Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

me your dad posted:

Thanks - I'll keep an eye out for sales. It's good to know the cheapest models will run it. I wouldn't want to have a frustrating experience due to a lack of power.

The lack of power thing is going to be like a kindle tablet. Make sure you get the correct Apple Pencil version for the tablet you decide on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
There's tayasui sketch too as a less complex app that is still really great. Free with a 6 buck pro upgrade.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
My iPad Pro is often losing its WiFi connection. It happens every day, usually only for a few seconds, and until the pandemic I could sort of accept it. However, now I’m using the iPad quite often for Zoom calls and I will suddenly disconnect because the WiFi connection is lost.

When I google it it seems to be a fairly common problem. However, it will probably be difficult for them to recreate the problem if I hand it in for an inspection (and because of the pandemic the whole operation would be a bit of a hassle): Is there any hope or do I just have to live with it? I’ve reset everything including the router multiple times and the iPad is the only device with this problem.

Xabi fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 18, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

DangerZoneDelux posted:

The lack of power thing is going to be like a kindle tablet. Make sure you get the correct Apple Pencil version for the tablet you decide on

which is really unfortunate because the first ones were like, super capable with ridiculous screens

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Xabi posted:

My iPad Pro is often losing its WiFi connection. It happens every day, usually only for a few seconds, and until the pandemic I could sort of accept it. However, now I’m using the iPad quite often for Zoom calls and I will suddenly disconnect because the WiFi connection is lost.

When I google it it seems to be a fairly common problem. However, it will probably be difficult for them to recreate the problem if I hand it in for an inspection (and because of the pandemic the whole operation would be a bit of a hassle): Is there any hope or do I just have to live with it? I’ve reset everything including the router multiple times and the iPad is the only device with this problem.

Can you check the console log hooked up to a Mac? I had something similar happening on my iPad but it only happened while my laptop was backing up over WiFi at the same time.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I’m not quite sure what that means?

It happens everywhere, not just at home, so I don’t think a Mac backup in the background is the cause.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I think they’re saying a network backup or something saturating/using up all bandwidth on the wireless access point may cause odd disconnects

GlobalMegaCorp
Jan 8, 2004

Anyone have experience trying to get a repair / replacement through Best Buy as an authorized apple service center? My almost one year old iPad Pro has constant phantom touches. I’d rather go through an actual Apple store, but it’s basically been booked constantly since COVID.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

GlobalMegaCorp posted:

Anyone have experience trying to get a repair / replacement through Best Buy as an authorized apple service center? My almost one year old iPad Pro has constant phantom touches. I’d rather go through an actual Apple store, but it’s basically been booked constantly since COVID.

Best buy will probably mail it in so just do a mail service yourself. Call or start the service using the Apple Support app

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
For what it’s worth, I had my Apple Watch repaired through a Best Buy (swelling battery).

It probably took a few days longer than if I did it through an Apple Store but it still came back all repaired.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Thwomp posted:

For what it’s worth, I had my Apple Watch repaired through a Best Buy (swelling battery).

It probably took a few days longer than if I did it through an Apple Store but it still came back all repaired.

They sent it off to a repair center. Watch repair isn’t even done at an Apple store either. So yeah just do mail service

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Thwomp posted:

Best Buy almost certainly didn't repair it. They shipped it to an Apple repair depot. It took longer because BB was the middle man.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

GlobalMegaCorp posted:

One thing that can speed up the process is backing up, erasing, then restoring as new to see if the phantom touch happens, which it almost certainly will THEN calling AppleCare (or use the support app)

No idea if BB does swaps like an Apple store, but you can get a new one overnighted if you have AppleCare on it or do the usual mail in/mail back if not.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

the mail-in repair service is extremely fast imo. i've sent stuff in from canada (goes to the same place in the us) on a weds or thurs and had it back on like monday.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight
So my 12.9 Pro is coming today to replace my 6th Gen iPad...

I rarely very use my Pencil but I do sometimes, I can't cobble together a USB-C=>=Lighting=<=Pencil connection to pair it, right?

I suspect the answer is obviously no but grrrrrr...

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Three Olives posted:

I rarely very use my Pencil but I do sometimes, I can't cobble together a USB-C=>=Lighting=<=Pencil connection to pair it, right?

Amazon is littered with third party Apple Pencil adapters for charging Gen 1 pencils. Anything from actual charging cables to adapters that connect a USB-C cable to Gen 1 pencil. They are all by companies that you never heard of though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Three Olives posted:

Are you trying to use a Pencil 1 on an iPad Pro with Pencil 2 support? Yeah, I don't think that's going to happen.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Just buy the V2 pencil. It’s so much better than the original.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

So I have my new Pro, the thing unwieldy in a way that my MacBook Air somehow doesn't? Is that just a weird feeling from using smaller iPads for years or has anyone here gone down from the 12.9 because of the size?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Three Olives posted:

So I have my new Pro, the thing unwieldy in a way that my MacBook Air somehow doesn't? Is that just a weird feeling from using smaller iPads for years or has anyone here gone down from the 12.9 because of the size?

Your MacBook is bottom-heavy, while your iPad Pro is top-heavy. Makes a big difference.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Three Olives posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDzR5Dj0IIQ

It doesn't work, and you can't gadget it into working.

