Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
So many oil product tanks :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coke
Jul 12, 2009

MadJackal posted:

I can't imagine trying to troubleshoot later game issues that would arise from that thing.
Trouble shoot?? If we need something extra then we just built more factories of the thing we need!
Oh we are running out some other things now? keep on building more one by one until there's no trouble.

MadJackal posted:

I would absolutely run away in horror and go set up shop in the wilderness somewhere far away, sending nice straight lines of resources back to that... Rorschach test of a factory.
Ironically that's what one of the player did.
But I managed to rope his setup back into ours by building an ultra long electric and oil interconnect complete with 50+ roboports and some radars in between. Thinking that will solve everyone's supply problem.

It eventually broke everyone's robot/supply/request chest and had to be cut because who knew the robot will try to bring resources from a supply chest on one end of the map to another when everything is connected :shrug: The robots eventually ran out of power and slow down to a crawl because the limited amount of distance/charging port each roboport provides.

We did manage to launch a few rockets by ourselves with the spaghetti setup though!

coke fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Oct 19, 2020

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
A decided lack of trains and rails, which might have been the solution instead of the very unique "pathway of bot stations"

(Actually if you kept the roboports disconnected from each other you could have used buffer chests and storage chests on either side of their range to shift product across that relatively short distance, so they wouldn't poop out trying to cross the entire map to each base! Inserters to transfer from the storage chests into buffer chests of the next roboport and you would have had a really interesting transference scheme.)

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
I'd really like to be able to manually assign roboports to logistics networks, like how you can tag packets in an enterprise network with VLANS. That way I can have different robo networks in the same area so they don't interfere

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

LordAdakos posted:

I'd really like to be able to manually assign roboports to logistics networks, like how you can tag packets in an enterprise network with VLANS. That way I can have different robo networks in the same area so they don't interfere

I'm sure someone will mod it in. And then they'll add routing so you can force your bots to take a specific path between networks. Static, at first, but they're bound to add OSPF and BGP at some point.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

KillHour posted:

I'm sure someone will mod it in. And then they'll add routing so you can force your bots to take a specific path between networks. Static, at first, but they're bound to add OSPF and BGP at some point.

I demand token ring roboport topologies

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Factorio: Why not put your token ring topology in my base building simulator?

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

LordAdakos posted:

Factorio: Why not put your token ring topology in my base building simulator?

I'm still mad I had to learn token ring for CCNA.

gently caress I need to try it now...

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Horsebanger posted:

I'm still mad I had to learn token ring for CCNA.

gently caress I need to try it now...

It hasn't been on the test in at least 5 or so years fwiw

If someone implements frame really in factorio I'm going to slap the poo poo out of them though.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Renegret posted:

It hasn't been on the test in at least 5 or so years fwiw
That was at least 10 years too long.

Renegret posted:

If someone implements frame relay in factorio I'm going to slap the poo poo out of them though.
*cracks knuckles*

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
That massive line of roboports is the most criminal thing I've ever seen. You could probably implement a maglev with your repulsion from trains.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Now I want maglev train mod.
No fuel required as long as electricity to the rails are maintained!

.. until that one time you 'accidentaly' run over a key power pole with a tank and all your trains crash and burn

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

LordAdakos posted:

Now I want maglev train mod.
No fuel required as long as electricity to the rails are maintained!

.. until that one time you 'accidentaly' run over a key power pole with a tank and all your trains crash and burn

With 10x higher top speeds so you can get run over without even seeing the train that hit you

coke
Jul 12, 2009

K8.0 posted:

That massive line of roboports is the most criminal thing I've ever seen. You could probably implement a maglev with your repulsion from trains.

But all you had to do is just plop down the roboports and everything should work on it's own :shrug: vs messing around with trains, signals, load/unload stations, and risk of getting ran over.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

coke posted:

messing around with trains, signals, load/unload stations, and risk of getting ran over.

None of what you just said is a downside though?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

coke posted:

But all you had to do is just plop down the roboports and everything should work on it's own :shrug:.

It does work on its own, just very poorly.

redpleb
Feb 1, 2013
is there a good tutorial on trains that people are aware of? I tried setting up a rail network and so far I haven't figured out how to set up the rail signals and what not so that the trains can path appropriately, or at all. same thing with circuits. I tried using a circuit to turn on and off heavy oil cracking to light oil for a certain threshold and nothing I did seemed to work.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
We don't base shame in Factorio :colbert:

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

redpleb posted:

is there a good tutorial on trains that people are aware of? I tried setting up a rail network and so far I haven't figured out how to set up the rail signals and what not so that the trains can path appropriately, or at all. same thing with circuits. I tried using a circuit to turn on and off heavy oil cracking to light oil for a certain threshold and nothing I did seemed to work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co136r7pkTk

I've seen people joke about this video that it sums up Factorio - an 'absolute basics' video being over an hour long - but it just means it covers everything. It's split into segments so you can skip to the bit you're interested in.

