Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Also as vaguely gun related side note, already I have experienced the odd phenomenon wherein upon suggesting what is essentially a more powerful but expensive/slow firing crossbow, people will casually suggest for it to have checks to maintain it, checks to create its ammo, or Pathfinder Gunslinger style missfire chance. I don't know what it is about it but the idea of someone having a slightly more powerful crossbow seems to have to be this deep commitment which you invest entire quests into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

SkySteak posted:

Also as vaguely gun related side note, already I have experienced the odd phenomenon wherein upon suggesting what is essentially a more powerful but expensive/slow firing crossbow, people will casually suggest for it to have checks to maintain, checks to create its ammo, or Pathfinder Gunslinger style missfire chance. I don't know what it is about it but the idea of someone having a slightly more powerful crossbow seems to have to be this deep commitment which you invest entire quests into.

I think people just have this scene (and others like it) stuck in their head: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQKrmDLvijo

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Shitshow posted:

You’ve never spent time around a toddler, have you?

Two years and counting and that legacy is overrated. Let's see her stay the distance without keeling over for two hours at precisely 12:30 every afternoon.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

AnEdgelord posted:

I think people just have this scene (and others like it) stuck in their head: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQKrmDLvijo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cZqRzHnI8s&t=34s

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

SkySteak posted:

Also as vaguely gun related side note, already I have experienced the odd phenomenon wherein upon suggesting what is essentially a more powerful but expensive/slow firing crossbow, people will casually suggest for it to have checks to maintain it, checks to create its ammo, or Pathfinder Gunslinger style missfire chance. I don't know what it is about it but the idea of someone having a slightly more powerful crossbow seems to have to be this deep commitment which you invest entire quests into.

first time i homebrewed guns into 5e i tried doing that and its just absolute poo poo to have misfire chances. my earnest recommendation is never using them, and paizo should issue an apology to the world for creating them in guns

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I think it's less that there's an unclear distinction between Strength and Dexterity, and more that in real life most athletic pursuits and martial arts rely on a good mixture of both, and in the real world there's advantages and things you'd be better at for having a 14 Str and 14 Dex instead of an 18/10 split. And unlike game characters generated using point-buy systems, dumb luck (including genetics) and environmental/social factors mean some peoples' total "ability scores" are higher than others'.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

misfires are bad, missing is enough penalty for players

i think guns should function as a dex save dc 8 + prof + dex for what that particular dm seems to be going for; treating it like a magic spell with components that have a gp value will probably get way closer to something approximating the all piercing effect while also limiting its use greatly by any non-militias

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Just make guns 2d6 piercing with slightly worse range than a short bow and reloading, jeez

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Alright, I just finished up a session of Tomb of Annihilation and my players are super close to reaching something I've been planning in the campaign for ages (Spoilered in case any of my players wander into this thread):

I've added an additional feature to the Tomb of the Nine Gods where, in order to get one of the skeleton keys, they'll have to go through a virtual reality version of the original Tomb of Horrors. I'm leaning super heavily into this section being an in-universe video game: The entire Tomb looks like one of those 3d recreations of 8-Bit games people sometimes post on the internet, all the game tokens are sprites from NES games and the players are followed by an avatar of Acererak that resembles Sinistar and occasionally shouts poorly translated taunts at them. This is mostly so I can give the players the chance to experience the original module as part of the campaign without them having to deal with their characters being arbitrarily killed by the module's dickishness. Because it's a video game they're all going to have multiple lives to complete it, but I'm not going to tell them that until one of them actually dies in the 8-bit tomb.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

KingKalamari posted:

Alright, I just finished up a session of Tomb of Annihilation and my players are super close to reaching something I've been planning in the campaign for ages (Spoilered in case any of my players wander into this thread):

I've added an additional feature to the Tomb of the Nine Gods where, in order to get one of the skeleton keys, they'll have to go through a virtual reality version of the original Tomb of Horrors. I'm leaning super heavily into this section being an in-universe video game: The entire Tomb looks like one of those 3d recreations of 8-Bit games people sometimes post on the internet, all the game tokens are sprites from NES games and the players are followed by an avatar of Acererak that resembles Sinistar and occasionally shouts poorly translated taunts at them. This is mostly so I can give the players the chance to experience the original module as part of the campaign without them having to deal with their characters being arbitrarily killed by the module's dickishness. Because it's a video game they're all going to have multiple lives to complete it, but I'm not going to tell them that until one of them actually dies in the 8-bit tomb.

