Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The granny tranny has a pto output but mine didn’t have a pto . I also didn’t have the throttle knob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

https://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/cto/d/tacoma-1960-mercedes-benz-190-ponton/7215998824.html

quote:

The time has come to sell our classic Mercedes. Been in our family for about 6 years now and purchased it from a family friend prior which he owned since the early 80s. Reason for sale is because we just don’t have time to enjoy it like we used to. It’s been in a few classic shows and it’s time for someone else to appreciate it.

- Clean title W/ 62k on the ODO.
- 1.9l Gasoline runs great.
- 4 speed manual on the column
- exterior is 8/10 ( paint is in decent shape, a couple chrome pieces are off as you can see in pics but we have them I just couldn’t find the clips to replace the broken ones ).
- Within past 2 years the carb has been rebuilt and had a general tune up by bristows in Tacoma and a new battery.
- Within the last year it’s gotten a complete fuel system refurbish including new fuel filter and had the gas tank cleaned and recoated.
- gas door lock is tricky to turn. ( lock cylinder needs attention. )
- factory webasto sliding top ( rare option ) no leaks!
- Both front heater fan motors work.
- have all receipts dating back to late 70s.
- starter was rebuilt by the rebuilder in Kent a few months ago.

Or best offer on price.

Message if you have any additional questions or if you’d like to schedule a viewing.

Tell me I'm crazy for wanting to go check out a 1960s Mercedes as a possible daily driver (not that anyone is driving much these days, including me), cause I'm in love with the looks on this car, and it seems like a pretty reasonable price based on some quick googling.

Reliability isn't paramount to me, as I don't really have any where to go, and I'm honestly pretty bored with the GTI so this would be a main car (though I also have a motorcycle). Are parts unobtanium or simply difficult to find?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

BUY IT

I mean, I have no direct answers to your questions, but fuuuuuuuuck, that thing is cool.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Parts would be main concern, checking a couple sites real quick (fcp, pelican) I'm not seeing much. Rockauto actually has a somewhat better selection of basic maintenance items. I'm sure you can find most general parts but might be at the mercy of ebay or special interest groups for anything else.

IMO buy it, daily drive it and start a thread on here. I've been thinking about selling the newer DD and using one of the older cars since I've gone from ~175 miles a week to under 40.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
The listing title coupled with the map view led me to believe someone made a pontoon boat out of a classic Mercedes lol

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

angryrobots posted:

Did your dad's truck have a PTO?

Nope. As far as I know it was for setting the speed in the field, while loading hay, for example.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Supposedly Mercedes has all the parts for their old classic cars, so I wouldn't worry about availability. I would worry a bit about :signings: though.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

I reached out to the owner no response yet; I’m gonna at least check it out, you only live once

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Is there a thread where y'all can opine (and point and laugh) at a old car I'm currently thinking of buying?

It is this:

A 1994 Buick Roadmaster. It has the LT1 V8. It has 200,000 km, and apparently has never seen winter (super important in Atlantic Canada, the rust death hell zone.) $3500.

It is located in the middle of nowhere, and a friend is down for taking a road trip out to see it. Only problem: this place is so rural all the garages have closed thanks to the double whammy of covid and poo poo oil prices, so getting a mechanic to inspect it will take some doing.

The heater cores tend to get clogged with GM's anti-freeze.

If you have to replace the heater core, there is a little 90* rubber boot on the evaporator drain on the firewall that will get removed during the process. Make sure you put this back on or the evaporator will leak water under the passenger side carpet.

I didn't know this when I replaced the core on my 95 and after a couple weeks I couldn't figure out why the car was starting to smell like a sewer. Upon investigating the backseat, I poked the carpet and it waved like a water bed with the amount of water that had collected there.

Also, the nut holding the headlight switch in place is plastic and should be replaced with the metal piece from an 80's GM car. The little plastic pieces on the side door window regulators are a weak point, but kits are made to replace them.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Oh ya, and the radiators are aluminum with plastic end tanks, which love to crack and fail. They’re not designed to be field-serviceable but you can swap end tanks if you’re careful, and can find intact tanks.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

PeterCat posted:

Also, the nut holding the headlight switch in place is plastic and should be replaced with the metal piece from an 80's GM car. The little plastic pieces on the side door window regulators are a weak point, but kits are made to replace them.

