Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

holey poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I think the first weekly PPV for TNA featured a little person jacking it in a trash can.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Eat My Fuc posted:

I think the first weekly PPV for TNA featured a little person jacking it in a trash can.

Yes, this was the only TNA PPV my parents agreed to buy.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I ordered a depressing number of those weekly ppvs. Lol.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I had friends who got them and could have watched for free but even at 19 or whatever my time was already worth more than that to me.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

JUNGLE BOY posted:

There’s also the Zero Fucks Friday thread in r/SquaredCircle where people unleash the rage they’ve been holding in all week about how mean people are to WWE.

It’s group therapy but for Vincels. Just paragraphs and paragraphs about how Retribution is actually incredibly well done and the fact that people complain about them just shows that the marks say they want long term story telling but don’t actually want it.

Here’s some highlights from the most recent one:

I used to trawl those threads for nuggets to post here but it just became to repetetive. Just the same exact posters making the same exact posts. Though fun scuttlebutt, the guy who used to make the threads got his account banned from reddit for constantly dm-ing people death threats so he created a new account because he just needed to continue owning the smarks with his thread.

If you go through my post history in this thread you can see some people who are very Not Mad about Cody and Mox.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Eat My Fuc posted:

Close, it was week 7 or 8.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Eat My Fuc posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/impactwrestling/status/1304192269667442688?lang=en

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Hellblazer187 posted:

I ordered a depressing number of those weekly ppvs. Lol.

Yeah, same here. I was duped by Double J!

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I was super bored of the WWE and TNA looked so different and new!

My friend and I bought only one which was headlined by America's Most Wanted vs XXX in a ladder match, I think!

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
To add to what MRT said:

I'd have to dig around to see when it started, but once monthly (and eventually quarterly) PPV buys nose dived and plateaued to a steady audience of the same few people, Meltzer always reported that it hovered around 8,000 buys. (And someone who would know has indicated to me that Dave's Dixie era PPV buy data/estimates/whatever tended to be startlingly accurate, especially since he got it before they did.) So yes, there were almost certainly entire calendar years where 12 TNA PPVs drew less total buys than any of AEW's quarterly PPVs today.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
How it started / how it's going
https://twitter.com/willcooling/status/1318719063284219906
https://twitter.com/willcooling/status/1318730996313980930

Some people can't understand that saying "Matt Sydal sucks poo poo, no one should hire him" might be a controversial statement that others may disagree with and proceed to lose their mind.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i do appreciate rovert saying "actually i would simply be hiring the next orange cassidy"

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Alaois posted:

i do appreciate rovert saying "actually i would simply be hiring the next orange cassidy"

Always on the hunt for the next guy in his mid-30s who would obviously never leave his well paying shoot job to work for some money mark.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Sounds like Will Cooling needs to cool off!!!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Seams posted:

Sounds like Will Cooling needs to cool off!!!

gently caress I wish I'd used that line before he finally blocked me, 20 quote tweets after deciding I was a troll.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Did they even sign Sydal? I assumed he was on a per-appearance deal.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

gently caress I wish I'd used that line before he finally blocked me, 20 quote tweets after deciding I was a troll.

You could always do the HIT THE BRICKS GOOFY route and set up a burner account just to say it. I did check to see if @OffCooling was available but it's not, however @WillCoolingOff is!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

So it's agreed, we get Will Cooling a job at Firestone tires, then send MRT down there with a shitton of shrimp...

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

History Comes Inside! posted:

I don't think he's signed but he's probably closer than Cardona ever was.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

History Comes Inside! posted:

There are no indications he has been signed. And frankly if you can have a wrestler like this on a per appearance deal it's perfect. He's respected, the average fan has some familiarity with him, he is willing to lose and not be a problem, and he's a good wrestler. You have someone who can give prospects a good match, who can make your stars look good and who you can slot into random matches for the Dark content mill. Why wouldn't you want that?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

His super lovely acting is also very amusing on BTE

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

God drat, that dude's twitter feed is one for the books.

