Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Vil posted:

I stand corrected! Regardless, congratulations on making it past the C14 wall.

The key was the red talisman shards, its just that i hit ELO5000 right off the bat (ELO9900 to be exact) and got red talisman shards which propelled me past the requirements and got me 3xC14 right away.

Vil posted:

At this point, the biggest takeaway is that with 100% time scaling, there's no benefit whatsoever to ascending quickly, aside from that one set of achievements based on number of times ascended. As such, it's worth switching to corruptions where you'll still get the things you care about (late researches, c10x60) but might have to wait a (reasonable) length of time for them, as opposed to focusing on how much you can get done in a few seconds.
What happens at C10x60?

Vil posted:

Fair warning - the tesseract building automation research is a trap. Once you unlock it, leave it turned off. It prioritizes highest tier, and (since you should already have at least one building in each tier by now anyway) it should instead prioritize cheapest next building. Because what you care about is the total number of manually purchased buildings for the second constant upgrade.

Ah so thats why people dislike it. I have seen people complaining about it on discord but never knew the reason why. I'll make sure to turn it off.

Vil posted:

C14 strategies

Welp that is a lot to take in. I had no idea corruptions capped at 10, i thought they would go on forever and that that was the progress mechanic in endgame, thousands of corruption levels.
Why grind offerings or obtainium with corruptions running? Seems counter productive?

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Ineptitude posted:

What happens at C10x60?

Nothing, it's just the highest level you can get. More levels = more cubes.

Ineptitude posted:

Welp that is a lot to take in. I had no idea corruptions capped at 10, i thought they would go on forever and that that was the progress mechanic in endgame, thousands of corruption levels.
Why grind offerings or obtainium with corruptions running? Seems counter productive?

Corruptions boost speed. You start the run, build up a bit (challenges, researches, talismans), turn ant sacrifice off, let it build for an hour or two, then cleanse corruptions and complete as many challenges as possible which makes your accrued obtainium and offerings skyrocket. Then you sacrifice and reap the rewards.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So if anyone is playing Grim Clicker here, when you reach the second galaxy, how much corruption do you usually go for on each shard? I went with about x20 for the first one, then raised it to x40 for the second since it had an "Every hit is critial" modifier, and now I'm trying out x30 on the third one. Just wondering what a nice balance is.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Warning: :words:

Ineptitude posted:

What happens at C10x60?

Your cubes (and tesseracts and hypercubes) are governed by your score, which is the product of your base score (which basically means how many of which challenges you can do) and your corruption multiplier. Since it's multiplicative, if you take some corruptions that up your corruption multiplier by 5% but drop your base score by 80% because you can't do nearly as many challenges, your overall product goes down (to 21% in this example).

C10x60 just means getting as much score as possible from challenge 10, since it's the single biggest contributor of the challenges (each completion is 300 score apiece). A side effect of this is that any set of corruptions that lets you max out challenge 10, will also let you get significant numbers in the other challenges too, so in addition to its own contribution it doubles as a barometer to make sure the other sources of base score will also be up there.

I expect that if you got into the math, you could probably find some edge cases where adding some corruptions will be enough of a % increase to the corruption multiplier, that they could more than offset the % decrease to base score by having C10 drop to, say, 57 (and C8 drop to 25, and C7 drop to 59, and C1-C5 probably losing a dozen or two levels each...).

However, that's getting into the territory of min-maxing minor optimizations, and when giving rules of thumb, it's easiest just to say "get your corruptions as high as you can so long as you can still hit C10x60, 2500 levels in SI rune, and the last row of researches".

Ineptitude posted:

So the idea behind the offering run is this: you're not grinding the offerings themselves per se (those will come at the final ant sacrifice), you're grinding game speed to get a really long ant sacrifice. But without having to spend as much time to get one that long as you would have had to spend without the corruptions. This works because spirit effects get stronger the more corruptions you have running.

