Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cthulu Carl posted:

Um, actually, the correct term is kitler.

:hmmorks:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
If you're looking for fancier plastic cats wearing armor and wizard robes, there're always the Cats & Catacombs minis from the Animal Adventures game that got kickstarted a year or two ago. They're a bit pricy, though, and I do admit I preferred their Dungeons & Doggies set.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
My mom got me a dungeons and doggies set after she found out I like painting little guys, they're real cute

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Toebone posted:

My mom got me a dungeons and doggies set after she found out I like painting little guys, they're real cute

It is shameful to have posted these without a link via which one may acquire through the transfer of money these things?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Schadenboner posted:

It is shameful to have posted these without a link via which one may acquire through the transfer of money these things?

https://steamforged.com/games/animal-adventures or more specifically https://steamforged.com/games/animal-adventures?tab=Products&category=dog-miniatures

I have the kickstarter set, shamefully unpainted as I have massive paralysis with them, I dont have much experience painting fur, let alone realistic fur of actual dog breeds. But I will paint them one day, so help me...

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

SiKboy posted:

I have the kickstarter set, shamefully unpainted as I have massive paralysis with them, I dont have much experience painting fur, let alone realistic fur of actual dog breeds. But I will paint them one day, so help me...

:same:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Looks like the two posted by OP are definitely the best out of the set of 6 (although it does seem like there are also good ones here and there among the company's other sets)?

Hasten to add that none of them seem bad: just kinda generic or samey. Having said that, I'm glad they're "Dogs who are D&D adventurers" rather than "People with dog/cat ears"?

:shrug:

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

SiKboy posted:

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I'm really sick of the GW Contrast spray paints. I plowed through a $20 can of Wraithbone to prime 6 normal-sized models and 1 large model. I did quick bursts and wasn't even going for 100% full coverage and it still is completely tanked at this point.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I've had 0 issues using contrast paints over the army painter primer, and I just primed 40-odd 3D printed minis. I have so many 3D printed minis...

Speaking of! Here's three bartenders of varying trustworthiness and a mysterious stranger who may just have a quest...

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Verisimilidude posted:

I'm really sick of the GW Contrast spray paints. I plowed through a $20 can of Wraithbone to prime 6 normal-sized models and 1 large model. I did quick bursts and wasn't even going for 100% full coverage and it still is completely tanked at this point.

Something is definitely hosed up there. I've been on the same can of wraithbone for like... I dunno, how long have contrasts been out, a year? I'm not super prolific, and not every model I paint has been primed with it, but I've easily primed 30-40 models of various sizes with it, and used it as the light part of a zenithal on probably that many again. Its nearly dead now, but I've definitely had more than 7 models out of the can, and have been happy enough that I was considering buying a new one when it finally runs out.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Toebone posted:

Those are some very good boys. :3:

I have the first two sets, half painted. I guess I have to get the third set as well.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
posting the best animal miniature company

https://www.darkswordminiatures.com/product-category/miniature-lines/critter-kingdoms-anthropomorphic-animals/
https://www.darkswordminiatures.com/shop/augustus-tribute-emperor-cat/
https://www.darkswordminiatures.com/shop/snail-cartographer/

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 21, 2020

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
So I thought I'd give zenithal highlighting a go with inks since I haven't really done any priming with them yet and whaddya know it went real smooth.

Of course now I gotta colour it with inks or very patiently apply thin layers of paint if I want to keep all that work but what can ya do

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Verisimilidude posted:

I had a similar thing happen to me, same colour, only I managed a bit better than that (24 gants, 8 genestealers and a broodlord), but that still felt like a small amount though, which discord seemed to confirm. Bought a second can from the online store instead of my local, and it feels measurably heavier than the old one first did when I shake it. I just figured I got burned on a can that was used to, uh, sample.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Eej posted:

Of course now I gotta colour it with inks or very patiently apply thin layers of paint if I want to keep all that work but what can ya do

You have an airbrush, apply your basecoats with that, thinned downed appropriately, especially on those large panels.