Ah yes, the plastic slide pieces. And yeah, Dorman sells a replacement. They are rollers and not slides.

Also look into deleting the air pump.

another loser
Mar 25, 2001
Hmm, I need a beater car for the winter....

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

another loser posted:

That's awesome, do it (if reasonably priced).

It's kind of what I want to make but with a Yaris or Fit for budgetary reasons.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

another loser posted:

Um, yeah, would. Daily.

edit: hmmmmm, this but an LS400...

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 21, 2020

another loser
Mar 25, 2001

mobby_6kl posted:

That's awesome, do it (if reasonably priced).

It's kind of what I want to make but with a Yaris or Fit for budgetary reasons.

It is tempting, and going to go check it out. I was looking to do something dumb with a cheap Cayenne, but this is already done.

He's asking $4800 CAD, but I'm sure he's flexible.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Lacks engine
250,000 km
$400

I dunno, a Toyota Tercel but smaller? I bet this thing would get amazing mileage if fixed up.

another loser
Mar 25, 2001
Asked for some interior pics, wasn't disappointed

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That Lexus has been trading hands often, and gets posted in this thread every couple of years. I'm sure it's a horrendous piece of crap at this point.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

another loser posted:

Asked for some interior pics, wasn't disappointed

Are those shotgun shells and a banana magazine in the... cupholder slot?

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Real gold?

https://portland.craigslist.org/nco/cto/d/netarts-1990-mercury-cougar-xr7-sc-rare/7217731068.html

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yes.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

We were talking about those a few months ago. On my wish list too.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

ADINSX posted:

I reached out to the owner no response yet; I’m gonna at least check it out, you only live once

Well this ended up being a bit of a waste of time... cars in rougher shape than the ads suggest, carpet doesn't look attached to the floor, the wooden dash looks unfinished with some really out of place looking screws holding it in, headliner is dingy, rubber bits were all dry rotted, etc... Under the car looked relatively rust free, but the diff was leaking oil, engine looked ok.

When I went to start it, it weakly turned over then nothing... battery seemed dead. The owner said it had been running just yesterday when some other people saw it.

All of that could be forgiven (maybe not for 10k...) but my biggest red flag was the owner didn't know anything about the car, not even where the choke was. Apparently it was his wife's but they've had it for 6 years and neither of them drive it (she didn't know how to drive stick).... how do you keep a car for 6 years without knowing a single thing about it? So my guess it, its essentially sat unused for 6 years, that's why they had the gas tank cleaned out and the carb reworked (which looked clean, so that checked out). But that's a long way off from being something you could be confident in as a daily driver.

So anyway, a bit more work than I had in mind, especially at that price... but I think a 70s or 80s mercedes is what I want... I had one in highschool (a 1980 300D) and when I sat in this car, it smelled just like I remembered. No idea how, the two models were 20 years apart, and the memory itself is 20 years old, but it smelled like an old mercedes.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

Lacks engine
250,000 km
$400

I dunno, a Toyota Tercel but smaller? I bet this thing would get amazing mileage if fixed up.

Second gen Paseos were pretty rare in the US. They are mechanically identical to a Tercel (95+ in this case), though I feel like I haven't seen one of those on the road in a years either. Dunno how plentiful they are in junkyards anymore. You'd be looking for a 5E-FE.

Or just do it right and drop a 4E-FTE in it.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

opengl128 posted:

Second gen Paseos were pretty rare in the US. They are mechanically identical to a Tercel (95+ in this case), though I feel like I haven't seen one of those on the road in a years either. Dunno how plentiful they are in junkyards anymore. You'd be looking for a 5E-FE.

Or just do it right and drop a 4E-FTE in it.

Yeah, that's why it jumped out at me; in addition to being Tercel based I'd forgotten the things existed.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Darchangel posted:

Um, yeah, would. Daily.

edit: hmmmmm, this but an LS400...

