Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Comrade Fakename posted:

Why would you expect the vast majority of people to have learned history beyond that?

For most people in the UK, history goes like this:

Now times

The Beatles and the Swinging Sixties

WW2!!!!! :circlefap: :hitler: :britain: :britain: :britain: :circlefap:

???

WW1, Queen Victoria and the British Empire!

???
???
???

The Tudors!

???
???
???
???
???

Caveman times, probably?

In the year 263, England was part of the Roman Empire, an earlier name for the EU.

Pistol_Pete fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
no, history did not exist before 1066 and also the Brits did nothing wrong ever (at least that's what I was taught in school)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lobster God posted:

https://twitter.com/BBradley_Mans/status/1317896883784777734?s=19

Nothing to see here, just a Tory MP spreadimg an anti-semitic conspiracy theory.

He's getting ratioed to gently caress and every comment is "this is an anti-Semitic CT @boardofdeputies".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lobster God posted:

Nothing to see here, just a Tory MP spreadimg an anti-semitic conspiracy theory.
He worries a lot about 'working class' opportunities for someone who rejects class analysis, I do hope it's not just as an excuse to be racist and sexist when talking about the 'real disadvantaged'.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Comrade Fakename posted:

I mean,

1) Does the History Channel even do history that much any more? They were making a woodworking show.

2) Even if the History Channel is still hardcore all-history-all-the-time, most TV production staff would probably still not personally need to know much about history - and the show was probably made by an outside production company. Knowledge of history is not super-relevant to making TV shows unless you're directly involved in the actual script of the show.

3) Would most historians even have reason to know about the double meaning of "88"? Do the actions of post-war neo-Nazis really impact most historical studies?

Literally one of their most famous shows is about people looking for highly dubious evidence of hitler all over the planet and finding it, so it's very funny when the only place they can't find hitler is on the neo nazi's face tattoos.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Literally one of their most famous shows is about people looking for highly dubious evidence of hitler all over the planet and finding it, so it's very funny when the only place they can't find hitler is on the neo nazi's face tattoos.

As his dad was apparently dead and later recovered, have we ruled out the possibility that he was actually an alien with regeneration powers?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Comrade Fakename posted:

Mate we were talking about TV production staff. Maybe, for the History Channel some of them are historians, or at least that was suggested. Personally I don't see why a historian would be necessary for a show about woodworking.

I mean you're the one that brought historians up, though it doesn't seem to be working out for you too well so I understand why you might want to pretend you didn't

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Oh, it's definitely very funny.

Julio Cruz posted:

I mean you're the one that brought historians up, though it doesn't seem to be working out for you too well so I understand why you might want to pretend you didn't

I felt it was implied by people being adamant that people working for the History Channel should know about this stuff. I'm doing fine though, thanks.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
88 being a Nazi thing is not that arcane a piece of knowledge to have. You don’t have to be terminally online to know one of the single most famous Nazi symbols in modern history.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

justcola posted:

I thought just being on the internet for longer than 5 minutes would show you enough obscure references (to Nazism) you might look into it. Even just googling 'common nazi symbols' brings up a bunch of stuff. It'd be like if they did a show about chasing tornadoes called Stormfront.

Be right back, writing a quick pitch to The History Channel.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The only time I've heard that word in English-speaking media is Nazis surrendering to Good Guys so that's a fash connotation I'm fine with.

This has just reminded me of the Tweet (?) of the right-wing guy saying "I want to name my child Conrad after my grandad but that's what commies call each other, what do I do?"

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

stev posted:

Why is a show about woodworking on the history channel anyway?

Here's their programme schedule for today:

History Channel posted:

12:00 am
Mountain Men

01:00 am
The UnXplained With William Shatner

02:00 am
American Pickers

03:00 am
Mountain Men

04:00 am
Storage Wars

04:30 am
Storage Wars

05:00 am
Pawn Stars

06:00 am
Empires Of Blood

07:00 am
American Pickers

08:00 am
Pawn Stars

09:00 am
Ancient Aliens: The Ultimate Evidence

10:00 am
Storage Wars

10:30 am
Storage Wars

11:00 am

12:00 pm
The Strongest Man In History

1:00 pm
Forged in Fire

2:00 pm
American Pickers

3:00 pm
Storage Wars

3:30 pm
Storage Wars

4:00 pm
Pawn Stars

5:00 pm
Empires Of Blood

6:00 pm
Mountain Men

7:00 pm
Forged in Fire

8:00 pm

9:00 pm
Mountain Men

10:00 pm
Swamp People

11:00 pm
Kings Of Pain

That's two episodes of an actual history programme in the entire day. If they don't know anything about history presumably it's because they're watching their own channel.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Quinton Reviews does some good videos about the history channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc3vt1Gqrn4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maeO6Isb_So

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

If nothing else this makes me mightily fear the coming of (s)he whom is called “atomclefter”.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

escapegoat posted:

Simplified schedule:

12:00 am
Unusual Location Mans

01:00 am
:ghost:

02:00 am
Get Rich From Tat

03:00 am
Unusual Location Mans

04:00 am
Get Rich From Tat

04:30 am
Get Rich From Tat

05:00 am
Get Rich From Tat

06:00 am
Empires Of Blood

07:00 am
Get Rich From Tat

08:00 am
Get Rich From Tat

09:00 am

10:00 am
Get Rich From Tat

10:30 am
Get Rich From Tat

11:00 am

12:00 pm
The Strongest Man In History

1:00 pm
People Jobs

2:00 pm
Get Rich From Tat

3:00 pm
Get Rich From Tat

3:30 pm
Get Rich From Tat

4:00 pm
Get Rich From Tat

5:00 pm
Empires Of Blood

6:00 pm
Unusual Location Mans

7:00 pm
People Jobs

8:00 pm

9:00 pm
Unusual Location Mans

10:00 pm
Unusual Location Mans

11:00 pm
Kings Of Pain

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

StarkingBarfish posted:

This. FB is now just the boomer panopticon and it's incredibly grim.

