Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

the sheer amount of time off is what I miss most about EMS. I did Monday/Wednesday 24’s and had the rest of my week to chill (though tuesdays were lost causes). The gory poo poo never bothered me at all, nor did much else about the job besides the crap pay.

I’m fire side, but we have fire based EMS (both BLS and ALS), so... I’m the dark side where the Union works and all. I really enjoy the 48/96 lifestyle with OT fairly frequent (that I can use as comp time, depending on staffing).

hypnophant posted:

I've been out for almost a decade and don't miss it any more, but I still wouldn't trade that time for anything. I had some bad days, but the good ones made up for it.

The time off was great. I used to accrue PTO on overtime as well as pay, and I'd usually end up taking off around 6 weeks a year. Plus 12 days of sick time a year, and they never asked questions when you called in.

The fact that, if you need a mental health day, no one questions or cares if you need that time. That is huge in this field and well appreciated. That and, on the fire side at least, supervisors are at least trained to be people first, mission second, because you can’t do the mission without people.

To stay on-topic- I’m the idiot. I once turned a Horton ambulance (think an ambulance built on the tractor part of a tractor-trailer) left into a driveway at 2 am, dipped the drivers side back wheel into a ditch(that sad feeling you have when you look over the front passenger side of the nose and see too much real estate), gunned it out. I ended up causing, at minimum, $5k worth of damage to that ambulance. Ground lights, rear bumper sheared off on the frame at the drivers side, and all.

windshipper fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I envy the hell out of people where EMS isn't a total clusterfuck. Central Texas is either third service, which gets absolute scraps and paid like poo poo compared to police and fire; or it's fire-based and is either impossible to get on, or is very sketchy quality. And a lot of fire-based EMS services basically segregate their EMS side from their fire side, having much the same effect as making the EMS side a third service, because they too get scraps and treated like poo poo.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 19, 2020

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

Dick Burglar posted:

I envy the hell out of people where EMS isn't a total clusterfuck. Central Texas is either third service, which gets absolute scraps and paid like poo poo compared to police and fire; or it's fire-based and is either impossible to get on, or is very sketchy quality. And a lot of fire-based EMS services basically segregate their EMS side from their fire side, having much the same effect as making the EMS side a third service, because they too get scraps and treated like poo poo.

I honestly lucked the hell out and got hired career at a department I had been working part-time at for 4 years. I had been working volly/part time and all for 5 years at that point. In my state the average age of hire and years spent trying to get hired were 29 years old and 4 years of regular testing.

I turned 30 the morning my first full time, 48 hour shift ended and I had been working on getting hired for 4 years.

To stay with the idiots thread -

I once left a former navy seal who was my partner on the aid car at the station due to poor judgement and misunderstanding response protocols while I was an FNG on a cross staffed engine/aid car (2 on the engine, 2 on the aid car). While I am glad to not have gotten my head canoed in the middle of the night, I’m pretty certain that the fact I am not former Special Forces saved my life.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

In my early days of driving armored trucks I would leave behind my partner when they would open the door, toss in the money then head out for lunch without saying anything. Sometimes I would get to the next stop and have to double back to grab them just sitting there eating lunch.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

In my early days of driving armored trucks I would leave behind my partner when they would open the door, toss in the money then head out for lunch without saying anything. Sometimes I would get to the next stop and have to double back to grab them just sitting there eating lunch.

I feel like the second time this happened is when i would have called a supervisor to say that my partner had wandered off and I couldn’t find them, but i never had any compunction about throwing people under the bus if they were loving with me

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

windshipper posted:

NYE 2018/2019 I watched as a guy got hit so hard by a car at 70+ mph, that his R arm was partially amputated, his head was partially amputated, his feet were facing the wrong way, open lower leg fractures, brain matter exposed. Oh yeah, and he got knocked out of all of his clothes EXCEPT his socks.

I had to run a 4 lead on him to confirm death. Like, that should be a BLS skill, calling that one.

literally we had a squad respond to a doa that had been down over a week as an estimate, obvious lividity, black bloated, Doc on call literally wanted the medic to do a pulse check and a 4 lead to confirm death on it. I think the coroner who was there (and per protocal could not do that call) told the medic to send the dumbass doctor a picutre of the body and identify if it was dead or not.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

When my mom was an RN one of her co-workers was with a new doctor who had to pronounce for the first time. The patient had been gone for a while so rigor had set in. The new doctor still insisted that they take vitals, etc.

The RN yanked the pillow out from under the deceased's head (which stayed up a few inches off the mattress). She then ran her hand back and forth between the head and the mattress and said to the doctor, "she's fuckin' dead..."

