Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Tommy the Newt posted:

Yeah, now you mention it the memories of how crap and disappointing the game was are flooding back and I don't see how even the fanciest and smoothest VR experience would fix that. I basically always enjoyed Skyrim despite its flaws, which is probably important.

In rpgs I always roleplay as a mopey dad searching for his boring son, so in many ways fallout 4 was a dream come true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Also for jumping up in difficulty on Beat Saber one thing I’ll recommend is slowing down the song to like 80% or slower to get you used to the beats and hand flow. It’s helped me progress through some otherwise tricky E+ tracks that are hard to follow and up just have to trust your brain to let your wrist do their thing.

Looking at you, Crystalized. I will loving beat you some day.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
After I got my quest 2 I installed FO4VR again to try it out again after having played it for about 20-30 hours at release. It’s still just as janky as back then and dependent on mods to make it work. I no longer have it installed.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

am i right that you basically cant play phasmaphobia on the quest 2 because the mic doesnt work over link?
its got this horrible little microstutter on VD

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I got virtual desktop working wirelessly but it only works on my steam games. When I try to play Lone Echo (oculus) it doesn't work. I try to open it via the Oculus software on my desktop (by clicking on it in virtual desktop). Do I need to do something differently for PC Oculus games?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Communist Thoughts posted:

am i right that you basically cant play phasmaphobia on the quest 2 because the mic doesnt work over link?

I used my mic over discord using link while playing some DCS the other night, or do you mean the mic doesn’t work over link in that specific game?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

blue squares posted:

I got virtual desktop working wirelessly but it only works on my steam games. When I try to play Lone Echo (oculus) it doesn't work. I try to open it via the Oculus software on my desktop (by clicking on it in virtual desktop). Do I need to do something differently for PC Oculus games?

Oculus games need to be started from the games tab in the virtual desktop menu screen (hit the hamburger button on your left controller to bring up the menu)

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

GutBomb posted:

Oculus games need to be started from the games tab in the virtual desktop menu screen (hit the hamburger button on your left controller to bring up the menu)

Oh poo poo I remember that now. Thank you!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I’m playing it with a friend who uses a quest 2 over link and his chat works fine.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

I could never get my mic to work over link with my OG Quest. But I haven't used a cord to play PCVR in months, so I'm not sure if it was ever fixed. I just use a bluetooth mic that can attach to my HMD.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

i gotta say so far everything other than the lack of sensors and a small increase in clarity is worse in the quest 2 than my handmedown OG rift

big disappointment so far, its even less comfortable some how

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

At this point I’m honestly glad I just kept my Rift S tbh.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Ok, some additional Q2 PCVR stuff:

In virtual Desktop, enabling Increase Video Nominal Range and setting the brightness to ~95 helped a ton. It makes the video much less washed out. I also jammed up bitrate since it seemed like I had a lot of headroom there.

In SteamVR I disabled supersampling, that seemed to help both perf and stuttering without really hurting quality. Doing this with 90Hz Refresh that games look real good.

I cannot get my oculus games running in VD or Link, its like horrible stuttering.

And in general, Link performance blows. I'd honestly return the Q2 if the Virtual Desktop wasn't as good as it's been. The 90Hz + additional bitrate update will hopefully change that, but right now I really don't see any reason to play any games over link.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Lockback posted:

Ok, some additional Q2 PCVR stuff:

In virtual Desktop, enabling Increase Video Nominal Range and setting the brightness to ~95 helped a ton. It makes the video much less washed out. I also jammed up bitrate since it seemed like I had a lot of headroom there.

In SteamVR I disabled supersampling, that seemed to help both perf and stuttering without really hurting quality. Doing this with 90Hz Refresh that games look real good.

I cannot get my oculus games running in VD or Link, its like horrible stuttering.

And in general, Link performance blows. I'd honestly return the Q2 if the Virtual Desktop wasn't as good as it's been. The 90Hz + additional bitrate update will hopefully change that, but right now I really don't see any reason to play any games over link.

Yeah, I've been really happy with the ability to just throw the headset on and go with stuff like Pistol Whip running natively on it, but the Link implementation is still rough. It's pretty temperamental in terms of actually booting correctly and I'm getting some annoying hitching, though it may partly be my somewhat low-end-of-adequate computer trying to keep up with the higher resolution. Hopefully they can iron out some of the issues over time or just integrate the wireless functionality, cowards

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Squashing Machine posted:

Yeah, I've been really happy with the ability to just throw the headset on and go with stuff like Pistol Whip running natively on it, but the Link implementation is still rough. It's pretty temperamental in terms of actually booting correctly and I'm getting some annoying hitching, though it may partly be my somewhat low-end-of-adequate computer trying to keep up with the higher resolution. Hopefully they can iron out some of the issues over time or just integrate the wireless functionality, cowards

Yeah, native titles work well but they are all geared toward the Q1. Better res, sure, but otherwise look basically the same.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010

EbolaIvory posted:

Depends. Hard to expert really isn't a giant leap if its actually just a standard ost jump so stuff made with beat sage actually might be fine for you.

