Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Now if only Chase would let me load my Freedom Flex into Samsung Pay, everything would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bank posted:

I try not to do that until the last few days of the bonus period. There are so many websites out there that take Paypal. Even this morning I needed some supplies from Home Depot, buying them online for delivery worked better for me and I used Paypal. You'll never know if a last minute purchase comes up that qualifies, so don't burn through it if you don't have to.

It's the only thing I'm using that card for at the moment, so don't think I'll come close to maxing out but I'll keep an eye on things just in case there's a big non-fee'd payment I can jam through in the lead up to Xmas though, good plan.

astral posted:

And if you're near your limit and only have the classic Freedom, Chase doesn't prevent you from also getting the Flex for another $1500/quarter in bonus spending + the signup bonus. I'm still shocked they didn't try to tell people "YOU ALREADY HAVE THE FREEDOM, WOULD YOU LIKE TO PRODUCT CHANGE?"

Useful to know, I'm only an authorized user on this card, so when I've had my current CC open a while I'll see if they'll accept me on that one too.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

astral posted:

I'm still shocked they didn't try to tell people "YOU ALREADY HAVE THE FREEDOM, WOULD YOU LIKE TO PRODUCT CHANGE?"

I don't have the link to the REDDIT thread where someone posted this, but it boils down to Chase having their own interchange pipeline or something, so they can cut some of the middlemen out of the processing fees. They save some money this way, capture market share, and processing so much that they could do it for other companies as well allowing them to make boatloads of money. That's why they are super pushy on bonuses and getting people to sign up for their cards, it's all a huge investment for them.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

EL BROMANCE posted:

The Paypal 5% on Chase is so bittersweet when I have to pay an extra bunch of charges to use the CC to send F&F compared to my regular account, but still works out worthwhile. Grumble grumble. (My mother in law doesn't have a working Paypal account so I send up to about $1,000 in charity donations for her and she pays me back at the end of the month, having the bonus money from it is nice at least!)

Chase's Pay Yourself Back feature allows you to get +25% on charitable donations this quarter, so check that out too:

quote:

Choose your recent purchases
Currently, the category for pay yourself back is: select charitable organizations. Redeem for purchases in this category made with your Chase card with Ultimate Rewards.

After each purchase posts, you have 90 days to pay yourself back.
+25% MORE POINTS VALUE
You'll get 25% more value from your points when you pay yourself back for eligible purchases listed below.

astral posted:

And if you're near your quarterly limit and only have the classic Freedom, Chase doesn't prevent you from also getting the Flex for another $1500/quarter in bonus spending + the signup bonus. I'm still shocked they didn't try to tell people "YOU ALREADY HAVE THE FREEDOM, WOULD YOU LIKE TO PRODUCT CHANGE?"
Yeah, I made sure to get the Freedom right before they closed it, and then got the Flex a little after. Having both is nice, though apparently there was no cap on how many regular Freedom cards you could have before.

I recently used my Paypal Key to max my 5% back on PredictIt. So that was $3,000 on my Freedom/Flex (5% back), then another $1,700 or so on my Unlimited (1.5%). Each of my bets should be making 15% return or so, so that should be a ~20% return on my money in about 3 weeks. :v:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Chase even makes payment terminals. I wonder if we'll see more of those as contactless payments become more prevalent and signature requirements fade out.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

astral posted:

Chase even makes payment terminals. I wonder if we'll see more of those as contactless payments become more prevalent and signature requirements fade out.

You're not already seeing that? Even (now) crusty looking first gen chip terminals are very likely contactless payment.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Motronic posted:

You're not already seeing that? Even (now) crusty looking first gen chip terminals are very likely contactless payment.

I was talking specifically about the (usually portable) Chase-branded terminals, like these:

Granted I haven't been going to a lot of restaurants etc. this year, so they may have proliferated without me seeing them. :)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

astral posted:

I was talking specifically about the (usually portable) Chase-branded terminals, like these:

Granted I haven't been going to a lot of restaurants etc. this year, so they may have proliferated without me seeing them. :)

I mean....I get that. But what I'm saying is that it's a lot MORE than that.

When every retailer got the burden shifted to them if they couldn't do chip a lot of them got new machines to support chip and still couldn't do chip for a while because of whatever software issues. Almost every one of those terminals I've seen have the hardware to to contactless. So whether they do or not is most likely a software problem.

