Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Reporting doesn't do poo poo and you're wasting your time if you do it. Report all the bad faith GE posts you want in the GE thread: they will be ignored unless clearly egregious in which case they will be thought about and then probably still ignored. I tried this for months on the assumption that the requests for more reports were earnest, and they aren't. It is a waste of time.

Around the 100th time I saw a leftist poster catch a week probation (or caught one myself) for the exact same poo poo I had reported somebody for just a couple days before, I gave up. Probably others had a similar experience and if those posts aren't getting reported so much anymore, I'm confident that's why. I've said it a couple time already but it bears repeating: the problem is not the forum rules, it is not the forum infrastructure or the lack of it or the lack of means available for users to alert moderators of problems. It is the mods that are the problem.
I really don't know how to phrase this without sounding snide, which is not my intent, but surely if this is such a common problem, you could point to an example of a post that did the "exact same poo poo" as a post from a leftist that caught a week probation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Somfin posted:

This is not a good way to respond to someone who is telling you that they were harassed and ignored by moderation staff.

You know what, you're right. I shouldn't have been so glib.

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

one step forward one step back
I have tried reporting a few posts and got the message that the post was already reported. Additionally there are usually a few IKs/mods reading along in the thread and they're fairly quick when it comes to probing certain posters but will let others go on and on. In the case I mentioned an IK was posting around the same time as said poster, publicly told the poster to clean up their act, and proceeded to do nothing while the guy almost immediately resumed his schtick. The claim that that the mods have no idea about this behavior and have to have it explicitly pointed out to them to do anything doesn't hold water when they're more than able to track and respond to other "problem posters" in the same thread and even in the same discussion taking place. There are other minor cases of double standards but that's been the standout for me.

witchy fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Oct 21, 2020

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I really don't know how to phrase this without sounding snide, which is not my intent, but surely if this is such a common problem, you could point to an example of a post that did the "exact same poo poo" as a post from a leftist that caught a week probation?

Here's a great example that was incredibly funny:

First this insane post was made

Mellow Seas posted:

People who think a poll that shows Biden +10 isn’t actually an indicator that Biden is falling like a rock and Trump is going to own the libs so hard are the ones cherry picking and seeing what they want to see in polls, yes, because one cross tab in one poll shifted 2 points towards Trump.

And if they were capable of pointing to a cross tab like that without their sweaty, heavy breathing betraying how furiously they’re masturbating at the impending ownage the loving libs are gonna get they probably wouldn’t get so much pushback.

I hate you all so loving much

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

it went unprobated (while there were IK's posting concurrently in the thread, Herstory and Greyjoy). A bunch of people got probated for responding to it and going "hahahaha what the gently caress is this??" eg:

Terminal autist posted:

You having another tough day buddy? Dont worry about a handful of people with acutal convictions on a dead forum think, your polls look so good! Also for what its worth no one wants trump to win as much as its hard to get a little excited for the rapist segregationist and his party is actively trying to disenfranchise me and not let me vote for the greens. As always the democrats have access to my vote

punishedkissinger posted:

it really does seem like bias in moderation is only going to get worse as we get closer to the election. Pro-Joes are free to graphically describe their political enemies masturbating, but correctly calling Biden a war-monger get you a warning or a probe.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Generally only for posters the mods dislike.

But don't worry, they might line up a reluctant sixer now that a couple people have complained about it. Or they'll wait it out given the unofficial policy that all discussions are to be considered memory-holed after two days.

Roland Jones posted:

That these posts got probations but not the ones they were replying to is rather telling about the sympathies of the mods here. Both of Mellow Seas's posts were guilty of the same things the responses were, yet nothing has been done about it. It's not even a case of "boo hoo you're so impatient, moderation takes time and we didn't see the bad posts you're mad we didn't do anything about yet", because Mellow Seas's worse posts came first and were quoted in the posts that the mods saw fit to punish, so they were clearly seen, and I know they were reported too because I tried and was informed people beat me to it, and yet Mellow Seas is still insulting everyone else in this thread and accusing us of being secret fascists jerking off to the idea of a Trump victory.

Or is that acceptable now? Can I accuse pro-Joe posters of getting off on the thought of more decorous death camps for immigrants and Yas Queen Kamala Harris's Eternal Police State throwing trans women in men's prisons and denying them healthcare? I have a feeling not, and that I'm going to get probated for even suggesting it, and yet the moderation has clearly okayed the other side of that, so I want an actual answer here. Would that be acceptable, and if not, why was Mellow Seas's post okay but that wouldn't be? I sincerely want the reasoning explained.

