Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I think I asked this before but I'm not sure I got an answer or if I did i forget it.

EDIT: well gently caress me. I realized I had a goulet polishing cloth so I used that and it seems to have cleaned up nice. Hopefully that was safe to use.

I have an old vintage pen. This.

It's covered in 1/16 14k gold that was popular back in the early 20th century. The nib isn't in amazing shape but its good enough that its fun to write with. Unfortunately, the pen loving STINKS. It's that smell that old metal gets that smells vaguely of sauerkraut. What's a good way to clean it? Soap & Water didn't do much and I know alcohol is off the table.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Oct 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meat glitter
Nov 12, 2019

LionArcher posted:

fresca blue is on my list, but so is the wicked witch of the west, the other blue, the key lime, and finally (the one I'll probably get) tangerine dream. If I do buy it. (Still not 100%) would the thread want pics? I'll go 1911L in medium nib. (I prefer non scratchy but not too big.

tangerine looks sick too, that would be my 2nd choice if i were gonna buy 2 of the same $300 pen :)

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
https://www.reddit.com/r/fountainpe...tm_source=share

I told you all this poo poo is the devil

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Keetron posted:

That is way over my price range, I'll stick to the sub 100 pens and it also means I am complete with 4 pens unless I find new colors I *need* in a pen such as a nice deep dark green.

You need to understand, I'm currently a single geek who works for himself, has no child support and a low rent situation who also has no debt of any kind in my early 30's. I can technically tax write this off as a publisher (my full-time job). If those things weren't the case, I would never, ever tell anyone to buy a pen above $100 unless it's a single grail pen like the Lamy 2000 or a single Sailor. But everyone do them. No money shaming in this hobby from me. (and other goons keep buying pens and showing photos, love seeing them all).

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Lastly, are the TSWBI Echo's fixed the cracking issues with the barrel? I was thinking of picking one up as well but I don't want a pen that has a known cracking/leaking issue.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Professor Shark posted:

Will the TWSBI 580 Inkwell work with the 580ALR series? I'm tired of having to clean the tiny textured aluminum section with soap every time I refill it (which is pretty infrequent, this thing really does hold a lot of ink!).

I haven't tried the inkwell, but you could probably fix that problem by using a syringe to refill the pen.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

LionArcher posted:

You need to understand, I'm currently a single geek who works for himself, has no child support and a low rent situation who also has no debt of any kind in my early 30's. I can technically tax write this off as a publisher (my full-time job). If those things weren't the case, I would never, ever tell anyone to buy a pen above $100 unless it's a single grail pen like the Lamy 2000 or a single Sailor. But everyone do them. No money shaming in this hobby from me. (and other goons keep buying pens and showing photos, love seeing them all).

Everyone should own 40+ expensive, Italian-made pens, AS LONG AS THEY AREN'T DELTAS

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

LionArcher posted:

Lastly, are the TSWBI Echo's fixed the cracking issues with the barrel? I was thinking of picking one up as well but I don't want a pen that has a known cracking/leaking issue.

The Eco had far fewer cracking problems than the diamond 580, if I remember correctly. May be worth a search on reddit or Foutnain Pen Network to see if anyone noted any changes. I think I still hear about 580s cracking anecdotally.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

grack posted:

Everyone should own 40+ expensive, Italian-made pens, AS LONG AS THEY AREN'T DELTAS

I'm working on it.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Does anyone know what kind of converter goes well with the *European* Metropolitan?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Ohh Cult Pens have a newish edition of their mini fountain pen! I got it back when it was silver-grey - it's blue now. A really nice little everyday pen. With the cap posted it's a reasonable size, but I'm a woman with fairly smallish hands so any of you big sasquatches might find it a bit fiddly to use. Still - I really like the silver one I have. Might get this blue one too.

https://www.cultpens.com/i/q/CU71207/cult-pens-mini-fountain-pen-blue

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

endlessmonotony posted:

Does anyone know what kind of converter goes well with the *European* Metropolitan?

Mine (assuming you mean the M2) fits a Pelikan but we had to try 2 at the store since only one of them worked for inexplicable reasons.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

endlessmonotony posted:

Any standard international converter should work fine. I'm using the one i took out of Jinhao x450.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
That's probably a good way to get one since those pens are dirt cheap and their converters are yuge.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

gschmidl posted:

Mine (assuming you mean the M2) fits a Pelikan but we had to try 2 at the store since only one of them worked for inexplicable reasons.

I went with one. Let's hope I'll get one that's good.

The Claptain posted:

Any standard international converter should work fine. I'm using the one i took out of Jinhao x450.

This is definitely not the case. It's weird about converters for some reason.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

endlessmonotony posted:

Yeah, I had a pelikan converter crack in a European Metro, took me a while to figure out why that pen always gave me ink on my fingers. The store I bought it recommended a Diplomat converter with the warning that this too can crack, so I bought two.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

endlessmonotony posted:

Weird, I didn't have any issues with mine. I'll pay attention in the future though, because i should definitely buy more Metros.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
are there any other pens that look techy and sleek, like the muji? i really dig that look

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I'm a fan of the Hong Dian Black Forest series.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Heath posted:

I'm a fan of the Hong Dian Black Forest series.

