Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Some Guy TT posted:

if you want to make yourself mad for no reason try reading the negative reviews for the free state of jones most of which call the movie racist for having the main character be a white guy

Basically no journalists or media critics know anything about the 19th century, let alone the Civil War

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

execute bashir for treason

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

oh one of my favorite movies that no else can probably see is called a korean in paris its about this guy whose wife disappears on their honeymoon in paris and he slowly turns into a homeless dude trying to find her he thinks she became a prostitute but wasnt sure if it was by force or not because she was really kinky

features a great scene where he hangs out with a couple of french bums carrying cheap bottles of wine and offering to give him some and i will always find that image deeply hilarious of french bums chugging down wine straight from the bottle because thats gotta be something that happens in paris like literally every minute of the day but it doesnt match up with the popular image of paris at all

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I don't know what it used to look like but I find the current artwork pretty ugly.

identical to the old show but with terrible uniform linework and choppier animation

have no idea if they’ll delve into politics (covfefe!berders!bigly!) but if that’s the case eagerly awaiting manchild chuds bemoaning “why’d they have to make Animaniacs political” :ironicat:

mind, it’s not going to be good!

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

i did a search for headlines on this show and apparently parisians are angry because its not real paris but stuff like ratatouille and midnight in paris is

now personally ive never been to paris but ive always felt like the media ive seen that most resembles the real paris is the childrens cartoon miraculous

because thats the only thing ive ever seen thats set in paris that treats paris like a totally normal place where people actually live and isnt constantly jizzing about how awesome paris is

that show has made so many weird enemies
https://twitter.com/EW/status/1314017248470859777?s=20

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so apparently all that currently exists of the new animaniacs is this ninety second clip so i figured id just watch it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh_vASjvYQE

im bothered less by whatever changes have been made to the animation and more by the shameless wanking over the original show framed by a parody of a movie thats even older than it was

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Some Guy TT posted:

i did a search for headlines on this show and apparently parisians are angry because its not real paris but stuff like ratatouille and midnight in paris is

now personally ive never been to paris but ive always felt like the media ive seen that most resembles the real paris is the childrens cartoon miraculous

because thats the only thing ive ever seen thats set in paris that treats paris like a totally normal place where people actually live and isnt constantly jizzing about how awesome paris is

I Lost My Body is similar, because despite featuring a magic sapient hand the movie treats Paris as just another city

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Some Guy TT posted:

It's like the flipside of Paris Syndrome where tourists have complete freakouts when they visit Paris and it's not literally supermodels walking poodles down the street and men in striped shirts and berets with mustaches holding baguettes while riding bicycles. (though apparently the last one does actually happen)

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Battle of North Anna with an extended scene of Robert E Lee just making GBS threads and farting everywhere while Grant kicks rear end and finally breaks the impasse of the Overland Campaign

An overland campaign series that ends with Grant standing in a trench outside Petersburg mentioning. "You know, i could've sailed my army here and been in the same exact situation."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Panzeh posted:

An overland campaign series that ends with Grant standing in a trench outside Petersburg mentioning. "You know, i could've sailed my army here and been in the same exact situation."

I've read books on the First Bull Run, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, and the Seven Days Battles and it was only that last one that made me want to throw it at the wall from how dumb it was. McClellan sucked.

(Malvern Hill was at least illustrative of the power and value of well-placed artillery, even before Pickett's Charge)

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
If you read Shelby Foote's Civil War series you have to spend like 1500 pages with McClellan constantly overestimating the size of whatever Confederate army was opposing him because of dishwater intel from the Pinkertons. I could forgive it once but after Joseph E Johnston retreated from Munson's Hill and left nothing but Quaker guns behind, McClellan should have known that maybe Johnston didn't outnumber him two-to-one after all. He just sits outside of Richmond for weeks because he's always convinced that the Confederacy outnumbers him by some insane ratio when the opposite is nearly always true. Grant is a breath of fresh air because there's no flummery or pageantry or pomposity, just quiet confidence. He's the first commander in the east to use the Union's superior numbers to its advantage even if it means fuckups like Cold Harbor. McClellan getting owned in the 1864 election is the only consolation you get from him.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's like the flipside of Paris Syndrome where tourists have complete freakouts when they visit Paris and it's not literally supermodels walking poodles down the street and men in striped shirts and berets with mustaches holding baguettes while riding bicycles. (though apparently the last one does actually happen)

thats true, the supermodels walking down the street are in Barcelona

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

lmao

https://twitter.com/_flowerguardian/status/1317401691076124673?s=21

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

I have come to accept that stupid people need critics who exist on their level too

Serf
May 5, 2011

i'm binging horror movies and i just watched "phantasm" for the first time in like 20 years. i never realized until now that the movie features the gom jabbar

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Phantasm 1 and 2 rule

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Free State of Jones is pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdpENXQTros

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

oh my god lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Wheeee posted:

I have come to accept that stupid people need critics who exist on their level too

I dunno, apparently moviebob just lost his job?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Last night I finished watching Deadwood for the first time, but not the movie yet. I thought the first season was pretty good, second season started to spin it's wheels and the third season was pretty bad at just having stuff going on of no consequence.

The very Shakespearian dialogue made me watch with subtitles on, which I've never done for an English dialogue show before, and I thought it was all a bit much.