This is the problem with D&D's moderation, summed up perfectly. The mods expect one side to be infinitely patient in posting for the edification of the other and will punish even slight infractions, while the other side can, again, literally accuse everyone they disagree with of jerking off at the idea of Trump winning the election and nothing loving happens.

Case in point.

Edit: Fan-loving-tastic I sniped the new page.

Then, after all that, Herstory posts this:

Herstory Begins Now posted:

i didn't probe that post cuz 1) it happened while I was asleep, 2) I figured it was too stupid to actually get annoyed at

as to the 'joe biden caused a war that caused millions of deaths' i quoted that post specifically and not the others that were more engaged with the specifics, such as the one directly above it.

The Yemen famine comes to mind.

And then the original post was probated. Uhhh 20 hours after Herstory's post lmfaooooo. What are you supposed to do, report the thread to people who are reading and responding to the post you wanna report? hahahah

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Tbh Mellow seas does need threadbanned from the ge thread, mainly because he does make himself irrationally angry due to circumstances that do not pertain to the forums themselves. Posting like his is wrong and part of the problem of the forums as a whole right now, even if there are other circumstances for why he is lashing out the way he is

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Tbh Mellow seas does need threadbanned from the ge thread, mainly because he does make himself irrationally angry due to circumstances that do not pertain to the forums themselves. Posting like his is wrong and part of the problem of the forums as a whole right now, even if there are other circumstances for why he is lashing out the way he is

Ahhh, so we make exceptions for Posting While Angry if a poster is experiencing emotional distress. Like, say, a minority confronted with living in a nation run by either Joe "Racial Jungle" Biden or DJT, or does their distress not count?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Unoriginal Name posted:

Ahhh, so we make exceptions for Posting While Angry if a poster is experiencing emotional distress. Like, say, a minority confronted with living in a nation run by either Joe "Racial Jungle" Biden or DJT, or does their distress not count?

I think MS had a close relative die recently to covid, I remember them posting something about it.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

UCS Hellmaker posted:

I mean, I’m not going to lie, I’ve been going through poo poo, and I made a few posts in that thread that we’re intentionally bad rather than just regular-communication-failure bad. FOS suggested in my last probe that I “should not” post in the thread; given the posts I had made that wasn’t terrible advice. I took a few weeks off from posting in D&D at all, but I’ve been dealing with my mental health and life-circumstance issues and I would like to keep posting, if the forum will allow it.

I’m sure I’ll still gently caress up sometimes, like most of us do, and the mods can take whatever action they think is appropriate. And any more bad times in the GE thread would absolutely justify a thread ban, given that I’ve received escalating warnings there.

I don’t want to just yammer on about myself, but I got very directly called out, so, you know.

Anyway, with the post that Lemming quoted above, I remember being honestly pretty surprised at how long it took to get probed for it. And I think it’s reasonable to question the IKs and mods who let it pass. But, like, poo poo, I did get probated for it, and my post being bad doesn’t mean those probed responses were any good.

And whatever mod gave me the tag, it’s hilarious and I love it and it’s been a good reminder to take things here less seriously.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Mellow Seas posted:

And whatever mod gave me the tag, it’s hilarious and I love it and it’s been a good reminder to take things here less seriously.

If you posted in the NoJoe toxx thread in CSPAM, you're automatically "in" and got the tag because of that.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Mellow Seas posted:

I don’t want to just yammer on about myself, but I got very directly called out, so, you know.

I don't think they were calling you out, just pointing out that Herstory and Main Painframe seem to be operating with different rules so the outcome of your report can change wildly depending on the mod or IK that reads it

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Somfin posted:

If you posted in the NoJoe toxx thread in CSPAM, you're automatically "in" and got the tag because of that.

Never posted there! I don’t think I’ve ever made a single post in CSPAM, actually.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020
Yeah, that situation was poo poo. How tf you gonna probe 5 responders BEFORE the original out of line post?

Also, hope things are doing better, MS.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Lemming posted:

And then the original post was probated. Uhhh 20 hours after Herstory's post lmfaooooo. What are you supposed to do, report the thread to people who are reading and responding to the post you wanna report? hahahah

Fyi, Iks don't get reports, so it's not that gjb or I are ever ignoring reports, we just have zero access to them and our coverage is limited to posts that we read closely.