When it came to trains I took some of what I learned about signals in that video and just used these blueprints: https://factorioprints.com/view/-Ko4Un71BhDDTUvorRv5 - does a lot of the signals for you and makes the rails line up conveniently.

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007
The more important rule of trains is chain signals before rail crossings and train signals after crossings.
I always have to learn this every time i start a game and reach trains.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I made the mistake of opening this thread and Argh

I got pretty lucky with my world gen.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The one thing I've learned (or maybe just decided upon without any real evidence) about trains is this - Never have 4-way intersections. Ever.

Edit: Oh, rule 2 - Never put two intersections close together unless you enjoy realizing your base is shut down and there are 80 trains stuck in a gridlock because your two close together intersections caused a deadlock.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'm working on a city block style base, but instead of a perfect grid of squares (with 4-way intersections) the rows are offset so every intersection is a 3-way. Like laying bricks.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
My plan for when I finally make a megabase ever is to have two differently sized square units, in a Pythagorean tesselation.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

redpleb posted:

Chain signal the entrances and regular signal the exits of intersections is the shortest tutorial on how to train. Trains will get a good bit easier to handle with next patch since some of the potential issues with clogging will be easy to alleviate with train stop reservations.

Circuits can get tremendously complicated, but for something like cracking it's very easy. Hook a wire from a heavy oil tank to a pump. Set it to heavy oil > 24k. Connect the output of the pipe to cracking. Now, any time you have >24k oil in that tank, you'll get cracking. If you hook other tanks up to the same wire/circuit network, you will have to set your number based on capacity of the group rather than the single tank.

From there you can start to expand your knowledge slowly - try hooking up a decider combinator, doing something like taking multiple conditions and outputting a single signal. You could do this to make it so that heavy oil only cracks if heavy oil > 24k AND light oil <24k. Then maybe read the wiki a bit. I don't recommend digging into any of the tutorials until you need more functionality than that, because you can do a lot of stuff and you don't want to try to learn it all at once, but an awful lot can be done by just directly connecting chests/tanks to inserters/pumps or with a single decider.

The single most valuable circuit use outside of cracking is controlling production. Put a wire between every output inserter and the chest it feeds in your mall. This way, you can do stuff like set your yellow belts to only buffer 5 belts once you're producing reds, and you don't have to cap the chest size. Then you can easily dump any spare belts into the chest - and later, logistics bots can do it for you.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

LordAdakos posted:

I want VLANs for the circuit network. Balancing production vs consumption using a pricing model would be so much easier to implement without having to worry so much about circuit segregation.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Dancer posted:

My plan for when I finally make a megabase ever is to have two differently sized square units, in a Pythagorean tesselation.

Use the smaller square for pinwheel-style rail intersections

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Kenlon posted:

I want VLANs for the circuit network. Balancing production vs consumption using a pricing model would be so much easier to implement without having to worry so much about circuit segregation.

Can you explain this post to me like I'm five years old? It sounds like a succinct way to describe a lot of information, but because I'm unfamiliar with the terms "VLAN," "pricing model," and "circuit segregation" in this context, I'm lost.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
When I brought up the whole VLAN issue I was referring to the way on .network where you can tag packets with IDs like VLAN1 or VLAN2, where VLAN is Virtual Local Area Network. This means that anything tagged with 1 will go to and interact with network 1 endpoints and routers, where anything tagged with 2 will stick with network 2.

This way you can have like two hundred computers on a network and they can be grouped by VLANs and you can't see computers on other VLANs.

I'm factorio-land that means something like
... If you have a big cross, like an X/Y axis graph of roboports . The ones on the vertical can be one network and the ones on the horizontal can be one network. That way robots and logistics on one network won't mess with robots or logistics on the other, without having to physically separate the networks.

Like, specifically, you.can have a network of bot based unloaders from trains to smelters, and then another network from.smelters to intermediate products, etc.

Idk if this helps.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

XkyRauh posted:

Can you explain this post to me like I'm five years old? It sounds like a succinct way to describe a lot of information, but because I'm unfamiliar with the terms "VLAN," "pricing model," and "circuit segregation" in this context, I'm lost.

So roboports in physical proximity network with each other, right? So what if instead of proximity, they each had a number 1-10 assigned to them, and 1s can only talk to/hear other 1s, 2s will only talk to/hear other 2s, etc? That'd be 10 VLANs. Ten separate networks, where before you could only have 1 (proximity-based).

