Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloudmonkey98
Apr 1, 2019

Geemer posted:

Good job, Tea!

Also, Nat, the pseudo screw attack has been in the games since Super Metroid. Super Metroid even teaches you about all its secret techniques in the intro demo as you progress through the game, which is why I was hoping you'd watch those once you beat the game.

Super Metroid only teaches you Wall Jump and Shinespark, Pseudo-Screw is easy to find, but you're given no guidance on Crystal Flash, and barely any on Charge-Combos or Bomb Spread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Cloudmonkey98 posted:

Super Metroid only teaches you Wall Jump and Shinespark, Pseudo-Screw is easy to find, but you're given no guidance on Crystal Flash, and barely any on Charge-Combos or Bomb Spread

You're thinking while playing the game itself. In the attract mode, it shows at least Pseudo-screw, crystal flash, and a charge combo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftfsh57LTp4&t=40s

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Unreal_One posted:

You're thinking while playing the game itself. In the attract mode, it shows at least Pseudo-screw, crystal flash, and a charge combo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftfsh57LTp4&t=40s

Huh, that video is missing the demo that shows off the bomb spread.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

So the game gives you more reasons to fear the SA-X, not only have the X hijacked full power Samus, theyve taken her metroid killing tactics too.
Note how the SA-X freezes then super missiles you.

Also re: the galfed not being in the up and up, early in the game theres something that implies that.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

just casually keeping some metroid bits around in case they come in handy, as one does

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 17, 2020

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
In Tea's defense, he just said to go after it, he didn't lie and say there were any incentives in actually picking a fight with the thing. When everything in the game says to avoid fighting it at all costs and these two have a tongue in cheek thing going on, I think there can be some forgiveness afforded there.

Trump Card
Jun 25, 2008

HEY GUYS
One detail I like about Fusion is the missile sprite and how it changes as it upgrades. It subtly shows you just how weak you still are with your super missile using the same sprite as your regular missiles from SM

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Cockashocka
Sep 13, 2013

Bubble brother

Oops, I forgot about the Emergency in Sector 3 part for a second, good thing you got through it on first try though.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

You cleared that a lot faster than I expected :psyduck:.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

So hey, one trend I like a lot in post-Super Metroid games is the diverging of the Ice effect onto its own function, which avoids the pitfalls you sometimes ran into with the Ice Beam slowing your kills down in Super. This game has it on Missiles, Samus Returns has the Ice Beam as its own toggle, and I think it helps the flow a lot to keep it as its own thing.

Zero Mission did have the fused Ice Beam run well enough for its needs too, granted, so it's not a huge deal.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Putting it on missiles here slows things down similarly since they're a very nifty weapon and now everything will take one more shot than it used to, though I agree with the general sentiment.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
One of the things I like about this game and haven't mentioned yet is that your beam attack become hilariously large by the end of the game, and the Wide Beam is obviously to thank for that. You probably noticed it if you actually managed to record the rest of the game this past weekend!

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Yeah, having ice on missiles is nice in that it's no longer on your beam, but on the other hand, it makes your super missiles a little less super (and it's a common complaint that you barely have any time to use or enjoy the super missiles before they get replaced). IIRC the ice missiles still do super missile damage, but you lose the satisfying feel of the big explosion and they can no longer kill in one hit (because you always get the freeze instead).

A missile type selector in this game (like Super Metroid or Zero Mission) would have been a nice feature. I guess they didn't want you having too many ammo types? And, of course, there's no actual need to revert, because the game is designed around you having only one type of missile at a time. Still, it's enough to make one miss the ability to turn off powerups like in Super Metroid.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Explopyro posted:

Yeah, having ice on missiles is nice in that it's no longer on your beam, but on the other hand, it makes your super missiles a little less super (and it's a common complaint that you barely have any time to use or enjoy the super missiles before they get replaced). IIRC the ice missiles still do super missile damage, but you lose the satisfying feel of the big explosion and they can no longer kill in one hit (because you always get the freeze instead).

