Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What do you guys think of Black Mesa? How's the gameplay feel compared to the original HL? It's been so long since I played through it but I have a feeling it's aged worse than iD games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

SeANMcBAY posted:

What was the first game to popularize WASD?

Dark Castle maybe?

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

SeANMcBAY posted:

What was the first game to popularize WASD?

Quake IMO. https://www.pcgamer.com/how-wasd-became-the-standard-pc-control-scheme/

(interesting argument for HL in there too though)

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Black Mesa is sick, pretty much on the level of any professional remaster. I'd say overall gameplay was improved although that may be contentious but the spots that were bad in the original are at least decent in BM. That said I still think the original is totally playable.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

MMF Freeway posted:

Black Mesa is sick, pretty much on the level of any professional remaster. I'd say overall gameplay was improved although that may be contentious but the spots that were bad in the original are at least decent in BM. That said I still think the original is totally playable.

Nice, I'll give it a shot when it's probably on sale next month.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

What do you guys think of Black Mesa? How's the gameplay feel compared to the original HL? It's been so long since I played through it but I have a feeling it's aged worse than iD games.

I think it's a weaker game than Half-Life because it was made by mega fans so they exacerbate some issues that were never there in the first place. It's an amazing piece of work, a real love letter, but I still think Half-Life is amazing game worth playing on its own. So I can't recommend Black Mesa if you've never played OG HL but if you're an HL veteran it's the perfect way to re-experience the game.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Up to 2.8 hours in Perilous Warp.

I'm increasingly leaning towards a "Do Not Buy". Still playing on Hard, and a good part of the time I've spent has been reloading simply because the ranged laser enemies are so accurate and so fast on the trigger that I have to play games with line of sight (shooting their arms around corners) and just brute-forcing, particularly the stronger variant that I first encountered at the first grenade launcher.

The arenas are just...tiresome. I just finished up one that forced me to fight what felt like 30 melee enemies without pause. These melee enemies have a leap similar to Quake Fiends, and came in around ~4 at a time (with a new one teleporting in each time one died). I ended up just...circle strafing around the arena but a really weird circle strafing where I kept flicking behind me to tag one with a weapon. I had to keep saving during the fight just so I wouldn't have to start the whole thing over again when RNG hosed me and one of them managed to tag me with a lethal leap.

The environments seem decent, there's a number of logs written in (to me, charming) Engrish that give background, it's just the enemy offensive balancing is so garbo even for hard that the developers should go back and review it, particularly the ranged laser enemies. There's challenging then there's frustrating and things definitely lean towards the latter.

Gonna keep plowing on to see what else develops.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

al-azad posted:

I think it's a weaker game than Half-Life because it was made by mega fans so they exacerbate some issues that were never there in the first place. It's an amazing piece of work, a real love letter, but I still think Half-Life is amazing game worth playing on its own. So I can't recommend Black Mesa if you've never played OG HL but if you're an HL veteran it's the perfect way to re-experience the game.

I've played the original HL but not since like 2000-2001. I'll probably grab it just for the hell of it next month as well. I always liked HL2 more so a remake that makes the original more like it sounds cool.

Yes, I know the source port sucks poo poo.:)

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 21, 2020

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

I've played the original HL but not since like 2000-2001. I'll probably grab it just for the hell of it next month as well.

Yes, I know the source port sucks poo poo.:)

Absolutely get Black Mesa then.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I used to use WASD but with fire on spacebar and jump on left click because I found it easier to smoothly lead shots on moving targets that way.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

So uh in the rune screen in the doom eternal dlc press the chainsaw button three times.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

al-azad posted:

So uh in the rune screen in the doom eternal dlc press the chainsaw button three times.

hot carpet

Barudak
May 7, 2007

al-azad posted:

No Doom, you are the meme. And Doom was a meme.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Oct 21, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

MMF Freeway posted:

ESDF seems more logical to me from the "amount of buttons that are easy to press" perspective but I'm way too lazy to bother changing the keybinds for every game

Quake 2 maybe?