I used contactless a few months back at my local hardware store. Out of habit from other places. And the cashier was like "that doesn't work........oh....." as the payment went through.

Then you have other places who have to have the cashiers punch a button for contactless payments to work. WHY WAWA WHY???

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Motronic posted:

I mean....I get that. But what I'm saying is that it's a lot MORE than that.

When every retailer got the burden shifted to them if they couldn't do chip a lot of them got new machines to support chip and still couldn't do chip for a while because of whatever software issues. Almost every one of those terminals I've seen have the hardware to to contactless. So whether they do or not is most likely a software problem.

I used contactless a few months back at my local hardware store. Out of habit from other places. And the cashier was like "that doesn't work........oh....." as the payment went through.

Then you have other places who have to have the cashiers punch a button for contactless payments to work. WHY WAWA WHY???

Yeah, I've had experiences like that, and I've also had ones where I'd ask if they accepted tap-to-pay/contactless payments and the cashier would look at me like I'm from another planet for thinking they ought to. There are still some extremely large chains that refuse to embrace NFC payments - Bed Bath and Beyond was a major holdout that only started supporting them this year, and it even seems possible that Walmart will consider adopting it, though I wouldn't bet on it. Kroger finally started testing NFC in one of its chains (QFC, around Seattle) a few months ago.

Meanwhile there are a ton of small (and chain) restaurants that, last I'd been, appeared to have bought a single machine with a swipe reader in the 90s and were still happy with it. Those are the ones I had in mind when I wrote my original post; the Chase terminals seem especially good for restaurants since they can bring you the terminal, you never lose sight of your card, and the tip is done right then and there instead of handwritten on a receipt and processed later.

The setups where the cashier has to activate the terminal separately to begin with are absolutely the worst. Bonus points if it's also one of the ones where it apparently can't figure out the application on your card automatically, so you have to tell them it's a Visa/Mastercard, etc. for them to hit that specific button before it powers the terminal.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

astral posted:

the Chase terminals seem especially good for restaurants since they can bring you the terminal, you never lose sight of your card, and the tip is done right then and there instead of handwritten on a receipt and processed later.

Now see that's a totally different thing that depends not only on hardware but on customs. I love that bringing the terminal to me at a sit down restaurant in Sweden is the default. Estonia too? Those are about the only two places I've spent any real time overseas in the last 5 years. The US needs to stop being so dumb about this.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
One big retailer that doesn't do NFC is Home Depot. They have these huge plastic barriers because of Covid (that people tend to walk around anyway) then the cashier has you insert your card into some locked down terminal. It drives me nuts because they have a wireless barcode scanner but can't do contactless payments..ugh.

Then at the McD drive thru the other day the car in front of me paid with their Apple watch. The cashier basically stuck out this long wand with the NFC receiver on it. It's so polarizing.

The wireless terminals are fairly new on the US I suspect..at least a few restaurants around me use them, and it's great except for when you tell them how much to add for a tip, then awkwardness ensues, especially if you give anything under 18% these days.

Pretty much all over Europe they have wireless terminals, and they're great. Tipping is not expected so there's never any awkwardness. When we do tip (at least for work) they are stunned and super appreciative.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

saintonan posted:

Now if only Chase would let me load my Freedom Flex into Samsung Pay, everything would be great.

They won't let me load mine in to Google pay even though I have multiple other Chase cards in there. Is this just a thing with this card?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

astral posted:

There are still some extremely large chains that refuse to embrace NFC payments - Bed Bath and Beyond was a major holdout that only started supporting them this year,

As an aside, I used to work at one. Until late 2018, the majority of locations were still using registers and payment software stuff from 1989, and converting stores to new systems was a painfully slow process compared to other retailers, and no doubt expensive to do while they were simultaneously closing stores, cutting hours and staff everywhere. We had the terminals for chip reading like a year prior and they started converting some stores to newer systems, but they were so rear end-backwards with a lot of stuff that some stores still didn't have even full chip capability when I left in 2019. Don't expect them to ever be on the cutting edge of anything.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Thoguh posted:

They won't let me load mine in to Google pay even though I have multiple other Chase cards in there. Is this just a thing with this card?