Practically speaking, it'd mean you can allow/deny resources to different parts of your factory, without having to physically separate any roboports. Or even change those allowances/denials on the fly, based on the current situation - I'm sort of thinking the 'pricing model' mentioned would play into that

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

XkyRauh posted:

Recap of how vanilla Factorio circuits work: there are red and green colored wires, and the signals sent on red will never interact with signals on green even when they touch the same power pole or the same object. Any time two of the same color wire touch on an object, they form a bigger network. Signals on the same circuit network interact by adding. For example, if you had one chest with 100 coal attached to a red wire, and another chest with 50 coal attached to a red wire, and both red wires are connected together by more red wire, anyone reading the coal signal on that red network would see 150 coal.

Circuit segregation just means keeping your circuits from touching when they aren't supposed to. In this example, if you don't want the two coal chests to be counted together, you can either use red for one and green for the other, or you can make sure that their wires never touch. But what if you have lots of chests or other objects that you want to network together, and they're close enough that you can't reasonably keep the networks physically separate?

The analogy of a real-life VLAN to a factorio circuit is letting one wire carry several virtual colors. In this example, the first chest can be connected to a red wire and talk only on virtual color 1. The second chest can be connected to a red wire and virtual color 2. Now even if those two chests are part of the same red wire network, their values can be read separately. An object can be set to "tune in" to just one of the two colors.

I don't know what exactly they mean by pricing model, but my guess is that they would like to connect their entire base to a big circuit network, and then use combinators to decide when to produce and consume things and where to send them. VLANs would make that a lot easier, since they wouldn't have to worry as much about the wrong things adding or subtracting each others' signals.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Logistic Train Network has that for its trains, you can set up a constant combinator input into a station to tell it what network it's in.

Logistic Network Channels seems like is does the same for roboports.
https://github.com/ceresward/factorio-logiNetChannels

For circuit networks there seems to be a few "wireless" mods that mean you don't need to string wire, but unsure how they then deal with getting the correct input signal if you have three different transmitters transmitting ie. a coal-signal, and just want to act on one of them.

E: It seems like Wireless Circuit Network allows grouping recievers/transmitters into separate networks.
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Wireless_Circuit_Network

I added both to my Angelbob map, LNC has 8 networks to choose from, both roboports and logistic chests can be set to networks. WCN has arbitrary number of channels it looks like, they must be defined trough a GUI button in the top left of the screen before they can be assigned to transmitters/recievers.

Caconym fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Oct 21, 2020

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Dancer posted:

GotLag posted:

Use the smaller square for pinwheel-style rail intersections

Here's a picture of what I mean:

The variation used on the lower two intersections gives you full use of the smaller square, at the minor cost of only being able to reach the inner track from a single direction. Using that size gives you a 20x20 useable square, although without the inner ring you can compress it down to 14x14 inner size:

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Are transport drones a train replacement, or just something different to try out? I'm just getting started in a heavily modded K2+SE run and am getting to the point where I need to decide what to use for longer range transport.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It depends on what you're using them for.

If you're building a modular base with a bunch of self-contained cells, then yes they'll replace trains for moving stuff between cells. (They'll also replace bots for that job).

For moving bulk materials from a distant mining outpost to your base, you'll still find trains are superior.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Garfu posted:

Are transport drones a train replacement, or just something different to try out? I'm just getting started in a heavily modded K2+SE run and am getting to the point where I need to decide what to use for longer range transport.

I find they're best used for transporting intermediate products through your base. Basically, if it's a recipe for an item that you will later need as part of another recipe, you should make it somewhere and store it in a Storage Depot. Plates, chips, copper wire, gears, batteries, whatever.

Then, anywhere you need that thing, set up a Request Depot. If there's a long distance between the Storage and Request Depots, set up a Buffer Depot to reduce travel time.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
If IR ever gets a new release and is compatible with K2 I'm definitely going all in on transport drones with it. Minimal if any trains and no bots.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

ConfusedUs posted:

I find they're best used for transporting intermediate products through your base. Basically, if it's a recipe for an item that you will later need as part of another recipe, you should make it somewhere and store it in a Storage Depot. Plates, chips, copper wire, gears, batteries, whatever.

Then, anywhere you need that thing, set up a Request Depot. If there's a long distance between the Storage and Request Depots, set up a Buffer Depot to reduce travel time.

And the main cost of them isn't the bots themselves, but the CPU cycles it takes to use them compared to the super-optimized character of belts.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

LordAdakos posted:

Info about VLANs

Ciaphas posted:

Info about VLANs

VostokProgram posted:

Circuits primer and reminder
Thank you all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Garfu posted:

They're more like a main bus replacement, I think. Instead of a line of belts through your base carrying intermediate materials and splitters branching off materials to consumers you have a road through your base with little drones carrying intermediate materials and depots branching off materials to consumers. The drones are not very efficient at transporting bulk goods over very long distances, you still want trains there.

I've really enjoyed them in my angelbobs game because I really don't want to belt all those intermediates and I find having a road and depots much more interesting than flying robots.