I will say though, I think you're doing your zenithal a bit heavy, unless you're going for an extremely bright lighting. Try and spray only from the top, with a lighter spray as you go down to about a 45 degree angle. You should be keeping more of the black basecoat on the side/underside of a lot of those areas where the shadows would be.

At least for me the goal is always to do as much possible painting with the airbrush before moving over to normal brush painting. It's far faster and provides a fantastic starting point even when I will be doing a bunch of brush blending.

Cinara fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 21, 2020

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Yeah the zenithal is a bit heavy which is a combination of the model being sculpted to catch light from the front (I sprayed white from basically only vertical) as well as only using grey mixed with black to bring back some shadows. I could've sprayed straight black but I figured it would be too harsh? There's a bit more contrast on the rear which doesn't catch as much light.

But mostly I was content with having the panels being so white cause I'm gonna paint it like a shiny beetle

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I always wish Forge World had released the original version whatever the Blight Hauler mutated from, like how they did with that drone for 30k?

E: Also that 30k Mechanicum got 40k AdMech rules, obvs?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Personaly I'd have pushed my highlights and shadows even further, but I do a lot of weathering and use a lot of filters so my end result is still pretty subdued and requires a second round of highlights.

Schadenboner posted:

I always wish Forge World had released the original version whatever the Blight Hauler mutated from, like how they did with that drone for 30k?

E: Also that 30k Mechanicum got 40k AdMech rules, obvs?

We might get that in the next book, which is all about Dark Mechanicum

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

BULBASAUR posted:

Personaly I'd have pushed my highlights and shadows even further, but I do a lot of weathering and use a lot of filters so my end result is still pretty subdued and requires a second round of highlights.

We might get that in the next book, which is all about Dark Mechanicum

Hasn't that been "about to release" since 7th Edition though?

Thought for the day: Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Nah it was supposed to be in the book we just got, but they cut the content b/c lol

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

To be fair, Bligh's sudden passing probably hosed up FW's plans for 30k for a very long time seeing as he was the person responsible for a lot of it.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cooked Auto posted:

To be fair, Bligh's sudden passing probably hosed up FW's plans for 30k for a very long time seeing as he was the person responsible for a lot of it.

He also wrote a lot of the best Dark Heresy content.

:(

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

Team_q posted:

I've been doing a 4 part zenthal and I think if you are running with contrast and glazes, it looks rad as hell.

All black
white from the top to simulate light
dry brush white(ish) to highlight rased points
Nulin Oil- stuff that needs contrast.

Then you can hit it with inks or contrast and it works pretty well.

If you do traditional painting, I like to do black, then gray zenthal, so I get the best of both worlds.

Sorry for the lateness of the query, but when you (or anyone else for that matter re: contrasts) say "white from the top" do you mean one of the contrast undercoats like grey seer or wraithbone sprayed zenithally?

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!
Warglaive #2... I'm loving this one's scheme. He was suppose to be purple and Arkhanian Green, or whatever it's called (is a muted neon blue kind of colour), but yesterday, my local FLGS opened for appointments, so me and my wife went and I grabbed Warp Lightning, and drat - I just love how it works.

Also took the time to mark up some battle damage on this one.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Verisimilidude posted:

Besides this airbrush kit, does anyone have a recommendation for other kits? I know there's one people like for the compressor itself that I would be interested in.

On a friend's recommendation, I got this compressor. It's got a tank so it holds a constant pressure well (and doesn't run constantly), and it takes fine adjustments to pressure very well. It also goes WAY past any pressure I'd use in a small airbrush.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WBT7PTW

I also got a Badger P105 for my first airbrush, prices on that vary wildly over time. And this spray hood with lights:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NLQ019A/

I only wish you could turn the lights on without running the fan for when I'm doing non-spray work. That aside, it's a really potent extractor fan - I can feel a slight draft sitting in front of it. I wouldn't have any qualms about working in enamels or oils inside with this thing running.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

mllaneza posted:

On a friend's recommendation, I got this compressor. It's got a tank so it holds a constant pressure well (and doesn't run constantly), and it takes fine adjustments to pressure very well. It also goes WAY past any pressure I'd use in a small airbrush.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WBT7PTW

I also got a Badger P105 for my first airbrush, prices on that vary wildly over time. And this spray hood with lights:

I only wish you could turn the lights on without running the fan for when I'm doing non-spray work. That aside, it's a really potent extractor fan - I can feel a slight draft sitting in front of it. I wouldn't have any qualms about working in enamels or oils inside with this thing running.