Lol this sounds awesome. The Dragon Friends podcast actually did something very similar, where they ran a side campaign with the whole Tomb of Annihilation module being a video game they'd gotten sucked into, and it ruled

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I've had a weird idea for how I'd tamper ability scores.

Consolidate Strength and Constitution into a stat called "Body"

Consolidate Dexterity and Intelligence into a stat called "Mind"

Consolidate Wisdom and Charisma into a stat called "Spirit"

Have bow damage rely on body, but not crossbow damage. Consolidate acrobatics and athletics into a body based fitness skill.

In this system, your ability to dodge, pickpocket and react is a mental swiftness rather than a physical dexterity.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

HeroForge 2.0 went live a little while back giving coloring options to the masses. So I subscribed for the extra options, like saving paint variations and being able to pull frames out as .png with a transparent background, since that's all I'd really used HF for anyway and I'll pay a convenience fee for the convenience.

Most recently I've rejoined a (now-online-only) table that's currently in a kinda '50s-'70s-but-fantasy setting as a Bronze Dragonborn auto mechanic. With the gmsguild Path of the Dragon barbarian subclass as adapted to Beyond (with DM approval), but with the Red option.

Plenty of background story there regarding what the character thinks about why Bronzemum is still around but dad isn't (she's so strict he probably cheated and she ate him vs. actually he was a Red that deceived her but also maybe got eaten in that version too) but anyway here's the difference between normal and raging (with a decent amount of time in PS adjusting highlights and shadows and color tone and so on plus obviously i just got the backgrounds off of image searches and don't own them):

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Jet age fantasy sounds awesome.

An ancient silver dragon rouses from their centuries long slumber, by the stench of a hoard the scale of the red dragons of old. He rises to fulfill his ancient promise that he'd defeat the evil dragons should they return. He finds no dragon, but walks the earth in human form to better understand what he senses. After years of observation he comes to the conclusion that he has been awoken to defeat capitalism.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

change my name posted:

Just make guns 2d6 piercing with slightly worse range than a short bow and reloading, jeez

op had a bunch of stipulations to make them unique bit also not tame over the game; obviously this is the easiest way

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Azza Bamboo posted:

Have bow damage rely on body, but not crossbow damage. Consolidate acrobatics and athletics into a body based fitness skill.

In this system, your ability to dodge, pickpocket and react is a mental swiftness rather than a physical dexterity.
Tristat, good generic system that's been attached to some weird stuff. Also how 4e handled saves.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Splicer posted:

Also how 4e handled saves.

STR/CON for fortitude
DEX/INT for reflex
WIS/CHA for will

not bad, but i do like how in 5E specific ability scores can be attacked

it does circle back around to how casters, especially wizards, have more options.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

FFT posted:

STR/CON for fortitude
DEX/INT for reflex
WIS/CHA for will

it does circle back around to how casters, especially wizards, have more options.

This is how Die, the comic and associated PBTA "you get Jumanjied into D&D" hack does it and it works pretty well?

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

My younger brother had fun decorating his MM.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Mushika posted:

My younger brother had fun decorating his MM.

nine months ago?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Try three years ago.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

fair enough, i just went with the oldest i found that wasn't pinterest

and not even by searching by image! poo poo that would have saved a lot of time

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Azza Bamboo posted:

I'm a big fan of how Fellowship handles ability scores. Each stat represents multiple parts of your character, and has an in-combat, out-of-combat, and usually a violent and non-violent application.

