Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
In a more :eng101: :science: vein, it took me several years of Latin and an entire molecular biology degree before I made the connection of:

Ad+renal=adrenal

E: adrenosnypa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The equivalent in Greek would be epi+nephros.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Comrade Fakename posted:

Kind of off-brand for the Daily Mail but still :lol:

https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1318878835052580864

e: Oops, my internet went out and it seems there were a bunch of posts I'd missed.

You literally couldn’t write this. Looking forward to Lee Mack claiming he had no idea, neither did anyone else, as all the white middle class boys who ran the show wouldn’t have ever cared to know.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Again though, how could the history channel possibly not have someone on staff who can find evidence of hitler?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I guess the people who used to pick the audience of Question Time moved to Sky History casting.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

willie_dee posted:

You literally couldn’t write this. Looking forward to Lee Mack claiming he had no idea, neither did anyone else, as all the white middle class boys who ran the show wouldn’t have ever cared to know.

I asked my friend who works in reality TV casting her opinion of the situation:

"Sack EVERYONE. How the gently caress did they miss that? BUT I will say- budget scrimping meant they probably didn’t actually background check. Or gave it to an intern to do. loving dangerous. So many loving Nazis wanting to be on TV atm."

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

willie_dee posted:

I don't really see why they'd be lying. It's an idiotic failure of their contestant screening, but the vast majority of people who are not on Twitter all the time have absolutely no idea about American neo-nazi phrase codings and I seriously doubt that they were engaged in a deliberate conspiracy to make the fascist Bake-Off.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Again though, how could the history channel possibly not have someone on staff who can find evidence of hitler?
Imagining a comedy sketch where a series of increasingly obvious Nazis appear on a tv show and the execs frantically make excuses.

"This old man from Argentina told us he was a Charlie Chaplin impersonator."

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Necrothatcher posted:

"Sack EVERYONE. How the gently caress did they miss that? BUT I will say- budget scrimping meant they probably didn’t actually background check. Or gave it to an intern to do. loving dangerous. So many loving Nazis wanting to be on TV atm."

I don't really want the inexperienced, overworked, minimum wage intern to be sacked for the gently caress up. There's no way a highly paid, experienced tellyman didn't watch and unquestioningly approve the footage before it was Tweeted.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Necrothatcher posted:

Did they foreground check? Because those tattoos are very much in the foreground

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

Imagining a comedy sketch where a series of increasingly obvious Nazis appear on a tv show and the execs frantically make excuses.

I always think of the Python sketch with Mr Hilter running in the Minehead North by-election, assisted by Mr Bimmler and Ron Vibbentropp

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

stev posted:

minimum wage intern

oh my sweet summer child

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

Some of the problem is that white supremacists are trying to co-opt so many things now that almost anything can be a flag. Which is their intent, of course; it lets them claim innocence like this, it enhances the "you're just like us" narrative and also potentially leads to innocent people being attacked as racists, pushing them into the arms of the far right who'll tell them how unjust it is.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
lmao if you think 88 as a neo-Nazi symbol is either a) new or b) obscure

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

All too plausible, considering the old story about how Chaplin entered a contest to impersonate himself and lost.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

OzyMandrill posted:

.. that's kind of the point, what with it being a time loop n' all... ;)

the other bits don't have very much going on either

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Being a bit sus about a 88 tattoo, but buying the guys story about it being about his dad isn't too bad for the overworked intern, even if it funny when the dead dad pops up very much alive.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Being a bit sus about a 88 tattoo, but buying the guys story about it being about his dad isn't too bad for the overworked intern, even if it funny when the dead dad pops up very much alive.

it's been done itt already but having the most famous nazi numerology tat of the last ~7 decades on your face, as well as a bunch more google will happily tell you are fash flags, is straight up "The Bart, The" territory

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
An intern who didn't realise this bloke was a hardcore, dues-paying racist shouldn't be working in TV so sack them and everyone who supervised them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Exited for Sky's new show about metalworkers from around the world who compete to do metalworking.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
There seems to be some confusion about our new evening programming block consisting of blade crafting competitions. When we called it 'Night of the Long Knives', we were unaware that

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

peanut- posted:

... the vast majority of people who are not on Twitter all the time have absolutely no idea about American neo-nazi phrase codings ...

This is true.