Thanks! Appreciate the help. :)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

if i wanted to paint minis and put them in snowglobes is there anything i need to consider? the liquid is apparently usually water + antifreeze, is that likely to strip the paint off and is there anything i can put on to prevent that happening?

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

mllaneza posted:

spray hood with lights:

The description for this hood says not to use it with combustible materials, I'd think twice before using it for enamels or oils. Maybe brushing and mixing would be okay but spraying them sounds like bad news :ohdear:

Mistaken For Bacon fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 22, 2020

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

The description for this hood says not to use it with combustible materials, I'd think twice before using it for enamels or oils. Maybe brushing and mixing would be okay but spraying them sounds like bad news :ohdear:

Oh wow. I've seen lots of channels with people using enamels who have this (it's really popular). That's concerning.

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

If the motor never sparks in the airstream it should be fine, and the likelihood of it happening is very low. It's a CYA statement from the company and hopefully just there for cases of user abuse. I'm also interested in the spraying enamels trick but I'll likely be hauling my compressor outside to do it with a respirator

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

I wasn't planning to, but that's really, really good to know !

We take safety seriously at work, so I'm the kind of person who likes the chances of a problem to be exactly zero.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
In addition to the three bartenders I posted, I also finished some Norms...

A slumming noble (of questionable taste) with his bodyguards

And some non-fascist giant rats!

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Decided to try painting up some necrons and I’m happy with how this test model is coming!

I want to keep them very simple so I’ll go with probably black cabling and a green base. What materials do you all use? I have sand but it’s so even and not realistic looking at all, I want something green and mulchy and thin

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I'm confused, these links don't lead to dog-taur minis.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Verisimilidude posted:

Decided to try painting up some necrons and I’m happy with how this test model is coming!

I want to keep them very simple so I’ll go with probably black cabling and a green base. What materials do you all use? I have sand but it’s so even and not realistic looking at all, I want something green and mulchy and thin

Gotta go with classic goblin green

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Verisimilidude posted:

If you want to be cheap like me, used and dried coffee grounds work great for bases. I keep a jar of coarse grounds for rocks and such, and a jar of fine for soil/sand.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
So ordered some slotted 32mm bases to go with an old Dark Vengeance box set that I've been sitting on. Do you think PVC glue will plug that little hole (and, I suppose, the leftover space in the slot)?

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Glue+basing material can work, or some green/brown stuff, or cut some spare plastic and glue it over the gaps before basing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Flip Yr Wig posted:

So ordered some slotted 32mm bases to go with an old Dark Vengeance box set that I've been sitting on. Do you think PVC glue will plug that little hole (and, I suppose, the leftover space in the slot)?

PVA on its own? No, definitely not. When you base though you can fairly easily put glue in the hole/gaps then tip your sand or flock or whatever in and that should do it. Or, if you want to be totally sure, you could use wall filler or texture paste of some description.

Verisimilidude posted:

If you are looking for a green mulchy base, maybe just some basic-rear end green flock? Get a couple of colours (darker and lighter green), a few rocks and twigs to break it up and give some variety, maybe a few tufts or lichen or whatever. Plus you can mix it into a paste with PVA and paint it up things you want to look moss covered. Use your sand (painted brown, maybe a dark wash and a quick drybrush) for any areas you want to be ground with no undergrowth.

As an aside, I have a tub of decent quality builders sand, and a tub of coarse sand which was I think originally from a pet shop (for birds?). But the sand I use to base with is the jar which has a mix of the two, plus every time I sand/file part of a model smooth or saw a model all the shavings/dust gets swept into the jar. Gives a nice variety of particle sizes and when painted (to me at least) it looks more like natural broken ground and less like out of scale sand.