Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

There is a reason the reboot trick has so much traction in the support world, and its public facing support. When you need to keep your handle times below 7 minutes if you don't want to be pulled aside, you learn things that will make it easier to get people off the phones, and thing to make it look like it worked once so you can close the ticket.

I retain a small amount of shame from my stint at an ISP long ago when I would occasionally get rid of problem customers by telling them they needed to turn off their router, wait 20 minutes, then turn it back on and call back if it's still not working.

While that is a genuine troubleshooting step, the main goal was to play the odds that they'd get someone else when they called back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Jaded Burnout posted:

I retain a small amount of shame from my stint at an ISP long ago when I would occasionally get rid of problem customers by telling them they needed to turn off their router, wait 20 minutes, then turn it back on and call back if it's still not working.

While that is a genuine troubleshooting step, the main goal was to play the odds that they'd get someone else when they called back.

75% of calls at EA ended with something like that. I worked at a wireless ISP where I would just tell them I was rebooting their WAP

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

RFC2324 posted:

75% of calls at EA ended with something like that. I worked at a wireless ISP where I would just tell them I was rebooting their WAP

Rebooting customer poo poo fixes it like a solid 75% of the time

The remainder is "top of the line" netgear router that the customer added is the source of all their problems

Maybe a grand total of 1% of the time it's an actual thing somewhere else

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

Cardi B intensifies

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Oh man, I had a caller rip me up one side and down the other because "all you ever do is tell me to reboot. You never actually fix ANYTHING! "

It was loving Windows 9x, that's how you fixed 99.999999999% of issues.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
sfwarlock, how did you end up going with Gentle Ben and his Incredible Buffoonery?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I definitely have severe phone PTSD from being a call center jockey for 11 months. I haven't made a doctor's appointment in over 3 years because I can't find a way to set one up without calling, and it's nothing urgent, so gently caress it. If I'm actively dying, I'll think about calling.

On the upside, my dad used to use Boomer Business Tactics on call center folks. Y'know, defaulting to demanding a manager, refusing to take any answer at face value, giving them crap for not being able to solve something off script...when I went home and gave my parents the realtalk about my job, my dad immediately started filling out every survey when asked, and always giving 5/5s, even if he had complaints. "I give them the score and then make the complaint a suggestion," he said. Bless you, Papa Junglist. You're still a trainable Boomer.

Arquinsiel posted:

My favourite 1 review was in Xbox when the complaint was "postman shoved console through letterbox and broke it". I'm sorry that the postman who isn't the DHL contractor that Xbox used did that, I suppose?

Christ, I used to get those kind of reviews a lot. "3/5, technician took weeks to get back to me." Oh, because you misfiled the ticket by picking the wrong technology and department, and it languished in a dead queue for 3 weeks before someone randomly found it and re-filed it correctly instead of closing it (and possibly telling you to eat a dick, in so many words)? That's my fault? Cool, thanks for making me wait sweatily two more months to get promoted out of contracting into full time employment, you cock.

Arquinsiel posted:

Same job as above, HR accused me of hacking when I took the in-person typing test at their mass recruitment day to bring the contract online. Apparently 120 WPM was unacceptable for a 24 year old IT nerd in 2010, because "nobody types above 80 WPM. It's not possible" :negative:

lol, my dad taught me to type before I could read (he started teaching typing on electric typewriters, so by the time I was able to follow instructions, he had my hands on the home row), so I've been cruising at a casual 120wpm since I was a literal child. My co-workers at the engineering firm when I was in my mid 20s used to accuse me of faking it by bashing my fingers on the keys to make noise and impress people, until I started typing down everything they said while they made fun of me and then showed it to them when they stopped talking. Punctuation and all.

One guy felt bad and gave me a bottle of wine and a gift certificate to the local Chinese place to apologize :unsmith:

RFC2324 posted:

When its an internal help desk, there is a certain minimum of courtesy from most of your users because the org might fire them for being unprofessional. Getting a customer fired is WAY harder

I was internal help desk at :yayclod: when I was on the phones in the above stories. We did have a little bit of authority to tell our "customers" that they were actually our co-workers and couldn't talk to us like that. Then they tried to shift our call center to India without warning anyone, and everyone assumed the new Indian accented call center employees were outsourced, not internal, and treated them even worse than they treated us. What a godawful shitshow for that team.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I was internal help desk at :yayclod: when I was on the phones in the above stories. We did have a little bit of authority to tell our "customers" that they were actually our co-workers and couldn't talk to us like that. Then they tried to shift our call center to India without warning anyone, and everyone assumed the new Indian accented call center employees were outsourced, not internal, and treated them even worse than they treated us. What a godawful shitshow for that team.