Not any more. *poof*

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

From wreddit

quote:

John Silver will be some internet darling until BTE Fans losing interest and dropping him for some other short term hype object

Literally always viewing what works in AEW through a broke brain WWE lens

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

john silver has been an internet darling for like a decade

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I liked John Silver when he first appeared in Chikara around 2012, if only because my first assumption was that Frightmare had been banging out the roids while on the injury list

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
https://twitter.com/StewartReigns/status/1319098911739576322
a good ol' wholesome bad take for you, thread. have a good one

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The same company that put on the Boneyard that people went wild over and the Firefly Funhouse that less people went wild over but many still tried to call revolutionary and high art.

https://twitter.com/JustinLaBar/status/1319278124794667015

Wild persecution complexes.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I do think there’s a legitimate argument that AEW’s built up more credibility with fans to be able to take a weird swing like that, whereas WWE does not have that available to them. That segment doesn’t exist in a vacuum and you can’t just carve it out of the context of AEW and graft it on to Raw and expect the same reaction.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
loving wild a rovert tweet I agree with

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

I do think there’s a legitimate argument that AEW’s built up more credibility with fans to be able to take a weird swing like that, whereas WWE does not have that available to them. That segment doesn’t exist in a vacuum and you can’t just carve it out of the context of AEW and graft it on to Raw and expect the same reaction.

I also think there's something to be said for character consistency. Like that was weird but its keeping entirely within character that Jericho and MJF would do that to amuse themselves. So I think its easier to swallow because they're just fuller characters. That comes through consistent storytelling and characterization, which is a huge flaw of WWE.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Its all about trust: if people trust you to end up doing good in the end then they'll tolerate some bullshit while if they don't they won't.

I also it also can work the other way round though: if people care about your promotion and expect it to be good then when you aren't people won't be happy; while with WWE no one has any positive expectations so they don't really care. The last thing you want is apathy: which is increasingly what WWE is getting. If you do a bad job its a good sign when people are like "WHY DID YOU DO THAT!!!" since they care: when the reaction is "well its just what they do" then that's a terrible sign.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/voiceswrestling/status/1319309374569971712

I love VoW (where my 10 dollar tier homies at) but yeeeesh. The takes, they're too hot.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

Its all about trust: if people trust you to end up doing good in the end then they'll tolerate some bullshit while if they don't they won't.

I also it also can work the other way round though: if people care about your promotion and expect it to be good then when you aren't people won't be happy; while with WWE no one has any positive expectations so they don't really care. The last thing you want is apathy: which is increasingly what WWE is getting. If you do a bad job its a good sign when people are like "WHY DID YOU DO THAT!!!" since they care: when the reaction is "well its just what they do" then that's a terrible sign.

That's pretty much it. If AEW does something weird I know they know what they're doing. WWE? They don't. Hell, the sketch has a good example of that with the setup. They understand wrestling so they understood they could set up expectations with the staging and then go against those expectations by literally pulling the curtain away.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

There are also way too many factors in play where you could take the same thing, put it in WWE, and watch it fail.

The tweets mentioned some of those already, but there's also:
- Outdated references
- Commentators laughing audibly the whole time
- Commentators telling you how great and funny this is
- Doing different versions of the same bit the following few weeks in a more hamfisted way because people enjoyed the original
- Eventually punishing the people involved in the original when the subsequent attempts at recreating the magic don't take off as well

There's just no reason to trust WWE to do something good on purpose. Most of the poo poo that they do that is enjoyable and fun is either accidental or the 1-in-100 exception to all of their rules.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

MJeff posted:

I love VoW (where my 10 dollar tier homies at) but yeeeesh. The takes, they're too hot.

I don't know what VoW all but seeing this and then you saying they're good makes me think less of you. This is a very bad series of tweets. They're literally comparing it to a public execution.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Vince MechMahon posted:

I don't know what VoW all but seeing this and then you saying they're good makes me think less of you.

:chloe:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

"I really enjoy these guys who compare a wrestling segment to watching a person be killed. Please don't think any less of me for really liking a bunch of stupid assholes."

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

MJeff posted:

How, how would the total viewership jump based on people watching along with people who were already watching the show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
the bad opinions are coming from INSIDE the thread!