Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

AirRaid posted:

To provide closure on this, I looked at ordering paste, which was going to cost me £7.

But then I said why bother with half measures, so now I have ordered a Noctua NH-D15 and a new case exhaust fan, totaling just over £85. :shepspends:
The cooler comes with paste though!

Turns out one of the fans on my Hyper 212 has a dodgy cable and wasn't spinning til I fiddled with it, too.

I did a similar swap the other day, from Hyper 212 to NH-D15S (the version with the offset). :goodshit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Zarin posted:

Hmm, so I have an EVGA motherboard and EVGA GPU.

I don't see anything about the motherboard in Precision X1; is there a unified software that would monitor/control GPU, CPU, and case fans (assuming the case fans were plugged into the motherboard)?

I figure I'm looking at redoing all my case fans next month, potentially via a standalone PWM header. I figure it'd be nice if I could monitor/control all of it via software. My case has a header that I can plug fans into and control via a dial, but I think that's all molex.

Their software isn't unified. Unfortunately I don't think anybody does that yet.

Their motherboard software is this terribly named thing here: https://www.evga.com/eleet/

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Zarin posted:

Hmm, so I have an EVGA motherboard and EVGA GPU.

I don't see anything about the motherboard in Precision X1; is there a unified software that would monitor/control GPU, CPU, and case fans (assuming the case fans were plugged into the motherboard)?

I figure I'm looking at redoing all my case fans next month, potentially via a standalone PWM header. I figure it'd be nice if I could monitor/control all of it via software. My case has a header that I can plug fans into and control via a dial, but I think that's all molex.

Argus may do what you want but costs money.

There's also a project made by this dude which is free but mb support is not a given and I can't say how safe or effective it is

https://github.com/Rem0o/FanControl.Releases

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Cygni posted:

Their software isn't unified. Unfortunately I don't think anybody does that yet.

Their motherboard software is this terribly named thing here: https://www.evga.com/eleet/

I'll have to give this a look! Computer wants to restart anyway for a Windows update so I'll have to remember to look at the splash screen to pick the correct motherboard (gonna bet its a Z370 tho)

VorpalFish posted:

Argus may do what you want but costs money.

There's also a project made by this dude which is free but mb support is not a given and I can't say how safe or effective it is

https://github.com/Rem0o/FanControl.Releases

Oh, that's all pretty scary haha

Edit: Is something like that normally how people need to control their case fan speeds in realtime? Or is it typically just done through the BIOS?

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Zarin posted:

Edit: Is something like that normally how people need to control their case fan speeds in realtime? Or is it typically just done through the BIOS?

Yeah I should qualify that by saying I have not audited that dudes code nor am I qualified to do so. Just something I saw someone using and made a mental note to check out when I finish my build if I ever get parts so...

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Cygni posted:

Youre extremely close i think. Going by the spreadsheet, they are up to 11:48 on 9/16 for the XC3 Ultra. Of course, they need an actual delivery so who knows how long that might take...

I of course only signed up early for the black and gaming, because at the ultra price why not get an ftw, and I do not have high hopes of them making or selling any.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Zarin posted:

I'll have to give this a look! Computer wants to restart anyway for a Windows update so I'll have to remember to look at the splash screen to pick the correct motherboard (gonna bet its a Z370 tho)

I picked up Argus to easily control case fans off GPU temps but the interface is much nicer and has more features than any BIOS or manufacturer software I've used which is a plus.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Cygni posted:

Youre extremely close i think. Going by the spreadsheet, they are up to 11:48 on 9/16 for the XC3 Ultra. Of course, they need an actual delivery so who knows how long that might take...

Where’s the spreadsheet? I’m 9/20 for the black and I’m wondering it it’s gonna be a thing soon.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-ashes-of-the-singularity-performance-leaks

3070 ashes of the memeularity benchmarks leaked

its within a few percent of the 2080ti

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

repiv posted:

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-ashes-of-the-singularity-performance-leaks

3070 ashes of the memeularity benchmarks leaked

its within a few percent of the 2080ti

I was considering trying to go for a 3070 FE after failing to get a 3080 FE for a month, but I might keep holding out.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Rolo posted:

Where’s the spreadsheet? I’m 9/20 for the black and I’m wondering it it’s gonna be a thing soon.