Yeah for whatever reason the Flex isn't set up for digital wallets yet.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Could it be something with the fact it's a Mastercard and everything else is Visa?

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

ranbo das posted:

Could it be something with the fact it's a Mastercard and everything else is Visa?
The Flex also doesn't have tap-to-pay, while the Unlimited and even the regular Freedom does. It's a minor inconvenience, but makes no sense to me.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

literally this big posted:

The Flex also doesn't have tap-to-pay, while the Unlimited and even the regular Freedom does. It's a minor inconvenience, but makes no sense to me.

Getting the feeling that Chase rushed it out before they had important infrastructure in place.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

More temporary grocery store earnings on CSR/CSP:

ugh, TPG posted:

Chase Sapphire Reserve cardholders will earn 3x on up to $1,000 in monthly grocery store purchases, while Chase Sapphire Preferred Card members will earn 2x on up to $1,000 in monthly grocery store purchases. This new bonus category starts Nov. 1, 2020, and goes through April 30, 2021.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

saintonan posted:

Yeah for whatever reason the Flex isn't set up for digital wallets yet.

My IHG Mastercard does not show up in the list of cards I can add to my digital wallet in the Chase app, yet all the other cards (Visas) do.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Looks like there's a nice no-annual-fee introductory offer for the Blue Cash Preferred (6% back on groceries) if anyone's looking for a good grocery card and hasn't had this one before. Has a $300 welcome bonus if you spend $3k in six months.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Anyone here try using the Best Buy credit card? Was looking at buying a TV at the local store, thought it might make for a good purchase to put on that card. However there doesn't seem to be a big incentive for using it, all it seems to do is give you points, not an actual discount on purchases. Any thoughts/experiences?

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Store cards are usually good for no interest financing, and that's...about it. The no interest typically is only good for new accounts, sometimes for existing cardholders.

I'd not use that card and instead use a card to get closer to a sign up bonus or maximize cash back, ideally with a card that extends warranty service as well. FWIW Amazon sells Best Buy gift cards, so if you have an Amazon card that nets you 5% back, you could do that, but you'd miss out on warranty extensions with a different card, and credit card protection for your purchase.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
It doesn't look worth using IMO.
3% on groceries is nice, but I think it's been years since I bought anything from Best Buy. If you buy enough, I suppose it's worth it

Bank has a good point. Depending on your price range, maybe you could sign up for some card with a nice signup bonus, knock that out with the TV purchase, and then never use the card again

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Rejected for the Freedom Flex w/ an 865 credit score because of "Too many recent requests for credit or reviews of your credit." I applied for a Chase card back in March, and I got a car loan from USAA in September, but otherwise have no pulls on my credit this year at all. Any ideas/thoughts before I call in for reconsideration?

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Nur_Neerg posted:

Rejected for the Freedom Flex w/ an 865 credit score
Are you sure it's 865? Where are you pulling the score from?

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Bank posted:

Are you sure it's 865? Where are you pulling the score from?

The Chase rejection letter via "Card Acquisition Risk Score V2" :)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Nur_Neerg posted:

Rejected for the Freedom Flex w/ an 865 credit score because of "Too many recent requests for credit or reviews of your credit." I applied for a Chase card back in March, and I got a car loan from USAA in September, but otherwise have no pulls on my credit this year at all. Any ideas/thoughts before I call in for reconsideration?

How many inquiries did the car loan show up as on the report? Did you shop around before deciding on USAA?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I thought credit scores maxed out at 850

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

astral posted:

How many inquiries did the car loan show up as on the report? Did you shop around before deciding on USAA?

From looking on Mint, it's only showing the pull once, and that was the only place I even looked honestly, just compared their rate to market and what the dealer thought they could do.

Power of Pecota posted:

I thought credit scores maxed out at 850

The system they pulled from goes 200-900 according to their communication *shrugs*

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Nur_Neerg posted:

From looking on Mint, it's only showing the pull once, and that was the only place I even looked honestly, just compared their rate to market and what the dealer thought they could do.

The system they pulled from goes 200-900 according to their communication *shrugs*

Rather than whatever Mint is pulling, you should look at the actual report (the rejection letter ought to have a code to let you do this for free) to see what it says. If that doesn't work for some reason, check the actual report of the bureau(s) they pulled from using your mandated free annual credit report(s), if you still have it/them available.

