Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

I feel like 3 headed flails are a trap. Once you’re fighting anything with any serious armour each individual head does so little damage that you end up doing next to no damage through the armour and good luck causing injury which in turn means your opponents stay at their best for longer.

They're a trap if you expect them to kill things, yes, because they shred unarmoured enemies but do basically nothing to anyone with actual defences. But they're good for someone who has trash melee attack to still usually hit things with. I have a guy who has like, 50ish melee attack at level 11 but who I keep around because of his 150 hp, good resolve and the fact that he has enough fatigue to wear full plate and carry an orcish shield and still do things. He doesn't kill things, no, but he locks down entire groups enemies who can neither kill him through his enormous defences nor actually escape to do other things because even with his awful attack he'll still clip them at least once with the flail if they try and move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

cock hero flux posted:

They're a trap if you expect them to kill things, yes, because they shred unarmoured enemies but do basically nothing to anyone with actual defences. But they're good for someone who has trash melee attack to still usually hit things with. I have a guy who has like, 50ish melee attack at level 11 but who I keep around because of his 150 hp, good resolve and the fact that he has enough fatigue to wear full plate and carry an orcish shield and still do things. He doesn't kill things, no, but he locks down entire groups enemies who can neither kill him through his enormous defences nor actually escape to do other things because even with his awful attack he'll still clip them at least once with the flail if they try and move.

I prefer to just not hire the guy with poo poo melee attack. Anyone with less than 80 gets their resume placed directly in the shredder. I mean don’t get me wrong some of my guys will end up using a 3 head flail until I buy or find them a mace; but I don’t subscribe to the idea of creating suboptimal builds to accomodate substandard bros. A guy with 150hp and 50 matk is basically useless; he’s not going to make enough of an impact to a battle to justify taking him over anyone else.

I mean can you imagine if you rocked up to a job interview and they were like ‘hmm; you’re not really qualified for this job but you must be useful for something; so we’ll hire you can come up with something you won’t suck at’.

The exception is Ironman mode of course where everyone you hire is a sunk cost; but that’s not a style of play I’m into.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

I prefer to just not hire the guy with poo poo melee attack. Anyone with less than 80 gets their resume placed directly in the shredder. I mean don’t get me wrong some of my guys will end up using a 3 head flail until I buy or find them a mace; but I don’t subscribe to the idea of creating suboptimal builds to accomodate substandard bros. A guy with 150hp and 50 matk is basically useless; he’s not going to make enough of an impact to a battle to justify taking him over anyone else.

I mean can you imagine if you rocked up to a job interview and they were like ‘hmm; you’re not really qualified for this job but you must be useful for something; so we’ll hire you can come up with something you won’t suck at’.

Having a guy who is functionally immortal that can rotate wounded men to safety and occupy the attention of 6 enemies at a time(and won't be bothered if I fire guns at him to hit the people around him) is extremely useful. In fact, I wouldn't call him substandard or sub-optimal at all: he does exactly what I intended him to do, and he never fails at it. In terms of impact I'd actually put him, individually, as one of the most impactful people on my roster, second only to the top gunner(who he acts as a force multiplier for because he encourages the enemy to form clumps that are perfect for shooting into, and he himself is bulletproof so I don't need to bother shooting around him).

quote:

The exception is Ironman mode of course where everyone you hire is a sunk cost; but that’s not a style of play I’m into.

oh well this explains a lot actually. I don't play Ironman because I like to retry fights that go unbelievably badly but I can't possibly imagine going around save-scum hiring every single guy I see available to just to try and assemble a team with perfect stats. That sounds like the polar opposite of fun.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

To each their own I guess.

At the end of the day though I think the key thing for everyone is to have a plan and build your company around that plan - This is how I defeat Orcs, this combination of 12/16 bros is the optimum configuration to bring to an orc fight in order to achieve that. and so forth for different battles. For every bro you should be able to have a clear idea of what their contribution is to the overall plan.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Most of my bro's just stab things but i won't pretend that my lovely utility bro who's only real purpose is to be a solid tank who throws nets and firebombs isn't one of the single most noticeable bro in pretty much every fight I have. Not only did he get my company up to strength real early by letting me net and dagger party everyone, but he's saved tons of lives by rotating in.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

How much should I be concerned about the durability on this?