Looks like they put a huge effort into the sets and costumes, but it really doesn't get above a 3/5 from me.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I dunno, apparently moviebob just lost his job?

im trying to figure out how he ever even got that job in the first place

i dont mean in the sense of movie bob sucks but more how it seems kind of off brand for the escapist to have a movie critic whos like the exact opposite of yahtzee stylewise when yahtzees the main reason anyone even knows what the escapist is

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

starting octavia butler's parable of the sower after having just watched the bell riots episode of ds9 and I just realized they're both set in 4 years

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Some Guy TT posted:

im trying to figure out how he ever even got that job in the first place

i dont mean in the sense of movie bob sucks but more how it seems kind of off brand for the escapist to have a movie critic whos like the exact opposite of yahtzee stylewise when yahtzees the main reason anyone even knows what the escapist is

the escapist's business model appears to be 'completely random flailing' from all accounts

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I was one of the idiots who liked MovieBob from my lib days.

Maybe a decade ago or so, his reviews seemed like a good mix of informed criticism (that didn't lean on "intentionally controversial" contrarian takes) and earnest geek fanboyism which I kind of understood at the time. It also helped that he aggressively told the GamerGate crowd to gently caress off; his liberal politics didn't seem to be that terrible at the time. It's the same benefit of the doubt I afforded to other liberals, even though there were plenty of clues about his gross class politics.

I was fairly late to the MovieBob hate train. It was only fully mask off after the 2016 election.

Echo Chamber has issued a correction as of 19:43 on Oct 19, 2020

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

starkebn posted:

Last night I finished watching Deadwood for the first time, but not the movie yet. I thought the first season was pretty good, second season started to spin it's wheels and the third season was pretty bad at just having stuff going on of no consequence.

The very Shakespearian dialogue made me watch with subtitles on, which I've never done for an English dialogue show before, and I thought it was all a bit much.

Looks like they put a huge effort into the sets and costumes, but it really doesn't get above a 3/5 from me.

i like deadwood and i like watching people drink whiskey and play cards but it is REALLY overhyped. somewhat similar to The Shield, The Sopranos or other prestige television of the mid-2000s, i guess tv critics felt that they had to play up its quality so that tv could be finally recognized as a legitimate art form or whatever

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

The movie Robert

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Aglet56 posted:

i like deadwood and i like watching people drink whiskey and play cards but it is REALLY overhyped. somewhat similar to The Shield, The Sopranos or other prestige television of the mid-2000s, i guess tv critics felt that they had to play up its quality so that tv could be finally recognized as a legitimate art form or whatever

Agreed. It's a good setup or start ... but boy does it fall off, with plot threads that go nowhere and rolling around in its own gratuitous elements. Like the ridiculous serial killer in series 2.

Prestige TV has become a plague, with lots of underemployed journalists and bloggers writing endlessly about what's going to happen on X, what just happened on X, 10 times that something happened on X, actor explains their character, sneak peak at next season, director explains their "process", what it all means ...

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

prestige tv is a completely meaningless term now but it was a huge deal when people first figured out how to make tv shows that werent bad. anyway the sopranos is still great

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Sopranos was great at the time, but I can't imagine watching through it again.

I'm liking the new trend of streaming services throwing everything at the wall, with stuff like Raised by Wolves and Undone.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Echo Chamber posted:

I was one of the idiots who liked MovieBob from my lib days.

Maybe a decade ago or so, his reviews seemed like a good mix of informed criticism (that didn't lean on "intentionally controversial" contrarian takes) and earnest geek fanboyism which I kind of understood at the time. It also helped that he aggressively told the GamerGate crowd to gently caress off; his liberal politics didn't seem to be that terrible at the time. It's the same benefit of the doubt I afforded to other liberals, even though there were plenty of clues about his gross class politics.

I was fairly late to the MovieBob hate train. It was only fully mask off after the 2016 election.

A lot of his politics make sense when you realize that he still hasn't gotten over being bullied in High School at the age of 40.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Wheeee posted:

Sopranos was great at the time, but I can't imagine watching through it again.

I'm liking the new trend of streaming services throwing everything at the wall, with stuff like Raised by Wolves and Undone.

sopranos and the wire and breaking bad and mad men are all still good. i'm following through jerusalems insanely in depth let's watch and mad men (he just finished sopranos) is still really clear in my memory.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
robert patrick in sopranos was a goddamn all time performance and i remember very little else of substance from the show other than gandolfini being pretty and talented

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

amy schumer is showing up on my tv a lot, and, i gotta say, it's kinda tickin' me off

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
speaking of the wire, Dominic West is gonna play Prince Charles in The Crown lmfao

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

posting in a secret hidden second page only thread

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/aurelioacts/status/1318666408092459013

lol

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

speaking of the wire, Dominic West is gonna play Prince Charles in The Crown lmfao

The media is gaga over The Crown, with Twitter eager for the casting decisions, strange as they are:

* Prince Charles played by Dominic West, a man who looks nothing like Prince Charles
* Gillian Anderson playing Margaret Thatcher, looking like Gillian Anderson with a huge wig crammed on her head
* Someone as Princess Di, whose big 80s hair they have toned right, right down

Matt Smith as Prince Phillip I can absolutely buy, because he looks pale, awkward and vaguely inbred

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

she’s right

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
nations of the world is a good song

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010