Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic

Pivo posted:

Metro Exodus on the 3080 at 1440p runs at over 100fps on Ultra without DLSS and raytraced global illumination makes it probably one of the most beautiful and atmospheric games I've ever played. Switch audio to Russian for the best experience.

A+++ highly recommend

NOT HELPING. I have this downloaded and ready to play for whenever I can snag a card. Also ready to replay Control and RDR2.

My Best Buy order was updated to Nov 16, 3 days before CP2077. Fingers crossed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Is the supply chain choked or something?

I can't imagine that the demand level exceeds normal. We're on the verge of a recession ffs and people have had less money to spend since federal support ended in July. Most industries are experiencing a backlash from "no materials to make things with" to "can make things now but nobody is buying".

If this is even close to what it looks like, though, retail should be thrilled to offset losses with huge markups.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 21, 2020

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

gradenko_2000 posted:

Card Citizen

New thread title, mods.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Quad-GeForce-RTX-3090-in-a-desktop---Does-it-work-1935/

someone finally did it, quad 3090s in one system. 1714 watts from the wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvBeCSaaDxA

:sickos:

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Craptacular! posted:

Is the supply chain choked or something?

I can't imagine that the demand level exceeds normal. We're on the verge of a recession ffs and people have had less money to spend since federal support ended in July. Most industries are experiencing a backlash from "no materials to make things with" to "can make things now but nobody is buying".

If this is even close to what it looks like, though, retail should be thrilled to offset losses with huge markups.

What's actually happening is that the effects of covid have flat out exacerbated income inequality - the people with less income because of the pandemic generally were not the people buying $700 gpus to begin with. Hospitality and restaurants have been hit incredibly hard. People in higher income brackets have been able to weather the storm very effectively. A lot of them have more disposable income than before because they are now work from home and aren't commuting or going out anymore.

As I noted upthread, the demand for tech products in general is at an all time high.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Or they're like me spending saved money on dumb tech to take the edge off after 8 straight months of amped up depression.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

when they say demand is high, it's relative - i'd guess the total global demand for the Ampere cards is in the low six figures.
contrast that with say the PS5 where Sony is talking about shipping out 1X million units in the first year from launch. The Switch is probably selling through significantly higher.

i can't imagine the AIBs are happy with the amount of poo poo they're putting up dealing with low volume/low margin (relative to Turing) cards.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Craptacular! posted:

Every retailer that has made public statements has said that demand is through the roof. They were saying site traffic at launch dwarfed Black Friday traffic which was the usual yearly peak, and every site that has taken backorders has thousands of outstanding orders. Yes, demand is that high.

Obviously supply has not kept up acceptably (or at all), but trying to say "there cant be demand we're in a recession right" is really narrow-minded.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Well yeah compared to one of the major consoles a high end gaming gpu is niche as hell.

When I say demand is way higher I mean relative to what you would expect for the same product if things were normal.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Damnit CDPR, you are making me a one vendor customer. This October wave MLID promised better loving exist.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lamo at the clusterfuck that's going to be the 3070 launch

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGe3VriThqs

Tech Jesus touches on Supply/Demand issues in the first 4 mins of this, confirming that compared to 10xx and 20xx launches, Ampere had really good supply and demand still outstripped it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/21/21518320/acer-swift-3x-intel-iris-xe-max-graphics-hands-on

acer announced the first product to use a discrete intel xe gpu

it's happening

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

no shroud no purchase

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
Honestly, I find it incredible that people still are sat here underestimating the absolutely unprecidented demand for these cards. Yes, Supply seems to be low in general, but almost everyone I know who games on the PC bought in the 10xx generation, and skipped the last, and a very large amount of them (and myself for that matter) decided that this felt like the right time to upgrade. Almost everyone I game with on the regular has tried to get one, and as it stands, only myself and one other managed to get one out of a group of around 20 people. I understand that people are upset, but I went in with the mindset that I would be very lucky to get a card before the end of the year, and never set my expectations too high.

That said, the whole thing makes me appreciate how good my position in the preorder queue must have been, I was in the second wave of EVGA shipments (from Scan.co.uk) and apparently my decision to go for the FTW Ultra card was the correct one. Its looking like they are only shipping that, and a very small amount of the XC3 Ultras. I am pretty okay with having paid a price premium to get my card quickly and not have to worry about all of this stuff anymore.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I found this one in a 7/11.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Should I put my money into Star Citizen at this point? Looking for a ROI on my gaming dollars since PSUs and GPUs are out of my grasp.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Every single one of my PC gaming friends wants a 3080. I think it was a perfect storm of circumstances that led to this refugee crisis.

