Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Fixed my Pacifica's wiring issue. Took a second look because the push/pull was reversed, humbucker was switch out instead of in. Figured if that was wrong maybe other stuff was to do, plus soldering is fun and I want to do it more.

The documentation and standardization for guitar wiring is so lovely lol. My switch is apparently considered an import switch, which is why it's 8 lugs in one line, instead of US one which is two sides of 4. Seymour Duncan does not have any diagrams that fit what I'm trying to do, an HSS strat clone with a push/pull and 5 position switch. It's at least possible to work out how it's supposed to all fit together if you do the research and mull over it for a few days, that's half the fun lol.

It even sounds a little better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

skooma512 posted:

I live in Los Angeles and if you're not looking for major models of major brands, you're not finding it in a store. Hell, they only had 7 like Telecasters in the Guitar Center I go to and that's it, but a zillion strats, LPs and acoustics. Barely even any Squier. I've only seen Classic Vibes once, at an independent shop.

it's mostly dad BS in my area. I couldn't actually find something that had P90s and a solid body the last time I went to my GC -- since part of the mythical weezer tone is a Les Paul Special, I wanted to try a bridge P90 through the Marshall.

it's dire. no offsets, aside from a JMJM, which was cool. they did have one of those Ed O'Brien signature strats, which was really great 'cause I wanted to try a JB (another part of The Tone), and it impressed me. there're hollow/semi hollow gretsch and gibson style guitars everywhere, but no jaguars. some squier, definitely some epiphone.

the amp situation is the biggest bummer though, because they love to have like three different blues juniors on the floor, a handful of marshall origin or fender mustang style amps, and orange practice amps. sometimes, if one's passing through, you'll get the chance to plug in to a Marshall DSL40, Hot Rod Deluxe, or AC30, but that's about it.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
JMJM is P90s, incidentally. They resigned the Jazzmaster pickups for the J model (used them for the Deluxe as well I assume) with standard covers stuck on top and did a really nice job. You can spot them by the grub screws poking out instead of pole magnets. Not hardtail though.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

darkwasthenight posted:

JMJM is P90s, incidentally. They resigned the Jazzmaster pickups for the J model (used them for the Deluxe as well I assume) with standard covers stuck on top and did a really nice job. You can spot them by the grub screws poking out instead of pole magnets. Not hardtail though.

I knew it was P90s but I figured, if I get a get a P90 guitar, it probably won't be a JMJM, it'd be something more like a Les Paul Special. It was also on the very very back of the wall right up at the ceiling, so I didn't want to hassel the guy :P

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
I've got a soft spot for the JMJM as probably the most usable modern offset that doesn't sound like an offset, if you get me. Really great necks.

That said, the new Epi Special and JR are great and the new headstock is way better too. Shame they don't offer TV White mind. Not many Special copies out there.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

darkwasthenight posted:

I've got a soft spot for the JMJM as probably the most usable modern offset that doesn't sound like an offset, if you get me. Really great necks.

That said, the new Epi Special and JR are great and the new headstock is way better too. Shame they don't offer TV White mind. Not many Special copies out there.

Yeah :/

I really need to get around to getting the Epi special before it disappears. Best I can tell, the "Les Paul Jr" they sold before this was just a single humbucker guitar, didn't actually have a P90.

Do you know if the new ones are more stable/reliable than like, old Gibson specials? Feel like I've heard a few people say they're kinda not the greatest for gigging and stuff

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Sorry for being dumb, but what exactly is a P90? I know it's a pickup, and I can recognize it when I see it, but what sets it apart from a humbucker or single coil?

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

BonHair posted:

Sorry for being dumb, but what exactly is a P90? I know it's a pickup, and I can recognize it when I see it, but what sets it apart from a humbucker or single coil?

It is a single coil, but way bigger and beefier, without quite being a humbucker. So it's its weird own thing, that sits between single coils and humbuckers, tonally -- they have a cool clean sound and a lovely crunch sound, too.

I believe they're from when people really wanted to play louder and without the hum, but the humbucker hadn't quite been invented yet, and the P90 was a hook between the two.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

landgrabber posted:

It is a single coil, but way bigger and beefier, without quite being a humbucker. So it's its weird own thing, that sits between single coils and humbuckers, tonally -- they have a cool clean sound and a lovely crunch sound, too.

I believe they're from when people really wanted to play louder and without the hum, but the humbucker hadn't quite been invented yet, and the P90 was a hook between the two.

