Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

sourdough posted:

lol yeeeah this'll be a common occurrence, wonder if it'll reach -gate levels

I feel like the type of person who is buying a MagSafe is already in enough to be putting up with level of that ol’ Apple bravery. Most people who buy the phone are just going to use the charger they got at the gas station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

this is old but goes to show that there is diminishing returns on power adapters.

https://www.macworld.com/article/3236904/iphone-power-adapters.html

if you dont already have 18W chargers but do have 12w ipad chargers, then you are still getting a pretty fast charge to 50% (45min)

absolutely if you need 50% in 30min then get a 20W or better charger, but like I said, all of your USB-A power adapters and lightning cables will still give you a decently quick 50% charge and, at the long end of the scale, you are 12w charger is only 20min behind on a full charge over the course of 2hrs.

generally it is better for your battery to be charged at a lower wattage, but the charging circuit should also be capable of monitoring battery health during thecharge and tapering off (they can handle a big dump of power when empty and as resistance/heat goes up they dial it back)

I tend to stick my phone on a 5W charger over night and use the 12w charger when i need quick juice before heading out.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Apple has pretty good charging logic though, so don't worry about slow charging overnight too much. It won't top off to 100% until a while before it thinks you'll unplug it. It doesn't hurt anything to be careful though of course.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Oh yeah I mean just for those min/maxers out there hoping to eek an extra few months of use out of their aging phones or whatever, sticking to low wattage charging is long term better for the battery.

You can probably charge a phone at 100w just fine a handful of times before the battery is hosed.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Maneki Neko posted:

The lidar on the Pro is the only thing making me rethink things after seeing some of the neat "room scanning to floor plan" apps :(
I think there's apps that can map with dual cameras but the lidar gives more accuracy, like I vaguely remember one of the first apps that did it was adding the lidar support to an existing app.

...but yeah I want lidar for mapping/scanning stuff, along with the low light focusing.

enojy posted:

Oh yea, I just opted for the XR-sized 11, whose measurements are deceptively larger in the hand when compared to X/XS/11Pro. It's subjective of course, but for me, it was the tiny difference between "fits in one hand" and unwieldy.

The 12 and 12 Pro are both erring closer to this larger size, so the Mini is really the only attractive choice to me this time around. That's fine with me!
The 12 is actually closer to the X/11 Pro size rather than XR/11, and the reviews I've seen mention it feeling that way in hand cause the similar width, just slightly taller.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’m waiting the mini so imagine how I feel!
I'm also waiting on the mini, while my old SE is surviving on like 2 hours of battery life :negative:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Rick posted:

Most people who buy the phone are just going to use the charger they got at the gas station.

Please don't remind me of this. Whenever I go to my dad's theres always an abundance of lightning cables and wall plugs, but they're always of dubious quality.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Laserface posted:

Oh yeah I mean just for those min/maxers out there hoping to eek an extra few months of use out of their aging phones or whatever, sticking to low wattage charging is long term better for the battery.

You can probably charge a phone at 100w just fine a handful of times before the battery is hosed.

I just use low wattage chargers because they're cheap.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I still have a 5W legit white charger that says "iPod Charger" on it and I think it must be from my old iPod Video.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

grahm posted:

I would agree except the Pro gets ProRAW for photos, and the 12 does not. This is annoying to me because I imagine this is just a software difference to get people to step up to the Pro. Mission accomplished! "Who knows" how useful this will actually be, but I've wanted the ability to edit iPhone photos in a RAW-like manner for as long as their HDR has been pretty good, so for that reason alone I guess I'm spending the extra $150. This is definitely a "me" thing though — for most people who are not used to editing RAW photos (I do it for my job) I agree that the 12 feels like the sweet spot.

Also I hate that only the Max gets the better camera. I don't think I'm willing to live with that big of a phone, even if the camera does end up being noticeably better.

If Raw is your biggest issue why not just pickup Halide and take pictures in Raw on any phone? Hell, it works on my 7+

7 bucks instead of $150

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Rick posted:

I feel like the type of person who is buying a MagSafe is already in enough to be putting up with level of that ol’ Apple bravery. Most people who buy the phone are just going to use the charger they got at the gas station.