So you take all the corruptions except the one that slows down time (obviously counterproductive if you want time), the one that slows down offerings, and the one that slows down obtainium (between these, you can still get all your researches, rune levels, talisman levels, and talisman shards which buff their respective researches).

Your actual coin / mythos shard / particle progression will suck horribly of course, with all the other corruptions maxed out, so you'll get gently caress-all for challenge completions. Soft-cap on the easier ones, not even that on the harder ones, and for something like C10 you won't get any completions at all. And that's fine, because you're only doing a little bit of ant-sac during this setup process in order to be able to buy runes/talismans/researches, and in order to get the ant multiplier up a little bit.

Then you turn off auto-sac and let it just accumulate in-game time. After a real-life hour, your ant sac thinks that it's been waiting, say, a year for you to get around to saccing again. So it's got a lot of time saved up... but it'll still give lovely results because you're missing your challenge rewards.

And that's when you cleanse. Your ant sac's timer will suddenly be going up much more slowly, but that's why you wait until the timer's to your liking before cleansing. Meanwhile, cleansing means you can blast all of those challenges up to nice high numbers, particularly those juicy ELO increases from C10. Once you've gotten that squared away, then you do the sac, which still has all the time saved up from corruption-land but now has the better results from being backed with challenge completions etc.

And then you've got a one-time giant pile of offerings, which you should be careful not to accidentally spend all in one place. So you spread it around your blessings and spirits, and the next time you do an offering run you're like 8 times faster because of the speed blessing + speed spirit improvements, not to mention the benefits from the rest of the blessings and spirits.

As for the obtainium run, maxing out recession by itself is pretty harmless by that point, so it's basically just getting beefier spirit buffs (from having corruptions) with no material drawback to ant speed or obtainium gain.

Vil fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 19, 2020

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

These are some gourmet posts Vil!

Had no idea that corruptions increased game speed.

I tried doing that offering run, got to ~50 days of ant timer after an hour. Not quite years yet but it did triple my spirits and dectouple my blessings. Gonna see if i do this once a day

Spent a while tweaking corruptions, seems that cube/sec is pretty constant so its a matter of discovering just how many corruptions you can possibly stack on while still being able to eventually do at least 1xC10?
I had a corruption setup that took about 2 mins to get to my autoascend, so i added another corruption and after 5 minutes nothing had happened. I left it running overnight and it turns out it takes about 90 minutes to do a run, but cubes/sec has gone up decently.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Ineptitude posted:

These are some gourmet posts Vil!

Had no idea that corruptions increased game speed.

Specifically, corruptions make Spirits more powerful, so the effectiveness of the super corrupted run is based on how high your first Spirit is leveled.

At 100b levels I think it gives me something like 65x game speed during an offering run?

E: actually, closer to 40x, but multiplicative with other stuff I think, so...

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Oct 20, 2020

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kyrosiris posted:

At 100b levels I think it gives me something like 65x game speed during an offering run?
ha ha I caught up to you (and by that I mean I'm at 1.4e15 levels on the first spirit :v:)

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Ineptitude posted:

Spent a while tweaking corruptions, seems that cube/sec is pretty constant so its a matter of discovering just how many corruptions you can possibly stack on while still being able to eventually do at least 1xC10?
I had a corruption setup that took about 2 mins to get to my autoascend, so i added another corruption and after 5 minutes nothing had happened. I left it running overnight and it turns out it takes about 90 minutes to do a run, but cubes/sec has gone up decently.

Now that you're past C14, you generally want to turn autoascend off (you get 100% scaling with time, so long as the run lasts at least 10 sec) and do longer runs that push for more challenges.

Also, here's arguably the most important excerpt of my mega-wordy post, boldfaced for emphasis:

Vil posted:

Your cubes (and tesseracts and hypercubes) are governed by your score, which is the product of your base score (which basically means how many of which challenges you can do) and your corruption multiplier. Since it's multiplicative, if you take some corruptions that up your corruption multiplier by 5% but drop your base score by 80% because you can't do nearly as many challenges, your overall product goes down (to 21% in this example).