Eh, kind of. The only real analog to modern single coil pickups before the P90 was Gibson's Charlie Christian pickup, which was basically like a single-coil version of a rails pickup, with a blade instead of individual pole pieces. The P90 was among (if not the first?) pickup with individual adjustable poles and did give a heftier sound with more definition but there wasn't really any noise reduction. We're still a couple years out from the Esquire at this point too.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Is there a reason why strumming and picking got normalized as the dominant hand’s job on guitar? Is it because picking/strumming motions bear a motor resemblance to precision grip tasks like writing/etc and rely on similar muscle groups and stuff like wrist dexterity? You’d think that fretting would be a good use of a dominant hand. Certainly doesn’t seem like any “easier” of a task.

Not sure if this has been answered yet, but the answer it's because contrary to what might be intuitive, your strumming and picking hand is by far the more important of the two hands. The non-dominant hand tells the guitar what notes to play, but the dominant hand decides exactly how those notes are expressed. It's setup this way because your dominant hand is better at nuance and fine control than your non-dominant hand, and as the saying goes... it's not what you say, it's how you say it.

Think of it this way: when you hear a guitar and can tell exactly who's playing just from listening, you're able to do that because of the guitar player's dominant hand technique.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 21, 2020

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I’ve been weaving in touches of semi-harmonics with my picking index knuckle, letting the skin “rake” ever so subtly over the strings with a pick and or a strum. Not all the time and not like Zakk Wylde but enough to give it a flavor that feels like “me.” I combine that with picking pressure and rhythmic variations and there is considerably more of my “voice” in my picking hand than in my fretting hand.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Baron von Eevl posted:

Eh, kind of. The only real analog to modern single coil pickups before the P90 was Gibson's Charlie Christian pickup, which was basically like a single-coil version of a rails pickup, with a blade instead of individual pole pieces. The P90 was among (if not the first?) pickup with individual adjustable poles and did give a heftier sound with more definition but there wasn't really any noise reduction. We're still a couple years out from the Esquire at this point too.

The P-90 was an outgrowth of the P-13 pickup that Gibson developed in the '40's. Because the pickup wire that Gibson was using was thicker than what you'd normally see nowadays, the pickup had to be wound short and fat to keep it relatively compact. There were three different types of P-13: one with no-exposed polepieces, one with square exposed polepieces, and one with adjustable polepieces. The pickups were installed on their products as well as on guitars from brands like Kay, Silvertone, etc. Eventually, the design evolved into the P-90 in the 50's. Though the exact reason why Gibson made the switch isn't known, it's easy to speculate that it was either a way to differentiate from the pickups they offered to OEM guitars or simply a way to cut costs. Plastic housings were a lot cheaper to make, after all.

Here's a P-13:

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 21, 2020

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Has there been any major innovation in pickups since the humbucker or just a bunch of refinements?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Printing the coils on circuit board is pretty cool, check out the Fishman Fluence series.

darkwasthenight posted:

Not many Special copies out there.
Gibson would sue. :v:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 22, 2020

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Siivola posted:

Printing the coils on circuit board is pretty cool, check out the Fishman Fluence series.

Their solderless connector system with headers allowing for things like optional active boost and coil tapping is neat as well.

prokaryote
Apr 29, 2013

skooma512 posted:

Fixed my Pacifica's wiring issue. Took a second look because the push/pull was reversed, humbucker was switch out instead of in. Figured if that was wrong maybe other stuff was to do, plus soldering is fun and I want to do it more.

The documentation and standardization for guitar wiring is so lovely lol. My switch is apparently considered an import switch, which is why it's 8 lugs in one line, instead of US one which is two sides of 4. Seymour Duncan does not have any diagrams that fit what I'm trying to do, an HSS strat clone with a push/pull and 5 position switch. It's at least possible to work out how it's supposed to all fit together if you do the research and mull over it for a few days, that's half the fun lol.