Most people who buy the phone are just going to use their existing USB-A chargers with their existing USB-A Lightning cables and leave the USB-C Lightning cable in the box or stuffed in a drawer somewhere and not notice the slower charging because they all plug their phones in when they’re sleeping.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Isn’t there an issue that super fast recharging hurts battery health? I assume the 18W that Apple has settled on for MagSafe is fine, but you see some of this stuff like Xiaomi saying 50% charge in 8 minutes and it’s like if you had a 50% discharge in 8 minutes, that wouldn’t be healthy now would it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yes, higher power charging is definitely bad for long-term battery health.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I have put zero thought into charging my iPhone over the last 4 years, and its battery health reports at 91%, fwiw.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Toe Rag posted:

I have put zero thought into charging my iPhone over the last 4 years, and its battery health reports at 91%, fwiw.
I’ve been using this XS for 13 months and it’s at 85% health. Lots of use during lockdown of course.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The UPS reference number thing isn't working for Canada this year. Lame, I want to play the staring at tracking game.

japtor posted:

I think there's apps that can map with dual cameras but the lidar gives more accuracy, like I vaguely remember one of the first apps that did it was adding the lidar support to an existing app.

...but yeah I want lidar for mapping/scanning stuff, along with the low light focusing.

Yeah if you look on the app store some of those 3d scanning apps have been up there for years, well before any products had Lidar. They just added the supprt in.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

drat, I don't know what y'all are doing to your phones.

Release day XS MAX

I'd say I'm a pretty moderate user. Regular Music/Podcast usage. Maps usage maybe once a week (way more in the Before Times). Some lightweight games (mostly word and number puzzles). Photo stuff. Lots of messaging via Messages/Slack/Signal. Health monitoring via BT enabled gear and Apple Watch. Mail/calendar/Todo lists.

However, I don't use it to consume video.

Aphrodite posted:

The UPS reference number thing isn't working for Canada this year. Lame, I want to play the staring at tracking game.

My order hasn't even budged from "Preparing to ship", but I still show a delivery date of Friday. I probably won't see movement until tomorrow since I've usually received my stuff via FedEx next day from Apple.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 21, 2020

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Based on my anecdotal experience since they put the battery health feature in, the best way to preserve battery health is to keep the thing plugged into a wall. This should be no surprise, as the number of drain/charge cycles is what wears the battery out. We have a first gen iPad Air that has spent almost its entire life sitting on a table streaming video while plugged in and it's still reporting 98% battery health.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

My order hasn't even budged from "Preparing to ship", but I still show a delivery date of Friday. I probably won't see movement until tomorrow since I've usually received my stuff via FedEx next day from Apple.

Yeah there's no actual worry about it being late it was just always interesting to see the flights travel from China, to Anchorage, to Chicago, Louisville etc.

If you're in the US, you can go to UPS track by reference and put in your 10 digit phone number as the reference. Apple doesn't send you anything until your phone is in the country but the tracking that way started days ago.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I got an 8 when it came out and it’s at 85% health. I just put it on a Samsung Qi charger at night and CarPlay on my 30 min commute.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

5G: battery murderer

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/iphone-12-battery-life-results-are-in-and-theyre-not-great

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Just treated myself to some AirPods Pro in the hope that the ANC means I can keep it quieter and not be deaf by the time I’m 50.

What’s the deal with Spatial Audio? Apparently it doesn’t work on the 10.5” iPad Pro in general but also I guess doesn’t do anything in any apps on my XS from what I can see?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Yeah, easy decision to just turn 5G off. Also (1) no high refresh rate displays makes more sense and (2) I'm slightly nervous for the mini's battery life now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Question Mark Mound posted:

What’s the deal with Spatial Audio? Apparently it doesn’t work on the 10.5” iPad Pro in general but also I guess doesn’t do anything in any apps on my XS from what I can see?