Your minimum requirements for cube runs should be:
- Can do 60x challenge 10 (and by extension 60x challenges 6, 7, and 9, and a decent number of the rest)
- Can hit 2500 natural/base levels in the SI rune
- Can max out 8x22 (or 8x19, since I hear 8x22 is bugged and the benefit is actually granted by 8x12 instead) so you've got all the researches that improve cube gain.

Discord's recommended starting point on corruptions (which you can then tweak further) is 0/0/4/1/0/4/10/5/10. Assuming you can hit the minimums with that, the advice for tweaking would be:

1. Increase drought and see how far you can get with SI rune; when you can no longer hit 2500 easily, drop back down by 1. You'll probably end up around 7 or 8.

2. Increase hyperchallenged and see how far you can get with challenge 10; when you can no longer get all 60 completions, drop back down by 1. If you hit 10 hyperchallenged and can still get 60 completions, drop hyperchallenged down to 1 and see if you can add 1 each of divisiveness and maladaption, while still hitting 60x C10 (odds are you can't, yet, in which case go back to 0/0/10 rather than 1/1/1).

3. (Do this step after calibrating the other two, because runs will take longer.) Increase scientific illiteracy to 1 and see if you can still get at least research 8x14 (and ideally 8x19 too) in a reasonable time frame. If you can, bump up spatial dilation from 4 to 5 and see if you can still get 8x19 in a reasonable time frame. (Going from 0 to 1 SI is enough boost that it's worth losing 8x19. Going from 4 to 5 SD is not.) Whenever you get to the point of "can't get to the goal any more", revert the latest change. You'll probably end up with 0 or 1 SI, and 4 SD.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Love waking up and absent-mindedly cleansing my corruptions because I thought I was doing an offering run instead of a cube run.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Zokari posted:

Love waking up and absent-mindedly cleansing my corruptions because I thought I was doing an offering run instead of a cube run.

I just left the game overnight in c11 because I have auto-retry on and it took me 10 minutes this morning to figure out why the hell my ascension times were 2 minutes instead of 15 seconds.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

To be fair, you end up sitting in C11 a lot because it gives you more cubes if you're farming those. :v:

E: Specifically once you've done 30/30 for C11, you always farm cubes inside of C11 if you can do C10x60 inside of it, because R7x15 gives you double spirit power while in Ascension challenges.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Vil posted:

C14 strategies

Wow that corruption setup is almost exactly the opposite of the one i used to get to C14, i had 10 of #1 and #2 and a scattering of the others, i found that to be the fastest then.

I tuned according to your advice and ended up at 0 0 4 2 0 4 10 7 10 and C10x56 (my max, i don't have the cap at 60 yet). That brings me to my next question, what should my store purchases look like now?
Currently i have 10 4 10 10 1 10 4 1 5 3 1 0 0 0

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Broken Cog posted:

So if anyone is playing Grim Clicker here, when you reach the second galaxy, how much corruption do you usually go for on each shard? I went with about x20 for the first one, then raised it to x40 for the second since it had an "Every hit is critial" modifier, and now I'm trying out x30 on the third one. Just wondering what a nice balance is.

I recently stopped playing, and I was considerably further along than you are (I got there before corruption was a thing), but I usually do zero on the first shard, then ramp up for further shards. Subsequent runs of the same shard after clearing it don't get the corruption multiplier, so I started to do more runs on the shards to build up wax multipliers to be able to run higher corruption on later shards; I haven't done the math so I don't know if it's optimal, but I was maxing for quite awhile every run and this seemed much faster as the corruption multipliers started to be a problem.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Thanatosian posted:

I recently stopped playing, and I was considerably further along than you are (I got there before corruption was a thing), but I usually do zero on the first shard, then ramp up for further shards. Subsequent runs of the same shard after clearing it don't get the corruption multiplier, so I started to do more runs on the shards to build up wax multipliers to be able to run higher corruption on later shards; I haven't done the math so I don't know if it's optimal, but I was maxing for quite awhile every run and this seemed much faster as the corruption multipliers started to be a problem.

