Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Well except the Tau. No one's gonna be afraid of the loving Tau. I mean, lol.

. . .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Hunt11 posted:

Stormboys come in two forms. Those who strap rockets to their backs and those who believe they are masters of stealth. To the surprise of no one they suck at stealth but no one sees it coming so they can still surprise those they come up against.

Kommandos are legitimately great at stealth, although an unknown number of their exploits may actually be false flags committed by the Inquisition.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

White Coke posted:

Kommandos are legitimately great at stealth

That's because they paint themselves purple.

Why?

You ever seen a purple Ork?

Didn't think so!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Are purple Orks still a thing? Because a purple Stormboy squad sounds terrifying

Now that we've confirmed Spikey Boys, I feel like mentioning that Chaos always felt underdeveloped to me, mechanics wise in every game. I know that they're essentially just Space Marines, but with magic and high level monsters, but still, every other faction feels so unique except Chaos

Gothsheep posted:

Something someone told me a long time ago is that, if you found a problem in the game, then 99% chance that the QA found it too. Just because QA finds something doesn't mean the design team actually fixes it.

Don't blame QA for not finding it, blame project management and engineering for not fixing it.

I know that you're right, especially after learning about Drake of the 99 Dragons' development. Apparently their QA team stopped flagging certain things after a while because they knew their bugs would never be addressed and that's a big part of why that game is a wreck

However, it's hard to not mentally conflate QA with QC when a steamer lands in your lap

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Not going to lie when someone mentioned the mod that fixes the building persistence issue to be back to Dark Crusade style I popped my eyebrows and hope filled my soul. But on the playtesting side it is worth noting that Iron Lore, the ones behind the expansion, were in dire financial straits at the time and I think money ran out right as they got to releasing Soulstorm. QA might have suffered somewhat. They definitely shut down afterwards because they couldn't get any financial injections for any further projects.

Add on their publishers' poor fortunes at the time. THQ was starting their slide into eventual bankruptcy and needed cash to fund their shovelware and garbage tablet. Sega was really hurting for money after loving up most of their releases from 04-09. Soulstorm needed to come out, and it needed to come out ASAP. It's a wonder that the new faction works as well as it does and the new class of units don't glitch out more often

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

One thing to note with Dreadnaughts is that when they are killed, the chapter recovers the frame and slots the next crippled marine into it. IT is a very high honor as well.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

The Door Frame posted:

Add on their publishers' poor fortunes at the time. THQ was starting their slide into eventual bankruptcy and needed cash to fund their shovelware and garbage tablet. Sega was really hurting for money after loving up most of their releases from 04-09. Soulstorm needed to come out, and it needed to come out ASAP. It's a wonder that the new faction works as well as it does and the new class of units don't glitch out more often

THQ going out of business due to its dumb tablet didn't happen until about 2012, after both Dawn of War 2 and Space Marine had come out, and SEGA acquired all that stuff afterwards when THQ's splashdown finished around 2013. Soulstorm was just an unfortunate outsource to a company that was trying to stay afloat at the time through the extra work while trying to get their own projects off the ground but sadly time was not on their side, and in this case time was money and they couldn't afford it, which yeah I should have been more specific about in regards to QA versus QC. Sometimes you literally just can't afford to pay to fix something cause then paychecks start bouncing after a certain point in the project.

AtomikKrab posted:

One thing to note with Dreadnaughts is that when they are killed, the chapter recovers the frame and slots the next crippled marine into it. IT is a very high honor as well.

You just know the day ol' Bjorn finally signs off there's gonna be a line-up of Space Wolves trying to saw their torsos off to get in that ride.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

TheLastRoboKy posted:

You just know the day ol' Bjorn finally signs off there's gonna be a line-up of Space Wolves trying to saw their torsos off to get in that ride.

I bet they're like, on Bjorn #6 now, and the Chapter Master just doesn't have the heart to look into the other marines' puppy dog eyes and tell them Bjorn is dead, so they just convince the next guy to play along.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

White Coke posted:

Kommandos are legitimately great at stealth, although an unknown number of their exploits may actually be false flags committed by the Inquisition.

Lamenters and ork snipers.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Chainswords are dumb because they're bad chainsaws. :colbert: The concept is cool, but the implementation is so visibly terrible that you'd do better to use it unpowered as a club.

