Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

SaGa is the best comic book series of the decade and I don’t think it’s particularly close.

The one with dragon sucking its dick in a two-page spread and everyone talking like Joss Whedon on cocaine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

fatherboxx posted:

The one with dragon sucking its dick in a two-page spread and everyone talking like Joss Whedon on cocaine?

They made a Malatora comic?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

fatherboxx posted:

I read the first 5 story arcs and this is not in them... uh... I have no idea what you’re referencing, but no matter there is nothing Whedonesque about the dialogue

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bust Rodd posted:

I read the first 5 story arcs and this is not in them... uh... I have no idea what you’re referencing

The four story arcs that you haven't read, presumably.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

E: gently caress, nevermind.

If you have Kindle Premium the first few volumes of Irredeemable are free with it as well.

Bussamove fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 21, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bussamove posted:

There’s a couple arcs of it I haven’t read yet but Rat Queens is pretty fun. It has the usual comic problem of everyone needing to be super clever with their one-liners all the drat time but on the other hand it has Orc Dave.

This is probably not the time or the place to recommend a comic co-created by a man who beats his wife.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Jedit posted:

This is probably not the time or the place to recommend a comic co-created by a man who beats his wife.

I was totally unaware of that and now I feel lovely.

Nevermind don’t read that.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That was the artist, right? And they ended up firing and replacing him? Or am I wrong... I didn't follow that very closely.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

SENPAI :lovebird:1

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Shame about the typo.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Why would you say “Hard-R” lmao Jesus loving Christ

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

if you want to read good comics ask for manga recommendations.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

cosmin posted:

don't want to derail this thread but I'm cautious about going into the Comics subforum (is there one?)

There is a comics sub forum but it’s full of rotund degenerates

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Nthing the acting from Anthony Starr, especially those oh so subtle moments of uncomfortableness when Stromfront got too Nazi even for him. Like you could barely see the reaction but it was there. Hell I thought it was just me, but others have seen it too.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Why would you say “Hard-R” lmao Jesus loving Christ

Carnosaur is already r rated as gently caress too. The kills are nasty, a woman explodes while giving birth to a dinosaur, and the protagonists get brutally murdered at the end.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Astroman posted:

Nthing the acting from Anthony Starr, especially those oh so subtle moments of uncomfortableness when Stromfront got too Nazi even for him. Like you could barely see the reaction but it was there. Hell I thought it was just me, but others have seen it too.

Yeah I loved this, you can see he’s not really fully on board with the racial science stuff but he’s like eeeehh ok whatever I’m white. I imagine a lot of alt righters are like this.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I don't think he's ok with it because he's white, I think he views himself so far above the "mud people" as he calls them (anyone not either a hero, or him), that he's just indifferent. I'd imagine he's just making a mental note like "Huh, that's nuts. Guess it explains why she and a train never got along, though..."

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Homelander doesn't have an ideology and it's clear he's a little unnerved by people who believe in things.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

There are so many little moments of Homelander noticing red flags from Stormfront and choosing to ignore them.

Probably the most subtle for me was his look when Stormfront says she's only disappointed she didn't kill Vogelbaum herself. HL might have crippled him but he's still the closest thing he had to a father. He's not exactly sad he's dead but he's not happy to hear Stormfront talk that way about him.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Look, if anyone in this thread has ever stayed in a relationship with an objectively lovely person because being alone is worse than being together with someone lovely, they can relate.

I spent a year with a really abusive lunatic because she was kind of nice to me sometimes and bought me a lot of presents, even if she was a raving psycho with severe personality issues who constantly berated and abused me, it still felt like a better alternative than “dying alone and never getting to gently caress again”.

I read his expressions RE the Nazi stuff as “uhhhhh yikes, that’s not...greeeeaaaaaat....”, not tacit complicity, but more of a “we’ll have to put a pin in that for now...”

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah but Homelander is hot and famous.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Homelander was bad at doing fucks until stormfront guided him with all her experience

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

Alchenar posted:

Homelander doesn't have an ideology and it's clear he's a little unnerved by people who believe in things.