Also with that post, I'd been an ik for a few days at that point and I think had hoped that people roundly condemning it would be enough censure. If I was reading that now, yeah I'd have responded differently to it.

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Reporting doesn't do poo poo and you're wasting your time if you do it. Report all the bad faith GE posts you want in the GE thread: they will be ignored unless clearly egregious in which case they will be thought about and then probably still ignored. I tried this for months on the assumption that the requests for more reports were earnest, and they aren't. It is a waste of time.

Around the 100th time I saw a leftist poster catch a week probation (or caught one myself) for the exact same poo poo I had reported somebody for just a couple days before, I gave up. Probably others had a similar experience and if those posts aren't getting reported so much anymore, I'm confident that's why. I've said it a couple time already but it bears repeating: the problem is not the forum rules, it is not the forum infrastructure or the lack of it or the lack of means available for users to alert moderators of problems. It is the mods that are the problem.

Hey I meant to quote this before the edit, but editing it in now: as IKs we don't have access to the report queue so I can promise that we're not ignoring reports, we just don't see them. Generally, if you see something really out of line that hasn't been seen by a mod/ik yet and you see me actively posting, you can pm me a link and I'll take a look.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 21, 2020

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Maybe this suggestion fits QCS better but since it's being talked about in here, maybe it would be a good idea when reporting posts for the report page to note that IKs can't see reports? That seems like it'd be a beneficial tidbit for folks to see there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Or perhaps IKs should see reports for their threads? I realise it is probably not a forums feature but it really should be.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

I don't get the point of IKs, actually, except as a probationary thing maybe. Just make someone a mod, or don't.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Lemming already did this but as I was reading this post it occurred to me that when we have threads like this, in QCS or wherever else, any kind of claim that goes against the enforced zeitgeist of "everything's fine and we just have to trim some things around the edges" and especially any claim that the actions of admins and mods are anything less than at least well-intentioned at a minimum, and more likely actually quite effective and cool and very, very good - it's always met with several posts like this. It rarely goes in the other direction either, by which I mean: I don't think I really rely on this "tactic" (and it does feel like a tactic), and I don't recall a lot of people with grievances, going ahead and asking people defending the mods to post examples of why this or that action was justified. (It does happen, and when it does it's usually about a particular poster, and the answer is almost always "look at their rap sheet" as opposed to posting anything in the thread - but even this is more rare than going the other way.)

So like, I guess going forward in this thread and anywhere else, I will provide receipts if I feel like it? But I'm not going to feel bad if I don't, and I'm not going to be browbeaten into providing them (you're not doing this, fwiw, but it does happen where it's like "posts receipts or you're full of poo poo"). Because the thing is: this isn't a court of law. This isn't even a kangaroo court. If enough people agree with me, that will be borne out in the discussion, and if not enough people agree with me, then posting receipts isn't going to matter anyway. And, also fwiw, I can't recall a single instance of like posting the evidence of some moderator malpractice and then a bunch of people flip around their opinions. I'm sure it does happen, but it's not the norm - usually you don't hear from the people who asked again, or they just give narrow point-by-point justifications and ignore the pattern, etc. I think detailed evidence-driven posts about this sort of stuff can change opinions even if they usually don't, and they're also worth it on the basis of setting the record straight, but really the thing that's going to get people to come around on this the most, is to witness it for themselves, and figure it out for themselves, and then when we have a thread in here or in QCS, to read the posts and figure out that "oh look, a lot of people feel the same way, actually." I think that is a lot more powerful.

All of which is a pretty long-winded way of saying that, if you've been reading my posts in this thread and come away thinking "hmmm I'm pretty skeptical about all this I think I need to see a bunch of examples" (and especially if someone posts the examples and you never engage after that :) ) then you're not really who those posts were for, mainly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think if you are going to have moderators they should be trusted by the people they are moderating and I think that is more likely to be the case on a per-thread basis, so limiting the extent of their power to threads they have the consent of the posters to moderate makes sense. Ideally every thread would have an IK but obviously that is logistically absurd so IKs for major threads doing the majority of the moderating and moderators being there to pick up any random issues would be preferable, I think.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I asked for examples because I don't read the GE thread, and I know there's a lot of acrimony in and around it, so I wasn't inclined to take anyone (on either "side") at their word when they said that the mods behave a certain way there. Again, I'm really not trying to be an rear end, but when you use language like this:

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Reporting doesn't do poo poo and you're wasting your time if you do it... Around the 100th time I saw a leftist poster catch a week probation (or caught one myself) for the exact same poo poo I had reported somebody for just a couple days before, I gave up.
... then I'm gonna be a little skeptical of your claim and ask you to back it up. You have to admit that that's pretty hyperbolic language, especially coming on the heels of you accusing the mods as a group of holding grudges against their Posting Enemies (jfc I hate that term) and protecting their friends.