See this thing? You can't actually make a deep cut because the fat bar gets in the way. But even making a shallow cut is arduous! That scratcher chain dulls fast, cuts slowly, and has a lot of teeth to fix up every time you have to use the poor thing on your enemy of choice.

Modern chainsaws use a chipper tooth design for their chains, which not only alternates the teeth from side to side but also integrates a depth gauge before each curved tooth. The result makes a guide before carving out a small chunk of whatever you're cutting, making for an even cut that doesn't require you to pay attention to your bar pressure just to prevent kickback or pinching. (Fewer teeth on the chain also makes for fewer fine details in the mini sculpts!)

Modern chainsaws can also do plunge cuts (aka bore cuts), where you stick the nose into whatever you like if you need a really deep cut. You don't see them often because forestry is all about clearing large masses of wood and trying not to have the wood fall on you in the process, but nonetheless they're an essential part of the chainsaw skillset. How many Space Marines or Astra Militarum tried thrusting a chainsword into a foe only to find that, oops, the giant-rear end guard that extends all the way up to the nose is getting in the way?

The Door Frame posted:

Are purple Orks still a thing? Because a purple Stormboy squad sounds terrifying
When in doubt, go with the funniest option.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Veloxyll posted:

Da Kodeks Orkstartez callz dis manueva MOAR DAKKA
(In a David Attenborough voice) "And here started the great rift in Orkhood, where the proponents of MOAR CHOPPA versus MOAR DAKKA would prove to be as divisive as the age old Ork question on whether itīs best to be brutally cunning or cunningly brutal".

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I think the front is still a blade, so that if the chainsword engine is broken the marine can still stab the enemies of the imperium with it.

Sisters of Battle and imperial priests use the chainswords you are looking for. huge double handed chainswords with full blades and no guards if it gets pushed back into you by an angry angry ork.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Are those the chainswords with built-in flamers too? Or I am getting it mixed up with something else?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
The chain on a chainsword is also made out of the same stuff Terminator armor is made out of, it'll rip through just about anything. It's not designed to make a nice smooth cut through things, but rather take big bloody chunks and thrown them all over the place while making a hell of a lot of noise.

Plus it's being swung by a Space Marine.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Deadmeat5150 posted:

The chain on a chainsword is also made out of the same stuff Terminator armor is made out of, it'll rip through just about anything. It's not designed to make a nice smooth cut through things, but rather take big bloody chunks and thrown them all over the place while making a hell of a lot of noise.

Plus it's being swung by a Space Marine.

It is tough enough that someone who is skilled in chainsword combat can parry a power sword (IE A FUKKEN LIGHTSABER) without destroying the blade.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Even if it using it to parry is still a risky business and can easily backfire on you.
I know the first Gaunt's Ghost book features a chainsword duel between to officers. While I think the Ciaphas Cain books makes mention of at least one parrying technique that involves locking the opponents blade into the chain and then reversing it to yank it out of their hand.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Fun fact about squigs: They are the failed first attempt of the Tyrannids to adapt the Ork genome to their needs. Orks eventually found them, deemed them sufficiently Orky, and their Waaaagh had enough of a kick behind it to wrest them away from the hivemind.

And also... Behold! Carpet squigging!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Wasn't there a story of some Ork Kommandos dressing as Space Marines and getting away with it?

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Wasn't there a story of some Ork Kommandos dressing as Space Marines and getting away with it?

I dunno if there's anything official like that, but there is Deffwotch, which is a hilarious Rogue Trader campaign with that premise.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

OOrochi posted:

I dunno if there's anything official like that, but there is Deffwotch, which is a hilarious Rogue Trader campaign with that premise.

That might be what Im thinking of.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

my dad posted:

And also... Behold! Carpet squigging!

As an aside, I highly recommend everyone look up Deff Skwadron because as you can see from just that panel, it's a good set of comics.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

CommissarMega posted:

Lamenters and ork snipers.

That was the Celestial Lions, who made the mistake of trying to call an Inquisitor Lord to account for an Exterminatus they thought was unnecessary. For those wondering how it all played out, their delegation to Terra to make an official complaint turned up dead in Ork space, and then during the Third War of Armageddon their Apothecaries were mostly wiped out by "Ork Snipers" when the Celestial Lions had their attack plans leaked to the Greenskins and the Orks turned up in force for a good fight. This meant there was no way to recover the geneseed of the fallen marines to replenish their numbers. The Celestial Lions were almost destroyed as a result and had prepared their last rites as a Chapter but then the Inquisition backed off.