Yep, for me was Quake 2. Some people rebinded controls in Quake 1, as the pc gamer article says, but you had to be pretty into the community, at that time that not a lot of people even had Internet, so until Quake 2 default controls it really wasn't popularized.

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."

david_a posted:

I use QWES (strafe keys shifted up one). I blamed this on System Shock 1 for the longest time but it doesn’t match the controls for that game so I have no idea where I got it from.

I think there's at least a few MMOs that steer like that (with A and D turning) unless left/right click is held down for the camera, which then switches to regular WASD. I know that has gotten me killed in a few WADs over the years when I accidentally throw a metadoom grenade while trying to strafe by a wall or something.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

Yep, for me was Quake 2. Some people rebinded controls in Quake 1, as the pc gamer article says, but you had to be pretty into the community, at that time that not a lot of people even had Internet, so until Quake 2 default controls it really wasn't popularized.
As the PCGamer article explains: Quake 2's default controls are still Ye Olde Arrow Keys, but they included an alternate config file ("exec thresh", in reference to the Quake 1 pro who first popularized the control scheme) to automatically set WASD controls. Half-Life 1 was probably the first game to have WASD set by default, but I wouldn't be shocked if there was something earlier. It was almost certainly the game that made it mainstream, at any rate.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mmm I distinctly remember trying WASD for the first time in Quake 2. And I didn't even had Internet then. I doubt I discovered 'exec thresh' by myself. Maybe I tried on my own? I can't remember.

Maybe it was the first time I used keyb + freeaim mouse but I was still using the arrow keys.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

SeANMcBAY posted:

I love love love Black Mesa, its amazing how much detail they put into that, truly a love letter to the original game. That said I remember when I played it I had to mod it somehow to lower the reaction times of the soldiers, I and many people agree that they are a bit overtuned.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

Mmm I distinctly remember trying WASD for the first time in Quake 2. And I didn't even had Internet then. I doubt I discovered 'exec thresh' by myself. Maybe I tried on my own? I can't remember.

Maybe it was the first time I used keyb + freeaim mouse but I was still using the arrow keys.

I was still using the arrow keys for half-life in 2000 :downs:
I feel like I played every shooter with arrow keys and no mouse (or some mouse) for the whole 90s because I was a dumb kid and using letters to move is crazy, they're letters! You move with arrows!

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Friend of mine is playing G String and said it's a source engine project through and through, with endless crawling through the vents and jumping above pools of acid. The atmosphere is great, though, and the only that keeps them playing.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I finished the new maps of Arcane Dimensions.

Arcane Adamantine: Despite the fancy name, it's a very brown, very Quake 1 level. Exactly, it's a sewer level, Civvie would love it! It's still well done and fun to play, it has good combat encounters.

Slipgate Conundrum: a remake of the famous first map of Q1. A bit bigger and fancier, with some hidden secrets. Still, a pretty short, straightforward level compared to the rest.

Ak-Alakha : a very compact map, using verticality in a single scene dominated by a hole in the middle, which you go around it as you climb up. I liked this one, it had a desperate feel to the combat, and the layout is original too.

Grendels' Blade: That's the stuff. A freaking big sword dominates the map, with most of the map surrounding it. The dark metal and lava touches serves as perfect accents. I got stuck near the end (where you have to jump down to an 'eye') but overall a very good map.

Nyarlathoteps Sand Castle: Brown sand, and some Egyptian motifs, it's a decent map, but not my favorite.

Tears of the False God: A great map, as I talked previously. Great art, layout and flow. There is a secret below, hidden by a gate I couldn't open, despite getting 11 or 12 'fragments'. I wonder how many were needed.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Oct 21, 2020

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

al-azad posted:

What happens? I don't have the DLC and probably won't get it any time soon.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

Tears of the False God: A great map, as I talked previously. Great art, layout and flow. There is a secret below, hidden by a gate I couldn't open, despite getting 11 or 12 'framents'. I wonder how many were needed.

You need 16 fragments to unlock the secret arena and it's really worth doing. Bal must have been extremely confident to put something so substantial and technically impressive behind a wall of secrets.