You're right that in the end me asking for receipts and/or you providing them doesn't mean poo poo, and not every claim in this thread needs to have them. But if we're going to have a productive discussion about what the mods are doing right and wrong, we need to discuss what they're actually doing, not what people feel like they're doing. And receipts are an important part of making sure we're talking about the first and not the second.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I'm gonna be a little skeptical of your claim and ask you to back it up.
That's fair, and for someone who has no direct experience with any of this I think there is some value. My point is that for people who already have an opinion on this, one way or another, receipts don't really do much. Like I do not expect that anything I can post in this thread is going to change 700B's mind. I know they seem earnest that they want evidence of harassment, but I'm confident that the burden of proof they would require to actually come around on it, is so high, that no one could ever reasonably meet it. But maybe, for people already thinking along the same lines I am, my posts might provide some validation, and maybe even some clarity. Likewise, you're not really going to be able to quote a bunch of YMB posts and make me change my mind that the forum ban (or any of the other poo poo) was warranted - and that's because I've read enough of the GE thread and enough dialogues with YMB and other posters, to have already formed the opinion that most of his "shitposts" are actually a pretty reasonable reaction to the literal god-damned insanity posted daily in that shitheap of a thread. So even a very well-sourced post trying indict him is just going to come across to me as cherry-picked. And so it goes, I imagine, for anything like that, that I post. And that's why I think that receipts like that are kind of useless when everyone has formed their opinion already, and that the real purpose of this kind of discussion is to kind of check the temperature of the forum, and figure out who stands where, and maybe provide a little extra clarity around the edges for people.

(None of this includes, by the way, posts along the line of "Oh so-and-so is a Nazi, literally. Didn't you know? Here are some examples of him posting Nazi poo poo." That is a different matter.)

OwlFancier posted:

I think if you are going to have moderators they should be trusted by the people they are moderating and I think that is more likely to be the case on a per-thread basis, so limiting the extent of their power to threads they have the consent of the posters to moderate makes sense. Ideally every thread would have an IK but obviously that is logistically absurd so IKs for major threads doing the majority of the moderating and moderators being there to pick up any random issues would be preferable, I think.
Yeah I get that I just don't get like the technical distinction and why we bother with it. IKs already have buttons in every thread they're just not supposed to use them anywhere else, so why not just make them mods with the same understanding of it only applying to one thread, and then they can read reports and poo poo :shrug: I've always found it weird.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
It's going to sound weird, seeing as I have probated him frequently (though I discarded easily 75% of the reports about him), but the truth is that I really like YMB, and will miss a lot of his posts. I've been told repeatedly by users, other mods, hell even admins that I gave him too much leeway, but he genuinely brought a cutting wit and eloquence that I thought was a valuable part of the subforum. Sometimes he went too far, but from conversations with him I think he understood that he frequently danced right on the line though, and generally took probations in stride. I acceded to the forum ban because I felt that I I wasn't making rational decisions where he was concerned because I was a fan of his posting style. I hope that he finds a new home in CSPAM without missing a beat.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

fool of sound posted:

It's going to sound weird, seeing as I have probated him frequently (though I discarded easily 75% of the reports about him), but the truth is that I really like YMB, and will miss a lot of his posts. I've been told repeatedly by users, other mods, hell even admins that I gave him too much leeway, but he genuinely brought a cutting wit and eloquence that I thought was a valuable part of the subforum. Sometimes he went too far, but from conversations with him I think he understood that he frequently danced right on the line though, and generally took probations in stride. I acceded to the forum ban because I felt that I I wasn't making rational decisions where he was concerned because I was a fan of his posting style. I hope that he finds a new home in CSPAM without missing a beat.

Setting aside specific critiques of YMB's posting, is "a cutting wit and eloquence" what you want for D&D?

The ideal of a "cutting wit" is someone who can shut down discussion, completely own their interlocutor, and play to the audience all at once with a perfect bon mot. That can be hilarious, but as William Buckley showed the world, trying to discuss serious issues across ideological boundaries and doing what we can to make the world a better place actually just gets in the way of dropping witty burns on people who are dumb enough to genuinely care about things.