I actually have one of these in EF. Looks great, feels good, doesn't write all that well.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Mine is a fine and writes very well. They take #5 nibs, so you could always get a replacement.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

i bought it to keep track of things when it was professionally inappropriate to have a phone out

now i work at home so it'd make more sense to give it a proper cleaning some day before i expect a bunch of writing to matter

it's got a satisfying snap top instead of a screw top which is absolutely a plus

/e based on the purple i cleaned out of it i blended Diamine Poppy Red and J. Herbin Bleu Pervanche in it so maybe don't do that

but it's clean and drying now, gimme a day or two and i'll re-evaluate my opinion (notable plus: the generic pilot squeeze cleaner things fit perfectly which was a big help)

stringless fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Oct 22, 2020

grack
Jan 10, 2012

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

are there any other pens that look techy and sleek, like the muji? i really dig that look

Lamy Logo, CP1, ST, Accent, and Pur, and Faber-Castell Neo Slim

Hongdian makes nice pens, but their EF nibs kinda suck. Stick to the fine nibs.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

awesome, ta

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
EF nibs in general are kinda bad. There is a diminishing return on fineness where there just isn't enough ink at the tip to keep it wet unless you cap it immediately. If you pause for a second you'll get a hard start most of the time.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

I'm not sure I fully understand but I'll throw the Pilot Capless LS in the ring because I love it.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

you know what, that explains so much about some of my pens. i really like ef, but some of them seem to dry out no matter what i do. the easiest starters are my metro with the cm nib, and my jinhao x750, with what i suppose is a fine or medium nib?

e: i do have that muji knockoff, it has an ef nib that tends to be a hard starter. but i put some j. herbin vert empire in there and i think it likes that kind

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

The tizzy that fountain pen fans get into over chinese "knockoff" pens drives me crazy. Pilot isn't gonna gently caress you for defending their expired patents, bro.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

i can’t tell if you’re talking about me or not.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Oh, no. Sorry for the confusion, haha.

One of the pen guys I follow on youtube put out a "Why I don't review knockoffs" video recently and its all about how chinese companies "infringe" on the "copyright" of bigger brands. poo poo drives me nuts. Ultimately its just uber nerds trying to protect the value of their shiny trinkets.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Oct 24, 2020

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Sankis posted:

Oh, no. Sorry for the confusion, haha.

One of the pen guys I follow on youtube put out a "Why I don't review knockoffs" video recently and its all about how chinese companies "infringe" on the "copyright" of bigger brands. poo poo drives me nuts. Ultimately its just uber nerds trying to protect the value of their shiny trinkets.

I actually think it's funny as hell, because approximately 100% of the people who post poo poo like this don't understand the what terms "patent" or "copyright" actually mean.

grack fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 24, 2020

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Dug up a parker I bought a while ago for 15bux, seller had no idea what it was but the nib looks cool :toot:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Xun posted:

Dug up a parker I bought a while ago for 15bux, seller had no idea what it was but the nib looks cool :toot:

It's a Parker 45. Pretty classic pen, and the nib will be 14k on that model.

The deformation of the plastic grip is caused by the cap retention mechanism being too tight. It's a pretty common issue with 45s.

Edit:

Yeah, that's good Snorkel, fully extended.

grack fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 26, 2020

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

So when I heard that Visconti was moving to nibs made "in house" I had to get one to see just how big a train wreck it was going to be.

The verdict so far? I lined it up against my other Opera Masters and it's not too bad.

The writing experience out of the box I would call "tight", which is a bit of a let down compared to how gloriously springy the 18 nib was on the Turtle Brown, but on the other hand, grading on the curve of historic Viscontis, it's pretty good. Certainly isn't the absolute paintbrush the nib on my Luna is.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Are the current Curidases ok to buy or do they still have the feed issues?

MystOpportunity
Jun 27, 2004
After I started buying Pilot iro ink, I didn’t understand why you’d buy anything else. Then I bought some Sailor ink, and now don’t understand why you’d buy anything besides Pilot and Sailor.

Cost, obviously, but I don’t write in quite enough volume to make that an issue, even if Sailor seems to charge more than Pilot for waaay less. But I’m completely smitten with Yamadori and Studio 123, they’re both wonderful and 123 has one of the most unique color properties I’ve seen. Sailor makes so many goddamn inks though, any other highlights?

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

MystOpportunity posted:

After I started buying Pilot iro ink, I didn’t understand why you’d buy anything else. Then I bought some Sailor ink, and now don’t understand why you’d buy anything besides Pilot and Sailor.

Cost, obviously, but I don’t write in quite enough volume to make that an issue, even if Sailor seems to charge more than Pilot for waaay less. But I’m completely smitten with Yamadori and Studio 123, they’re both wonderful and 123 has one of the most unique color properties I’ve seen. Sailor makes so many goddamn inks though, any other highlights?

I had one particular pen which wrote too wet, and had it checked out by three top nibmeisters for adjustment to no avail. And then I changed ink from Iroshizuju Aji-sai to Waterman Serenity Blue and the problem was mostly solved. It was just that one pen, though.

Lately I've really enjoyed Sailor 162, which seems to be a different color with each different pen and paper combination.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Iroshizuku are top quality, but not water resistant. I've had entire pages of Tomoe River get washed away from a spill.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

MystOpportunity posted:

Sailor makes so many goddamn inks though

laughs in Diamine, smirks in Noodlers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MystOpportunity
Jun 27, 2004

Remora posted:

laughs in Diamine, smirks in Noodlers

I don’t know, there’s 100 in the Studio line alone, and then they’ve got a few normal sized lines.

And good call on 162- I think that’s the partner to 123 in terms of three-toned possibilities. Might grab that next.