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

Yeah, everyone, I know who can afford a 3080 wants one. It launching 2 months before one of the most anticipated games ever probably didn't help. Still, I have a hard time believing supply isn't awful when the EVGA queue is filling so slowly and major retailers like amazon never had cards.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

VorpalFish posted:

Well yeah compared to one of the major consoles a high end gaming gpu is niche as hell.

It is, and it isn't. Microsoft's "just play our games and use Gamepass, we don't care if you use a PC or an Xbox" is a strong reason I'm not buying a Series X in addition to a 3080.

I just looked at this and according to one stat I saw, 1,000,000 2080Tis had been sold by the end of 2018. Of course that's tiny compared to the total number of XBones out there -- but that's also just one card, and the 2070 series probably sold in substantially higher numbers.

No argument that PC gaming is niche compared to consoles, but among "gamers" not so much.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 21, 2020

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Cabbages and Kings posted:

It is, and it isn't. Microsoft's "just play our games and use Gamepass, we don't care if you use a PC or an Xbox" is a strong reason I'm not buying a Series X in addition to a 3080.

I really appreciate the concept of CrossPlay, so I'm hoping this doesn't super-bite them in the rear end or anything :ohdear:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

It's funny, the first time since the OG XBOX have I been enticed to buy Microsoft's console, and it's the year they've fully gone on simultaneous releases on Windows and XBOX, negating any reason for me to get one.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

ijyt posted:

It's funny, the first time since the OG XBOX have I been enticed to buy Microsoft's console, and it's the year they've fully gone on simultaneous releases on Windows and XBOX, negating any reason for me to get one.

:same:

I was a little excited about the XBone but only for Geometry Wars. Which wasn't even an exclusive at that point. :smugdog:

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Animal posted:

Every single one of my PC gaming friends wants a 3080. I think it was a perfect storm of circumstances that led to this refugee crisis.

Same. 6 of 6 of my gaming friends are hunting for 3080's (well, 3 of 6. The other 3 are from NZ and managed to get cards already), and that's people coming from 970's, 1080Ti's, etc. The pent-up demand because of the terrible price:performance ratio of Turing is enormous.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I bought a new case/PSU/mobo so I could have room in my case for a 3080... in the process blowing my computer parts budget til mid/late November. When Black Friday will probably make them even harder to find. Have 3090’s been any easier because of the increased cost making them less attractive to scalpers?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In my very anecdotal online experience, I've had some near-misses with trying to add 3080s to cart but I don't think I've even seen a non-scalped 3090 out in the wild.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

I just looked at this and according to one stat I saw, 1,000,000 2080Tis had been sold by the end of 2018. Of course that's tiny compared to the total number of XBones out there -- but that's also just one card, and the 2070 series probably sold in substantially higher numbers.

Do you actually have a source for those sales figures? Because all I've ever been able to find is one guy snarking around about how "obviously" the 2080 Ti sold "between 100k and 1M" units by the end of 2018, which is neither a very useful figure nor does he bother to actually support it with sources or reasoning.

Not a hit at you, just pointing out that for the most part we're all just making wild guesses at figures and volume and whatnot because basically no one actually releases any solid information.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Have 3090’s been any easier because of the increased cost making them less attractive to scalpers?

Yes. I mean, it's all relative, but whereas I've repeatedly had a 3080 in my cart only to have it ripped away at the last moment as I try to spam click my way to checkout, I've seen 3090's sitting there just kinda waiting for people to buy them. They still sell out in a few minutes, but that's like 10x longer than the 3080's last. So if you want one, you still have to do the discord thing and all, but your chances of getting one are considerably higher.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

DrDork posted:

Do you actually have a source for those sales figures? Because all I've ever been able to find is one guy snarking around about how "obviously" the 2080 Ti sold "between 100k and 1M" units by the end of 2018, which is neither a very useful figure nor does he bother to actually support it with sources or reasoning.

Not a hit at you, just pointing out that for the most part we're all just making wild guesses at figures and volume and whatnot because basically no one actually releases any solid information.