Blood is for power, might, and passion. It's used when you want to overcome or overpower something, like knocking a charging animal away with your giant hammer, or attacking someone with magic, or giving a passionate speech.
Courage is for tenacity and force of will. It's used for enduring a difficult situation and holding your ground, like defending a chokepoint in combat, or getting into a shouting match with a giant ogre while your rogue friend sneaks around for a sneak attack.
Grace is for physical and social grace. It's used for evading dangerous situations, like physically jumping out of the way of an explosion, or politely excusing yourself from a conversation with a vampire at a party. It's also used for telling exorbitant lies when you are trying to convince someone.
Sense is for observational skills and deductive reasoning. It's used for spotting an opening in combat, investigating an area for clues, or having a logical debate with someone to get what you want.
Wisdom is for your kindness, experience, and ability to relate to others. It's used mostly for social situations, but because Fellowship has mechanics for interpersonal relationships, you can talk your way out of most combat encounters, or you can turn your nemesis into your shonen anime rival, reducing the lethality of an encounter.

Every class/archetype/playbook in Fellowship has a stat they specialize in, and have special mechanics for it that go beyond the basic applications. A halfling prankster could use Courage to cause large distractions and pickpocket people, a giant spider can use their Sense to scout out a location and come up with plans for how they can effectively lay traps or manipulate their surroundings, some dwarves can use their social skills on rocks to get information or kindly convince soil to part and make a tunnel for them, etc.

Tenik fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 22, 2020

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Tenik posted:

Blood is for power, might, and passion. It's used when you want to overcome or overpower something, like knocking a charging animal away with your giant hammer, or attacking someone with magic, or giving a passionate speech, or resisting a mind control spell.
Courage is for tenacity and force of will.

i have a question

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Just double checked the book, and it looks like I misremembered something from an example. My bad!

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

D&D 6e will fix all of this by having Black, Blue, White, Green, and Red ability scores

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

change my name posted:

D&D 6e will fix all of this by having Black, Blue, White, Green, and Red ability scores
Unironically would be a better system

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FFT posted:

STR/CON for fortitude
DEX/INT for reflex
WIS/CHA for will

On the other hand if you look at the actual monsters and spells they effectively default to dex, con, str, and wis, with cha or int as the occasional gimmick.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Whoops, I misread his text. He's going to do that to his MM. I thought he did do that. I didn't know it was an image floating around.

I thought it was funny, regardless.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Anyone ever use a service like https://startplaying.games/? Thinking of getting a game going soon with a bunch of newbies (including myself - I played years and years ago but never DM'd).

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Here's my dumb shot at revising ability scores without just removing them, fwiw.

- Take the SotDL approach and go with four stats, rolling Strength and Constitution into a single Might stat and removing Charisma entirely (will talk about this when I talk about skills).
1. Might = Hit points, damage with heavy/2H weapons. Might saves resist forced movement and physical health maladies like poison and disease.
2. Agility = AC, damage with light/ranged weapons. Agility saves resist all the dodgy stuff like AE spells, breath weapons, and rays (I'm not a fan of non-cantrip spell attacks).
3. Wits = Arcane spellcasting prowess. Wit saves resist illusions of all kinds and damage-dealing mental effects like Vicious Mockery and psionic blasts.
4. Spirit = Divine spellcasting prowess. Spirit saves resist mind control, charm, compulsion, confusion, etc effects.

- It is intentional that Wits and Spirit have slightly fewer hard-coded benefits for non-casters than Might and Agility have for casters, but they do have functions (again, skills section), and there would be options to obtain magic for all classes. There are reasons I've chosen these names as well; "Might" rolls Str/Con into one word, "Wits" is less loaded than "Intelligence", "Spirit" is somehow less vague than "Wisdom" to me even though it's also clearly vague, and "Agility" was changed mostly because leaving one ability score the same was weird.