I mean no fatigue reduction kinda sucks but it rolled pretty well on the damage

The cleaver I got from the mad barb is pretty rear end by comparision I think?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I wouldn't worry about that durability, especially on a cleaver you're unlikely to wear it out in a single battle.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Holy poo poo that’s a high damage roll. I know on a warscythe you’d always carry a backup weapon but the cleaver is not going to hit nearly as many times in a battle. There’s no harm carrying a backup weapon for a few battles though just till you get a sense of things.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

The Lord Bude posted:

You've said that thing about job interviews a couple times but ya know what, sometimes I wish that happened in the real world yes.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Ixtlilton posted:

You've said that thing about job interviews a couple times but ya know what, sometimes I wish that happened in the real world yes.

Yeah I was quite proud of the analogy. And yes it would be rather nice.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

Yeah I was quite proud of the analogy. And yes it would be rather nice.

the situation of "I don't think you'd be a good fit for this position but we have another opening that I think you'd be better suited for, I'll schedule another interview for that one" has actually happened to me so it's not quite as outlandish a scenario as you're making it out to be

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

60 meg update today?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

the situation of "I don't think you'd be a good fit for this position but we have another opening that I think you'd be better suited for, I'll schedule another interview for that one" has actually happened to me so it's not quite as outlandish a scenario as you're making it out to be

Not the same thing. In your scenario you’re hiring someone for another position you need because they fit that one. In my scenario you don’t have a position they’re a fit for but you’re keeping them on anyway because they seem like they could be good at something in the future. Essentially creating a position you didn’t need for them.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Update says it fixed the UI freeze at end of combat thank god

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I've never noticed it, what was happening?

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

When the enemy were all fleeing and the box pops up with chase/leave it locked up the game if you were simultaneously starting a new round, meaning you had to quit out and replay the battle

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Ugh one of my fantastic main line shield bro's was struck down.

Had 70ish mdef. He still has low 40s with a busted knee so I'll keep him on for a bit, but his Ini is so bad that some of the quicker zombies are beating him. Time for more tryouts I suppose.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Donkringel posted:

Ugh one of my fantastic main line shield bro's was struck down.

Had 70ish mdef. He still has low 40s with a busted knee so I'll keep him on for a bit, but his Ini is so bad that some of the quicker zombies are beating him. Time for more tryouts I suppose.
Time to let him run into a line of enemies without any gear retire with grace and honor

8 Ball posted:

Update says it fixed the UI freeze at end of combat thank god
Nice! It didn't happen often but every time it did it sucked a lot

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Tin Tim posted:

Time to let him run into a line of enemies without any gear retire with grace and honor
The funniest thing about retiring people is that when it happens late the only reason to pay them off is basically roleplaying and feeling bad for a series of numbers. The optimal solution is always just to feed the brothers who get bad permanent injuries to orcs or something because morale hits from deaths aren't usually bad if it's just one death, and even then you can just go get hosed up at the tavern.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Fabricated posted:

The funniest thing about retiring people is that when it happens late the only reason to pay them off is basically roleplaying and feeling bad for a series of numbers. The optimal solution is always just to feed the brothers who get bad permanent injuries to orcs or something because morale hits from deaths aren't usually bad if it's just one death, and even then you can just go get hosed up at the tavern.

If you lose too many bros, then one of your best guys can become a drunk from his friends dying, and that's not a good event. Plus imo if someone is useless enough to die or retire, it's better to retire them so you can start training up their replacement sooner.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

Fabricated posted:

I always RP games like these even when it leads to suboptimal play. I even pay the ten gold to random people that the game just gives me that aren't good enough to hold the line.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Yeah. I'll play scratch-off lottery with cripples, refugees, and other peasant backgrounds, and if they're too bad to even bother to train, I still pay their retirement.

Weebus
Feb 26, 2017

vyelkin posted:

If you lose too many bros, then one of your best guys can become a drunk from his friends dying, and that's not a good event. Plus imo if someone is useless enough to die or retire, it's better to retire them so you can start training up their replacement sooner.

Unless it happens to a ranged bro, that's a good event.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Yeah. I'll play scratch-off lottery with cripples, refugees, and other peasant backgrounds, and if they're too bad to even bother to train, I still pay their retirement.

Imagine how awesome that is for the farmhand. You show up for a couple hours, do a try out, get 200 gold, then they pay you another 10 to go back to your farm.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Tin Tim posted:

The odd thing is that killing them is more optimal cash wise plus I actually remember who they are. If I retire them I don't have any remembrance of who they were.

For example my drill sargent is a throwing duelist brother who i remember got traumatized, but I cant remember anything beyond that. I'll just remember this knee brother got beaned by a beserker twice in a row with shield wall up.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Weebus posted:

Unless it happens to a ranged bro, that's a good event.

