Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Google calendar also gives you the opportunity to add tasks, goals, and reminders in addition to events.

they can be set to repeat and set for certain times of the day just like events but they go into a different buckets so they show up in a different color on your calendar.

You can also set them to shoot notifications to your phone or send emails to you when they are due.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

There's also the Tasks app - I'm assuming that's still supported but it sounds pretty much perfect for what you want. You can set recurrence and you can set subtasks so you could even just set up a daily tasks reminder with everything you need to tick off as a subtask and have that recur every day. It will appear in Google calendar as a task.

Just got news that my P5 is shipping today and should be with me tomorrow. Original date was by the 27th so that's more or less in line with my optimistic 'by the end of this week' estimate (based on how early I got the case for it). I've been running on my work issued Samsung A40 so I won't have the fun of suddenly going down to a smaller screen than the 2XL but god it's going to be nice to not hit apps and then wait 5 seconds for the phone to respond. Also finally can get back into my podcasts since I didn't want to install a bunch of personal stuff on my work phone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

MrNemo posted:

I won't have the fun of suddenly going down to a smaller screen than the 2XL but god it's going to be nice to not hit apps and then wait 5 seconds for the phone to respond.

Screen size between the Pixel 5 and the Pixel 2XL are virtually identical. Both 6 inch with the pixel 2 xl being 18:9 aspect ratio and the Pixel 5 being 19.5:9. So, the P5 is just ever so slightly taller and narrower.

And it is slight.

Pixel 5 138:64

Pixel 2 XL 136:68

So, the Pixel 5 is 2mm taller and 4mm narrower.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Kirk Vikernes fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 21, 2020

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jaymcgregor/2020/10/21/google-is-investigating-the-pixel-5-display-issue/#6bb3706811a5

Google is investigating the Pixel 5 screen lift issue.

Meanwhile, the new issue seems to be overheating or getting really, really warm while charging. This might be due to an all metal body though.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jaymcgregor/2020/10/21/google-is-investigating-the-pixel-5-display-issue/#6bb3706811a5

Google is investigating the Pixel 5 screen lift issue.

Meanwhile, the new issue seems to be overheating or getting really, really warm while charging. This might be due to an all metal body though.

That's not an issue. Phones can get really warm when charging.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's not an issue. Phones can get really warm when charging.

It would depend on what really, really warm meant in his context. Because at some point - you are wrong about it not being an issue.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Are we talking Snapdragon 810 in a Sony phone warm here? Where they had to post a literal warning?

Cause even my iPhone 11 gets warm with standard wireless charging.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

bull3964 posted:

Screen size between the Pixel 5 and the Pixel 2XL are virtually identical. Both 6 inch with the pixel 2 xl being 18:9 aspect ratio and the Pixel 5 being 19.5:9. So, the P5 is just ever so slightly taller and narrower.

And it is slight.

Pixel 5 138:64

Pixel 2 XL 136:68

So, the Pixel 5 is 2mm taller and 4mm narrower.

Not sure about screen size but in terms of the total physical size of the phone (based off the cases I've got) the Pixel 5 is a noticeably smaller phone. I don't have the smallest hands in the world but I'd say it goes from 'just larger than is comfortable to use with one hand' to 'comfortable to use with one hand'.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Pixel questions:

Is the only difference between the 4a and 4a5g the 5g antenna?

If I don’t care about having a plastic back and no wireless charging, is there a reason to get a 5 over a 4a?

$700 for a 5 preorder or a $350 4a seems like a no brainer.

I know the 5 has a faster processor (right?) and more RAM, but the 4a hasn’t had problems due to its specs, correct?

e: just saw the GPS problems in the 4 a few posts up, and that scares me. I’m having trouble with GPS on my current phone, an iPhone 11 Pro, and this is the second unit I’m experiencing trouble with.

Is the GPS problem on the 4/XLs present on the 4a?

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 21, 2020

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Soul Glo posted:

Pixel questions:

Is the only difference between the 4a and 4a5g the 5g antenna?

If I don’t care about having a plastic back and no wireless charging, is there a reason to get a 5 over a 4a?

$700 for a 5 preorder or a $350 4a seems like a no brainer.

I know the 5 has a faster processor (right?) and more RAM, but the 4a hasn’t had problems due to its specs, correct?

e: just saw the GPS problems in the 4 a few posts up, and that scares me. I’m having trouble with GPS on my current phone, an iPhone 11 Pro, and this is the second unit I’m experiencing trouble with.

Is the GPS problem on the 4/XLs present on the 4a?

90hz screen on the 5 vs 60hz on the 4a5g

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

MrNemo posted:

Not sure about screen size but in terms of the total physical size of the phone (based off the cases I've got) the Pixel 5 is a noticeably smaller phone. I don't have the smallest hands in the world but I'd say it goes from 'just larger than is comfortable to use with one hand' to 'comfortable to use with one hand'.

Oh yeah, the overall footprint is much smaller than the Pixel 2XL, just that all the bits that were trimmed were basically non-screen.

That's why I found the whole "OMG, NO XL VERSION" crying a bit silly.

The 5 has a larger battery than ANY XL version so far, so the argument for a larger battery for the larger size doesn't hold.

The 5 has a larger screen than the Pixel XL, about the same size screen as the Pixel 2 XL, and is only slightly smaller than the Pixel 3 and 4 XL (with the Pixel 3 XL being even closer due to a chunk taken by the notch.)

Basically, if you were fine with the XL size of any prior pixel phone, the Pixel 5 gives you about the same experience in a more compact body. Now, I grant you that some people always maintained that the Pixel XL models were always too small.

I used my 4a all weekend just to get a feel for the size and it felt so right. I'm just not too enamored with the screen itself on the 4a compared to the OP8P (just not as vibrant and a lot dimmer). The Pixel 5 should improve on that.

One weakness the OP8P has is that it doesn't get that dim (it's a way they calibrated out the green tint that seems to plague every new phone release from every manufacturer because that's just how OLEDs roll.) Reviews I've seen so far is that the Pixel 5 does manage to get really dim without killing shadow detail which will be nice in the dark.

I'm probably going to continue to swap between phones on a regular basis (though I may get rid of the 4a for being redundant), but I suspect that my sim will mostly live in the P5 once I get it since the creature comforts (call screening, native visual voicemail) seem to pair better with call features and I would like the smaller form factor for the rare times I leave my house.

Really though, "main" phone is academic at this point since I average about one phone call a week and I'm wifi most of the time sitting at home. So, what phone as the SIM is largely irrelevant.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

90hz screen on the 5 vs 60hz on the 4a5g

Yeah, plus the lack of a wide angle

Well if this iPhone keeps making GBS threads the bed with GPS*, I’ll probably roll some $350 dice.

*my phone stops tracking my movement. I replaced my first one through Applecare after following all of theirs and Verizon’s troubleshooting and now the second one’s starting it. As a courier who uses my phone for work all day, this is... distressing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The 4a5g has the wide angle, only the 4a lacks it.

4a
SD730G
6gb RAM
128gb storage
Single lens camera
5.8" 60hz Display
Gorilla Glass 3
4g
3,140 mAh

4a5g gives over 4a
SD765G
Dual Camera (wide and ultra wide)
6.2" 60hz display
5g (UWB for $100 more with Verizon)
3,800 mAh

Pixel 5 gives over 4a5g
8gb RAM
6.0" 90hz display
UWB on all models
Wireless Charging
IPX8 Water Resistance
Aluminum unibody coated in plastic
Gorilla Glass 6
4000 mAh

It may be a controversial opinion, but I feel like the 4a5g is the worse valued phone out of all of them (doubly so if you are on Verizon). The SD765G, 5g, wide angle lens, and a tiny bit more screen size are not worth $150 (especially not $250 for Verizon).

You either go all in on the premium experience or just stick with the basic solid one. $500 for the 4a5g is just kind of blech because you really didn't dump that $150 into any QoL improvements, only a wide angle lens that you will use sometimes and a network you would be lucky to use ever.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 21, 2020

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Other than having the 5G radios I don't believe performance from the 730 to 765 would be noticeable except mayyyybe in games. I am surprised by the bigger battery in the 4a5g mode though just to account for an added radio.

Edit: doh, I just realized they're actually pretty different devices.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

It may be a controversial opinion, but I feel like the 4a5g is the worse valued phone out of all of them (doubly so if you are on Verizon). The SD765G, 5g, wide angle lens, and a tiny bit more screen size are not worth $150 (especially not $250 for Verizon).

You either go all in on the premium experience or just stick with the basic solid one. $500 for the 4a5g is just kind of blech because you really didn't dump that $150 into any QoL improvements, only a wide angle lens that you will use sometimes and a network you would be lucky to use ever.

Shouldn't be too controversial, as it's a very reasonable opinion. I think the only people the 4a 5G makes sense for are those who want the biggest display possible or those who want bigger numbers to feel like they got a value, with the caveat that we're still talking about a Pixel here so there are far more options that hit both of those targets better.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

sourdough posted:

Shouldn't be too controversial, as it's a very reasonable opinion. I think the only people the 4a 5G makes sense for are those who want the biggest display possible or those who want bigger numbers to feel like they got a value, with the caveat that we're still talking about a Pixel here so there are far more options that hit both of those targets better.

To be honest, only AP is championing the 4a 5G as the best phone. Hell, they're almost giddily posting about the issues they find with the 5.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/10/18/pixel-4a-5g-review-this-should-actually-be-called-the-pixel-5-lite/

quote:

Pixel 4a 5G review: Buy this instead of the Pixel 5
$200 more doesn't get you much, and this is the sweet spot

quote:

Yes, the Pixel 4a 5G is easy to recommend. Honestly, I think most folks looking at the more expensive Pixel 5 should reflect on what they value in a phone and consider if this can deliver what they want for hundreds less. This isn't really a Pixel 4a 5G, this is the Pixel 5 Lite, and if you can live without an IP rating, wireless charging, and a 90Hz screen, this offers a similar experience at a much better value.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 21, 2020

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

To be honest, only AP is championing the 4a 5G as the best phone. Hell, they're almost giddily posting about the issues they find with the 5.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/10/18/pixel-4a-5g-review-this-should-actually-be-called-the-pixel-5-lite/

They're so weird and dumb lately.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's not the only publication that's had that opinion.

CNet's review was titled "Pixel 5 and 4A 5G review: Only one new Pixel is worth its price" and you can guess which one they are saying is more worth the price.

They have also had the following article "Google Pixel 5's wimpy camera is driving me to the iPhone 12" that had incomplete facts in it that's not even based on a review.

quote:

Google tried to match Apple's prowess this year by replacing the telephoto camera with an ultrawide camera in the Pixel 5. But Apple made major camera improvements with its iPhone 12 Pro, including a bigger image sensor, a longer-reach telephoto lens, improved image stabilization to counteract shaky hands, Dolby Vision HDR video at 60 frames per second and Apple's more flexible ProRaw format. It's clear Apple is sinking enormous resources into better photography.

Except, the larger sensor and the fancy whole sensor stabilization are only iPhone 12 Pro MAX features, not iPhone 12 Pro which costs 50% more than the Pixel 5. By all accounts they only made major improvements with a single model and that model hasn't been put in reviewers hands yet to judge.

I like how everyone last year was lambasting how useless a telephoto lens was and ultrawide was what a phone camera really needed but this year telephoto is the new hotness. Yeah, maybe the Pixel 5 should have all 3 and there's the argument to be made there, but it's not exactly a dealbreaker at the pricepoint.

Look, I get that some people wanted google to pull out all the stops and make a $1000 phone with all the bells and whistles that every other $1000 phone had.

People still wouldn't buy it though, not in sufficient enough quantities to make it worth it. Samsung can't even get people to buy their $1000 phones.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I like how everyone last year was lambasting how useless a telephoto lens was and ultrawide was what a phone camera really needed but this year telephoto is the new hotness. Yeah, maybe the Pixel 5 should have all 3 and there's the argument to be made there, but it's not exactly a dealbreaker at the pricepoint.

Look, I get that some people wanted google to pull out all the stops and make a $1000 phone with all the bells and whistles that every other $1000 phone had.

People still wouldn't buy it though, not in sufficient enough quantities to make it worth it. Samsung can't even get people to buy their $1000 phones.

Agreed hard with all of this.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Reviews: Pixel 4 overpriced, lovely battery, poor choice of 2nd lens, face unlock is fiddlier than fingerprint

Google: ok, we'll fix literally all of that

Reviews: Pixel 5 overpriced, poor choice of 2nd lens, feature regression

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I'd rather have a wide than telephoto lens on my phone. I'd trade away either one for being $100 cheaper, but I'm sure they actually add much less than that to the build cost.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I cannot emphasize how absurdly smug that I am, that the phone already is $100 USD cheaper in Canada :smuggo:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

CLAM DOWN posted:

They're so weird and dumb lately.

That Bohn boy at The Verge picks issue with the strangest thing these days too. I think he called the Extreme Battery Saver on the Pixel 5 "stupid" or something similar. As though being able to extend battery life in a pinch is idiotic.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

I cannot emphasize how absurdly smug that I am, that the phone already is $100 USD cheaper in Canada :smuggo:

Yeah but you're also waiting for the 29th like us poor, sad Americans. :v:

I still can't figure that out.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

That Bohn boy at The Verge picks issue with the strangest thing these days too. I think he called the Extreme Battery Saver on the Pixel 5 "stupid" or something similar. As though being able to extend battery life in a pinch is idiotic.

I've listened to a few tech podcasts lately and The Verge is a weird one. It's not exactly bad but...I don't know. He likened the Pixel 5 to the Nexus 5x really hard for some reason. They had Judner (UrAvgConsumer) on to talk about that and it was so shoddily tied together to make the comparison fit.