It sucks to be out another hundred-something dollars BUT as posters above mentioned the new one is so convenient to store and easy to charge that hopefully it soothes your bruised wallet.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 21, 2020

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Three Olives posted:

Normally I use an 11” pro and felt it was an awesome size. I found out my insurance would replace my wife’s water damaged 2nd gen 12.9” pro for $50. I figured that I would just use it to watch videos but omg I love the size of this thing. It’s replaced my more modern 11” just because I feel like I can do so much more with the large screen. I’m not using a case other than a tempered glass screen protector. Without a case it’s super portable. It feels good in my hand and lays flat very well for my note taking. I do miss having a keyboard case when I need to write a long post, but you can’t find any good ones for this old model anyway.

Probably the only thing I dislike is having to use the first gen Apple Pencil. It’s so inferior compared to the newest one.

My 11” with the Logitech keyboard came weighs 1.04 KG. The 12.9 is .77 KG naked. The weight makes all the difference!

For watching content I just use one of those wooden IKEA tablet wood blocks.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Crayvex posted:

Normally I use an 11” pro and felt it was an awesome size. I found out my insurance would replace my wife’s water damaged 2nd gen 12.9” pro for $50. I figured that I would just use it to watch videos but omg I love the size of this thing. It’s replaced my more modern 11” just because I feel like I can do so much more with the large screen. I’m not using a case other than a tempered glass screen protector. Without a case it’s super portable. It feels good in my hand and lays flat very well for my note taking. I do miss having a keyboard case when I need to write a long post, but you can’t find any good ones for this old model anyway.

Probably the only thing I dislike is having to use the first gen Apple Pencil. It’s so inferior compared to the newest one.

My 11” with the Logitech keyboard came weighs 1.04 KG. The 12.9 is .77 KG naked. The weight makes all the difference!

For watching content I just use one of those wooden IKEA tablet wood blocks.

I get the appeal of a protector but don’t they sell any with anti reflective coatings? it looks like a pain to use

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Martytoof posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDzR5Dj0IIQ

It doesn't work, and you can't gadget it into working.

It sucks to be out another hundred-something dollars BUT as posters above mentioned the new one is so convenient to store and easy to charge that hopefully it soothes your bruised wallet.

It's not like you can't resell the old Pencil. It's still used on the basic iPad, plus older Air and Pro models for people still on those (like me).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Looks like the iPad Air 4 pre-orders are going out soon

If you buy now, they won't arrive until first week of November

Pretty garbage October roll out, I needed a USB-C iPad by the end of the month, I guess we're stuck buying the pro instead

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Pretty garbage October roll out, I needed a USB-C iPad by the end of the month, I guess we're stuck buying the pro instead

depending on how much effort you wish to exert you might have better luck with a local store, especially if you have an apple store around

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

mediaphage posted:

I get the appeal of a protector but don’t they sell any with anti reflective coatings? it looks like a pain to use

It’s not that bad, but when this one gets chipped I’ll try to find a less reflective one.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

is there a good wide slanted stand i can use with my ipad pro for desk + stylus work?
a lot of the stuff online is just for watching stuff, not so much writing

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Has anyone ever pre-ordered an iPad or such off Amazon? They have the release date down as this Friday as expected, and I pre-ordered an Air through them, but my order still says pending and no delivery date available.

So I’m wondering what the likelihood of getting it on Friday is.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

shrike82 posted:

is there a good wide slanted stand i can use with my ipad pro for desk + stylus work?

I’ve been using this one to draw on my 12.9” iPad Pro since about April.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KTDF9K8/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_sepKFbVNNX1H8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
No frills, but it’s at a good angle(for me) for drawing.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

shrike82 posted:

Will the trifold cases not work?

I've been using basically commodity cases of this type for multiple iPads. The ones with plastic shells on the back I think are generally terrible but there are ones that surround the entire back, sides and front top edge with a thick, rubber/silicone like material. You can flip the front all the way back flat or fold it in a triangle for angling on a desk for typing/drawing or upright for media.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

honestly if i Ned a shallow angle for sketching, i just use a small pillow, or my sweater, or something :v

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Honestly, you can probably walk into a Best Buy on Friday and leave with one. iPads generally don't sell like crazy.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I've learned this week that you don't buy the smallest iPad for people pushing 60, who knew?

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

Has it ever been detailed how fast the usb-c out on the iPad Pro is? Is this capable of fast charging an iPhone?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

mediaphage posted:

depending on how much effort you wish to exert you might have better luck with a local store, especially if you have an apple store around

I don't think we're going into a store until next summer

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Honestly, you can probably walk into a Best Buy on Friday and leave with one. iPads generally don't sell like crazy.

I would note, this is true, but asterisk of pre Covid. A ton of iPads were back ordered off and on for 2020 because of all the work and school at home.

No idea how that affects the new Air launch.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Hadlock posted:

I don't think we're going into a store until next summer

what kind of local store isn’t supporting either delivery or curbside pickup?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I literally would not know, the only in person shopping I've done since third week of February is the grocery store, but I don't want to get stuck on some covid tangent

Ended up ordering one on the apple website, we're gonna just limp along on some poo poo tier Amazon tablet from 2014 or whatever until it arrives in the second half of November

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I mean Best Buy has them for shipping by Tuesday right now if you don’t want to wait several weeks.

Apple retail has worse stock and longer shipping times on new products at launch from what I’ve seen.