Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just finished Project Zero: Maiden of Black Water, decent entry in the series, not a classic like the first two but on par with the third, got fed up with the combat eventually, especially fighting multiple ghosts, but didn't outstay its welcome too much.
Lol at finishing it unlocking a bunch of extra missions where you play as Ayane from Ninja Gaiden though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I wish Fatal Frame 4&5 were available on a modern console.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

oldpainless posted:

I’m about 90 minutes into Maid of Sker. I’m going to keep playing.

More like oldmaidless.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Hey, thanks for the Discord link! I spent about 15 minutes straight getting booted from public Phasmophobia games because I'm level 10, I guess? Can't wait to start making some money.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I got so salty in Phasmophobia tonight. During a hunt, I ducked into a room across the building from the spawn point and closed the door behind me. The ghost still ended up getting me, which I didn't think was posible. My teammates checked on my body and another hunt started. The ghost tracked them down, beelined at someone, then....knocked over a soda can.

https://clips.twitch.tv/PopularNiceWombatSSSsss

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

Ineffiable posted:

Rule of rose is hitting $600 complete these days.

Kuon is nearly $700.

Haunting ground is $330.

Ps2 horror games are insane.

poo poo, I should have held on to my copy of Rule of Rose. Sold it for $100 a few years ago. Had Haunting Ground too, but no idea what ever happened to it.

This reminds me that I have a black label Silent Hill 1 buried in my closet that I should put on eBay.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Professor Wayne posted:

I got so salty in Phasmophobia tonight. During a hunt, I ducked into a room across the building from the spawn point and closed the door behind me. The ghost still ended up getting me, which I didn't think was posible. My teammates checked on my body and another hunt started. The ghost tracked them down, beelined at someone, then....knocked over a soda can.

https://clips.twitch.tv/PopularNiceWombatSSSsss

That’s hilarious

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Vastarien posted:

poo poo, I should have held on to my copy of Rule of Rose. Sold it for $100 a few years ago. Had Haunting Ground too, but no idea what ever happened to it.

This reminds me that I have a black label Silent Hill 1 buried in my closet that I should put on eBay.

Lol same

I still have Haunting Ground but EU copies don't go for much apparently

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
If you live in the Cincinnati area and can find an open Buybacks, maybe you can find the complete copy of Kuon I sold in a giant box of games to make rent a decade ago. Good luck, gamers.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Haunting Ground is weirdly underrated. It's still one of the better Clocktower-likes around even today (and isn't that a sad statement) but hardly anyone seems to have even heard of it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i don't know how far off it released from clock tower 3 but the parallels are interesting, they have the same kind of fixed-camera run-and-hide gameplay, graphic style, and cutscene direction, but clock tower 3 is almost lethally goofy and haunting ground is uhhhhhh not so much

daniella's scenes are still eerie as hell

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

i don't know how far off it released from clock tower 3 but the parallels are interesting, they have the same kind of fixed-camera run-and-hide gameplay, graphic style, and cutscene direction, but clock tower 3 is almost lethally goofy and haunting ground is uhhhhhh not so much

daniella's scenes are still eerie as hell

sir ill have you know there's plenty of goofiness hidden beneath the uterus thieving and death-rape implications

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Haunting Ground also featured a dog that refused to do what you said, predating The Last Guardian by like 15 years.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Bloody Disgusting has some pretty good things to say about the new Amnesia game: https://bloody-disgusting.com/video-games/3637290/review-stellar-sequel-ten-years-making-amnesia-rebirth-frictionals-best-game-yet/

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Vastarien posted:

Man, I should find my copy of Rule of Rose in my old storage boxes. I could use 600 bucks.

Rule of Rose was an amazing story and a terrible game and I'm still very glad I experienced it.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Reviews are pretty positive in general. It sounds like they've successfully meshed the story-heavy nature of SOMA with the greater emphasis on gameplay of their previous games.

If anyone still reads Rock Paper Shotgun, they also have a positive review but they casually mention a plot point that every other review has been tiptoeing around, so I'd avoid them if you're wanting to go in blind.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I am SHOCKED

https://www.gamesradar.com/pt-wont-be-backwards-compatible-with-the-ps5/

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

1stGear posted:

Reviews are pretty positive in general. It sounds like they've successfully meshed the story-heavy nature of SOMA with the greater emphasis on gameplay of their previous games.

If anyone still reads Rock Paper Shotgun, they also have a positive review but they casually mention a plot point that every other review has been tiptoeing around, so I'd avoid them if you're wanting to go in blind.
Oh that sounds promising, I'm excited about a vidya game for the first time since Doom Eternal. Didn't realize it came out tomorrow! Wish they'd move release dates to Fridays or weekends, I don't know why Tuesday has held on so long when release days are even more arbitrary than ever now anyway.

