Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I played Ultima 7 for some hours, and it felt to me more like a game that one experiences than plays. In combat, I felt like I was doing gently caress all, and there seemed to be no sense of direction. Just my initial impressions.

I ended up bailing on it after a bit because I was using... Exult? and it had a rare bug where important items could be deleted randomly and permanently. I'm the sort of epically unlucky bastard who would fall prey to that sort of thing, so I gave up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

And that's why you keep strapping halberds to mice...

All you need is a boomerang and a leather helmet.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Splicer posted:

...what have you been watching that would put this guy in your timeline
It doesn't matter if your YouTube consumption is 100% Breadtube. The mighty Algorithm will still nag you to watch Ben Shapiro and Jordan Peterson ANNIHILATING purple-haired SJWs. With Logic.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am generally in a pretty good place where YouTube knows I do not want to hear emotionally stunted white supremacists braying about villainous minorities, but it is true that every time I make the mistake of clicking on a video like that one above it suddenly gets really excited that I have finally joined the Hitler Youth and starts suggesting rampant hate to me again for a couple days until I shut it up again.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

FuzzySlippers posted:

Ultima 7 is fedex? It actually doesn't have a modern quest structure. It's just wandering around collecting clues to figure out the mystery. I'm pretty sure there are very few explicit steps. I think if you read a guide you could skip 3/4th of the game by just knowing the answer. There aren't like alternative solutions to the mystery but that doesn't seem fedex to me.

There are plenty of small side quests, but the main quest is mostly going to get item A from a guy and give it to another guy. At one point the fetch quests are nested five or six deep.

Taborcarn
Jan 8, 2020

Battle Santa

Dr. Quarex posted:

I am generally in a pretty good place where YouTube knows I do not want to hear emotionally stunted white supremacists braying about villainous minorities, but it is true that every time I make the mistake of clicking on a video like that one above it suddenly gets really excited that I have finally joined the Hitler Youth and starts suggesting rampant hate to me again for a couple days until I shut it up again.

If that ever happens you can go to your Youtube profile and remove the offending video from your watch history.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Dr. Quarex posted:

There was a time when I did not even think it was strange that I had friends with whom we would write letters back and forth to each other in Ultima runes. I doubt I still remember the whole alphabet but OBVIOUSLY it is easier to just memorize them than to find such a file
I learned Sindarin runes from the appendix of my copy of The Lord of the Rings and me and friends used those instead. I have an entire diary full of it still lying around somewhere.

JustJeff88 posted:

I played Ultima 7 for some hours, and it felt to me more like a game that one experiences than plays. In combat, I felt like I was doing gently caress all, and there seemed to be no sense of direction. Just my initial impressions.
That isn't entirely wrong. Mechanically, much of the game is pretty diffuse and obscure. What the game is about is exploration and interactivity - you can go basically anywhere and if there is some crazy but logical interaction of items to try, the game likely supports it to some degree. Make that beer bread you always wanted.

Amniotic
Jan 23, 2008

Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.

Cardiovorax posted:

I learned Sindarin runes from the appendix of my copy of The Lord of the Rings and me and friends used those instead. I have an entire diary full of it still lying around somewhere.

That isn't entirely wrong. Mechanically, much of the game is pretty diffuse and obscure. What the game is about is exploration and interactivity - you can go basically anywhere and if there is some crazy but logical interaction of items to try, the game likely supports it to some degree. Make that beer bread you always wanted.

Don't pixel hunt for that key, just drag a cannon up and blow the door off the shed.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Exactly. This may sound like a joke, but it is literally a feasible if non-standard solution to a certain quest.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Taborcarn posted:

If that ever happens you can go to your Youtube profile and remove the offending video from your watch history.
Considering I have done this many times when a toddler ends up using my phone, I am very confused that it has never occurred to me to do this when Mussolini Jr. sends his virtual troops to occupy my phone. Let me go do that right now

Cardiovorax posted:

This is the kind of thing we need to make sure future researchers find in great numbers, after we destroy everything written in our own native languages

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Dr. Quarex posted:

This is the kind of thing we need to make sure future researchers find in great numbers, after we destroy everything written in our own native languages
Have you ever heard of that ancient Sumerian scam artist who kept all the hate mail in the form of clay tablets that people sent him throughout his life? I aspire to leave a similar legacy.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dr. Quarex posted:

This is basically my theory about the Voynich Manuscript.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Amniotic posted:

Don't pixel hunt for that key, just drag a cannon up and blow the door off the shed.
I don't think this works.