I only discovered the pepe the frog thing was some kind of neo-nazi icon a couple of years ago when a Japanese woman joined a FB group I was on for women 'of a certain age' and had the frog as her profile pic and a couple of the Americans on the group went ape-poo poo. To me, most of the Brits on the group, the group admin, and the Japanese woman, it was just a cartoon frog! Also all the 18*, 88, and so on coding, I've only really been aware of for about 5 years. Was just talking about this last night with family members - all of them completely oblivious to these things (and some of them quite 'up' in politics and so on.)

And as for them taking over the near-universal OK circled thumb and forefinger gesture, that needs to be stamped out of them - how bloody dare they!

*I knew Combat 18 was a fascist group for decades but not the significance of the 18.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Oct 21, 2020

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

It seems pretty clear that the production crew asked him about his tattoos and he said they were about his dead dad, and they left it at that. Obviously they should have done more in-depth research as a matter of course, but it's a pretty natural response for someone not steeped in arcane white-supremacist symbology, which is most people.

Anyway:

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1318884900620193792

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Exited for Sky's new show about metalworkers from around the world who compete to do metalworking.

I like the man on the left whose face says “skin head”, but he has hair.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I think it'd be one thing if it was QVC or something, but as all the History Channel seems to show is Nazi poo poo all day it seems a bit of a gently caress up really. Those who cannot learn from the History Channel are doomed to repeat it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

The equivalent in Greek would be epi+nephros.

Somehow I made that connection years earlier! Anti-Roman racism clearly

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Comrade Fakename posted:

arcane white-supremacist symbology

Julio Cruz posted:

lmao if you think 88 as a neo-Nazi symbol is either a) new or b) obscure

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I mentioned this at work earlier and none of the four people I was speaking to had any idea what 88 meant.

It's not obscure if you engage in online discourse about white supremacists. The vast majority of people in Britain do not do that and have no idea what coded symbols neo-Nazis use. Which is good! Why would we want their stupid loving codes to be common currency.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
OK cool, do your colleagues work in research/production for a history TV channel?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
No-one said the people doing checks on contestants shouldn't have caught it, they obviously should, but the idea that the host and other TV production people involved in making a reality TV show would have no idea what it actually meant is not outlandish or suspicious.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

peanut- posted:

Why would we want their stupid loving codes to be common currency.

so everyone knows who the nazis are?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Somehow I made that connection years earlier!
I wonder what it'd be called if we went the 'plain language' chemistry route like Germany did with waterstuff instead of Neoclassical obscurantist hydrogen.
"He's going into heartful stoppage, we need a hundredth of a grain of upon-the-kidney bitters!"

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

peanut- posted:

No-one said the people doing checks on contestants shouldn't have caught it, they obviously should, but the idea that the host and other TV production people involved in making a reality TV show would have no idea what it actually meant is not outlandish or suspicious.

no I'm pretty sure if you're involved in making TV shows for a history channel you should in fact know the literal first thing about Nazi symbology so you do not in fact end up "accidentally" putting a Nazi on TV

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

TheRat posted:

Did they foreground check? Because those tattoos are very much in the foreground

Forehead check.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nothing good ever comes from hiring Lee Mack. I long for a world where Would I Lie to You cast anyone else instead of him.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
literally any punk would've spotted this lad from miles away, just get some crusties doing background checks if it's that hard

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

I wonder what it'd be called if we went the 'plain language' chemistry route like Germany did with waterstuff instead of Neoclassical obscurantist hydrogen.
"He's going into heartful stoppage, we need a hundredth of a grain of upon-the-kidney bitters!"

Have you read Uncleftish Beholding?

https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/cross_fac/complexity/people/students/dtc/students2011/maitland/fun/

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

justcola posted:

I think it'd be one thing if it was QVC or something, but as all the History Channel seems to show is Nazi poo poo all day it seems a bit of a gently caress up really. Those who cannot learn from the History Channel are doomed to repeat it.

Did Nazi Aliens build the pyramids? Tune in tonight to the History channel.

It's on right after Ancient Nazi Alien Storage Wars.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I mean,

1) Does the History Channel even do history that much any more? They were making a woodworking show.

2) Even if the History Channel is still hardcore all-history-all-the-time, most TV production staff would probably still not personally need to know much about history - and the show was probably made by an outside production company. Knowledge of history is not super-relevant to making TV shows unless you're directly involved in the actual script of the show.

3) Would most historians even have reason to know about the double meaning of "88"? Do the actions of post-war neo-Nazis really impact most historical studies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

killerwhat posted:

I like the man on the left whose face says “skin head”, but he has hair.

Considering that it's a police booking photo, it probably had time to grow out.