To put this in context, the 2080ti launched in fall 2018 and nvidia apparently reported gross revenue under 10B for 2018. I'm very skeptical that 3 months of 2080ti sales accounted for more than 10% of nvidias gross take for the year absent a real credible source.

Edit: I guess nvidias revenue per unit was lower than retail but that still seems way high.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

So I’ve been playing death stranding and my computer is ultra silent with that game maxed out at 1440p.
But with Doom Eternal my system becomes a wind tunnel as all the case fans speed up to like 1200 RPM in sync with the U14S. For some reason it seems Doom Eternal makes my 3700X run hot. I’ve realized all the loudness from my computer comes from CPU temp sources driving up the Noctua fans and the 3080 Strix is actually a VERY quiet card. I can’t even hear the fans when they’re on.

When I say loud I don’t mean the fan motors or vibrations either. It’s literally the sound of the air. I feel like I’m riding some kind of glider or sky diving when I take my headphones off.

Should my CPU be set as the temperature source in bios for all my chassis fans? Or should the chassis fans be synced to the general system temperature which usually hovers between 30 and 40 degrees C.

I’m still trying to find my stride with these fan curves.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 21, 2020

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Here's an interesting thing I noticed about 10GB of VRAM. When you have dual monitors and / or you play in fullscreen windowed (so you can actually interact with Discord or Messenger or whatever you want to do on the second screen while gaming), desktop compositing is inevitably going to eat up some VRAM. I kept wondering why CoD: MW (yes I play Warzone obsessively with goons, so sue me) would start stuttering and lagging after a period of time, but only if my computer has been up for a while - almost never after a fresh restart. After trying lots of things (including using LatencyMon to find out that my audio drivers weren't using Message Signalled Interrupts and introducing latency with hard interrupts - try it!), I narrowed it down to the engine's target VRAM ratio. By default it targets allocating 85% of your VRAM regardless of how much it actually uses, which is set in Documents\Call of Duty Modern Warfare\players\adv_options.ini.

Anyhow. After all of that, by lowering the VideoMemoryScale to 0.55 to target ~5.5GB of VRAM allocation, all of my stutters in the game went away. Now, total VRAM allocation during gameplay doesn't exceed ~9.5GB.

This is probably going to be on a game-by-game basis, it's probably just the lovely devs overallocating by default, but it's an interesting consideration. Certainly if I had 16GB of VRAM, 85% would leave more than enough VRAM for desktop compositing + NVIDIA Broadcast + all the other stuff.

This is at 1440p, too. I don't regret getting 3080 instead of 3090 or anything like that, but I feel like the 10GB model may be shorter-lived than we might want.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

So I’ve been playing death stranding and my computer is ultra silent with that game maxed out at 1440p.
But with Doom Eternal my system becomes a wind tunnel as all the case fans speed up to like 1200 RPM in sync with the U14S. For some reason it seems Doom Eternal makes my 3700X run hot. I’ve realized all the loudness from my computer comes from CPU temp sources driving up the Noctua fans and the 3080 Strix is actually a VERY quiet card. I can’t even hear the fans when they’re on.

Tie the case fans to the gpu instead, cpu temps might not even change while gaming.

You might look into increasing the cpu fan curve too, or repasting your cpu with a thinner layer of good paste if you went with the stock stuff on your cooler.

Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Paste, 1g https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011F7W3LU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_EtgKFb1QH7QJ4

Edit: just get a $20 fan hub that supports PWM, plug all your case fans in to that. plug it into the strix

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 21, 2020

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
For what it's worth, Zotac has posted new inventory around midnight Pacific for the last couple days, and I was able to snag one a couple days ago, and a friend got one last night. Granted we're a small sample size, but I assume there're fewer people standing by to F5 vendors at that hour on a weekday, so if you have the option of being awake at that time, then you might keep on eye on the Discord or whatever tracker thingy you use.

I had to reload like 3 times to get to the checkout page without error, but it worked eventually, and I should have the card today, as long as it doesn't get stolen in transit or some poo poo.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Paul MaudDib posted:

(and no, running the PC is not a good source of heat during the winter. Electric heating is the most expensive way to heat, it is several multiples of even what it costs to heat with something expensive like propane. What you are displacing is heat that would otherwise have been generated by a cheap source of energy like natural gas or propane or fuel oil, it's not saving you as much fuel as you think it is.)