It's a cool tech gimmick that's ultimately useless and only works in apps that have specifically updated to support it. I only got it to work with apple's TV app, but that was when the feature was enabled and I haven't kept up on if anyone else updated their apps to support it.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

xzzy posted:

It's a cool tech gimmick that's ultimately useless and only works in apps that have specifically updated to support it. I only got it to work with apple's TV app, but that was when the feature was enabled and I haven't kept up on if anyone else updated their apps to support it.

Nope, it will be a basically dead feature.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

do we know yet whether there's a setting for "never use 5g, just turn it off completely and don't turn it on ever no matter where i am or what my carrier says"

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Weedle posted:

do we know yet whether there's a setting for "never use 5g, just turn it off completely and don't turn it on ever no matter where i am or what my carrier says"

Yes, you can turn it off manually.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

xzzy posted:

It’s so weird that something whose whole gimmick is that it’s meant to sound like the music is coming from the device’s location isn’t a system-wide thing baked into the OS. :(

Weedle
May 31, 2006

It’s so weird that something whose whole gimmick is that it’s meant to sound like the music is coming from the device’s location isn’t a system-wide thing baked into the OS. :(

wait. why do they need a software feature to make it sound like audio coming out of the phone is coming from... where the phone is... i am so confused

sourdough posted:

The audio is coming out of your airpod pros...unless this is some other feature?

oh i guess i could have googled it instead of :justpost:ing like a loving idiot

Weedle fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 21, 2020

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Weedle posted:

wait. why do they need a software feature to make it sound like audio coming out of the phone is coming from... where the phone is... i am so confused

The audio is coming out of your airpod pros...unless this is some other feature?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

lol one of those gets almost 2 hours more battery than the pro over 5G. Are they all using the same 5G tech? Wouldn't that matter? I didn't read the entire article. :(

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Thats fine ill take that beefy 4G battery life on the Pro and not worry about 5G since i spend all day inside with wifi

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I think 9+ hours of CONSTANT 5G use is long enough between charges. I ain't mad.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Good thing there's no 5G around me.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

vyst posted:

Thats fine ill take that beefy 4G battery life on the Pro and not worry about 5G since i spend all day inside with wifi

I hope the “smart” feature also disables it when on WiFi.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

I hope the “smart” feature also disables it when on WiFi.

Have you ever had the 4G antenna turn on when on WiFi lol.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

Just treated myself to some AirPods Pro in the hope that the ANC means I can keep it quieter and not be deaf by the time I’m 50.

I just got some AirPods Pro and spatial audio is hard to explain but extremely cool. Turning your head changes how loud/quiet each AirPod is—that part is a gimmick. But the surround sound is impressive and provides noticeable depth to the audio.

As far as I can tell though it’s limited to Apple TV+ content, and maybe stuff you purchase/rent from iTunes.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

The biggest battery drain I experience is while riding down the freeway, as a passenger, using my phone, especially if using navigation. Is this because at +70mph I’m rapidly bouncing from tower to tower? Does 5G make this better?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Toe Rag posted:

The biggest battery drain I experience is while riding down the freeway, as a passenger, using my phone, especially if using navigation. Is this because at +70mph I’m rapidly bouncing from tower to tower? Does 5G make this better?

Yeah, it's both your rapid change in positioning to the tower you're connected to *and* roaming to a new tower.

And no, 5G will not improve this. My understanding is the tower density is greater and roaming will occur more often when moving. And just using 5G in general is bigger drain.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Toe Rag posted:

IIRC 5g wont help with range to towers, it's mostly focused on raw speed and throughput/capacity (so like using it at an NFL stadium or something)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

GhostOfTomNook posted:

I just got some AirPods Pro and spatial audio is hard to explain but extremely cool. Turning your head changes how loud/quiet each AirPod is—that part is a gimmick. But the surround sound is impressive and provides noticeable depth to the audio.

As far as I can tell though it’s limited to Apple TV+ content, and maybe stuff you purchase/rent from iTunes.

So let me get this straight, Spatial Audio makes it seem like the audio is coming out of a device somewhere else in the room, instead of just playing it normally through the headphones?

That sounds incredibly stupid.

e: Oh I googled it, it's Dolby Atmos/headphone surround sound but Apple, okay.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 21, 2020