Doesn't maxing corruption make the beginning of each shard absolutely miserable though? Before you can even make use of the flame power you build up.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Broken Cog posted:

Doesn't maxing corruption make the beginning of each shard absolutely miserable though? Before you can even make use of the flame power you build up.
Yeah, there are ways of dealing as you get further along. Definitely would not recommend maxing early, and odds are, like, ever; I was waaaaaayyyyy ahead of where corruption started when I started doing corruption (like, Galaxy 40ish, reinstalled after a long break). I think the no-corruption first shard, make a few full runs to build up wax multiplier, then start ramping corruption as you continue should work about the same even at lower levels, though. Seems like a good rhythm.

Boss chests get you souls that you can use to do things like summon rubies/bats so you can level weapons without needing to kill anything.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 21, 2020

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Thanatosian posted:

Yeah, there are ways of dealing as you get further along. Definitely would not recommend maxing early, and odds are, like, ever; I was waaaaaayyyyy ahead of where corruption started when I started doing corruption (like, Galaxy 40ish, reinstalled after a long break). I think the no-corruption first shard, make a few full runs to build up wax multiplier, then start ramping corruption as you continue should work about the same even at lower levels, though. Seems like a good rhythm.

Boss chests get you souls that you can use to do things like summon rubies/bats so you can level weapons without needing to kill anything.

Cheers, thanks for the heads up, and yeah I've been using summons to start off each shard, but it's still pretty slow. Think I'm gonna continue doing x10/x20/x40 based on the shard I'm in. The first few shards in each galaxy also seems to be good for going high, since the insane monster scaling doesn't start until a few shards into each galaxy.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
I'll hand out a few more goon keys for NGU INDUSTRIES in a couple days - just make a quick post in the NGU discord that you'd like a key, so i can easily find and bug those who want one I'd ask that you only request a key if you will be willing to give me feedback about the general flow/premise of the game, what feels good or bad etc since keys are limited atm.

Since my last post there is now:

A money-pit sort of equivalent, but instead it's a giant junkyard in space

Offline progress, kinda!

and now i'll probably work on a big space to showcase all your achievements and completion %'s for the hundreds of numbers that can go up so your Brain Feel Good.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

something posted:

Brain Feel Good.

i don't think this is possible with current technology

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

something posted:

I'll hand out a few more goon keys for NGU INDUSTRIES in a couple days - just make a quick post in the NGU discord that you'd like a key, so i can easily find and bug those who want one I'd ask that you only request a key if you will be willing to give me feedback about the general flow/premise of the game, what feels good or bad etc since keys are limited atm.

Seems like a good enough time to join the Discord, then :shobon:

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I say you set keys loose in the thread and first come first serve

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Kyrosiris posted:

To be fair, you end up sitting in C11 a lot because it gives you more cubes if you're farming those. :v:

E: Specifically once you've done 30/30 for C11, you always farm cubes inside of C11 if you can do C10x60 inside of it, because R7x15 gives you double spirit power while in Ascension challenges.

I somehow didn't realize this and jumped up to 1e9 cubes/second immediately.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
synergism trip report for those what hosed up immediately on day 1:

almost at 20k cube blessings (1-2 more ascends prob) which i have been told is around when you should do c11 the first time. ascends take about 8 hours of futzing or one overnight so i've been doing one a day and it suuuuuuuuucks

i feel like the transition to automating ascends for someone who was literally miles ahead before the drop should have been wildly easier without having to sit in a discord channel to get the beta tester's ideas cuz all y'all are doing some wild poo poo whil i sit here tabbing over to enhance and run challenges manually every 30m

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

For what it's worth, the fact that ascension cube gains are also linear past 10 seconds now has really changed the entire paradigm about ascending.