The map is quite interesting insofar as weapon and item placements change depending on the path you take through the map, to ensure you're gonna get a full kit no matter where you end up going. There's also a few more shards than necessary to open the gate in the main map, but there's also a few mandatory ones hidden behind teleporters and the one in the final arena, so once you hit 12-ish it de-spawns the extras and replaces them with powerups.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

What happens? I don't have the DLC and probably won't get it any time soon.

It just displays the Doom Eternal logo modified to say "Doog Eternal" instead.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I played Wolf3D, Doom, Duke and Quake all using arrow keys. I can't remember using the mouse until Quake, and when I first played it I inverted my mouse like it was a flight sim :barf:

I was diehard about arrow keys and mouse until my buddy convinced me to try System Shock 2, which made me eventually go WASD. This is after managing to play the original System Shock when I was a kid, though I never got very far. Nowadays I'm hardwired to WASD, space to jump, left shift to crouch.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
For a while I used the Numpad for all my gaming, due to playing Thief. I had walk forward on NUM5, movement on the arrows, and the leans. Seemed great at the time. If you use the Numpad to move in MMOs there's a lot of buttons right there that you can use for skills and poo poo as an alternative to 1-5. At one point I even had a USB numpad separate from my keyboard.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Flannelette posted:

I was still using the arrow keys for half-life in 2000 :downs:
I feel like I played every shooter with arrow keys and no mouse (or some mouse) for the whole 90s because I was a dumb kid and using letters to move is crazy, they're letters! You move with arrows!
It wasn't because you were a dumb kid, it was because those were the default key bindings.

Most DOOM players played keyboard-only for its contemporaneous run. I tried the mouse with Quake a few times but it didn't click until I was told about WASD. I wasn't aware until today that it was a built-in optional configuration for Quake II. WASD was a default binding for Half-Life.

I haven't "seriously" played a PC FPS since Quake III but I've always used invert look with a mouse. Sure it started with flight sims but it was reinforced by early console FPSes too. Goldeneye uses invert-Y even with the on-screen reticle to the point that pressing up makes the reticle go down.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Like most modern FPS features, the first time I remember WASD was in Outlaws with the kbm setup but I don’t know if that was the original release or the 2.0 re-release.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I can still remember making the decision to switch from arrow keys to WASD after seeing people talk about it on Usenet / the primeval web. It must have been 1996 or 97?

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I started with keys and switched with Quake because my older brother had watch some of Thresh’s demos and decided to emulate his play down to key bindings.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I started using WSAD when I went to my friend's house and we started playing Q3A demo, and he told me I'm a dumbass for still playing with arrow keys.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/romero/status/1318928980804833287

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Barudak posted:

No Doom, you are the meme. And Doom was a meme.

Further confirming the extremely correct theory that the 2016/Eternal doomguy is actually John Stalvern

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Kinsie please add this to the OP

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

al-azad posted:

Like most modern FPS features, the first time I remember WASD was in Outlaws with the kbm setup but I don’t know if that was the original release or the 2.0 re-release.

azurite posted:

It took me until UT to realize AWSD and mouse was the way to go. I was also using a joystick for movement for a good while.

laserghost posted:

I started using WSAD when I went to my friend's house and we started playing Q3A demo, and he told me I'm a dumbass for still playing with arrow keys.

I started using ADWS with Quake.

meta²
Sep 11, 2001

What the flip was Grandma doing at the dunes?

In this video Thresh talks a little bit about inventing the WASD control scheme. The whole video is a pretty fun walk down memory lane from the competitive doom days through retiring before Quake 3.

https://youtu.be/ApRoxv2UbRg

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Convex posted:

Kinsie please add this to the OP

:hmmyes:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/devolverdigital/status/1318935431937953792

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Maybe they can cut losses on Sam 4 now and move on to Talos, now that they don't need the money from Sam 4 to avoid death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

Maybe they can cut losses on Sam 4 now and move on to Talos, now that they don't need the money from Sam 4 to avoid death.
The presser specifically mentions Talos 2.