YMB isn't Buckley for a lot of reasons, but they - along with just about every other "cutting wit" out there - share a sneering dismissal for the idea of good-faith discussion with people who don't think the way they do. That can be really funny when it's done well! Any human being who wears their ideals on their sleeve is going to have a bunch of highly mockable contradictions and compromises on display, and pointing those out can be a hilarious way to shut them down. In the end, though, you have to choose: do you want people sniping at each other with hilarious cutting jokes, or do you want people trying to engage earnestly, maybe even doing mockable things sometimes, in an environment where they don't have to keep their guard up about being relentlessly mocked with scorching hot takes?

e:
tl;dr: you can have a forum with hilarious cutting wit, or you can have a forum with genuine discussion, but you can't have both

Space Gopher fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 21, 2020

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

fool of sound posted:

Can you elaborate on the bolded part a little bit please? To me, this reads as "He knew he was posting like an rear end in a top hat", and I'm struggling to understand how that's supposed to be something desirable at all.

Edit:

quote:

You also tried to engage with a poster who essentially said homeless people are worthless and don't deserve help. As if he could explain himself more clearly and that would make his stance better.

Ehh, Not gonna lie, I would probably have taken the same decision there. Give them a window of opportunity to acknowledge that what they said is bad and allow them to walk it back, however unlikely it is to happen, if only because that encourages effort posts that tear down the bad position for the sake of the lurkers.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 21, 2020

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

fool of sound posted:

You also tried to engage with a poster who essentially said homeless people are worthless and don't deserve help. As if he could explain himself more clearly and that would make his stance better.

Buddy, you are part of the problem and I think you need to step down as a mod.

Aramis posted:

Edit:
Ehh, Not gonna lie, I would probably have taken the same decision there. Give them a window of opportunity to acknowledge that what they said is bad and allow them to walk it back, however unlikely it is to happen, if only because that encourages effort posts that tear down the bad position for the sake of the lurkers.

I get that and agree to some extent, but before this point, the poster was already well known for making those kind of comments and just disappearing or never addressing anyone else's responses.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Oct 21, 2020

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

fool of sound posted:

So you ignored all the reports about a poster who was super aggro all the drat time towards everyone in a thread. A poster who never posted in good faith and admitted he was aware of how he was an rear end in a top hat...just what? What even is this horseshit? When literally everyone is telling you that you give a poster too much leeway, maybe you should listen?

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

I hope FOS's post at least shows that the mods wern't biased against FOS but that at least one was biased for him... and when even the mod who appreciates your posting style goes "yea, probably enough is enough" that's a sign you've exhausted any chances you might get.

Seven Hundred Bee fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 21, 2020

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

friendbot2000 posted:

So you ignored all the reports about a poster who was super aggro all the drat time towards everyone in a thread. A poster who never posted in good faith and admitted he was aware of how he was an rear end in a top hat...just what? What even is this horseshit? When literally everyone is telling you that you give a poster too much leeway, maybe you should listen?

Actually, FOS indicated he was a "fan of his posting style" and therefore reluctant to punish. Apparently YMB lasted as long as he did because he was a tremendous rear end in a top hat and constantly disruptive. No wonder D&D has so many folks raging at one another if that's the behavior that's being encouraged by the mods.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

fool of sound posted:

Did you ever stop to consider that having a poster who used this forum and it’s members as their personal speed bag might be chasing off others who even if flawed were contributing to this forum?

Is there anyone else who is under similar protection by you or other mods?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

When you have to probe someone literally dozens and dozens of times for the same behavior, it's probably a bad sign if your response is like "I admire his tenacity in ignoring me!"

Sure he shits up every thread, but you gotta hand it to him, he's got verve.

eke out fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 21, 2020

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
No, I thought he posted like an rear end in a top hat a lot of the time but that the way he went about it still was a net positive. "Jokes and sarcasm are allowed, on the subjective grounds that they are funny". When the subject of forum banning him came up again, I decided to support whatever the other decided, because my own perspective was both in the minority and clearly based on my own political and comedic preferences and was unfair.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

sounds like we should carefully force each mod to explain their particular 'comedic tastes' in some sort of comedy inquisition, perhaps by an elaborate instrument wherein they rate stand up comedy routines and are given a 'comedy' score on a spectrum? from 'harmony korine on david letterman' to 'paul blart mall cop'. just some thoughts, hopefully another poster can flesh this out more.