You can't actually move cannons around in Ultima 7, they're too heavy.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

You can with the hack mover, and why would you ever play without it? But I think I remember it also working if you use a barrel of gunpowder instead, those are natively portable.

Boldor
Sep 4, 2004
King of the Yeeks

JustJeff88 posted:

I ended up bailing on it after a bit because I was using... Exult? and it had a rare bug where important items could be deleted randomly and permanently. I'm the sort of epically unlucky bastard who would fall prey to that sort of thing, so I gave up.

The original Ultima VII also had bugs where occasionally, parts of your inventory would just up and disappear. I don't think they were ever completely fixed.

Same thing for the original Ultima Underworld.

Ultima VI and Ultima Underworld II also had such bugs both did get fixed, I think. The former had a ton of patches over the years, which was a neat trick pre-Internet.

In all cases, you're more likely to see the bugs if you try to nest objects inside of other objects, or keep a huge number of objects in one place (happens if you are the sort of person, like me, who keeps 12 barrels on the Ultima VII magic carpet ... all full of stuff).

Chairchucker posted:

IMO the Ren Faire stuff (is that what the excessive thees and thous are called?) and the combat are U7's greatest sins. The exploration is so good, though.

Well, there's the sudden inability of your party members to feed themselves. They could feed themselves just fine in Ultima III/IV/V/VI.

And difficulty in just getting the game to run.

And I personally think the interface is obtuse, compared to any earlier Ultima.

Also, the combat isn't just bad, saying it's the worst ever in any CRPG can't be much of an exaggeration.

But it's still a great game.

Cardiovorax posted:

Other similar ways to decode your way to victory:
  • In Beyond Zork, you can use magic scrolls even with an Intelligence of 1, as you can still see what the runes on them are; the game just doesn't decipher them for you. (This requires graphics.)
  • In Master of Magic, you can know all spells you will eventually be able to research, by flipping through your spellbook and deciphering the runes.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Boldor posted:

The original Ultima VII also had bugs where occasionally, parts of your inventory would just up and disappear. I don't think they were ever completely fixed.

It's not related to Ultima VII but it just made me think of one of my favorite bug stories ever, from Ultima Online, where they were getting server crashes because horses were wandering around in people's inventories. Since the way the inventory bag worked is it was really just a little sub-world where you could move stuff around like any object on the ground, and they forgot to disable the horse AI when it was placed there, so it was wandering outside of the valid coordinates for the inventory space and causing errors.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

You can with the hack mover, and why would you ever play without it? But I think I remember it also working if you use a barrel of gunpowder instead, those are natively portable.
Well I mean then you're cheating and you could just rip the door off its hinges. Or pick yourself up and drop yourself inside the shed.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

No, cheating would be to just spawn yourself an endgame weapon and max all your stats. This is simply creative problem solving. All the hack mover really does (if you're not using it to straight-up move hindrances out of the way) is to enable a few small solutions that you might think of and that the game would allow if they existed, but that you can't normally put into place.

The game is fine with you just blowing up that door, nothing breaks if you do and the "blowing up doors" part is something it supports right from the start. Doing it with a cannon instead of one of the already existing portable explosive barrels just adds style points to something you were always able to do anyway.

e: not that a super-powerful endgame weapon and more than maxed stats are difficult to obtain with the Forge of Virtue expansion, the game fairly throws it at you and you can basically do it first thing.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

To me, the combat in Ultima 7 and 7.2 was so awful it was definitely a kind of 'watch things unfold then get back to the point and click adventure rpg thing in this amazingly huge, living world' experience. At least in Ultima 6 I felt I had *some* control over combat actions, but these games were mostly about losing my 12- to 16-year-old self in a HUGE world with REAL people doing THINGS.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Boldor posted:

And difficulty in just getting the game to run.
...but enough about Ultima 8!

I don't think I ever managed to get that clunky piece of poo poo to run. I don't remember the exact cause but I'm guessing it was impossible memory requirements.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

BadAstronaut posted:

To me, the combat in Ultima 7 and 7.2 was so awful it was definitely a kind of 'watch things unfold then get back to the point and click adventure rpg thing in this amazingly huge, living world' experience. At least in Ultima 6 I felt I had *some* control over combat actions, but these games were mostly about losing my 12- to 16-year-old self in a HUGE world with REAL people doing THINGS.

The best approach in U7 is give everyone else the magic weapons you find scattered all over the place and when you encounter something to fight you hit the combat button and wander off to do your own thing while everyone else runs off to fight.