If nothing's amiss, reconsideration should be able to take care of you.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

astral posted:

Rather than whatever Mint is pulling, you should look at the actual report (the rejection letter ought to have a code to let you do this for free) to see what it says. If that doesn't work for some reason, check the actual report of the bureau(s) they pulled from using your mandated free annual credit report(s), if you still have it/them available.

If nothing's amiss, reconsideration should be able to take care of you.

Well it looks like the dealer, despite me telling them I already had my financing arranged and was uninterested in theirs, ran my credit 4 times, once for themselves and thrice with random lenders. :v: Would reconsideration care at all, or should I just wait it out for Chase applications?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nur_Neerg posted:

Well it looks like the dealer, despite me telling them I already had my financing arranged and was uninterested in theirs, ran my credit 4 times, once for themselves and thrice with random lenders. :v: Would reconsideration care at all, or should I just wait it out for Chase applications?

No action is necessary. All of this counts as one pull because it's the same type of loan product within a couple of weeks.

E: sorry, this is why you had a problem with chase - I thought this was a complaint about too many hard inquiries.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 5, 2020

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Nur_Neerg posted:

Can't hurt to call their reconsideration line. A human representative is more likely to be understanding of your situation than their automated system, that's for sure.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Nur_Neerg posted:

You could probably dispute that directly with the credit bureau, if you'd like, or contact the dealer and have them fix their mistake instead, but I suspect calling Chase's recon and explaining what happened would go well even without the extra work.

As mentioned, loan inquiries done around the same time get grouped in most scoring models because they understand how shopping around for a good rate works. That "Card Acquisition Risk Score V2" sounds like an internal model and not one of the FICO ones, so my guess would be that there's a flaw in their algorithm like too narrow a window for shopping around.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Nur_Neerg posted:

The Chase rejection letter via "Card Acquisition Risk Score V2" :)

Yeah, like others said, this isn't a credit score. It's some internal Chase score they assigned to you, and the ceiling is likely higher than 865 and/or the recent car purchase inquiries hit you. In any case, call the recon line. Those car inquiries should just be counted as one though, so your score shouldn't be hit as hard as you think.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Bank posted:

Yeah, like others said, this isn't a credit score. It's some internal Chase score they assigned to you, and the ceiling is likely higher than 865 and/or the recent car purchase inquiries hit you. In any case, call the recon line. Those car inquiries should just be counted as one though, so your score shouldn't be hit as hard as you think.

Why not both?

Will definitely give 'em a call, thanks :)

E: Yes, I know it's not one of the majors :colbert:

Nur_Neerg fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 6, 2020

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Moneyball posted:

It doesn't look worth using IMO.
3% on groceries is nice, but I think it's been years since I bought anything from Best Buy. If you buy enough, I suppose it's worth it

Bank has a good point. Depending on your price range, maybe you could sign up for some card with a nice signup bonus, knock that out with the TV purchase, and then never use the card again

I ended up forgoing the Best Buy credit card, put some of the expenses on my BOA credit card and the rest on my debit credit. You're right, I don't think I'd use that card enough to justify signing up, perhaps I'll look at a Target card.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I just bought a new house, and now that the loan is closed, I wanted to get some new CCs since I haven't been able to open in a while (both signup churn and a permanent IKEA card for utilities).

Turns out if you just give them your new address they will decline you since you have no history with that address yet.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Xenoborg posted:

I just bought a new house, and now that the loan is closed, I wanted to get some new CCs since I haven't been able to open in a while (both signup churn and a permanent IKEA card for utilities).

Turns out if you just give them your new address they will decline you since you have no history with that address yet.

Update your address with all your existing cards/banks. Note that sometimes you have to do this per-card. Next time they report, the new address will be attached.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Whats the best use of a large prepaid Visa debit card? I get them at work sometimes for $50-100, and generally just dump them into my Steam or Amazon balance so I don't have to keep track of them. I just got a $1000 one though, which is quite a bit more than is useful at those places. I'd love to be able to just put it in a bank account, but that doesn't seem possible without hoops and losing several %.

edit: Its website specifies that it has no ATM access and does not do bank transfers.

Xenoborg fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 15, 2020