Joetastic tends to be pretty reasonable with difficulty. Majorpickle was a thing, no idea if they still map or not. I'll be honest, I haven't played a "expert" map in over 12 months. Anything I play now would probably fall into E+ even if its not labeled that.

Id honestly tell you to work on whatever OST songs you don't hate. As much as I dislike the OST in general, itll get you up to speed with E+ life and the stuff before E+ isn't totally awful.

Gotcha. I'll look 'em up. I don't 100% remember if the custom ones I picked up at first were E or E+ before realizing I should find some that also have Hard as a fallback. I was working through the campaign until the requirements got weird like only moving so much or getting more than x misses/bad hits.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Also for jumping up in difficulty on Beat Saber one thing I’ll recommend is slowing down the song to like 80% or slower to get you used to the beats and hand flow. It’s helped me progress through some otherwise tricky E+ tracks that are hard to follow and up just have to trust your brain to let your wrist do their thing.

Looking at you, Crystalized. I will loving beat you some day.

Slowing them down is a good idea. I think the other thing I need to remember is to take it easy on my body at first; just hitting 4 hours in game.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Is virtual desktop wireless only, or does it function wired as well, like Link? My wireless situation is pretty dismal, but if I could improve wired play that might sway me to pick it up.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
I got wireless setup with my Q2 and virtual desktop but there was still noticable latency in Beat Saber. Link with a cheap Amazon usb c cable didn't work that well so I decided to yolo and get the official link cable plugged into the USB C port of my 2080 and it seems flawless and a big step up over my OG Rift. My only issue is Guardian walls are too obvious since my play space is small. Before I would turn the walls off but that does not seem to be an option on the quest. Any way around that?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
You should be able to disable your guardian if you turn on developer mode.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

its so weird that link is a beta option

is it just that you can't move all that data fast enough across a usb-c? i wanna know if this is potentially fixeable or not. I'm kinda guessing not since the quest 1 has been out for a while.

also looking into it in a lot of real ways the CV1 is still the best oculus which is really bizarre

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

is it just that you can't move all that data fast enough across a usb-c? i wanna know if this is potentially fixeable or not. I'm kinda guessing not since the quest 1 has been out for a while.

also looking into it in a lot of real ways the CV1 is still the best oculus which is really bizarre

Depends on what your issue is. By default the image is gonna be a little blurry, but you can change it to favor clarity over performance. Depending on usb 2.0/3.0 and what port you use, maybe some stuff gets finicky there. It's also a higher resolution, so it'll be more taxing to render.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

It was basically at the same price point as the Index initially which has not been the case since.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

what is considered the best headset for PC gaming in terms of value? is it just the rift S or are there others.

to me it kinda seems like both valve and oculus are blowing it. (at least in terms of what i want - an affordable VR hat for PC that isn't a huge pain to use)
the index is super expensive and also seems impossible to actually buy and still has sensors
the quest has this nice freeing feel, untethered from sensors but is a major step backwards away from a pc gaming device and towards a closed ecosystem that still ultimately only has superhot and beatsaber on it.

the rift sold me on vr so i was hyped to see how the technology had come along since so i'm pretty gutted and thinking of returning the Q2.
i really wanted to play phasmaphobia with my partner in VR but it was SUCH a pain just setting it up for myself and the performance was bad on link and VD. its not my specs cause squadron runs pretty fine on link and the game runs fine on my CV1

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Zet posted:

Gotcha. I'll look 'em up. I don't 100% remember if the custom ones I picked up at first were E or E+ before realizing I should find some that also have Hard as a fallback. I was working through the campaign until the requirements got weird like only moving so much or getting more than x misses/bad hits.