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
There was a crew for an unattended in a bathtub at an independent living part of a senior living facility in my district. The deceased had carked it in the tub and the nursing home staff asked if they could help move the corpse to the bed for the family. One person ignored the cries of “noooo don’t” from their whole crew and agreed. They took the hands, the staff took the feet. Three, two, one, gooooo oh god why do they have new opera gloves? Complete degloving from the elbows down.

Always listen to your partners when they tell you something is a bad idea.

LingcodKilla posted:

I somehow made it six years without ever forgetting a third at the hospital. I did have to sprint after my rapidly departing ambulance once.

E: I think I may make a GiP medical thread if people are interested/it fits with the forum. I remember there was a GiP firefighting thread a while ago.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Itchy_Grundle posted:

When my mom was an RN one of her co-workers was with a new doctor who had to pronounce for the first time. The patient had been gone for a while so rigor had set in. The new doctor still insisted that they take vitals, etc.

The RN yanked the pillow out from under the deceased's head (which stayed up a few inches off the mattress). She then ran her hand back and forth between the head and the mattress and said to the doctor, "she's fuckin' dead..."

Coulda been planking, that was very popular with the kids remember.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Even in death she had an amazing core

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

There was a crew for an unattended in a bathtub at an independent living part of a senior living facility in my district. The deceased had carked it in the tub and the nursing home staff asked if they could help move the corpse to the bed for the family. One person ignored the cries of “noooo don’t” from their whole crew and agreed. They took the hands, the staff took the feet. Three, two, one, gooooo oh god why do they have new opera gloves? Complete degloving from the elbows down.

Always listen to your partners when they tell you something is a bad idea.

I somehow made it six years without ever forgetting a third at the hospital. I did have to sprint after my rapidly departing ambulance once.

E: I think I may make a GiP medical thread if people are interested/it fits with the forum. I remember there was a GiP firefighting thread a while ago.

:justpost:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Totally will once I’m not phoneposting, the app doesn’t let you make threads for some reason.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Totally will once I’m not phoneposting, the app doesn’t let you make threads for some reason.

The android app was first written back when you got banned if your thread's OP wasn't 5000 characters long and you didn't cite at least six sources; since that kind of work sucks on a phone the original dev Ferg felt that it was a better use of his time to work on other things and none of the successor devs have gone back to add it though the iOS app lets you start new threads.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Midjack posted:

The android app was first written back when you got banned if your thread's OP wasn't 5000 characters long and you didn't cite at least six sources; since that kind of work sucks on a phone the original dev Ferg felt that it was a better use of his time to work on other things and none of the successor devs have gone back to add it though the iOS app lets you start new threads.

Turns out I had to reboot the app, the preview button was stuck grayed out.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

loving hell lads

quote:

A United States Marine Corps (USMC) helicopter crew chief says Australian special forces shot and killed a bound Afghan prisoner after being told he would not fit on the US aircraft coming to pick them up.

"We had done the drug raid, the Aussies actually did a pretty impressive job, wrangling all the prisoners up," Josh said.

"We just watched them tackle and hogtie these guys and we knew their hands were tied behind their backs."

He says the commandos then called up the US aircraft to pick them and about seven prisoners up.

He says the Americans only had room on the aircraft for six.

"And the pilot said, 'That's too many people, we can't carry that many passengers.' And you just heard this silence and then we heard a pop. And then they said, 'OK, we have six prisoners'.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Yeah, our new "SAS Australia" reality TV show should be loving great. Can't wait to see our Z-list celebs being trained to commit war crimes. :australia:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Memento posted:

loving hell lads

Man, you sort of hope it's some stdh.txt right out of a Clancy novel :smith:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If Clancy wrote it, I would be thinking “what a hack”.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Feels like in old Clancy it would've been the Soviets to show how evil they were. In new Clancy it would be American dudes, and the readers supposed to go "wow, cool".

21st century war crimes man.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

movax posted:

Man, you sort of hope it's some stdh.txt right out of a Clancy novel :smith:

I wouldn't be surprised if it's true.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-15/sas-soldiers-allegedly-plant-gun-on-dead-bodies-in-afghanistan/12452964

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Always a good sign when the marines are complaining about unnecessary violence.

I believe it though. Our SAS are some fuckin nutters.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I mean isn't that how the war in Iraq started, America planted a gun on Saddam?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Well he didn't stop resisting so what else can the world police do in the situation?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tunicate posted:

I mean isn't that how the war in Iraq started, America planted a gun on Saddam?