Disagree. The stat changes can be a positive, but you only have to have a drunkard lose a named item once to never want one in your company ever again.

Weebus
Feb 26, 2017
Can you lose equipped items from that event or does it have to be sitting in your inventory? I've never lost named items from that event, either I'm lucky or maybe it's because I always have them equipped (unless it's a shield in which case I'm fine with losing it).
e: I checked the wiki and apparently the chance for triggering that event increases for every drunkard so I can definitely see how it can get out of hand with multiple drunkards. I've never run more than one drunkard at a time so haven't really had any problem with it so far.

Weebus fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 21, 2020

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I have a drunkard monk banner and he loses something probably every 2-3 weeks but I don't whip him since I think that has negative consequences. I just throw him on latrine duty. He has mostly lost extra weapons I was hanging onto for some reason, but he hasn't lost anything named yet.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

Any tips for a peasant militia start?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Fabricated posted:

I have a drunkard monk banner and he loses something probably every 2-3 weeks but I don't whip him since I think that has negative consequences. I just throw him on latrine duty. He has mostly lost extra weapons I was hanging onto for some reason, but he hasn't lost anything named yet.

The main consequence of whipping is that you risk him sobering up and losing the drunk trait.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

8 Ball posted:

Any tips for a peasant militia start?

Difficulty scaling is hugely influenced by how many bros you have in your company. If you walk around on day 5 with 12 garbage bros you’ll get destroyed. Fire anyone in your starting group that you wouldn’t normally consider worth keeping then proceed from there.

You’re not going to end up with the god tier 2handers with 40+ mdef that you would if you had access to more expensive backgrounds; but I find that with the extra guys a 2hander or a duelist is viable with 20+ mdef. Just take reach advantage on the 2hander or dodge and overwhelm on the duelist. Having a back line with 2 gunners and 2-3 swordlances doing AOE damage and applying AOE overwhelm and fearsome will make a huge difference to your survivability.

Edit: Legolas is a good seed with a decent map layout and an unusually high proportion of bros worth keeping out of the initial 12.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Oct 22, 2020

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I'm wondering about the details of the random camp mechanics. By now it happened a few times that I discovered a juicy undead camp with a priest and honor guards on top of more chaff enemies which should have decent chances for famed loot or lots of treasure. So when I returned some time later to fight it the enemies inside the camp are a lot weaker and of course I get no cool treasures out of it. Why does that happen? Do the enemies just deplete with time due to the patrol spawns?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tin Tim posted:

I'm wondering about the details of the random camp mechanics. By now it happened a few times that I discovered a juicy undead camp with a priest and honor guards on top of more chaff enemies which should have decent chances for famed loot or lots of treasure. So when I returned some time later to fight it the enemies inside the camp are a lot weaker and of course I get no cool treasures out of it. Why does that happen? Do the enemies just deplete with time due to the patrol spawns?

The guards reroll every time a patrol spawns, yes. But I don't believe those rerolls affect famed loot. I've found famed items in astonishingly easy camps sometimes.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

Periodically the camp will change its composition. Like for example every time it spawns a patrol the garrison will diminish, but it won't be a direct depletion based on what the patrol was, it just recalculates a new random garrison at a lower strength. And I think if a patrol comes back and merges with the camp again it does the same thing but with a higher strength garrison.

That said, I think the chances for a unique item are calculated for the camp itself, not for the garrison, so what the garrison is doesn't affect your chances of unique loot. That's more based on what type of camp it is and how far it is from civilization.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Night10194 posted:

The guards reroll every time a patrol spawns, yes. But I don't believe those rerolls affect famed loot. I've found famed items in astonishingly easy camps sometimes.

I think distance from towns is the biggest factor for famed chance

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Thanks for the info. Still feel like I got robbed :v:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Each camp type has a base chance of spawning a named item; then it’s influenced by distance from the nearest town.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
So I know that contracts are more of an early game thing and you really want to go exploring for the good loot but...

If you have the bounty hunter definitely take the high difficulty bandit camp clears. With multiple hedge knights, bandit leaders, swordsmasters and master archers, that's a lot of rolls to see if they're champions. I got two champions in my last fight, ended up with a sweet bow, nice helmet and full plate mail and maul from a hedge knight.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The hilarious thing is because Gobbos' standard units can all roll Champion, you run into shitloads of Gobbo champions once you have the Hunter since he's like a flat +3% to Champion chance per unit that can roll it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Anyone have a good cultist seed they want to share?