awhile back after maybe six months. Instanly started to flicker the ligths and screen, psu probably dying. That would be my third waldorf with a dead psu.

Probably just needs to have its capacitors replaced. I also have a Microwave 1 but I haven't had the screen flicker yet but sometimes it won't boot up if it hasn't been turned on for a while, takes a few power cycles before it boots up but after that everything works fine.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Clavavisage posted:

chip soak fix isn't that hard to do and thats 95% of the common issues with junos

I had that done along with getting the chips socketed, battery holder, modern power cable etc. The symptoms seem kinda minor, I can only play 4 notes at a time instead of the usual 6 and 1 key is dead and another is intermittent so hopefully it won’t be too bad.

W424 posted:

That’s a badass synth. That sucks.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

Krustic posted:

Theres a test mode to see if its a dead voice chip
http://analoguerenaissance.com/JUNOTEST/

Also theres now third party replacement voice chips available if aforementioned soak doesn't fix it.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

A LOVELY LAD posted:

Theres a test mode to see if its a dead voice chip
http://analoguerenaissance.com/JUNOTEST/

Also theres now third party replacement voice chips available if aforementioned soak doesn't fix it.

Saving this. Thanks!! Gonna try it later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Hello synth thread. It seems I have become interested in synthesis lately. It went from making synthy noises on guitar to trying out some software tools with a midi keyboard to buying a Korg Monologue and loving around with that. I also just got one of those little Bastl toys that makes weird noises when you plug wires into it and it is indescribably satisfying to make atonal bleep bloop sccrrch brrrs with it. I get some of the general ideas behind the basic stuff like oscillators, wave shapes and filters but I'm wondering if there are some good resources for learning a bit more about how to turn it into music? Like, from a technical perspective, here's how you build good patches kind of way.

Also, if I'm interested in modular (lol "if", of course I'm interested in modular) what's a decent way to get my feet wet, something semi modular like a Mother-32 or Lifeforms SV-1? Or does it make more sense to get something cheap like a Volca Modular and goof around with that? The software stuff that's out there is pretty amazing honestly but it just doesn't inspire the same joy as that stupid little noise box or the Korg I got so I'm thinking I'd like some hardware with actual knobs to learn on. Apparently Behringer makes good things now? Anyway, any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!