Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I read an article about Eric Johnson in a mid-90s Guitar Player that was full of audiophile nonsense. "Guitar cables are directional" was probably the least ridiculous thing he believed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yea, when I was a kid I remember I was incredibly disappointed that Page Hamilton's pink ESP wasn't some anti-macho stance but a sincere belief it gave him a better tone. So you're DEFINITELY not cool now and a confirmed simp to boot lol.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Anime Reference posted:

I read an article about Eric Johnson in a mid-90s Guitar Player that was full of audiophile nonsense. "Guitar cables are directional" was probably the least ridiculous thing he believed.

Was that the one where it was claimed he could tell the difference in battery brands in his pedals?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

well why not posted:

i really don't understand how you can obsess over tone wood and resonance and sustain etc. while the best, most popular musicians almost never baby their guitars and obsess over that stuff. Pickups and strings, sure, but I've never seen an interview where some ~ guitar god ~ gets into that stuff. It's just such a disconnect.

eric johnson claims he can tell the brand of 9 volt battery in his pedals by sound alone

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Those people haunt me.

"Why doesn't it have a battery clip? Battery toanz!!!!!!"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The Muppets On PCP posted:

eric johnson claims he can tell the brand of 9 volt battery in his pedals by sound alone

I can do that by taste

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Yea, when I was a kid I remember I was incredibly disappointed that Page Hamilton's pink ESP wasn't some anti-macho stance but a sincere belief it gave him a better tone. So you're DEFINITELY not cool now and a confirmed simp to boot lol.
Page Hamilton is weird in that he often makes claims about being technically challenged but still knows a shitload not only about music theory and performance, but the aspects on how to get a pretty loving good guitar tone, so this seems super odd to me.

Then again, he's also like 60 so who the gently caress knows.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The thing about his chops being bad is an old jazz player false modesty shtick.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
No, I mean like gear-wise. I've seen him play in too many side-gigs/clinics to not know he's a phenomenal guitar player chops-wise, but like, when it comes to dialing poo poo on amps/pedals and whatnot.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Eric Johnson 9V thing is BS btw:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wark Say posted:

No, I mean like gear-wise. I've seen him play in too many side-gigs/clinics to not know he's a phenomenal guitar player chops-wise, but like, when it comes to dialing poo poo on amps/pedals and whatnot.

I think he's full of poo poo but it's all in fun obviously. He and Steve Fryette have been joined at the hip for decades.

Concatenation posted:

Eric Johnson 9V thing is BS btw:

Even if it wasn't if you spend any time watching him interact with people you realize he's just supremely chill and is like "hey maybe this could be happening I dunno" and, of course, this point is missed by supremely online guitar weirdos.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 22, 2020

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I want to believe that famous guitarists once in a while get together and brainstorm absurd audiophile bullshit rumours to intentionally spread to see where people finally go "wait, no, you're making up" and call them on it. "I can tell the brand of battery in my pedals by the tone" fits that kind of absurdity.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Huxley posted:

Flea is 58 years old.

https://twitter.com/flea333/status/1308069742062624768

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

One of the most interesting things I got from the Flea auto-bio (it's good) was the fact that John Frusciante was/is apparently this completely whimsical and fully committed artist in the most prototypical sense. I think the quote was something like "John had no practical handle on money or responsibilities; he played guitar and he played it well - that's John." Once the guy got hooked on dope, he melted down quickly and his L.A mansion became a squat house for hobos and they took him for all he was worth. Flea recognized that he's the only one who remotely gave a poo poo about him and basically went to the house just before John was going to die, put a guitar in his hands, pointed him at a stage, and got him going again.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Anime Reference posted:

Eric "I can hear the difference between a half dead duracell battery and a three quarter charged energizer battery in this pedal" Johnson. Also thread lord and saviour Steve Vai has a thing where the guitar body and guitar neck need to have the same resonance when given a knock (before assembly), otherwise the whole thing will sound off when put together.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Eric "I can hear the difference between a half dead duracell battery and a three quarter charged energizer battery in this pedal" Johnson. Also thread lord and saviour Steve Vai has a thing where the guitar body and guitar neck need to have the same resonance when given a knock (before assembly), otherwise the whole thing will sound off when put together.