Slowing them down is a good idea. I think the other thing I need to remember is to take it easy on my body at first; just hitting 4 hours in game.

poo poo, Speed up the ones that are "too easy" now. Speeding things up is fun. Used to do "fast fridays' and played everything at a min of 125%. 150% standard. Good times and itll revive old boring poo poo if its mapped well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

what is considered the best headset for PC gaming in terms of value? is it just the rift S or are there others.

to me it kinda seems like both valve and oculus are blowing it. (at least in terms of what i want - an affordable VR hat for PC that isn't a huge pain to use)
the index is super expensive and also seems impossible to actually buy and still has sensors
the quest has this nice freeing feel, untethered from sensors but is a major step backwards away from a pc gaming device and towards a closed ecosystem that still ultimately only has superhot and beatsaber on it.

Lighthouses aren't some outdated thing to fear and avoid. Inside-out tracking is a tradeoff of "merely" good tracking so long as you keep your controllers in front of you. Lighthouses just sit out of the way at the edge of your playspace and spit infrared light to provide an external reference for more accurate tracking because your controllers are detectable 100% of the time. All they need is a wall outlet for power and you can ignore them forever while individually upgrading your controllers or HMD as part of a larger ecosystem.

Your best bet for an economic VR headset is gonna be the Quest 2 if you have a Facebook account. It'll tether to a PC, be cheaper than a Quest, and have a pretty drat good display for what you're paying. There's really zero reason to look at a Rift S now.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The HP Reverb G2 looks to be the successor of the Rift S. Won't use sensors (which I agree are not a bad thing at all), but looks to be a better PCVR headset.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

It's not a true walled garden. When you connect the quest to your desktop with the cable you can play games from Steam, Epic, Origin, or wherever without modification required. You can also stream those games wirelessly using virtual desktop. Games or apps that are not on a storefront can also be sideloaded.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm having a lot of fun with the Quest 2. Never had a VR setup before so I have nothing to compare it to though. But as a first timer this poo poo is super cool.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

holy poo poo this comment

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Janky setups with weird workarounds, games that are hidden gems and roughly cut, and vendors calling you slurs for not liking their products. VR is the best 90s gaming cosplay. I feel like I'm 17 again.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Lockback posted:

Yeah, I am on another floor entirely from my router and the latency is on the order of 16ms. If you have a nice router (and you should splurge on a nice router) then Virtual Desktop works really well.

That's a really great latency even with an optimal setup. Can you talk a little bit more about any optimizations you did to get there? What kind of router are you running etc?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Whats the best melee combat game available on the Quest 2?

Apex Construct, Journey of the Gods, In Death Unchained, Until You Fall, Sairento, Swords of Gargantua, Elven Assassin?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

ChocNitty posted:

Whats the best melee combat game available on the Quest 2?

Apex Construct, Journey of the Gods, In Death Unchained, Until You Fall, Sairento, Swords of Gargantua, Elven Assassin?

Thrill of the Fight. Enjoy the workout!

Sairento is a blast, but its melee combat is outdated "wiggle your hand on the thing" crap. You play Sairento to run on walls and flip through the air while dunking on people with a hail of bullets.

Swords of Gargantua is one of those games you where think the tutorial shows promise and you're looking forward to the game, and then you realize you've been playing all the game has to offer and it just never really starts.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I'm trying to launch American Truck Simulator in VR, the guides said to go into steam and set it to be the newest "Oculus/Vive 1.38" in the beta section, and to set the launch flag to "-openvr"

But when I launch it, I'm in some kind of theater mode in Steam VR that seems intended for playing 2D games. My real monitor has it fullscreened in 2D.. What did I mess up?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Zero VGS posted:

I'm trying to launch American Truck Simulator in VR, the guides said to go into steam and set it to be the newest "Oculus/Vive 1.38" in the beta section, and to set the launch flag to "-openvr"

But when I launch it, I'm in some kind of theater mode in Steam VR that seems intended for playing 2D games. My real monitor has it fullscreened in 2D.. What did I mess up?

Try pressing F11 to switch it to your headset

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shine posted:

Thrill of the Fight. Enjoy the workout!

Sairento is a blast, but its melee combat is outdated "wiggle your hand on the thing" crap. You play Sairento to run on walls and flip through the air while dunking on people with a hail of bullets.

The Kusarigama is still fun at least (The sickle-and-chain weapon). Flick your wrists and watch everything around you turn into meat confetti :gibs:.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Well well welly well well

https://www.roadtovr.com/unknown-htc-vive-headset-fcc-filings/

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Oh boy, who's ready for bad controllers and tracking that doesn't work right for about 6 updates?

If it's a steamquest I'll buy it anyway.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj3RdeJUJos

Cool R&D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Great Beer posted:

If it's a steamquest I'll buy it anyway.

What would even be a 'steamquest' ?? Just a purely wireless streaming android device? Obviously you won't be running the Steam software on the device.