Preordered it anyway, maybe I'll have time during the evenings to start digging in. Hopefully it's not 20+ hours long.

fake edit: skimming through reviews without actually reading details, one of the reviews pegged it around 9 hours. I can do that.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
Seems like Frictional forgot to include the .exe in the Steam release of Rebirth so no one can play it. In reality, not a big deal since they'll fix it shortly, but boy oh boy are people melting down.

The true horror is gamers.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Abisteen posted:

Seems like Frictional forgot to include the .exe in the Steam release of Rebirth so no one can play it. In reality, not a big deal since they'll fix it shortly, but boy oh boy are people melting down.

The true horror is gamers.

Honestly surprised there hasn't been a wave of negative reviews in the last 30 minutes. Gamers showing a lot of restraint here.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

al-azad posted:

Honestly surprised there hasn't been a wave of negative reviews in the last 30 minutes. Gamers showing a lot of restraint here.

You can't review the game without playing it for a set amount of time. Although that means that 2 of the 3 reviews that are currently up didn't mention they were sponsored.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Forgetting to ship the executable is an incredibly amateurish and sloppy mistake, so they deserve some flak there.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm playing it now and they've certainly turned everything up to 11 since the last Amnesia game lol

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Cardiovorax posted:

Forgetting to ship the executable is an incredibly amateurish and sloppy mistake, so they deserve some flak there.

I'm kind of in awe. Does Steam not have a test environment for developers? Did nobody bother to check if their install package installed?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Basic Chunnel posted:

I'm kind of in awe. Does Steam not have a test environment for developers? Did nobody bother to check if their install package installed?
I know, right? How do you even fail at something this basic?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
yeah, I'll be upset if I bought a game and it's flat out just not there

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's not the first time I've seen it happen and Steam's management tools aren't as idiot proof as other stores.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Cardiovorax posted:

Especially considering that this is their, what, sixth game? Not exactly amateur hour.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm playing it now and they've certainly turned everything up to 11 since the last Amnesia game lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK2fxJRa7_0&t=6714s

I mean don't watch very far obviously but this made me laugh

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

LegoMan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK2fxJRa7_0&t=6714s

I mean don't watch very far obviously but this made me laugh
What am I supposed to be seeing there? I've been watching for about five minutes now and there isn't really anything happening, just reading a bunch of files.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I am also confused as to what is supposed to be funny. Even backed up the clip a bit and it's still the same goofy faces and overreaction to minor jump scares.

Game looks good though, big Frictional fan and looking forward to playing.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 20, 2020

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

I’ve given it a couple hours so far and am I wrong in thinking that the oil in the lantern just drains so drat quickly in this one? I’ve not yet found a big oil supply thing like in the first Amnesia, if they even exist, so a bit annoyed with having to use the really short lived matches.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Get used to it, the game expects you to go long stretches with no light at all

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Cardiovorax posted:

What am I supposed to be seeing there? I've been watching for about five minutes now and there isn't really anything happening, just reading a bunch of files.

weird, when I click the link it goes to where she gets jump scared and starts a string of obscenities

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

YouTube time stamps are weird on SA.

Finished Amnesia: Rebirth though there's a couple of different endings. Decent horror game with a neat idea for a protagonist but I don't think it'll have people arguing about for years like Soma.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
wonder how many assholes are gonna try to use the new amnesia to relive the glory days of fake screaming until you pass out and bust your head open on the table for youtube likes

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Humble bundle has a spooky bundle up

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/thrills-chills

Can anyone vouch for blackout club?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

WombatCyborg posted:

Yeah Rule Of Rose is ridiculously expensive. From an LP, it does look like a good if clunky game though. You sure you aren't thinking of Rumble Roses? That piece of poo poo belongs at that price range.

I bought Rule of Rose new on release and immediately traded it in to GameStop when I beat it. The combat is super bad, and the puzzles and objectives often vague and infuriating. The story is decent I guess? The tone and atmosphere is the best thing about the game which it absolutely nails.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Len posted:

Humble bundle has a spooky bundle up

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/thrills-chills

Can anyone vouch for blackout club?

I've heard it is (was?) repetitive. I'm gonna get that bundle though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Thundercracker posted:

I bought Rule of Rose new on release and immediately traded it in to GameStop when I beat it. The combat is super bad, and the puzzles and objectives often vague and infuriating. The story is decent I guess? The tone and atmosphere is the best thing about the game which it absolutely nails.
Yeah, it's not really a very good game. It's very eerie and atmospheric, but its reputation makes it seem a lot more notable than it really it.