It even sounds a little better!

for possible future reference, the demarzio site seems to have what you are looking for - https://www.dimarzio.com/support/wiring-diagrams

https://d2emr0qhzqfj88.cloudfront.net/s3fs-public/diagrams/1h2s5w1ppv1t_split_0.pdf

also, if you dont have one already, a cheap multimeter that can test for continuity is incredibly useful if, eg, your switch looks different from that in the diagram, checking if you hosed up the soldering, etc

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

String bending practice has to be one of the best ear training things to do on guitar. Ever since incorporating technique for half and full step bending in pitch in my practice routine, I'm able to suss out melodies by ear much better. I think I feel whether a note is higher or lower than a reference just a whole lot better because of this.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

no bites on my amp yet. how long should a listing hang out on reverb?

also -- was wondering if anyone here knew any specific exercises for coordination that helps music. I can't tap my foot while I play, or sing at the same time, and I feel like both of those would help a lot, and singing would... actually be necessary.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

landgrabber posted:

also -- was wondering if anyone here knew any specific exercises for coordination that helps music. I can't tap my foot while I play, or sing at the same time, and I feel like both of those would help a lot, and singing would... actually be necessary.

i gather that amps sell much more slowly than guitars on reverb

learn to count the meter out loud while you play. "1-2-3-4" or "1-2-3" or "1-2-3-4-5-6" or whatever is applicable.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

landgrabber posted:

Yeah, it’s tough to sell a big old amp (shipping really adds up), but be as competitive as you can on the pricing. Otherwise, it wouldn’t hurt to list it locally on your preferred platform. That or see what your shop would offer for it.

Singing and whatnot, I’d say check out JustinGuitar. I thought I was hopeless with that, but his lessons really made it fun, and he suggests you tap, sing, and play. Probably should pick it back up myself to be honest.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
a Peavey Bandit stole my heart, so i just sold my AC15 via Craigslist. took a little less than a month to go.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
If I ever have reason to replace my Katana 100 it'll probably end up being with a handful of Bugera clone heads and a cabinet. Real Plexi? $3k. Bugera Infinum clone? $600.

Speaking of cheap knockoffs, I have an extremely cheap recording mic en route, arriving tomorrow. Can't wait to see what a $20 SM57 clone sounds like!

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

skooma512 posted:

That’s the exact setup my Pacifica has. I know absolutely nothing about guitar wiring, but if it would help, I could get some pictures with the back covers off.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Finally getting the hang of F chords. Still slow on the transition to them but at least it sounds about right when I get there. :stoked:

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I'm a month into owning my first guitar. I've been practicing pretty much every day. It's so much fun, it's the highlight of my day. I'm finding the C, D, and Dm chords to be hardest. I can usually get them quickly when I'm just practicing the chord shapes, but when I try to play them in time, I have a real hard time getting my fingers down accurately. Anyway, it'll come. I haven't learned F or B yet.

I'm planning to take the guitar back to the shop I bought it from to have them give it a setup. The E and A strings are very buzzy. I tried tweaking the saddle height, but it didn't fix the problem, so I'd rather have someone who knows what they're doing just give the whole thing a once over.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Carth Dookie posted:

Finally getting the hang of F chords. Still slow on the transition to them but at least it sounds about right when I get there. :stoked:

ColdPie posted:

I'm a month into owning my first guitar. I've been practicing pretty much every day. It's so much fun, it's the highlight of my day. I'm finding the C, D, and Dm chords to be hardest. I can usually get them quickly when I'm just practicing the chord shapes, but when I try to play them in time, I have a real hard time getting my fingers down accurately. Anyway, it'll come. I haven't learned F or B yet.

The day when you can't remember that chords were difficult in any way, shape or form is a good one. It's closer than you think, as long as you keep at it. That said I find it's very important *not* to forget that chords were difficult though: when I'm learning something new and I don't get it right away and I go into "ahhh, I suck!" mode, it's good for me remember that it took me hours and hours and hours (and hours) to learn switch between "simple" chords.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
poo poo I've been playing for like 14 years and I still don't like B Maj :cheeky:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Fats posted:

That’s the exact setup my Pacifica has. I know absolutely nothing about guitar wiring, but if it would help, I could get some pictures with the back covers off.

It all fixed now so I'm good :) Thanks though.

Also the multimeter sounds neat. I think I'll grab one soon as I'm sure I'll probably want one for something eventually,.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

landgrabber posted:

What amp and for how much?