It used to be that optimal ascension times were like 1.5 seconds and it was bringing my PC to a crawl but nowadays it's "once you have 60 completions of C10, I guess? whatever".

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Another Chronicle choice questions:

Soldier or Mercenary choice, does it matter which you go for?

End of zone 4 (Coast City), should I sell or not sell the rock salt to the fat man? Selling has some minor perks but refusing doesn't seem to do anything based on the tooltip.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

KazigluBey posted:

Another Chronicle choice questions:

Soldier or Mercenary choice, does it matter which you go for?

End of zone 4 (Coast City), should I sell or not sell the rock salt to the fat man? Selling has some minor perks but refusing doesn't seem to do anything based on the tooltip.

I did soldier and the title gives +100% attack power but I have no idea what mercenary gives.

I think I chose to sell it both runs I did. I think it opens up more cooking stuff? You could always export and try it and then import if it seems like a bad decision.

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

speaking of another chronicle, i'm still not sure exactly what monster luck does.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

SynthesisAlpha posted:

You could always export and try it and then import if it seems like a bad decision.

hah, the Salt one is a "But tho must!", it circles back around now only presenting the sell option after he whines at you for one scene! Boo, I really don't like fake-out choices like this when the game makes it seem like there's something of a consequence to it.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Elissia posted:

speaking of another chronicle, i'm still not sure exactly what monster luck does.

It's a modifier to Dark Ritual, not sure if it does anything else.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

think mercenary had something like +200 luck going for it, more attack and worse hp/def. better for grinding.
e: took a look, mercenary gives +200 luck, +80% hp, +20%def, +120% atk.

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Oct 22, 2020

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Luck from titles gives you more monster research drops (not higher chance, just higher number when it does drop), I assumed luck from monsters worked the same way when slotted in party but I didn't test that. I know there is a luck value in the Dark Ritual but I haven't seen that move by completing monster luck, but maybe I just wasn't working with big enough numbers to see the Dark Ritual number move.

phantum
Jan 3, 2014

I am not crazy, just a little strange at times...
NGU Idle is the best worst game here. I started playing it about 1.5 years ago (maybe 2, can't remember) and it's sucked my life away in it's entirety. Pretty sure I've even been playing it in the shower last night, and for some reason my girlfriend hates me calling her a greasy nerd during sex. o.0

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

thanks I hate it too

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

In coast city, I'm stuck on the rock golem, all my guys are maxed out and I don't seem to have any other options- is this just a matter of grinding a couple dark rituals and using will/food orgies to eventually get my DPS high enough to deal with all three rock walls before it kills my party?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
If you pay attention to the lore it gives the secret to the golem: Use a wind spell and it will make the walls/bombs instantly die on their turn. I used Norn and the Phantom Whale, iirc

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Ooh derp, I never even noticed that- thanks!

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Rynoto posted:

If you pay attention to the lore it gives the secret to the golem: Use a wind spell and it will make the walls/bombs instantly die on their turn. I used Norn and the Phantom Whale, iirc

I also did not notice this and brute forced it, and every other boss.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
It's why I've stuck with it - the boss puzzles are neat. Treant, purification slime, and elder treant all required a little thought to beat.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

...wait, treant and purification slime had gimmicks too? I just brute forced them.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

...wait, treant and purification slime had gimmicks too? I just brute forced them.

Treant's gimmick is "gets rear end beat by lizardman" like everything else at that point in the game. Purification Slime's is don't use magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

dis astranagant posted:

Treant's gimmick is "gets rear end beat by lizardman" like everything else at that point in the game. Purification Slime's is don't use magic.

...huh, the gimmick I relied on for pretty much everything pre-golem was "The scaling in this game is loving bad, the PC with a fast melee attack will eventually turn the world into a mountain of skulls and climb to its summit."