It is if your apartment is all-electric like mine! :buddy:

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

VorpalFish posted:

To put this in context, the 2080ti launched in fall 2018 and nvidia apparently reported gross revenue under 10B for 2018. I'm very skeptical that 3 months of 2080ti sales accounted for more than 10% of nvidias gross take for the year absent a real credible source.

Edit: I guess nvidias revenue per unit was lower than retail but that still seems way high.

Yeah. I mean, reports put NVidia's gaming revenue at around ~$1.2B/quarter. Of that, it seems like typically the xx80/Ti parts only account for 10% or less of that revenue (probably less). So $120M on 2080/Ti's, even on a 50/50 split (which is probably wrong--I'd bet more 2080s than Ti's were sold) at $1000/card gives 120k cards, maybe double that since NVidia's not charging their AIBs the retail price, of course.

So ~40,000 high-end cards a month when everything's up and running full blast would seem about ballpark.

If we all agree that there's easily six-figure demand, then even if there wasn't any unusual supply-side constraints, it'd easily take 3+ months of full production to meet demand. And as we know, launches aren't done at full production rates, either.

With that, I wouldn't hold out all that much hope for AMD to come swooping in with tons of inventory: they're not magically exempt from ramp-up effects, they've got a lot competing for that fab time, and they are also most likely quite time-limited here--they will need to launch ASAP in order to get as many cards sold as possible while Ampere is still super hard to find. Unless they're undercutting Ampere by $100+ (highly unlikely), their best weapon is NVidia's scarcity, and that's not gonna last forever while AMD sits back stockpiling chips or whatever.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Pivo posted:

Here's an interesting thing I noticed about 10GB of VRAM.

What you're describing here is a memory leak. It doesn't really surprise me that CoD exhibits such behavior--though they're not as bad as :dice:, at least. Your cutting down its memory allocation either is simply extending the time before you run into the leak (and stuttering) again, or managing to knock its lovely memory management down far enough that it's not loving with the rest of your system as much.

There is no reasonable way that a 1440p desktop + random non-3d stuff uses >4.5GB of VRAM, otherwise everyone running a multi-monitor setup on less than a 1080Ti would be experiencing stuttering like that left and right.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

I do plan on skipping the 4000 series, would that be enough of a reason to "wait" for a 3080 20gig?

I need 2 cards for us so I'm not very interested in getting lucky early and snatching one.

I would like to buy the card like a normal adult please.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

DrDork posted:

What you're describing here is a memory leak.

I know what a memory leak is. This is experienced with uptime of the PC, not uptime of the game client.

DrDork posted:

There is no reasonable way that a 1440p desktop + random non-3d stuff uses >4.5GB of VRAM, otherwise everyone running a multi-monitor setup on less than a 1080Ti would be experiencing stuttering like that left and right.

I don't think you're understanding. By default, it targets 85% alloc. 85% of 10GB is 8.5GB. That leaves 1.5GB for everything else. My desktop with no game running allocs ~2.5GB.

By reducing the game target to 5.5GB, this should theoretically leave 4.5GB free for everything else, and it solves the issue regardless of the uptime of the PC or the game client.

It has no impact on the game since (if the estimate in settings is to be believed), it doesn't actually need more than 4GB of VRAM. Not sure what it uses the extra heap space for.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

There's no reason to wait for 20GB in any reasonable terms, it's really just a bigger number at this point. People need to remember that the consoles are splitting the VRAM for the GPU and saving part for the OS. I forget which console (maybe both) has confirmed that 3.5GB is always reserved for running the OS and poo poo in the background, so the GPU has about 12-13GB of VRAM to use at a given time. It won't really matter whether you have 8, 10, 11, 20 or 24GB for gaming.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Fuzz posted:

New thread title, mods.

(thanks for the report)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

spunkshui posted:

Tie the case fans to the gpu instead, cpu temps might not even change while gaming.

You might look into increasing the cpu fan curve too, or repasting your cpu with a thinner layer of good paste if you went with the stock stuff on your cooler.

Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Paste, 1g https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011F7W3LU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_EtgKFb1QH7QJ4

Edit: just get a $20 fan hub that supports PWM, plug all your case fans in to that. plug it into the strix

I’m told the Noctua paste is really good though?
My CPU temps don’t exceed 65-67 degrees. It’s just I think I’m running the fans too fast.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 21, 2020