About that...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFK9P5SnI5y/

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So, for $5,300 here is a five speed van the size of a side-by-side, using ATV wheels, driven mostly off road but actually street legal.
Also a rear bench with literally no seat belts?

quote:

Selling my 1993 Honda Acty sdx 4wd.
This is a right hand drive 5 speed standard that has 114,000kms.
Comes with atv wheels and tires (plus 3 extra new tires) and road wheels and tires.
It’s licensed till April 2021 but has spent the last few years mainly off-road.
It’s in great condition but will need a CV joint and a couple cv boots. Parts can be bought online or from a company in Ontario if your wondering about parts availability. Fun little rig that definitely turns heads.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

NHSTA Side Impact Rating: We loving hope not

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Nebakenezzer posted:

So, for $5,300 here is a five speed van the size of a side-by-side, using ATV wheels, driven mostly off road but actually street legal.
Also a rear bench with literally no seat belts?

Kei vans didn't come with rear seatbelts deep into the 90s if not even further than that. Note too that Actys, like this one, are full-time 4WD and not a true low-range selectable 4WD system like other kei vans. I bet it rides like dogshit on ATV tires especially because this Acty can hit 65 normally.

They're cool, daily drove a 91 2WD Acty like this for over 2 years here in Florida without issues. Insanely practical, gas-sipping deathtrap. Price seems pretty fair for Canada but better check for rust. Japan doesn't do winters like North America does. This one is a low-spec version, bet it doesn't even have air conditioning like mine did :c00l:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

who needs seat belts when you're going to die regardless?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Perfect. Excellent choice of graphics as well.
AND she appears to have a lifted Volvo 945 and a V8 Volvo 240 Bertone coupe.
https://www.youtube.com/c/NatashasCars/videos

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So if you want a 1991 Pontiac Bonneville SSE for $1500 cdn, I know where one is. It comes with a extra engine, but no side photos, so I guess they didn't move it to take pictures to sell it

I just glanced at the interior photos (holy gently caress, is that wood grain or aftermarket...wood?)

and I saw this steering wheel and knew I had to post it

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

That inspired me to find out what the first car with steering wheel controls was and apparently it was indeed a Pontiac.

1986 Pontiac 6000:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

9/10 I am very disappointed I can't adjust the EQ from the wheel.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Nebakenezzer posted:

and I saw this steering wheel and knew I had to post it

Christ, '90s GM interior design. Chunky toylike buttons on the wheel, tiny unusable buttons for the stereo and HVAC on the dash. Oh and lets cover the dash of this sport sedan with incredibly fake woodgrain trim.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

:thunk:

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard
I forgot to screenshot the actual ad because I ate a lot of crayons growing up but here's a Mercedes-AMG futuretruck from 1989

It's a one-off promo vehicle for Dekra, a company whose core business seems to be supplying hats to German racing drivers.

'But wait!!' you cry, 'where are the mirrors!?'

It's got old rear end analog cameras connected to CRTs in the dash for mirrors! And satnav! And a fax machine!

I think I had a jacket like this.

Custom glass. There are no spares anywhere.

Here she is back in the day, kind of disappointed they put normal mirrors on but yeah I was wondering how on earth that would've been road legal back in the day.

IIRC the dude wanted like 30 grand.

Snackula fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 24, 2020

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Ror posted:

That inspired me to find out what the first car with steering wheel controls was and apparently it was indeed a Pontiac.

1986 Pontiac 6000:

A 1989 Pontiac 6000 was my first car. Crank windows and a lock up torque converter that wouldn't unlock when the car got warmed up. A loving automatic car that would stall out. But bench seats front and back I would have 6 people in the car many a times taking people home on finals week in high school.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Number_6 posted:

Christ, '90s GM interior design. Chunky toylike buttons on the wheel, tiny unusable buttons for the stereo and HVAC on the dash. Oh and lets cover the dash of this sport sedan with incredibly fake woodgrain trim.

You may not like it, but this is what peak automotive design looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Number_6 posted:

...Incredibly fake woodgrain trim.

The nineties, summed up into a sentence.