U6 has a tactical combat system that generally works. Some fights can drag on too long, but it's not crazy to play. The magic system, OTOH, is a hodgepodge of whatever they thought of and arranged in a way that makes D&D magic seem balanced and reasonable.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Joe Man posted:

...but enough about Ultima 8!

I don't think I ever managed to get that clunky piece of poo poo to run. I don't remember the exact cause but I'm guessing it was impossible memory requirements.

This is kinda weird because U8 is when they dropped the Voodoo memory manager, the piece of garbage that made U7 and SI such pains to run, and U8 required a pretty reasonable 450K of conventional memory and 4 megs total.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

BadAstronaut posted:

My vague memory is that Serpent Isle had better combat (the smaller party helps) but I haven't revisited it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm glad to hear that I didn't grasp the wrong end of the stick. Does Exult work better now? I do recall that it made the game much better (including higher resolution), but I think that I was right to be afraid of a game-breaking bug; I had the same problem with one of the Dark Sun RPGs.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm glad to hear that I didn't grasp the wrong end of the stick. Does Exult work better now? I do recall that it made the game much better (including higher resolution), but I think that I was right to be afraid of a game-breaking bug; I had the same problem with one of the Dark Sun RPGs.
To the best of my knowledge, Exult was already working fine and essentially feature-complete as early as ten years ago. It's a remake of the engine, not the content, so it simply uses the Ultima 7 data that is already there in what is simply a more modernized environment for it to run in.

FuzzySlippers posted:

My vague memory is that Serpent Isle had better combat (the smaller party helps) but I haven't revisited it.
As far as I'm aware it doesn't. Serpent Isle is really just an expansion pack for Ultima 7, it doesn't do anything differently in a mechanical sense. If you dislike the way Ultima 7 is played, you won't really feel any different about Serpent Isle.

It is also a worse game in a lot of other ways, particularly with the highly incomplete and rushed endgame, so I guess you could call it the worst of both worlds.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ok so, finished Divine and Beyond Divinity both. Both are awesome games and I quite enjoyed the storyline/twist of Beyond Divinity. Starting Divinity 2 Directors Cut now. I’ve always wanted to play this one but never did. Anyone else dig on Divinity 2?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I don't want to bias you, but I was personally a bit disappointed by it. It has this one, big, central gimmick and I always felt it didn't make the most of it with the way it basically separated it out into essentially a gameplay mode of its own rather than really integrating it into the overall experience.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I loved Divinity 2, though it is one of the rare games I enjoyed that I never finished thanks to the (I assume long-fixed) bugged fight where it starts and then the two enemies leap away while firing insta-kill homing magic spells at you.

But yeah, it has the fighty-looty-absurdytalky goodness of the first two games, and I seem to recall Telepathy being particularly entertaining/useful. It is definitely the most action-oriented of all of them, except maybe Dragon Commander which I have still never gotten more than 15 minutes into.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
I'd like to play Baldur's Gate Icewind Dale Complete (not the remaster), but some of the mod links here appear to be broken and my search skills are weak. Can someone help me out?

https://www.gog.com/forum/icewind_dale_series/iwd_mod_guide_install_order/page1

Max Coveri fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 25, 2020

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Max Coveri posted:

I'd like to play Baldur's Gate Complete (not the remaster), but some of the mod links here appear to be broken and my search skills are weak. Can someone help me out?

https://www.gog.com/forum/icewind_dale_series/iwd_mod_guide_install_order/page1

I’m confused, the link is for Icewind Dale not Baldurs Gate.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

chaosapiant posted:

I’m confused, the link is for Icewind Dale not Baldurs Gate.

I meant Icewind Dale, sorry :doh:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Max Coveri posted:

I meant Icewind Dale, sorry :doh:

Do you own Icewind Dale through GOG? Trials of the Luremaster i believe is included in their version.

Improved bams is here
https://www.gibberlings3.net/mods/other/impbams/ (i think gibberlings just changed their file system after that was written)

I would skip IWD NPCs, especially if you've never played before. Part of the fun of IWD is making a bunch of your own guys and I'm highly suspicious of anything that adds their own writing.

Auriel's Bane is another one I'd skip if it's your first time, it changes a lot of things

And I'd really really really recommend skipping full plate and packing steel.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Skwirl posted:

Do you own Icewind Dale through GOG? Trials of the Luremaster i believe is included in their version.

Improved bams is here
https://www.gibberlings3.net/mods/other/impbams/ (i think gibberlings just changed their file system after that was written)

I would skip IWD NPCs, especially if you've never played before. Part of the fun of IWD is making a bunch of your own guys and I'm highly suspicious of anything that adds their own writing.