A missile type selector in this game (like Super Metroid or Zero Mission) would have been a nice feature. I guess they didn't want you having too many ammo types? And, of course, there's no actual need to revert, because the game is designed around you having only one type of missile at a time. Still, it's enough to make one miss the ability to turn off powerups like in Super Metroid.

The lack of buttons on the GBA was likely a factor here, using the default Select button in Super Metroid sucked.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

"Of course there's a self-destruct sequence" - Everyone playing their second Metroid game

I'm starting to think a self-destruct mechanism is mandated by space-OSHA.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

i think fusion actually has 3 self-destruct sequences. okay, two and a half.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Omobono posted:

I'm starting to think a self-destruct mechanism is mandated by space-OSHA.

If youre a horrible biological (space) horror containment facility then yes, it is.

We are glad to say that Umbrella corp is fully OSHA compliant.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

5 minutes in did you say "peak" is slang for bad because it's short for "peak time" and that's when you have lots of bears? I either didn't hear that right or England is a weird place where you can set your watch by the wildlife migration.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bruceski posted:

5 minutes in did you say "peak" is slang for bad because it's short for "peak time" and that's when you have lots of bears? I either didn't hear that right or England is a weird place where you can set your watch by the wildlife migration.

And that's when you have high fares (on the trains and buses etc.)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Natural 20 posted:

And that's when you have high fares (on the trains and buses etc.)

That makes a lot more sense. One of those moments when you know you've parsed something wrong but can't figure out how to get to the right words.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
If the SA-X has Samus' memories, maybe it just reflexively set everything to blow up and then raced a countdown to get to a ship and escape, because that's what she always does. It was probably very disappointed when the countdown stopped right before its last second escape.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm pretty sure that Energy Tank you struggled with in PYR has one of those pillars in the floor that you have to bomb to make appear, and that you were a tile or two from unintentionally bombing it. I was screaming at my computer that whole time.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Bruceski posted:

England is a weird place

:hmmyes:

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
The only time I've heard peak being used as bad when it comes to slang is bigoted fucknuts insulting trans people, saying kids are becoming "peak trans," or insulting someone's mannerisms, saying they're "peak trans." And when it comes to cool music being behind the times, I once heard Pink on the oldies station from the radio. Specifically that whole, "I'm coming out, and it's time to get this party started!" Yeah, not my first choice for oldies songs.

re: the difficulty, some of the upcoming bosses don't gently caress around.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Shitenshi posted:

The only time I've heard peak being used as bad when it comes to slang is bigoted fucknuts insulting trans people, saying kids are becoming "peak trans," or insulting someone's mannerisms, saying they're "peak trans." And when it comes to cool music being behind the times, I once heard Pink on the oldies station from the radio. Specifically that whole, "I'm coming out, and it's time to get this party started!" Yeah, not my first choice for oldies songs.

re: the difficulty, some of the upcoming bosses don't gently caress around.

Wait, didn't that come out in 2001? I got angry enough when REM started playing on my local one. I need to find a new station for Motown and Folk Rock and stuff like that, but these days that means internet connection and I can't be arsed to figure out how to set that up in my car and whether it's useful in the places I drive or would rack up a bunch of data charges. There's a great local station that's been going since back when that stuff was current Pop but their signal range is in the single digit of miles, drops out if a medium-sized building gets in the way, and some other broadcast station is trying to take the channel and the commercials are interspersed with "please write the FCC and tell them you actually listen to us" so who knows if they'll be able to stay.

Basically I thought Oldies was a fixed genre instead of a moving one like Pop and waited too long to cultivate a collection of the genres I enjoy before it shifted.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Bruceski posted:

In Starsector "Peak" time refers to "peak performance time" or how long the ship can be in combat before it starts losing combat readiness and getting penalties.
In Eve Online, "Peak" time can refer to timezones that eve online player in that region usually come on to play, and "peak" time for corporations or alliances means what timezone they are strongest in from more of their members being online.