At my first call center job(PeoplePC!!!) I shared a desk with a dude from India. He also had a masters from MIT, and new his poo poo. His handle times sucked because he spent the first several minutes of every call explaining that he really was in america, and he had a degree, and once or twice I had to vouch for him. I felt bad.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

lol, my dad taught me to type before I could read (he started teaching typing on electric typewriters, so by the time I was able to follow instructions, he had my hands on the home row), so I've been cruising at a casual 120wpm since I was a literal child. My co-workers at the engineering firm when I was in my mid 20s used to accuse me of faking it by bashing my fingers on the keys to make noise and impress people, until I started typing down everything they said while they made fun of me and then showed it to them when they stopped talking. Punctuation and all.

One guy felt bad and gave me a bottle of wine and a gift certificate to the local Chinese place to apologize :unsmith:
Since I was young enough to get offended about this kind of thing I made a big deal out of it and was all "just imagine if I was using a familiar keyboard :smug:" after they supervised a re-test.

RFC2324 posted:

At my first call center job(PeoplePC!!!) I shared a desk with a dude from India. He also had a masters from MIT, and new his poo poo. His handle times sucked because he spent the first several minutes of every call explaining that he really was in america, and he had a degree, and once or twice I had to vouch for him. I felt bad.
The number of English shitlords who started a call with "oh good, you're one of us, not one of them" and then got worse in Xbox was... impressive. We learned to mess with them so that they'd get angry and start screaming abuse before they even got a chance to start a ticket and just hang up. Turns out they get real mad when Irish people explain that no, we're not like you at all. Who knew? :iiam:

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I've never worked at a call centre, but I work in a prison. The alarms go off all the time during the day and you are alert to it but you are trained not to over react for obvious reasons. (well, they did pre-covid, it's very quiet these days)

One day there was a documentary about another prison with the same alarm system. When I heard work alarms coming out of my TV, I discovered that upset me somewhat.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Shugojin posted:

Rebooting customer poo poo fixes it like a solid 75% of the time

The remainder is "top of the line" netgear router that the customer added is the source of all their problems

Maybe a grand total of 1% of the time it's an actual thing somewhere else

Best one I got ... "oh, wait, your router self-identifies as vmware?" :v:

(The problem was on their end, and they didn't argue :sun: )

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Wibla posted:

Best one I got ... "oh, wait, your router self-identifies as vmware?" :v:

what?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

angry armadillo posted:

One day there was a documentary about another prison with the same alarm system. When I heard work alarms coming out of my TV, I discovered that upset me somewhat.

For a long time I had the iphone "klaxon" alarm as my ringtone, which used to screw me up all the time because TV and films often use the same sample which I guess is in some sound library somewhere.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Fried hardware can act WEIRD, up to and including deciding they are not hardware anymore

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

ConfusedUs posted:

Oh man, that was you? We were not kind.

I'm glad to see you've turned around a bit.

Heh. Yeah I got pretty roasted, but deservedly so. Just because Comcast (and most call-center-owning companies) is/are poo poo is not an excuse to bash on helpdesk phone jockeys. This thread has certainly showed me that helpdesk support has basically zero agency over the conditions they work in.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Agrikk posted:

Heh. Yeah I got pretty roasted, but deservedly so. Just because Comcast (and most call-center-owning companies) is/are poo poo is not an excuse to bash on helpdesk phone jockeys. This thread has certainly showed me that helpdesk support has basically zero agency over the conditions they work in.

If you still need to mess with them, try to get them to agree with you that the company sucks. They agree completely, but probably aren't allowed to say so, and, in my experience, will be suppressing the snickers as hard as they can.

Unless you get the one true believer dude, but he does deserve to be hosed with

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Jaded Burnout posted:

For a long time I had the iphone "klaxon" alarm as my ringtone, which used to screw me up all the time because TV and films often use the same sample which I guess is in some sound library somewhere.

I had the same thing happen in the opposite direction: I set up my work phone's notification sound as the "doorbell" from Star Trek TNG. At first it was cool and funny, but pretty soon I discovered that I couldn't watch an episode without getting a quick shot of anxiety every time someone wanted to talk to the captain in his ready room and the doorbell went off.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Powered Descent posted:

I had the same thing happen in the opposite direction: I set up my work phone's notification sound as the "doorbell" from Star Trek TNG. At first it was cool and funny, but pretty soon I discovered that I couldn't watch an episode without getting a quick shot of anxiety every time someone wanted to talk to the captain in his ready room and the doorbell went off.

My notification sound is a death knell. If I am going to gey a shot of anxiety, so is everyone else

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

This remains on point

https://twitter.com/alex_engelberg/status/1057659128707829760?lang=en

Scariest costume in fuckin years

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
My work email notification sound is the Reaper Honk from ME3, since it needed to be loud, piercing, and invoke a sense of dread.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

RFC2324 posted:

If you still need to mess with them, try to get them to agree with you that the company sucks. They agree completely, but probably aren't allowed to say so, and, in my experience, will be suppressing the snickers as hard as they can.

Unless you get the one true believer dude, but he does deserve to be hosed with

NOTHING makes a call center person's day more than acknowledging their struggle.

I've said variations of this many times:

"Look, I recognize you do not have the power to do what I'm asking. So let's go through the motions required of you, with the understanding that I'm simply not going to bite on any of it, and get me escalated to someone empowered to help me as soon as possible."

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I've responded "nice script!" and then moved on with my question for the ones who have punishingly bad and long opening scripts and it's never failed to get a chuckle.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Motronic posted:

I've responded "nice script!" and then moved on with my question for the ones who have punishingly bad and long opening scripts and it's never failed to get a chuckle.

A lot of the call centers I interact with have started to anticipate these sorts of issues with "I've got a whole spiel I have to give you now" which is ironically now part of the script, I guess.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Whoops

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

My router at the time was a VM running on an ESXi host.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
I have notifications straight up shut off on my phone. No vibration, no sound, completely silenced. If I do turn the audible alerts on, ringing is the bassline from Fleetwood Mac's "The Chain," and messages are an F1 downshift sound, and that poo poo only goes on if I'm waiting on an emergency call. Otherwise, it's either I check my phone when I drat well want to, and maybe I'll have an alert on my smart watch. Maybe. Probably not.

For a while, the "ding" sound doors at businesses make when you walk in would give me a twitch, because at Blockbuster we were expected to greet everyone who walked in. It took years to un-Pavlov that reflex.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I got a fun email asking for "a cable to connect two monitors together". They were of course trying to get a dual-monitor setup, but I had a good half-second or so of my brain short-circuiting by envisioning connecting the various ports on monitors together and trying to figure out what it would do.

Also

AlexDeGruven posted:

It was loving Windows 9x, that's how you fixed 99.999999999% of issues.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Knormal posted:

I got a fun email asking for "a cable to connect two monitors together". They were of course trying to get a dual-monitor setup, but I had a good half-second or so of my brain short-circuiting by envisioning connecting the various ports on monitors together and trying to figure out what it would do.

Also

https://www.dell.com/support/articl...ort-mst?lang=en

:science:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Knormal posted:

Also

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I spent 8 years in call centres doing customer support for 3 and then 5 in debt collection. The condtions were pretty good compared to what some of you are describing, but still suffered from many of the same call centre problems. I also suggest that debt collection is probably the worst job you can do while sitting down at a computer.

Looking back, I'm amazed I'm still alive. I lost a marriage and am enjoying years of therapy and medication afterwards, but I don't fear a ringing telephone.

I'll never, ever go back though.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I used to always wonder what these were for. I still to wonder why some monitors have two VGA ports.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Oh, users.

A couple weeks ago, in the middle of deploying 400-some laptops to people to support more permanent WfH, one user declined a BRAND NEW 15" laptop with a 6-core CPU and a Quadro T1000 in favor of his four-year-old, out of warranty, still using a spinning disk laptop.

The same user today sent in a ticket begging for help updating his old machine to Windows 10 2004, which - after looking into it - has been dropped off the domain for so long it's probably still on 1803.

Delicious, sweet irony. Enjoy spending a whole day in the office on someone's unused desktop while your laptop horks down a pile of updates, user!

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I have notifications straight up shut off on my phone. No vibration, no sound, completely silenced. If I do turn the audible alerts on, ringing is the bassline from Fleetwood Mac's "The Chain," and messages are an F1 downshift sound, and that poo poo only goes on if I'm waiting on an emergency call. Otherwise, it's either I check my phone when I drat well want to, and maybe I'll have an alert on my smart watch. Maybe. Probably not.