- Skills are no longer linked to single stats, rather, most/all are linked to at least two stats and players and the DM are encouraged to envision ways players can combine stats and skills to achieve their goals in novel ways. An Athletics check might be determined by Might or Agility, a Stealth check might be determined by Agility (swift and careful movement) or Wits (clever use of cover), and a Persuasion check might be determined by Might (intimidation or impressing people) or Wits (rhetoric and diplomacy). The goal is to encourage creativity and context-sensitive use of skills, and help all players/classes have a role outside of battle.

The overall goal is to reduce the number of ability scores, balance the remaining ones, give characters a clear primary stat to emphasize while providing incentives to invest in any secondary stat, and (since they have secondary stat incentives and the stats are slightly more balanced) discourage the practice of dump stats and minmaxing.

I think I kind of just invented SotDL, tho.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Honestly at this point there's no real reason to have them instead of just basing numbers off level and class (all wizards get +5 spell attack at level 1). This isn't Pillars.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

change my name posted:

very much like the idea of petitioning my DM to allow me to add my Red modifier instead of Blue because I'm really passionate about picking this lock

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Honestly at this point there's no real reason to have them instead of just basing numbers off level and class (all wizards get +5 spell attack at level 1). This isn't Pillars.

I'll be honest, part of why I went with four instead of six or zero is that I like emphasizing the Big Four archetypes - warriors, rogues, mages, and priests - for reasons of D&D tone, and this has perfect parity with that.

It's not a great argument, but otoh they're never going to do away with the six ability score model in the D&D brand, imo.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame
So, it's my first time DM'ing, after my wife volunteered me to GM. We've been having fun with Dragon of Icespire. Here's the summary of the session I just sent

quote:

So we're all in the same page for next session, we ended on Big Al"s cellar, after freeing him from captivity. The group has agreed to clear out the remaining orcs in exchange, the group will get three butter skulls, and some gold. For keeping good care of big al's prized cow, petunia, y'all will get his old adventuring armor.

I'm hoping that this doesn't wildly upset the game by changing up the rewards, but it seems fun, and motivated them.

Edit: Ambien sucks.

Imasalmon fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 23, 2020

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Imasalmon posted:

So, it's my first time DM'ing, after my wife volunteered me to GM.you so hppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp himn with Dragon of Icespire. Here's the summary of the session I just sent

I'm hoping that this works.

something horrible happened to your post

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame
Yeah, Ambien can be rough. Fixed it.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Glimm posted:

Anyone ever use a service like https://startplaying.games/? Thinking of getting a game going soon with a bunch of newbies (including myself - I played years and years ago but never DM'd).

I have never played in a game I had to pay for, nor run one that someone charged money for. I'm deeply curious about it as well, if some people have experience with it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
In the abstract DMs are providing a service but it feels deeply wrong, like a director charging his actors a fee.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I don't feel like it's "wrong" for a DM to set up a payment scheme when they're recruiting strangers, but in my experience 10 out of 10 of these DMs are not particularly good at their jobs, and it's just an exploitative ripoff using generic stuff like the Adventurer's League content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Started making this, thought it might be useful to someone here.

1. Mizzen Mast.
2. Main Mast.
3. Crow's Nest.
4. Fore Mast.
---
5. Half Deck (Sterncastle)
6. Forecastle
--
7.Grand Cabin (meeting room)
8. Officers' cabins and helm.
9. Main Deck.
10. Upper gundeck.
11. Figurehead.
12. Stairs to Captain's Quarters.
13. Quartermaster's cabin.
--
14. Captain's Quarters.
15. Artillery Storage (spare guns).
16. Gundeck.
17. Galley.
--
18. Captain's Private Storage.
19. Beer Storage.
20. Magazine (gunpowder storage).
21. Orlop Deck (storage of ropes, sails, other necessary materials)
22. Lower Galley (dining area).
--
23. Ship's hold.