Also what kinda condition is it in and how are you listing it compared to other similar amps?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

poo poo I've been playing for like 14 years and I still don't like B Maj :cheeky:

Barre with your ring finger and mute the high E. My pinky’s always muting it anyway in that shape, so I just don’t see a reason not to. Apologies if you know about this already. :)

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

landgrabber posted:

I had the same problem with playing clarinet- I had to tap my foot because counting with my mouth was out. Really, I just started trying to do it while playing scales, etudes and songs along with a metronome and stopped when I got too off the beat. Eventually, one day I was doing it. I eventually went on to work on internalizing my rhythm by doing the exercises out of Ted Reed's book on syncopation for drums but baby steps- fire up the metronome and work on scales while tapping or counting.

For singing, pick up something easy like Irish folk tunes and go slow with a drum machine- strum guitar on the one and focus on singing. It's one of those things that you practice and you get better at.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

GreatGreen posted:

What amp and for how much?

Also what kinda condition is it in and how are you listing it compared to other similar amps?

HRD, like, $400, excellent condish

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

landgrabber posted:

HRD, like, $400, excellent condish

that would be a great deal, but i have enough amps already. and i wouldnt wanna deal with shipping

have you tried getting into a gear-swap group for your town on social media, and see if anyone has any gear you would trade for? might be smarter than selling it at a loss, depending on whats on there

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Helianthus Annuus posted:

that would be a great deal, but i have enough amps already. and i wouldnt wanna deal with shipping

have you tried getting into a gear-swap group for your town on social media, and see if anyone has any gear you would trade for? might be smarter than selling it at a loss, depending on whats on there

in that case, I raised the price so it wasn't such a great deal and I get more money. I don't suggest anyone here buy it, because I'd want someone in the community to actually get a deal.

I want/wanted at least $500 for it because the idea is to get a DSL40CR or similar with the cash.

It was a great deal on the amp when I got it... much less than $500, and the seller had paid shipping. Feels awful to "I'm literally making money off of this" but I didn't buy it with the intention to flip it... I really thought I'd be playing clean the entire time.

Also it's a 1999 HRD so I don't know if that colors your perception. In amazing condition for a 20 year old amp, and made in America, but also, it's hair trigger loud (knob pots were fixed in 2010) and the drive channels are basically useless (also fixed in 2010). Who knows, I have time.

I've been using a simulated Plexi, which I've really liked the sound of, and I really liked the DSL in stores when I played it. Have had great luck with a simulated orange amp, too, but those seem a little more limited in what they can do

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Have you thought of just keeping it, running the clean channel and finding some pedals that sound like the tone you’re going for?

Put a volume pot in the effects loop to make the clean volume less sensitive.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

lazerwolf posted:

Is clean channel being way louder a common thing? I have an OC 20RT and can't turn the Clean volume past 2-3 without fear of waking up my neighbors in a separate house. Makes it hard to get good sounds on that channel

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
The Hot Rod Deluxe has a logarithmic volume pot as opposed to a linear one for the preamp volume so you get the biggest jumps in volume from the 2-4 range then no much after that in terms of volume but you start to get preamp overdrive which can be a nice edge of breakup sound. The main issue for the HRD is the master volume is only on the Drive channel which is considerably weaker than the clean channel. Therefore the all gets so loud before you can dial in good preamp overdrive.

Solution is your trusty pseudo Master Volume mod in the effects loop.

Two switchcraft inputs, 1 Volume pot, I think i used something like a 100k pot and an enclosure.

Now you can crank the Volume up to 12 even and not blow your ears out or upset your neighbors.

lazerwolf fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 24, 2020

stoopidmunkey
May 21, 2005

yep

lazerwolf posted:

Two switchcraft inputs, 1 Volume pot, I think i used something like a 100k pot and an enclosure.

Now you can crank the Volume up to 12 even and not blow your ears out or upset your neighbors.

Can confirm this. I bought mine but I do the effects loop trick on my jcm900 and have everything cranked on amp. I actually get breakup on the clean channel and love it without hurting my ears

stoopidmunkey fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 24, 2020

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I thought the main issue on the HRDs was the 470ohm resistors that scorch a hole in the board. 😢

You have to raise them up off the board (and they should’ve been resecured with silicone but whatevs):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

lazerwolf posted:

Have you thought of just keeping it, running the clean channel and finding some pedals that sound like the tone you’re going for?

I don't really have the money/patience/personality to get into pedals and either do it right, or not get completely obsessive about it and lose my mind.

Most of the time all I'm asking for is a great dirty tone that I can summon with a footswitch, which seems like something an amp should be able to do.

I feel like it's an indictment of an amplifier if you have to use a pedal that completely changes its character to get a sound you want out of it.