Homelander is too intensely narcissistic to have an ideology. Ideology can be challenged and debunked, while making judgements and calls on the fly is exercising superhuman rationale and staying on top of the world.
This kind of narcissism is exhausting and leads to spectacular meltdowns (which we eagerly await).

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
I love how season one Homelander was the absolute inhuman monster and they go through so much to actually show why he's the way he is through his interactions with Ryan and Storefront in season 2. It doesn't make him any less bad but I almost feel like I can understand what makes him that way. It's actually really sad, the most powerful being in existence is an unhinged narcissistic psychopath just because anyone involved in his upbringing was too terrified to try to curb him

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

It shows through in his interactions with Ryan, especially the restaurant scene, that Homelander isn't a born psychopath, he is actually capable of empathy and genuinely wants to be a good dad even if he's poo poo at it.

The show has made Homelander a tragic figure for, as Vogelbaum said, child Homelander was warm and caring before they hosed him up; Homelander didn't have to become a monster.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I like Homelander. He's my favorite TV show villain since Al Swearengen.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

cosmin posted:

don't want to derail this thread but I'm cautious about going into the Comics subforum (is there one?)

Now that I kind of finished The Boys and I found a good source for comics, is there anything else I should check out to clean my eyes and my taste buds after all this ennis-ness? Adult oriented, stand-alone arcs, no golden age superheroes, already read Transmetropolitan, The Losers, 99 Bullets, Preacher(didn't finish it), TWD but I think I missed Miller's Batman, never read any Daredevil (there was a good arc I think?), Punisher (should I start Ennis' Punisher?) etc

Irredeemable. In fact everyone who likes this show should read that book!

I also really like Invincible, but it's 135 issues or something. Super long.

My favorite comic of all time is Hellboy (and the rest of the Mignolaverse). It's nothing like the movies.

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 22, 2020

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Irredeemable seconded if you want a comic run that's basically what would happen if Homelander lost all his moorings and made good on his threat to destroy everyone and everything, and the other supes trying to mitigate the damage.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah when Homelander is like "You do that and I'll kill everyone" - Irredeemable is what that would look like
The above panel is immediately prior to Plutonian sinking the entirety of Indonesia with a diamond meteor

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Whoa, cool shirt.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

zoux posted:

Yeah when Homelander is like "You do that and I'll kill everyone" - Irredeemable is what that would look like
The above panel is immediately prior to Plutonian sinking the entirety of Indonesia with a diamond meteor

The Plutonian's inciting incident for Yet Another Superman Expy to flip his lid is pretty good, too.

He's a mild-mannered TV journalist and when he spills his guts to the Lois Lane Expy, she rejects him completely for deceiving her and runs to the broadcast control room to shriek his secret identity and they immediately go live in an attempt to broadcast it. The whole Clark Kent identity that keeps him moored to humanity gets burned in a handful of seconds.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 22, 2020

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

i've always heard that fake blood stuff is really sticky and disgusting but i think it would be a fun Life Experience to get doused in that poo poo just the one time so you can take a picture like that.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

uber_stoat posted:

i've always heard that fake blood stuff is really sticky and disgusting but i think it would be a fun Life Experience to get doused in that poo poo just the one time so you can take a picture like that.

I went to see a performance of Evil Dead The Musical and was mad that the Splash Zone was vastly overstated and almost all of the blood stayed on the stage.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Does the source material for The Boys reach a conclusion? Or is it still an ongoing series?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Zwabu posted:

Does the source material for The Boys reach a conclusion? Or is it still an ongoing series?

it's finished.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Mercifully.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

jabby posted:

There are so many little moments of Homelander noticing red flags from Stormfront and choosing to ignore them.

Homelander isn't a Nazi, but he's not exactly anti-Nazi either. If the ending hadn't happened, he might well have gone along with Storefront because 1) Nookie 2) He hates everyone, why not just run with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Homelander's relationship with Stormfront is honestly not a bad metaphor for America's relationship with The Fash at all.