Yeah but Steve Vai also admitted in an interview about EVH that Eddie once picked up the entire Vai rig and it sounded like EVH and not Steve Vai

So in conclusion the tone was in your hands all along, not your $10k guitar!

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Shugojin posted:

Yeah but Steve Vai also admitted in an interview about EVH that Eddie once picked up the entire Vai rig and it sounded like EVH and not Steve Vai

So in conclusion the tone was in your hands all along, not your $10k guitar!

That he did. Quite a few people have said the same. Good point with EVH too. His guitars (prior to getting endorsement deals) were mongrels cobbled together like a mad scientist (hence the nickname Frankenstien for his original Black and White, then later covered with Red superstrat concoction). A huge amount of guitar players praise Eddie's tone but somehow forget the body was a basswood 'second' boogie body with a knot in the wood when they want to wade into the 'tone wood' nonsense. And yeah, its mostly in the fingers.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

The neck is the penis of the guitar so it follows that it's the most important thing to consider.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Get a Fireman and be Mr. Two Dicks (These are wonderful guitars btw)

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I'm coming into this thread from years spent in the cycling thread, am I right that guitars are just like bike frames? People talk endlessly about exactly what kind of material (steel, carbon vs. wood, etc.) they're made out of but in the end it really doesn't actually matter very much at all and you should just use what you like?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

frogbs posted:

I'm coming into this thread from years spent in the cycling thread, am I right that guitars are just like bike frames? People talk endlessly about exactly what kind of material (steel, carbon vs. wood, etc.) they're made out of but in the end it really doesn't actually matter very much at all and you should just use what you like?

:hmmyes:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
it kinda matters a little with acoustic guitars but not as much as size and how they're constructed. and even then the differences are so minor almost nobody who wasn't also a guitarist would ever notice

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

frogbs posted:

Basically.
  • Almost any brand worth their salt that has a budget line (somewhere around the US$300-500 new from a store), the guitars/basses are probably going to hold up real well with a small adjustment which in most places will cost you from 20 to 50 bucks if you can't do it yourself, and you can upgrade it for like 150-200 bucks with anything you like to take it "pro" level (usually locking tuners and maybe swapping one of the pickups). Most of these guitars are Chinese or Indonesian-made, and they're doing a loving awesome job.
  • Brands whose guitars are MIK/MIM (Made in Korea and Made in Mexico, respectively) made are pretty much comparable to what almost any US-made factories are doing now and probably have been for at least a decade because their QC has been pretty good for a while now. Horror stories still exist, but they're the minority.
  • Guitars made in Japan and Germany are probably better on average to US-made instruments and most don't cost 5k or whatever crazy BS, eye-gouging prices Gibson and Maryland-made PRS are asking you for.
  • G&L is probably the best company as far as putting out consistently great US-Made guitars and basses that cost around 1.5k-1.8k.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Some similarities between the two communities.
  • A whole bunch of dudes with more focus on kit than just getting on with the hobby.
  • Dudes getting into the hobby and blowing thousands of pounds on kit, using it one weekend, then shoving it in the shed until the next spring clean.
  • That slightly weird sub sect with the loud coloured spandex.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

• That slightly weird sub sect with the loud coloured spandex.
Clearly still the best subset if you ask me. :allears:

Also, if someone starts regalling you with the wonders regarding Gibson and their legacy and yadda-yadda, you answer with "real Gibson guitars are still made in Kalamazoo Michigan. They just call themselves Heritage. Assbutt"

(And then they poo poo their pants and everybody claps for you. Please clap)

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Sora = Affinity
105 = Modern Squier
Ultegra = Fender American
Dura Ace = Fender Custom Shop Relic
Campagnolo Record on a crazy Italian frame that doesn't shift right = Gibson Custom Shop

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Get a Fireman and be Mr. Two Dicks (These are wonderful guitars btw)