Was there even that much pretext? It seemed more like Global Policeman America yelled out “HE’S GOT A WMD” and shot the poo poo out of him, like any American policeman would do.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Sprinkle a little yellowcake on him and then calmly walk away.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

quote:

Dear VMI Family,

Many of you have seen an article written by the Washington Post over the weekend that portrays the Institute as having a culture of hostility and insensitivity toward Black cadets. Yesterday, Governor Ralph Northam ’81 and legislative leaders ordered an independent, third-party review of VMI’s “culture, policies, practices, and equity in disciplinary procedures.” Mr. Bill Boland ’73, president of the VMI Board of Visitors, has responded by welcoming the review and offering the Institute’s full cooperation.

I am confident that the review will find that the Institute strives to act with honor, integrity, respect, and civility within the confines of what is legal and appropriate and, in particular, with respect to the incidents detailed in the Washington Post article. I do not believe that systemic racism is present at VMI; however, we can always work to improve on our actions. We look forward to conversations that will occur over the next several months and the objective input and recommendations from the reviewers.

Throughout this time we must remain focused on our mission and the Corps of Cadets giving them the very best full spectrum, nationally recognized education in the country. While we cannot ignore the current social issues, we must redouble our efforts in the midst of this pandemic to bring the current semester to a successful conclusion and ensuring the well-being of the entire Corps of Cadets and our staff, faculty, and classified members.

Now, more than ever, VMI remains dedicated to our unique educational model which has resulted in generations of proud alumni committed to service to the Commonwealth of Virginia and the United States. Our mission of creating citizen soldiers is unlike any other institution of higher education and continues to provide an incredible educational opportunity for the young men and women of Virginia and our nation. VMI will emerge from this process stronger than ever before.

Sincerely,

J.H. Binford Peay III ‘62
General, U.S. Army (Retired)

Got an email today.

Fake military, continuing to be real dipshits.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Putting alums' grad years in front of their names is loving stupid, especially when they're ordering investigations into you '69

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

not doing any favors by referring to the governor by name when the subject is racism imo

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Stolen from TFR, this belongs here

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

"US Army claims it was hacked after tweeting at OnlyFans account - Business Insider"

Lmao

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
is that what they call being enlisted now?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
IT MAKES A FELLOW PROUD TO BE A SOLDIER words and music by Tom Lehrer

The heart of every man in our platoon must swell with pride
For the nation's youth, the cream of which is marching at his side,
For the fascinating rules and regulations that we share,
And the quaint and curious costumes that we're called upon to wear.

Now Al joined up to do his part defending you and me.
He wants to fight and bleed and kill and die for liberty.
With the hell of war he's come to grips,
Policing up the filter tips.
It makes a fellow proud to be a soldier.

When Pete was only in the seventh grade, he stabbed a cop.
He's real R.A. material, and he was glad to swap
His switch-blade and his old zip-gun
For a bayonet and a new M-1.

After Johnny got through basic training, he
Was a soldier through and through when he was done.
Its effects were so well rooted
That the next day he saluted
A Good-Humor man, an usher, and a nun.

Now Fred's an intellectual, brings a book to every meal.
He likes the deep philosophers, like Norman Vincent Peale.
He thinks the army's "just the thing"
Because he finds it "broadening."

Now Ed flunked out of second grade and never finished school.
He doesn't know a shelter-half from an entrenching tool.
But he's going to be a big success.
He heads his class at O.C.S.

Our old mess sergeant's taste buds had been shot off in the war,
Buit his savory collations add to our esprit de corps.
To think of all the marvelous ways
They're using plastics nowadays,

Our lieutenant is the up and coming type,
Played with solders as a boy, you just can bet.
It is written in the stars,
He will get his captain's bars,
But he hasn't got enough boxtops yet.

Our captain has a handicap to cope with, sad to tell.
He's from Georgia, and he doesn't speak the language very well.
He used to be, so rumor has,
The dean of men at Alcatraz,
It makes a fellow proud to be
What as a kid I vowed to be,
What luck to be allowed to be a soldier. At ease!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tom Lehrer had some good interviews about the idiots he served with when he got drafted in the 50’s. Which also led to him inventing Jell-O shots to smuggle booze on base. A true American hero. o7

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Tom Lehrer had some good interviews about the idiots he served with when he got drafted in the 50’s. Which also led to him inventing Jell-O shots to smuggle booze on base. A true American hero. o7

I posted in honor of his adding his lyrics and sheet music to the public domain

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

"The Army has carried the American democratic ideal to it's logical conclusion; In the sense that, not only do they prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, creed, and color, but also on the grounds of ability."

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Tom Lehrer - It Makes a Fellow Proud to Be a Soldier

The lyrics are great but half the jokes are in the spoken intros to his songs and you're missing out if you don't listen to them.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Got an email today.

Fake military, continuing to be real dipshits.

The only way this would be better is if it were about the Citadel instead of VMI.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/SnottieDrippen/status/1319346145416667136

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mmmm yum, commissary sushi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost