Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Laserface posted:

I did the no-shampoo changeover at the start of iso in march. no shampoo for 6+ weeks, only rinsing it in the shower once a week to keep the bugs out.

my hair is really fine and got so oily i had to wash it daily. now I wash it twice a week and its not getting greasy in that time at all. its healthier too; way less breakages/split ends too because im not drying and combing it every day. I've managed to grow it way longer than ever before. currently almost down to my nips and my beard isnt far behind.

I want to do something like this but I need to treat my scalp daily to stop it getting dry which of course also washes my hair.
Cool my scalp flake story is at the top of the page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Infinitum posted:

Didn't even get the hot towel for the beard, just a dry razor.

On a scale of 1-10 how irritated is your skin RN

ili posted:

Yeah it sucks arse hey. Unfortunately I've got a bit of a solar panel going on so it's hats ahoy from here on.

Same, she's a bit hosed

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

McSpergin posted:

On a scale of 1-10 how irritated is your skin RN

I have very sensitive skin~

Another reason I went the beard route was because I ended up shaving at night to allow my skin enough time to go back to normal. So I would go to bed scratchy and I hated it.
Yes I tried a bunch of different routines and lotions.

Beard life best life.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

people be growing beards so that they can grow a jawline

i know what chinless existence you are hiding under there, you can't fool me

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Flannelette posted:

I want to do something like this but I need to treat my scalp daily to stop it getting dry which of course also washes my hair.
Cool my scalp flake story is at the top of the page.

not washing your hair will mean that your natural oils are more present and capable of moisturising your scalp.

be prepapred to look like complete poo poo for the first two weeks.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Laserface posted:

be prepapred to look like complete poo poo for the first two weeks.

I was born prepared.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Laserface posted:

I did the no-shampoo changeover at the start of iso in march. no shampoo for 6+ weeks, only rinsing it in the shower once a week to keep the bugs out.

I did it for about a decade until recently. I was motivated because commercial shampoo and condition was dog poo poo at the time. I had basic straight shoulder length hair and no-poo was pretty fine for that, with the caveat that the extra oil in the hair and weight of it tended to flatten the top a bit (which isn't great if you have fine hair). The issue is when I started styling it more wavy/curly with a bit of volume, it didn't work out so great.

It seems like there are better options at the supermarket now. The one I switched to is supposed to be volumising, and does the 'no bad chemicals' thing. I was kinda surprised how well it works while still maintaining a scalp that still has a bit of the natural oils thing going on. I can get out of bed the next day, and with a few strokes of the comb then running my fingers through it, it's made up.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
This thread truly is a many splendoured thing.

naeka
Sep 1, 2008

Hells yes hair chat, one of my friends does the natural hair thing for atleast the 10 years I've known her and her hair is god drat incredible, insanely lush and long and grows so fast. I've never been game enough to go long without washing mine cause i already come across disheveled enough. I found the Loreal Elvive shampoo and conditioner line works great after trying dozens of different ones with varying results, totally recommend it. The Lush ones are really good too I've found and smell great or disgusting depending on your tastes but expensive.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Chopping off my hair this weekend. 8 ish years of having it below my shoulders (mostly tied up). Just over it. Gets in the way of wearing hats, takes ages to dry. I'll still be incredibly handsome without flowy mermaid hair. Deliberately picking a style that's a bit longer so I can bail out of it if need be.

The best my hair ever looked was when i hosed up and just bought conditioner instead of shampoo without noticing. Conditioning it 2 - 3 times a week, no shampoo. Looked great for those months. Hair is weird and everyone's is different.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
One of my bugbears of modern life is toothpaste

Not that I have to use it, a clean mouth is a great thing

It's that toothpaste tubes are entirely non recyclable

Like I am unable to easily access ethical oral hygiene

I've bought some tablets of toothpaste online and will report back

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

IDK why toothpaste can't come in a pump pack apparently they're working on it:

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/15/business/colgate-recycle-toothpaste-tube-trnd/index.html

still, they're a pharmaceutical co, so im sure they're still doing death squads in some far off land or poisoning rivers somewhere else

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Jestery posted:

One of my bugbears of modern life is toothpaste

Not that I have to use it, a clean mouth is a great thing

It's that toothpaste tubes are entirely non recyclable

Like I am unable to easily access ethical oral hygiene

I've bought some tablets of toothpaste online and will report back

There was one of Those Instagram ads that I think was about toothpaste that came in a water-soluble tablet form like those no-packaging dishwasher tablets. I didn’t really look at it or click through though.

I just did a search for “toothpaste tablet” and got a bunch of results. It even looks like toothpaste tablets in pill form are apparently a thing.

I think you’ll be paying for it though.

naeka
Sep 1, 2008

I've used toothpaste tablets and they seem to work well enough just easier to swallow when you're gargling than regular toothpaste which tastes icky and more costly.

e; oh and crushing those suckers with your teeth and chomping em up is a bit annoying.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I use Anchors Aweigh brand shampoo and conditioner for my lovely hair. Bit pricier but it's mostly natural and smells good and my hair feels good so YMMV

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
I'm alternating Cetaphil baby shampoo and Head & Shoulders at the moment because dry scalp and chemo hair.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I use Organic care shampoo and body wash because my cousins mate works there and gives me a box of 10 1L pump bottles whenever I see em. Pretty good products, no SLS etc and aussie owned.