Not pure boomer: my wife was born in late 70s and i was just a few years later in early 80s and our attitude to FB is night and day; I won’t touch it and she can’t stop checking it. Every gen X v Millenial stereotype holds true for us, it’s mildly alarming.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Beefeater1980 posted:

Not pure boomer: my wife was born in late 70s and i was just a few years later in early 80s and our attitude to FB is night and day; I won’t touch it and she can’t stop checking it. Every gen X v Millenial stereotype holds true for us, it’s mildly alarming.

If you only use FB on a browser, the FBPurity extension can be an absolute god-send for cleaning up the majority of crap on there

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

Where are you trying to get to with this? Like, are we meant to accept they actually did know and it was a cynical Sky history channel plot to beam Darren the west country Nazi into the nation's living rooms?

I just don't really follow what you're trying to prove.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

escapegoat posted:

That's two episodes of an actual history programme in the entire day. If they don't know anything about history presumably it's because they're watching their own channel.

:suicide:

It's times like this I really resent paying for Sky.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

peanut- posted:

a cynical Sky history channel plot to beam Darren the west country Nazi into the nation's living rooms?

That would actually be fairly on brand for history channel programming. They have some real loving weirdos on.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Angela Raynor is trending because she called a Tory MP scum in the chamber lol.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I feel I have a better understanding of Tik Tok than facebook, as I don't see any reason why you'd use the latter nowadays. Just full of absolute garbage, even the Daily Mail is more left wing than half the poo poo on there.

As Liverpool, Lancashire, Manchester and now Sheffield are on Tier 3 lockdown, are the government just moving left to right on a map of the North deciding where goes into lockdown next? A lot of the comments by MPs and Mayors remind me a bit how nobody really said anything in the last ten years of austerity, but now that BUSINESS is under the boot and they can't get a rent holiday or afford anything, this seems a step too far for some.

Nothing will happen of course. Yorkshire next, then onto the next map; Birmingham, Leicester and the mysterious 'East Midlands'.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

peanut- posted:

Where are you trying to get to with this? Like, are we meant to accept they actually did know and it was a cynical Sky history channel plot to beam Darren the west country Nazi into the nation's living rooms?

Don’t rule out the possibility that the win for the nazis is “evidence of left wingers destroying our traditional open culture with their intolerance (of massive loving nazis but they’re confident the news won’t present it that way).”

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

jabby posted:

Angela Raynor is trending because she called a Tory MP scum in the chamber lol.

And she got a far worse bollocking for that than any Tory has gotten since Bercow left. :(

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/angela-rayner-tory-mp-labour-christopher-clarkson-manchester-deputy-leader-scum-b1205749.html

Watch Angela Rayner get loving sacked over this latest confected outrage

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Can you sack someone elected by the membership?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Lobster God posted:

this is extremely mainstream british ideology now

though it would be funny to ask him what cultural marxism was in the 20th century

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Faust Eric wasn't especially good either. Structurally it's The Colour of Magic/The Light Fantastic but without the benefit of the doubt. I found it impossible to care about any of the Hell stuff.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Brexit/status/1318917177475551232

Someone has glanced at the US election polls and realised basing our negotiating position of "We can tear up the GFA, also the Yanks will bail us out" wasn't that solid.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Dabir posted:

Faust Eric wasn't especially good either. Structurally it's The Colour of Magic/The Light Fantastic but without the benefit of the doubt. I found it impossible to care about any of the Hell stuff.

Yeah but without it we would never have known that the key piece of knowledge about drinking from the fountain of youth is to boil it first.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Dabir posted:

TBF though the dude turned out 30-odd books - if I do 30 posts and only 2 of them are "meh" I'm loving *overjoyed* at that strike rate.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

peanut- posted:

honestly it wouldn't surprise me if one of Darren's fash mates got him the gig, being on a show like this is very much a function of who you know because it's not like there's a national directory of woodworkers the producers are picking randomly from

but mainly my point is that no, it's not that difficult or unusual to know what 88 tattooed onto someone's face is, however much you want to shout "terminally online" over and over

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

AOC is apparently getting the full "you're not poor, you have a fridge computer" treatment, which is proving about as effective as you'd imagine.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Effective, but along partisan lines?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/Brexit/status/1318917177475551232

Someone has glanced at the US election polls and realised basing our negotiating position of "We can tear up the GFA, also the Yanks will bail us out" wasn't that solid.

EU concedes further victory to bojo

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

AOC is apparently getting the full "you're not poor, you have a fridge computer" treatment, which is proving about as effective as you'd imagine.

I think you're thinking of Ilhan Omar who tweeted a picture of herself playing Among Us on a sweet gaming rig (that belonged to her comms director).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I mean, they've been on a Congress salary for nearly two years now so I imagine they can afford pretty decent rigs.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
death is certain

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1318940444949139456

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

stev posted:

I mean, they've been on a Congress salary for nearly two years now so I imagine they can afford pretty decent rigs.

The PC Master Race slowly claws its way into power.

Apparently this polling was from before this Manchester shitshow thing. Still, yeah, bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
It's important to remember that any other Labour leader would be 20 points ahead