Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1318948483475398656

https://twitter.com/MarcusRashford/status/1318952661488721920

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

TBF though the dude turned out 30-odd books - if I do 30 posts and only 2 of them are "meh" I'm loving *overjoyed* at that strike rate.

41 just in Discworld, thank you very much. I'm starting on the tenth right now, so far I'd consider four of them solidly skippable.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Don't be so negative.

It just means electoralism is doomed.

Also (and somehow not contrary to what I've just said) -

peanut- posted:

It's important to remember that any other Labour leader would be 20 points ahead

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Jesus christ almighty https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1318947095412355081

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"so imagine how much worse it is now", right?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

"More people are so crushingly poor that our system recognises them to be entitled to the small provisions we offer" seems like it's a thing a cartoon villain would say

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
This entire Free School Meals controversy feels like a clearly marked open manhole that the tories continue to stoicly march into.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

JustaDamnFool posted:

This entire Free School Meals controversy feels like a clearly marked open manhole that the tories continue to stoicly march into.

And it's not even that expensive in the grand scheme of things

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JustaDamnFool posted:

And keep going up in the polls somehow.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I enjoy the idea that the conservatives' best defence is "we can't be better than labour at anything"

And their voters apparently also agree.

Really struggling to move away from my hypothesis that tories just think pain and suffering is good.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

JustaDamnFool posted:

Well from their perspective almost no one is criticising them let alone stopping them from doing anything they don't want to - why stop now?

The answer to the question is usually "Because serious rioting and uprisings start kicking off from all the problems you create and visibly don't fix." so that'll be pretty loving cool.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

"its not the governments job to stop you dying" is a long held belief in britain and has morphed over the years into "its immoral for the government to stop you from dying because then you wont learn a lesson"
its pretty much the fundamental divide between labour and the tories, even the blairites

so yeah it doesn't faze their base much, and the "this did happen under a labour government y'know!" is a good enough gotcha, even though the obvious argument is "we weren't in a one in a century pandemic"

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

lol just got this email from Sadiq:

quote:

Dear Comrade Fakename,

The Tory Government is punishing Londoners for doing the right thing to tackle Covid-19.

Transport for London's fares income has fallen by 70% because Londoners have done the right thing, followed the rules and stayed at home. The same thing has happened to the failing private rail companies — yet the Tory Government has given them an 18-month, blank-cheque bailout with no strings attached.

But the Tories are determined to single out London for punishment because they don't like our city, our values or our way of life. In exchange for the money TfL needs to keep running Tube and bus services, the Government wants to increase Londoners' fares by more than national rail fares, introduce new taxes on Londoners, radically increase the size of the £15 congestion charge area at the worst possible time, and take away support for young people and older Londoners.

I will not accept this. Will you stand with me?

Looks like someone thinks Andy Burnham is making him look bad.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

JustaDamnFool posted:

and it's not like they haven't been willing on state hand outs to the catering trade this year.
between massively overpaying for catering surpluses to be delivered as food parcels to shielding people, and eat out to help out that's surely more already than paying for school meals over the xmas break would be.
but those two were one offs and they're that scared of setting a precedent for future school holidays that they can't back out of.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Surely the better argument is "that's why I'm asking a conservative government to fix it, that's why we have other governments"

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Spangly A posted:

This isn't a rando disengaged man on the street or young person somehow unaware of the far right, they were suspicious and they asked him. They claimed to do further checks. They very obviously either did not do these things and lied about it, or they did ask these things and are ludicrous idiots.

you are jumping to conclusions massively there

you don't have to be suspicious of any ill intent to ask that. "what is the meaning behind your many tattoos" is just kind of thing you ask just out of curiosity, or just to make conversation. like if you'd just met, and were asking about the kind of background info that you'll write into the presenters script about the guests.

Spangly A posted:

this was spotted instantly and his answers were disproven instantly, I'm not suggesting familiarity with deep nazi lore, I'm suggesting the media should be able to write things that pass an internet bullshit detector long enough to air the show they all just signed off on
there's a bias there.
thousands of people saw the clip when Sky tweeted it and some of them noticed immediately. you can bet a lot more never noticed the particular tattoo or didn't realise the significance of two fat ladies.
but only a handful of people met him and decided to put him on the great British woodworking off.
several orders of magnitude more eyes are more likely to spot something just by weight of numbers.

it's a simple unfortunate mistake. not some big conspiracy to get nazis on the telly

Jakabite posted:

88 being a Nazi thing is not that arcane a piece of knowledge to have. You don’t have to be terminally online to know one of the single most famous Nazi symbols in modern history.
really single most? poor swastika's been demoted

stev posted:

Why is a show about woodworking on the history channel anyway?
got some bad news about MTV for you

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/yougov/status/1317126424587833344

No crosstabs on their site, which is a pity

Still - that support is pretty narrow and the reason this is starting to be a government headache is that the threat of Tory rebellion is serious

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

do C4 still make that shoreditch tattoo fixers show? there could be a way they can salvage this 🤣

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
When I see 88 all I think of is the speed of a delorean.