That Joel McHale can really shred

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Does the cycling world have people that blow tonnes of money on one bike, ride it for 5 minutes and then put it away in storage for 10 years before trying to sell it on, though? Cause that’s a whole subgenre of guitar dude

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

former glory posted:

Sora = Affinity
105 = Modern Squier
Ultegra = Fender American
Dura Ace = Fender Custom Shop Relic
Campagnolo Record on a crazy Italian frame that doesn't shift right = Gibson Custom Shop

Winning the Tour de France on a poo poo department store bike to the chagrin of the monied riders = Danelectro

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Where does my $200 Schwinn mountain bike fit into all this?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
those sub-$200 firefly/glarry/xaviere/whatever chinese guitars with surprisingly good build quality everyone nuts themselves over

Shiroc
May 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
I had a stupid expensive Les Paul once that was the only Les Paul I ever liked. That's more damning to the other Les Pauls I've played than the stupid cost translating directly to quality.

I eventually sold it and because it was a special model with an obvious serial number, I got to watch the guy who bought it try to sell it for a profit on reverb, then take it back to the place I had consigned it, then back to trying to make a profit on reverb. He probably would have been horrified to know that I had taken it on the bus multiple times to gigs.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

Concatenation posted:

Does the cycling world have people that blow tonnes of money on one bike, ride it for 5 minutes and then put it away in storage for 10 years before trying to sell it on, though? Cause that’s a whole subgenre of guitar dude

Yeah, if anything there's more of them.

Also if you guys wanna see some top tier tonewood shite get into folk banjo. There's tons of things which objectively do change their tone - like strings, bridge, head, tonering construction - and yet the whole community is old men arguing about walnut vs maple or whatever. Also they all think you can't buy a playable banjo for under $1500.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I'm pretty sure if you showed up at a classical guitar forum with a $2000 Cordoba everyone would be like "well, that's an alright beginner instrument, I guess." Unless it had a cutaway, then they'd ban you immediately.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Shiroc posted:

I had a stupid expensive Les Paul once that was the only Les Paul I ever liked. That's more damning to the other Les Pauls I've played than the stupid cost translating directly to quality.

I eventually sold it and because it was a special model with an obvious serial number, I got to watch the guy who bought it try to sell it for a profit on reverb, then take it back to the place I had consigned it, then back to trying to make a profit on reverb. He probably would have been horrified to know that I had taken it on the bus multiple times to gigs.

Watching other people's schemes fail is just so good.

There's a danish musician (Tim Christensen) who got a gibson signature acoustic a few years back. Very limited run, very expensive.

Some dude must have bought one as an investment because he's been trying to unload it at twice the price ever since.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Anime Reference posted:

I'm pretty sure if you showed up at a classical guitar forum with a $2000 Cordoba everyone would be like "well, that's an alright beginner instrument, I guess." Unless it had a cutaway, then they'd ban you immediately.

It makes me wonder if any of these people actually learned on cheap instruments and turned into elitists after, or actually were dumb enough to spend thousands on trying something out for the first time.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Anime Reference posted:

Lol, yes. You would also get banned for having any kind of on board electronics on your guitar.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Blacknose posted:

It makes me wonder if any of these people actually learned on cheap instruments and turned into elitists after, or actually were dumb enough to spend thousands on trying something out for the first time.

There's no such thing as cheap stuff for any kind of classical instrument tbh. A sax you can actually gig starts around four figures. A lot of beginners rent or borrow them from schools until they're committed enough to invest, but even top-tier professional players will use exceptional instruments bought by angel investors and gifted on loan because its the only way anyone who plays music can afford them.

Guitar is (horrifyingly) the cheap option thanks to Leo having a robust approach to luthiery and then becoming one of the most popular instruments on the planet so mass production was viable.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've always wanted to spend sometime on the violin, and when I called the local reputable strings place they told me their absolute cheapest student models started in the $500 range. The owner said it was the "cheapest thing we can sell with a good conscience." And this wasn't some nose-in-the-air place, their guitar room has a whole wall of $200 student acoustics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Guess I'll stick with folk instruments.