For a while, the "ding" sound doors at businesses make when you walk in would give me a twitch, because at Blockbuster we were expected to greet everyone who walked in. It took years to un-Pavlov that reflex.

Way back in the day (2008-2010), I was a dev for sweden's craigslist - basically the biggest website by traffic that wasn't a search engine or a newspaper. We had an on-call phone that we would hand off to whoever was on call, and usually nobody called it. Except when they did, it was usually from the support team or the CEO and the website was down or there were serious production issues and we were losing tons of money by the site not working. It was an old-school Nokia with the default ringtone.

Naturally, every dev there got a pavlovian reaction to that ringtone, and if some new person joined and didn't reset their ringtone from that, they'd get jumped by devs yelling "SWITCH YOUR GODDAMN RING SIGNAL" since their adrenaline was rushing thinking we broke poo poo again.

We later replaced this with a phone that could accept MP3 ringtones, and promptly configured it to something less default

I miss that place.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

luminalflux posted:

We later replaced this with a phone that could accept MP3 ringtones, and promptly configured it to something less default

I miss that place.

:laffo: who the gently caress came up with that idea? (or was it just an elaborate ruse to Rick roll the thread? :v: )

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

YggiDee posted:

I only worked at a call centre for a month, but I knew I had to get out when I started stress-puking every morning.

I remember seeing articles about call center employees developing PTSD but I can't find them now.

I know I had a breakdown after a year working call center for a hospital IT outsourcing company. We were allowed at most 3 rings before answering, 15 seconds of post call work before going automatically on ready, and average call time should be under 5 minutes. We had to handle 1300-1600 calls a day with a staff of like 30 total taking calls.

I switched shifts and eventually up and then out but it took a few years. When I left they company has been bought and they had made all the call center employees temp workers through a staffing agency and cut 3rd shift from 2 people to 1 so if there was ever a call in or emergency everything was hosed. I now work call center adjacent and have to talk to customers from time to time but it is nowhere near as bad.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Carth Dookie posted:

I also suggest that debt collection is probably the worst job you can do while sitting down at a computer.
Well of the two times I have seen a friend since this pandemic started one of them was me listeing to a dude list off the things he saw working for the Instagram moderation contract at Accenture that made him want to kill himself so... do not tempt capitalism to make things worse for you.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
This thread has made me appreciate my T1 support line and forgive the spelling mitsakes, poor grammar, horrifying abbreviations and punctuation and otherwise in tickets. Because it's already hell having someone talk at you for 8 hours a day, you don't need condescension from your T2/3 support on top of the shitheap that is the phone.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Wibla posted:

:laffo: who the gently caress came up with that idea? (or was it just an elaborate ruse to Rick roll the thread? :v: )

It was a consensus decision reached in about 5 seconds once we realized it was possible

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Yeah but we have nothing near that fancy at my place, and the user is definitely not technically-inclined enough to be aware of that. Probably half of our monitors are still VGA-only or just VGA and DVI.

As an example of the user's knowledge one of the two "monitors" they wanted to connect together was an all-in-one desktop.

Arquinsiel posted:

I used to always wonder what these were for. I still to wonder why some monitors have two VGA ports.
I assume they're for when you need to turn two regular VGA cables into one long cable, and don't want to just buy a single long cord for some reason? I don't see what else it could do. Assuming that's female on both sides, that is. I've come across one or two of those at my work and wondered the same.

And I always assumed the dual-VGA monitors could do like picture-in-picture or something similar, so you could keep an eye on one input down in the corner in the days before easy remote desktoping?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Knormal posted:

Yeah but we have nothing near that fancy at my place, and the user is definitely not technically-inclined enough to be aware of that. Probably half of our monitors are still VGA-only or just VGA and DVI.

As an example of the user's knowledge one of the two "monitors" they wanted to connect together was an all-in-one desktop.

I assume they're for when you need to turn two regular VGA cables into one long cable, and don't want to just buy a single long cord for some reason? I don't see what else it could do. Assuming that's female on both sides, that is. I've come across one or two of those at my work and wondered the same.
It's a gender flippers adapter, so it's useful if you end up with a weirdass VGA cable or if you need to extend them for some reason. I've used the DB-9 version to extend a Cisco console cable, but that was literally one time.