Were the back to the future films made by secret nazis!?!?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I don't care if this is USPOL:

https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/1318951111240286208

Cohen's British, so let's link it there.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ronya posted:

https://twitter.com/yougov/status/1317126424587833344

No crosstabs on their site, which is a pity

Still - that support is pretty narrow and the reason this is starting to be a government headache is that the threat of Tory rebellion is serious

Imagine being a Labour voter that doesn't think that the Government should provide food to hungry children.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

What would a tory rebellion even entail? What would its goals be?

You're not gonna get a tory rebellion in favour of redistribution or public spending

I've heard the idea floated but I don't know what the point would be

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Imagine being a Labour voter that doesn't think that the Government should provide food to hungry children.

Maybe they've tried the dinners?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Pretty sure MPs can vote for themselves.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

stev posted:

I don't really want the inexperienced, overworked, minimum wage intern to be sacked for the gently caress up. There's no way a highly paid, experienced tellyman didn't watch and unquestioningly approve the footage before it was Tweeted.

It's totally possible a highly paid & experienced person approved this in my own experience working in media circles, the intern, involved or not, will be the one fired of course.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

When I see 88 all I think of is the speed of a delorean.

Were the back to the future films made by secret nazis!?!?

The first film at least *is* pretty racist, so maybe?!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Imagine being a Conservative voter.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Rachel Reeves you mean?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Cerv posted:

really single most? poor swastika's been demoted

One of ;) The Totenkopf (or Death's Head, still used by the Chelsea Headhunters of Football Factory fame), the SS lightning bolts and the Swastika probably top it, but 14/88, or just 88, are notable for how they only gained currency after the fall of the Nazis.

I'm conflicted about Borat. On the one hand I think the movie is almost certain to be really loving funny, with a lot of right wing shits made very uncomfortable during its filming. The Giuliani thing is ace. On the other hand I still feel sort of bad for Kazakhstan and can't help but feel like it's also kinda racist?

It's definitely racist isn't it? :(

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They voted for Keir

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Jakabite posted:

It's definitely racist isn't it? :(

Nah, his depiction of Kazakhstan as a backwards shithole where they all gently caress their sisters is totally not racist.

https://twitter.com/GuardianHeather/status/1318966834922749952
Sir Haircut is going to force to apologise isn't he?

On the upside I don't think he can sack Rayner from her deputy leader job. gently caress me, is this how the right felt when they were rooting for Tom Watson?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

ro5s posted:

They voted for Keir

labour voters is not the same set of people as labour party members

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Not liking the where this JOI is going.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Not just as a stunt
No need for public goods
Just be a complete oval office

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

not only is this shameless even for the Tories but it's not even true, Rashford was 12 when the Tories won the 2010 GE

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

jabby posted:

Nah, his depiction of Kazakhstan as a backwards shithole where they all gently caress their sisters is totally not racist.

https://twitter.com/GuardianHeather/status/1318966834922749952
Sir Haircut is going to force to apologise isn't he?

On the upside I don't think he can sack Rayner from her deputy leader job. gently caress me, is this how the right felt when they were rooting for Tom Watson?

The single most uncomfortable I've been in my adult life (well it was at uni but) was when I was on a bus with a bunch of Kazakhstani coursemates and some of my British friends started quoting obscene Borat jokes at them, without apologizing or anything, despite them being visibly uncomfortable and doing their best to ignore it.

Dunno what came over them they were usually quite decent about this stuff.

Kazakhstan is actually kinda cool, it's a mix of Islamic and Soviet culture which is very odd, but also socially progressive by Muslim-majority country standards.

e: Like these are some random pictures when googling for news stories from Kazakhstan:

You wouldn't think that's from an authoritarian Muslim-majority country.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 21, 2020

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Private Speech posted:

The single most uncomfortable I've been in my adult life (well it was at uni but) was when I was on a bus with a bunch of Kazakhstani coursemates and some of my British friends started quoting obscene Borat jokes at them, without apologizing or anything, despite them being visibly uncomfortable and doing their best to ignore it.

Dunno what came over them they were usually quite decent about this stuff.

Borat has infected popular culture to the point where his parody "national anthem" for Kazakhstan has been played for a gold-medal-winning Kazakhstani athlete at a medal ceremony, presumably because it comes higher in the YouTube rankings than the real version. Imagine winning gold for your country and being rewarded with a song about having the cleanest prostitutes in the region.

Personally I'm shocked at such bigotry from a comedian previously known for *checks notes* a character based on black stereotypes, and a character based on gay stereotypes.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Someone in Brazil on the corona drug trial has died. Might have just been hit by a bus though.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

A song about throwing Jews down wells: comedy gold from a beloved entertainer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

jabby posted:

Borat has infected popular culture to the point where his parody "national anthem" for Kazakhstan has been played for a gold-medal-winning Kazakhstani athlete at a medal ceremony, presumably because it comes higher in the YouTube rankings than the real version. Imagine winning gold for your country and being rewarded with a song about having the cleanest prostitutes in the region.

Personally I'm shocked at such bigotry from a comedian previously known for *checks notes* a character based on black stereotypes, and a character based on gay stereotypes.

I wouldn't be surprised if a massive chunk of the population thought it was a made up country.