Why? Well they backed off because the Black Templars found out about it. Which serves as a good reminder that you might be a big honorable Space Marine but someone can easily gently caress with you from the shadows if they want and are powerful enough, but even the Inquisition has limits, and those limits extend to a Chapter so big and so very, very vengeful that had the Inquisition kept their poo poo up they probably wouldn't be able to find any shadows to hide in after that.

The Lamenters are a different kind of sad story which I'll tell because it's a great one. An attempt to remove the Red Thirst and Black Rage from the Blood Angels geneseed (the former being a lust for blood and the other being a person driven mostly insane by visions of the moment the Blood Angel Primarch Sanguinius was killed by Horus, which is basically psychically seared into said geneseed) brought about the Lamenter Chapter, and at first things seemed fairly okay. They were a fleet-based chapter and in just about every battle they took part in they got turbofucked by allies or something went wrong or they just got stuck in battles where the chances of winning were pretty slim. But they always fought like goddamn heroes and managed to come out the other side beaten but unbroken, and humble for it (The Ultramarines in particular are fond of them because of their selflessness having worked alongside them). Then to make things worse they were sent to operate around the Maelstrom, a smaller than the Eye of Terror rip in real-space that had a real problem with pirates and general Chaos shenanigans. Though they acquitted themselves in their duty extremely well, conflict arose between the Imperium and the chief defenders of the Badab System the Astral Claws Chapter of Space Marines and their Chapter Master Lugft Huron due to a bunch of grievances involving a lack of support in trying to actually pacify the Maelstrom. The Lamenters sided with the Astral Claws due to them having fought side by side for a significant period of time but then it all spiraled out of control into a massive civil war (the biggest since the Horus Heresy and the biggest still after too) that ended with the Imperium winning and almost everyone involved on the losing side being sent on Penitent Crusades for a significant period of time whilst not being allowed to recruit new recruits.

Their crusade path slammed them directly into the path of Hive Fleet Kraken. The Hive Tendril that almost wiped out both the Eldar Craftworld of Iyanden and the Ultramarines (they wiped out the 1st Company, which is kind of a big deal).

Oh and they still ended up developing the Black Rage and Red Thirst anyway. Still kicking though! Bless 'em.

The Badab War is honestly one of my favourite bits of 40K lore. It's where my favourite successor Chapter the Executioners come from. In my own opinion it's one of the best written conflicts in 40K and the events that lead to its conflict are really cool, the Space Marine Chapters that participated on both sides are supremely cool and just in general the whole thing is one big mess that could have been avoided or defused so many times until it just went goddamn insane. I could talk about it for hooooouuuuuuurs. It's why when people say "Space Marines are boring" I just shake my head in disagreement.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Apparently the Lamenters get a minor mention as taking part in one of the conflict zones in one of the recent 9th ed books.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Not seeing any skulls or claws or green on this thing so that just proves my point.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
One thing I dislike about this map - and several others in the campaign - is its complete linearity. Having some terrain options and being able to choose your approach is pretty basic RTS design, in my opinion.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Episode 4: Destroy the Xenos

In today's Orkamungus, Captain Orkamungus of the Orka Mungus Chapter of Orkamungus strike out of the city of Magna Mungus to Orka the Mungus Orkamungus Orkamungus Orka Orka! O R K A M U N G U S.

Speaking of smart Orks, if the War of the Beast is any indication the only thing needed for them to start reappearing is a sufficiently large amount of Orks under one banner. This is why it's so important to keep them fractured and why the Imperium should be very worried about Waaagh Ghazghkull.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

TheLastRoboKy posted:

That was the Celestial Lions, who made the mistake of trying to call an Inquisitor Lord to account for an Exterminatus they thought was unnecessary. For those wondering how it all played out, their delegation to Terra to make an official complaint turned up dead in Ork space, and then during the Third War of Armageddon their Apothecaries were mostly wiped out by "Ork Snipers" when the Celestial Lions had their attack plans leaked to the Greenskins and the Orks turned up in force for a good fight. This meant there was no way to recover the geneseed of the fallen marines to replenish their numbers. The Celestial Lions were almost destroyed as a result and had prepared their last rites as a Chapter but then the Inquisition backed off.