(FWIW: while I appreciate you acknowledging that you were biased in this instance, its probably good for mods in general not to make decisions on probations for posters they personally are a fan of - which hopefully will be easier if D&D gets more mods/IKs)

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Seems like if someone is getting away with something for years because it's considered funny and appreciated they should get a clear warning that this has explicitly changed before being forum banned rather than it being subject to whichever random mod changed their opinion on what counts as being a funny rear end in a top hat.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Harold Fjord posted:

Seems like if someone is getting away with something for years because it's considered funny and appreciated they should get a warning that this has explicitly changed before being forum banned rather than it being subject to whichever random mod changed their opinion on what counts as being a funny rear end in a top hat

On paper, that's what probations are. Or am I off-base here?

The fact that YMB seemingly considered regular probations to be an inherent consequence of their posting style, and not a clear signal that said posting style needs to change, is evidence that there is something fundamentally off in either the way probations are being handed out or how they are interpreted by the community.

I'm taking about real probations here, not comedy 6ers, obviously.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 21, 2020

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Sixers aren't at all serious and we can't talk about them, then (0)* however many sixers is still 0.
He got some longer ones, but the apparent senior mod is here admitting to inconsistent enforcement, so this still all seems pretty random and arbitrary.

if we're no longer encouraging people to be lovely because it's funny that needs to be an explicit rule change. then we might also have to take a second look at how people are abusing conservatives and libertarians. I know we don't want to do that but if we don't that just leaves us back to square one regarding viewpoint discrimination

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 21, 2020

rko
Jul 12, 2017
Dang, you all sure turn on the teacher you just were tattling to quick, huh?

I want to cosign MS DOS’ general take, but with the proviso that I don’t think there’s some secret group of Hypothetically Optimal Moderators we just don’t have access to or something, nor do I think we see the results of conscious/active bias. MPF probably didn’t ban YMB while actively giggling to himself in villainous fashion—his patience was presumably worn down after the endless complaining of the folks who can’t even stand hearing a mod was nice to this guy who made fun of their posts.

I think being a mod probably sucks poo poo, which is why I try not to get all AMAB. Ramping is ostensibly a way to make problems for mods go away without every step in the process getting litigated—but that’s wishful thinking. A more ideologically diverse and larger group of mods, making transparent decisions and an active, public effort to do right by the community, will go a long way.

But I also think the mods should free YMB immediately so maybe my opinions won’t count for much!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Harold Fjord posted:

Sixers aren't at all serious and we can't talk about them, then (0)* however many sixers is still 0.
He got some longer ones, but the apparent senior mod is here admitting to inconsistent enforcement, so this still all seems pretty random and arbitrary.

if we're no longer encouraging people to be lovely because it's funny that needs to be an explicit rule change. then we might also have to take a second look at how people are abusing conservatives and libertarians. I know we don't want to do that but if we don't that just leaves us back to square one regarding viewpoint discrimination

“Don’t be a complete aggro rear end in a top hat in every one of your posts” shouldn’t have to be explained.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Solkanar512 posted:

“Don’t be a complete aggro rear end in a top hat in every one of your posts” shouldn’t have to be explained.

Indeed, very interesting.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
You guys can’t simultaneously argue for more transparency and poo poo all over a post explaining a mod’s thought process.

I can’t believe I’m forced into defending D&D mods, but that’s not tenable and, frankly, garbage.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

i just think its very funny that the narrative was "YMB was only subforum banned because of a cabal of mods with ideological grudges against him because he was a leftist and a clique of posters who couldn't stand his cunning posting destroying their hugboxes" and one of the mods immediately posted and said they were actually biased in favor of YMB because they thought he was funny and kept him around because of this despite other admin/mod/ik complaints.

modding in the comedy way D&D style.

i am not sure why FOS would make this post but it is good he is being 100% transparent. ideally personal comedic tastes won't be a moderating standard, but i don't know how you get around it, so at least its good to be honest about it.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

fool of sound posted:

You really ought to just de-mod yourself. This here is beyond parody. When added on to your thinking maybe we should reason with and try to teach the poster that was 100% confident the homeless no longer count as people, it demonstrates a woeful lack of awareness on your part, and frankly it makes some of the literal absence of good modding on this forum completely understandable. Sorry guys, I find the bad faith rear end in a top hat amusing, you'll just need to deal with it. Jesus Christ, dude.

Step down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

fool of sound posted:

I mean if you're going to keep someone around who was probated dozens of times for the exact same thing just because it amused you then you might as well just drop the act. Mods should take a step back and let us fun post 😌. No more mods no more IKs :)