GDox Link

Unfortunately they haven't had any Black/Gaming since launch day, all of their production is going to XC3/FTW3 Ultras.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Rumors swirling in the twitterverse suggest the high ram variant Nvidia cards are cancelled.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh those cards that only existed in twitterverse rumors in the first place?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

oh those cards that only existed in twitterverse rumors in the first place?

gigabyte had the 16gb and 20gb cards listed on their site, they were 100% real at some point

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Taima posted:

Rumors swirling in the twitterverse suggest the high ram variant Nvidia cards are cancelled.

Last page:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

The interesting part is that those SKUs were widely understood to be there as a possible defense to next level RX 6000 GPUs. So, maybe they saw some data and just went nah we're good

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Taima posted:

The interesting part is that those SKUs were widely understood to be there as a possible defense to next level RX 6000 GPUs. So, maybe they saw some data and just went nah we're good

More like they literally can't even make them if they tried

Why even bother with new models if they can't make the current ones to save their lives

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Why even bother with new models if they can't make the current ones to save their lives

Yeah I think that's the more likely explanation, supplies are just too tight.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Taima posted:

More likely that they don't need to cannibalize their existing lineup when they are redoing Ampere at TSMC. Digitimes reported that they booked "a lot" of 7nm space relatively recently above and beyond what they had planned for their data center cards.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

MikeC posted:

More likely that they don't need to cannibalize their existing lineup when they are redoing Ampere at TSMC. Digitimes reported that they booked "a lot" of 7nm space relatively recently above and beyond what they had planned for their data center cards.

When would that come, like Q3 next year?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol the videocardz article that discusses the cancellation rumor has this to say:

quote:

The RTX 3080 20GB might have been scrapped due to low GDDR6X yield issues, one source claims.

“it’s a demand issue, not a supply issue”

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Also, if the 7nm rumors are true, maybe they want to save the higher VRAM models for that.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Taima posted:

When would that come, like Q3 next year?

It depends on the timeline for when they decided to pivot. If their rework on TSMC 7nm is true, then design work would have been started a long time ago or they might as well have waited for Hopper on TSMC 5nm. It could be that Nvidia was planning on the switch to TSMC after Apple and other vacated the node in 2021 and that the high GB versions of the Samsung 8nm cards was just a safety net in case the negotiations for fab space went badly. It obviously isn't a trivial task to move the design over so if it is a respin, then work would have been started long before the Digitimes report. This might be why there were so many persistent rumors on Ampere being on various nodes. The transition to TSMC 7 might have been well underway before Summer this year.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

MikeC posted:

It obviously isn't a trivial task to move the design over so if it is a respin, then work would have been started long before the Digitimes report.

then again they already have a TSMC 7nm ampere design for the A100, it's only missing a few pieces (rt cores/video encoder/display engine) that may have already been designed alongside A100 and set aside for later

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

repiv posted:

then again they already have a TSMC 7nm ampere design for the A100, it's only missing a few pieces (rt cores/video encoder/display engine) that may have already been designed alongside A100 and set aside for later

That is very true. I feel very torn right now. My gut is saying Ampere are going to be mediocre in the mid to long term but I have this hosed up emotional need to play CP 2077 with RTX. Maybe this supply situation will just fix the situation for me, Ampere will not exist in stock before the game comes out and I can just play the game without it, and sit this generation out since there isn't anything else atm with RT that I am really that hyped up for.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I had a dream that a day after the US elections there was a huge shipment of 3080’s and everyone bought one. I was pre-loading Cyberpunk 2077 on Steam right as I was woken up by a Discord alert saying Zotac had cards in stock (they didn’t.)

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Another thing worth keeping an eye out for is the 3070 supply situation, if Nvidia manages to ship substantially more of them, the supply bottleneck could be G6X instead of the chip node.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

As someone who managed to snag a 3080, I will find it extremely funny when nvidia puts out a better performing and more easily available 7nm 3080.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

shrike82 posted:

Another thing worth keeping an eye out for is the 3070 supply situation, if Nvidia manages to ship substantially more of them, the supply bottleneck could be G6X instead of the chip node.

You mean the demand situation and the demand bottle neck.

No supply only demand!

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Rubellavator posted:

As someone who managed to snag a 3080, I will find it extremely funny when nvidia puts out a better performing and more easily available 7nm 3080.