Why? Well they backed off because the Black Templars found out about it. Which serves as a good reminder that you might be a big honorable Space Marine but someone can easily gently caress with you from the shadows if they want and are powerful enough, but even the Inquisition has limits, and those limits extend to a Chapter so big and so very, very vengeful that had the Inquisition kept their poo poo up they probably wouldn't be able to find any shadows to hide in after that.
Unfortunately, the Celestial Lions got stuck on the wrong side of the Great Rift, so things haven't been super great for them since Armageddon. If people want to know more, Spears of The Emperor is where you can find how they (and their allied chapter, the Emperor's Spears) have been getting along.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

my dad posted:

Fun fact about squigs: They are the failed first attempt of the Tyrannids to adapt the Ork genome to their needs. Orks eventually found them, deemed them sufficiently Orky, and their Waaaagh had enough of a kick behind it to wrest them away from the hivemind.

I think that's been retconned away, like Orks developing sexual dimorphism in order to reproduce instead of using spores.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Whoa whoa what is that about Orks no longer sporing? Orks are boning now?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Whoa whoa what is that about Orks no longer sporing? Orks are boning now?

I think he means that the sporing is the retcon and that Orks used to have dimorphism.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

One thing I dislike about this map - and several others in the campaign - is its complete linearity. Having some terrain options and being able to choose your approach is pretty basic RTS design, in my opinion.
That's a failing all DoW1 games have, I feel. In episode 1 TheLastRoboKy went over several game mechanics like morale, terrain and whatnot. And the game has a lot of in-depth strategic mechanics. But for most of the singleplayer experience none of that stuff matters and you just kind of end up doing Select All and Attack Move along the linear path. And then sigh at the poor pathfinding.

The singleplayer is more about the 40k atmosphere. Watching big, burly dudes in power armour be awesome, and listening to the voice actors chewing the scenery. Multiplayer is where the game can shine as a RTS.

White Coke posted:

I think that's been retconned away, like Orks developing sexual dimorphism in order to reproduce instead of using spores.
Yeah. That was origins on Squigs, but later ork codexes rewrote them to be part of the Orkoid fungi.

As for female orks. Way back in the earliest bit of Warhammer Fantasy lore, there were some references to female orcs. But when 40k became a thing and got its own lore, some genius at GW had the idea of reimagining them as fungi (presumably because none of the writers were willing to think about orcy romance).

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

I don't think they ever had dimorphism but old Orks would give birth to litters of new Orks when they reached the end of their lives up until 2nd Edition/Gorkamorka when it was changed to reproduction via spores. It sounds more like parthenogenesis than Ork boning though.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Poil posted:

Are those the chainswords with built-in flamers too? Or I am getting it mixed up with something else?
I did see some chainswords with bayonets on the end. Which ends up turning them into standard polearms but with more literal moving parts because they're blocking the chain itself.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
one of the greatest failings of the internet that i will have to rectify at some point is the fact that there's no 3 second meme video of EAT CHAINSWORD for me to link right now

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think he means that the sporing is the retcon and that Orks used to have dimorphism.

Oh. Oh right.

Damnit, and I'd just started working on a fan book too...

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Follow your dreams and drat the canon.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If there's one thing the Badcast Fact or Fanfiction section has taught me it's that a lot of people have already said "drat the canon".

White Coke
May 29, 2015
It is canon that Orks have buttholes, because they frequently "feed" the Squigs in the fungus drops, and Orks hate doing any kind of manual labor unless they're some kind of Oddboy.

And the most important breed of Squig is by far the Hair Squig.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Also I was happy to see you using the 'attack ground' command on the artillery, even if it wasn't working due to bugs. Way too often I see people, especially IG players, not realizing that you can blind-fire artillery into the enemy's position with attack ground. It always feels nice in that Imperial Guard way, to find a heavily fortified enemy base, and set up your firing line just out of range of their turrets and then start lobbing artillery shells into the middle of their base until it either burns down or they come charging out of it into the teeth of your guns.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
If you aren't making it rain artillery shells into the enemy base from across the map as an IG player, you are not a good IG player :commissar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Slaan posted:

If you aren't making it rain artillery shells into the enemy base from across the map as an IG player, you are not a good IG player :commissar:
Maxim 56: Infantry exists to paint targets for people with real guns.
Maxim 57: Artillery exists to launch large chunks of budget at an enemy it cannot actually see.