Auriel's Bane is another one I'd skip if it's your first time, it changes a lot of things

And I'd really really really recommend skipping full plate and packing steel.

I own it on GOG, and it's my first time. So you're saying I should just use improved bams and widescreen?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Max Coveri posted:

I own it on GOG, and it's my first time. So you're saying I should just use improved bams and widescreen?

No, the other stuff that I didn't mention is all fine, Bams was the only link I clicked on that didn't work, so i found the link. Lemme know if you have issues with anything else (you also don't need the Heart of Winter patch, that's included in gog).

Oh and use the fix pack that list recommends, not the Redrakes.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Skwirl posted:

No, the other stuff that I didn't mention is all fine, Bams was the only link I clicked on that didn't work, so i found the link. Lemme know if you have issues with anything else (you also don't need the Heart of Winter patch, that's included in gog).

Oh and use the fix pack that list recommends, not the Redrakes.

Alright, thanks a lot.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Dr. Quarex posted:

I loved Divinity 2, though it is one of the rare games I enjoyed that I never finished thanks to the (I assume long-fixed) bugged fight where it starts and then the two enemies leap away while firing insta-kill homing magic spells at you.

But yeah, it has the fighty-looty-absurdytalky goodness of the first two games, and I seem to recall Telepathy being particularly entertaining/useful. It is definitely the most action-oriented of all of them, except maybe Dragon Commander which I have still never gotten more than 15 minutes into.

I’m about 11 hours in and am really enjoying it. There’s so much drat detail packed into every nook and cranny that it’s an explorer’s dream. Wish I’d played these games sooner.

After beating the first two games and playing this one, I’ve really come around on the writing. The games’ plot, while generic, is well told and they all have lots of twists and turns and neat characters and side quests. They all seem built with love. I even read the Beyond Divinity Novella and throughly enjoyed it.

Speaking of the novella, is there another novella or story or write-up somewhere on what happened between Beyond Divinity and Ego Draconis? They refer to a Great War and the Divine One being dead and the lord of the Dragon Knights seems interesting.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Divinity 2 has really underappreciated writing. The plot is good enough to keep your attention (I still want to know what happens after the cliffhanger ending!!!) and it has some of the funniest, sharpest writing in the series. OS1 (and OS2 to a lesser extent) were a step backwards.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Divinity 2 has really underappreciated writing. The plot is good enough to keep your attention (I still want to know what happens after the cliffhanger ending!!!) and it has some of the funniest, sharpest writing in the series. OS1 (and OS2 to a lesser extent) were a step backwards.

I kinda wonder if that's because OS1 and 2 are prequels though. OS1 is a distant prequel to the point that it feels kind of meaningless in the grand scheme while OS2 is an interquel set between Beyond Divinity and Divinity 2 and feels really awkward as a result and I'm left wondering how the game actually ties into Divinity 2 because of plot issues it creates.

I dunno why Larian couldn't just make Divinity 3, finish the Divine One/Damned One story and then start afresh with whatever they want instead of adding more baggage to the series through prequels and interquels.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m kinda hoping Div 3 will be another isometric game but actually picks up and finishes the story of Ego Draconis/Flames of Vengeance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

chaosapiant posted:

I’m kinda hoping Div 3 will be another isometric game but actually picks up and finishes the story of Ego Draconis/Flames of Vengeance.

Divinity 2: Flames of Vengeance was ok however I still hate the final mission in it. Hope you remembered how to dragon-mode fight and upgraded all your dragon-form gear!

Not really an old-school RPG game, but I finally installed Vampire: Bloodlines 1 last week and beat it for first and only time over the weekend.
1st attempt at character-generation in Bloodlines 1 had me as a Malkavian, which I said gently caress no to, then managed to re-roll as a Tremere which I stuck with. Bloodlines 1 had me hooked until I hit the Nosferatu Warrens, which were terrible and rambling and pointless. After that I kept playing Bloodlines 1 just to finish out the game, and ended up turning on God-mode forever when the werewolf ambush happened. I did like how the unaffiliated ending played out, which summed up my feels on Bloodlines 1 in general.

Dragonlance rpg:
Kender are immune to fear effects, multiple locations and enemies in the Dragonlance setting emit fear (the wizard forests and death-knights?). Stick the kender in those areas forever with rumors of amazing adventure and loot.
or
Reveal that Kender are really mind-flayers/a missing-link variant of mind-flayers.