Toothpaste is annoying because they all sell giant boxes now but when you open the box it's like 30% of the volume was air, another 30% was the oversized cap and the rest is toothpaste. You gotta know which brands still sell the tiny cap/long tube ones.

And yeah leaving your hair to go oily is good for it. I found that it tended to dry quicker because the oil is water resistant and the hair was mostly saturated already so couldn't hold much moisture.

I also found that brushing or combing to spread the oil out along the length of the hair helps train your scalp to not be so oily all the time. Especially after a rinse in the early stages.

Dry shampoo (the expensive batiste one for max volume) is also good if you have really greasy/floppy straight fine hair like I do. Does dramatically increase scalp itchiness but it is way lighter and more effective than standard hairspray for poo poo hair.

Seems that between tokamak myself and another poster (bill posters or well why not can't remember I'm on mobile) we could have a pretty sweet opeth/dream theatre cosplay going on.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQnEuaFamcQ

naeka
Sep 1, 2008

Has anyone done long term hair straightening? I've heard bad things about chemically doing it but i hate using hair straightener all the time so only do it on special occasions. God drat curly hair is annoying as heck.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
I tried a lot of toothpaste alternatives, like the powders. Hard to beat normal toothpaste but yeah so much loving plastic. maybe we need those neem? branches the Indians use.,

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

naeka posted:

Has anyone done long term hair straightening? I've heard bad things about chemically doing it but i hate using hair straightener all the time so only do it on special occasions. God drat curly hair is annoying as heck.

From what I understand it's just as harsh as a perm and it's still not wash and wear.

My hair is normally thick, wavy and coarse. It was way too tedious to use hair straightener so I bought a $20 straightening brush which did a pretty good job of taming it. I'm thinking of using it on these out of control curls.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

if my head-hair was as thick and coarse as my beard-hair I could probably carry several printers to girls houses with it.

naeka
Sep 1, 2008

Lolie posted:

From what I understand it's just as harsh as a perm and it's still not wash and wear.

My hair is normally thick, wavy and coarse. It was way too tedious to use hair straightener so I bought a $20 straightening brush which did a pretty good job of taming it. I'm thinking of using it on these out of control curls.

Yup same thing I heard and sounds like my hair I just use a straightening brush in the morning too and call it a day there. Never dyed it or had it treated in any way before too thin for me to want to risk using any chemicals in it lol.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
I feel there's an untapped market for Indian hip hop

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Yeah ever since Das Racist broke up its been a sad state of affairs

Heems is still at it sometimes though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4Yb8AWXgLI&t=41s

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

naeka posted:

Curly air owns lean into the lifestyle

CAMP FARTING ROCKS
Jan 14, 2005

Caesar Saladin posted:

people be growing beards so that they can grow a jawlinepersonality

Beards are gross, scratchy and for dullards. Reasonably maintained stubble is where it's at. v:shobon:v

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

naeka posted:

Just embrace it (says the person whose hair only has a couple of loose curls at the ends)

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

You know what's better than facial hair? Not having facial hair

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
My hair is vacating the top of my head at an accelerating rate so I embraced the beard life cause otherwise the baldness becomes more of a focus. I don't really mind going bald though tbh.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Moustaches are fucken sick and I'll not hear a word against em.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Lotta people itt upset they can't get past bumfluff stage of facial hair growth.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

The only time I haven't had a full beard for the last twenty years was the year or so that I had an extremely rad Magnum PI moustache.

It features prominently in my sister-in-law's wedding photos and I choose to believe it's the reason she is now divorced.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

ili posted:

Moustaches are fucken sick and I'll not hear a word against em.

I had a moustache for a while during this quarantine, lots of people liked it but I just couldn't handle how it felt on my face and it aggravated my clicky jaw

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Laserface posted:

Lotta people itt upset they can't get past bumfluff stage of facial hair growth.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here

Caesar Saladin posted:

Yeah ever since Das Racist broke up its been a sad state of affairs

Heems is still at it sometimes though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4Yb8AWXgLI&t=41s

I mean full on turbans, accents and the Ganges

With a population of 1.3 billion you'd have to sell some albums

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

I keep my stubble at 5mm and electric shave it down to that when it starts to get uneven. I prob should’ve taken the covid home quarantine period to experiment beard styles

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ever have that one mate who is super bad at communicating?

Having the lads round on the weekend, so he sends a message confirming the starting time and at the same time dropped a bomb in a group chat that his previously walking fiancée is now in a wheelchair and he has to drop her off at a friends first.
Then just straight up doesn't reply to any messages you send him asking him "wtf is she ok?"

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Ever have that one mate who is super bad at communicating?

Having the lads round on the weekend, so he sends a message confirming the starting time and at the same time dropped a bomb in a group chat that his previously walking fiancée is now in a wheelchair and he has to drop her off at a friends first.
Then just straight up doesn't reply to any messages you send him asking him "wtf is she ok?"

Here's your mate.

loving dead set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

naeka posted:

I love my curly hair, but it took the right couple of styles to get there. The right styles for me are not long. I used to have hair down to my arse, ridiculous. I’ll never have anything past the ears again.