Peak time can also refer to various other things depending on how it's used. Peak time to travel could be considered during the dead of night when the streets are empty and there's no one to crash into and no traffic. Freeway "peak" time could refer to the time freeways are packed with traffic.

Peak solar time could also considered the best time of the day that solar generates the most energy.

Can't think of any other uses of "peak".

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Bruceski posted:

Wait, didn't that come out in 2001? I got angry enough when REM started playing on my local one. I need to find a new station for Motown and Folk Rock and stuff like that, but these days that means internet connection and I can't be arsed to figure out how to set that up in my car and whether it's useful in the places I drive or would rack up a bunch of data charges. There's a great local station that's been going since back when that stuff was current Pop but their signal range is in the single digit of miles, drops out if a medium-sized building gets in the way, and some other broadcast station is trying to take the channel and the commercials are interspersed with "please write the FCC and tell them you actually listen to us" so who knows if they'll be able to stay.

Basically I thought Oldies was a fixed genre instead of a moving one like Pop and waited too long to cultivate a collection of the genres I enjoy before it shifted.

It probably was just a fluke to be fair. This was a local station in the boondocks of Trump Country I was hearing it on, so all the rules of normal are firmly out the window. On the other hand, I did randomly Google "pink oldies," just now and a whole bunch of her albums are listed on oldies.com, so maybe it's not all that unusual.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

C-Euro posted:

I'm pretty sure that Energy Tank you struggled with in PYR has one of those pillars in the floor that you have to bomb to make appear, and that you were a tile or two from unintentionally bombing it. I was screaming at my computer that whole time.

You can keep your shinespark if you spin jump, but the timing is super tight though since it disappears pretty quick.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Samus can hold a shinespark for half an eternity (2 to 3 seconds I think).

IIRC in that room you have to store the 'spark, wall jump to the high floor and then fly upwards to the alcove with the energy tank in it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
It was bugging me so I dug out my SP to confirm, and yeah it's a pillar (which can also be triggered by a couple of mid/late-game upgrades!).

Also my SP still works guys :buddy: drat this thing is tiny though...

E: when Nintendo finally shuts down the 3DS eShop I hope they put Fusion and the other Ambassador games up for sale in those final days. I know there's a 0% chance that they will but I hope it happens.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 22, 2020

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

C-Euro posted:

It was bugging me so I dug out my SP to confirm, and yeah it's a pillar (which can also be triggered by a couple of mid/late-game upgrades!).

Also my SP still works guys :buddy: drat this thing is tiny though...

E: when Nintendo finally shuts down the 3DS eShop I hope they put Fusion and the other Ambassador games up for sale in those final days. I know there's a 0% chance that they will but I hope it happens.

I'm not the only one who found their old SP!! First gen with original battery. The front light on this thing is so much worse than I remember it being.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Reminder that on the original GBA you really couldn't see poo poo in NOC. Made dodging the ice X much scarier than what Nat had to go through.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

pointlessone posted:

I'm not the only one who found their old SP!! First gen with original battery. The front light on this thing is so much worse than I remember it being.

I have the same model and the light does indeed look like crap lol. But I still love it, it might be my favorite console and favorite piece of gaming hardware despite its flaws.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
When it comes to playing GBA games on a system with light, always go with the DS. Even the coloration is improved.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

The SA-X encounters are so good in this game. They really show off how it must feel to be a space pirate towards the end of a game and Samus comes blasting into your base of operations.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

For the record, if you just sit and wait, without using the power bomb, the SA-X will leave. Once it's encounter theme goes away, it is safe to power bomb and leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

BlazeEmblem posted:

For the record, if you just sit and wait, without using the power bomb, the SA-X will leave. Once it's encounter theme goes away, it is safe to power bomb and leave.

...what?