The worst is definitely All About Android where they had M. Brandon Lee from This Is Tech Today and didn't let him talk or include him in anything. Like, they just talked and one of the hosts (Google tells me her name is Florence) kept having to include him in on things and ask him what he thought like every 10-15 minutes as the other dudes kept ignoring him. It was so awkward.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Naw, Dieter is pretty good and he was really calling out google making a big deal about the extreme battery saver mode on their live stream which was pretty stupid you have to admit, especially when the phone stands on its own with great battery life. I find his reviews to be the most even keel out there on The Verge, highlighting the good and the bad and not being hyperbolic.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yeah but you're also waiting for the 29th like us poor, sad Americans. :v:

I still can't figure that out.

My shipping date is Nov 2-3 :(

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

5% Amazon cashback is keeping me from cancelling my order there and just going with Best Buy who says still that they will have it on release day for store pickup. It's close too because I would get like 1.5% on my card with Best Buy and 2.5% rewards points with best buy. So, it's essentially $7, but I can't justify paying $7 more to get it a few days earlier.

Still holding out hope that amazon ships them out starting this weekend, that's basically what they did for the Pixel 4. I had mine Sunday before release Thursday due to that.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

My shipping date is Nov 2-3 :(

:( Same.

bull3964 posted:

5% Amazon cashback is keeping me from cancelling my order there and just going with Best Buy who says still that they will have it on release day for store pickup. It's close too because I would get like 1.5% on my card with Best Buy and 2.5% rewards points with best buy. So, it's essentially $7, but I can't justify paying $7 more to get it a few days earlier.

Still holding out hope that amazon ships them out starting this weekend, that's basically what they did for the Pixel 4. I had mine Sunday before release Thursday due to that.

The only thing keeping me is Nebraska being #2 in the US for rising COVID cases or I'd probably do that too. Amazon has gotten SO much business from me since March, it's insane.

Getting it early would be awesome though!

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 21, 2020

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

bull3964 posted:

The real answer is you should never buy electronics on an Amazon card and instead buy them on a Citibank card. +2 years free warranty is worth way more than 5% cash back (3%, really, since most Citi cards also give 2% cash back) unless you are for some inscrutable reason actually paying full retail prices for a >$500 phone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Amazon card is a Citibank Visa.

Edit, no wait, it's Chase. They extend warranty too. Not two years, but lol if I'm keeping a phone for more than 2 years.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 21, 2020

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

bull3964 posted:

The Amazon card is a Citibank Visa.

Last I checked, the best any of the Amazon cards gives is a 1 year extended warranty, and only if the original warranty was 3 years or less. Most of Citi's MasterCard offerings (like the Double Cash card) give 2 years extended warranty on original warranties of up to 5 years.

Curious if you have a card with both Citi's 2 year warranty and Amazon's 5% cash back.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That's the thing, the extra year of warranty coverage isn't worth earning at a lower rate for me. I'm usually praying for electronics to die. I've hardly had to exercise a base warranty let alone an extended warranty on anything. It's either doa and gets returned or it lasts 15 years.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

bull3964 posted:

It's either doa and gets returned or it lasts 15 years.

Then I guess you and I live considerably different lives when it comes to mobile consumer electronics. My static stuff (desktop, TVs, etc.) tend to last a very long time, but the last 3 mobile phones I've had all have had issues that magically cropped up somewhat outside the normal 1 year warranty. Of course, since they were on payment plans I hadn't been able to utilize any CC extended warranty options, which I found profoundly frustrating.

That alone may drive me to get a P5 over a S20+, since I can get the P5 for $225 all paid up-front, while the S20+ would cost me $250 but lock me in to a 2-year payment plan, meaning a year out of warranty coverage.

Oh, another bit on the CC warranties: they normally do not have a deductible, which in many cases makes them even better than buying an extended warranty through somewhere like SquareTrade, or even direct from Google/Apple/etc (though you do have to deal with the reimbursement paperwork, instead of just taking it in to an Apple store and saying "FIX IT").

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yup, I've never had a smartphone develop any sort of fault in the time I've owned it.

My OG Droid still works.

I had a Nexus 5x that wouldn't die.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 22, 2020

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Anyone else having this issue in Messages?

Its not downloading texts from a couple people. I tap those blue thingies and it just spins for a long time. I'm connected to my wifi when they come in. They're not images either, just text. I already tried clearing the storage and cache in the app. On a pixel 3.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
So when is Google Play Music going to stop randomly updating my library in the background?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Yup, I've never had a smartphone develop any sort of fault in the time I've owned it.

My OG Droid still works.

I had a Nexus 5x that wouldn't die.

Don't you use a phone for two months and then switch though?

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
As I eagerly await my Pixel 5 I'm starting to think about wireless charging. I saw that Costco has some pretty cheap wireless charging Qi docks - would those work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Vasler posted:

As I eagerly await my Pixel 5 I'm starting to think about wireless charging. I saw that Costco has some pretty cheap wireless charging Qi docks - would those work?

They do! I have used them to charge my Iphone SE2020 and a... nexus 7 2013.