They will have had the card probably 6+ months before a respin launches. And who knows what the supply situation is like for 7nm. We don't know how much more allocation they managed to snag since AMD is hogging a ton of it. Ampere 7nm might be just as hosed up as this current situation in terms of supply. If they had a need for it then it wasn't a waste.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

MikeC posted:

That is very true. I feel very torn right now. My gut is saying Ampere are going to be mediocre in the mid to long term but I have this hosed up emotional need to play CP 2077 with RTX. Maybe this supply situation will just fix the situation for me, Ampere will not exist in stock before the game comes out and I can just play the game without it, and sit this generation out since there isn't anything else atm with RT that I am really that hyped up for.

There's always something else coming. Yeah, TSMC versions of the 3080 would be great, but we're probably not gonna see them until the 3080S/Ti refresh a year from now. Waiting a month or two for supplies to stabilize won't change the valuation much. If we're 6 months from now and still talking about buying or not, then yeah, maybe waiting for the refresh makes more sense at that point.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

spunkshui posted:

You mean the demand situation and the demand bottle neck.

No supply only demand!

You are oddly single-minded that the only issue here is NVidia's ability to produce cards, despite many of the players in the actual supply chain stating that supplies are similar or better than they've been for previous launches. You doin' ok, man?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
"Players in the supply chain" here is nvidia and nvidia partner PR people. PR people would never do damage control, it's true. Especially not on the internet!

*3080 queue moves by another 4 spots this week*

ah, well, nevertheless

shrike82 posted:

yeah it's gonna be fun to watch that

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

DrDork posted:

You are oddly single-minded that the only issue here is NVidia's ability to produce cards, despite many of the players in the actual supply chain stating that supplies are similar or better than they've been for previous launches. You doin' ok, man?

People are frustrated they can't get cards and raging at nvidia makes them feel better I guess.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Truga posted:

"Players in the supply chain" here is nvidia and nvidia partner PR people. PR people would never do damage control, it's true. Especially not on the internet!

Yeah, it's absolutely slow going, which is frustrating. But I gotta ask...did anyone give a this much of a poo poo about Turing's launch? Like, after seeing the performance and prices announced, I just hosed off entirely because I already had a 1080Ti, so why bother? I have a sneaking suspicion most people in this thread did likewise.

Up-thread I did some basic math suggesting that somewhere around 40,000 high-end cards/month was probably ballpark for NVidia at full production. Cut that in maybe half for ramp-up production numbers, split that 20k over both the 3080 and 3090, split that over dozens of countries each with multiple retailers and...yeah. Not a lot to go around, even without production difficulties.

e; I mean, I'm not saying it isn't production issues of some sort. But it does seem strange to me to insist so fervently on one specific issue (8nm sux or GDDR6X sux--seems to be a coin flip between which is "obviously the issue") when there are other explanations available and we have absolutely no way of independently verifying anything involved with the issue.

That said, I want my fuckin' 3080, NVidia. GEIV NOW.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 22, 2020

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol i'm the PR person going "actually supply is poo poo"

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

shrike82 posted:

lol i'm the PR person going "actually supply is poo poo"

This check out. Mystery solved.

Now on to figuring out the over/under on the validity of the Sphyre Promise(tm).

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Truga posted:

ah, well, nevertheless

The AIB partners LOVE to throw Nvidia (and AMD, for that matter) under the bus basically whenever they can. Remember all the hub-bub when the AIB partners over ordered Pascal parts for the mining bubble right before it crashed, and they all "anonymously" started whining about mean Nvidia not taking returns? Or when the 2080 Ti launched with zero/low stock and they leaked pictures of their stack of printed boxes waiting for cards? Or when they leaked that Nvidia was making them buy the GPU+DDR5X as a bundle with Pascal, because they wanted to source their own memory and Nvidia wasnt letting them? Or when they leaked that Nvidia wasn't allowing them to use the same branding for AMD and Nvidia products?

If they could leak that its all Nvidia's fault at this point, I'm pretty confident they would love to do so. Instead GN said in today's news video that the partners reported that they were getting more stock than Pascal. Considering the source, I am going to believe that.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I can confirm without a doubt that the Sphyre Promise™ worked for me and I'm feelin' fine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

DrDork posted:

No, I'm very annoyed I literally cant just order this card and wait for it to get here.

I'm also pretty sure 15 cards per store across the USA is not normal for microcenter. They only have 25 stores so we are talking about maybe 500 GPUs. Amazon had nothing.

Amazon had nothing.

edit: 5000 gpus for microcenter would have still been low but it wouldn't have been "lol no point in trying" low

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 22, 2020