Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yesterday I pieced the front intercooler / radiator / oil cooler ducting back together and unglued a NB2 headlight lens to replace the driver side. Ignore the passenger side not fitting right, it isn't bolted onto the radiator support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Changed the air filter, oil, and transaxle fluid on the Prius. The transaxle fluid was dark as hell and definitely original. It also splattered everywhere.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Panty Saluter posted:

Well, let's look at the MAP connector.

Quite a bit more damp than it should be. Oddly enough I have no WD-40 on hand so I just hit it with some Deoxit and plugged and unplugged it a few times. Code hasn't reappeared yet but we will see.

Someone went a bit ham on the mounting screws there. Yikes.

fknlo posted:

Changed the air filter, oil, and transaxle fluid on the Prius. The transaxle fluid was dark as hell and definitely original. It also splattered everywhere.

Wait - that's a Toyota. You're not supposed to have to do any maintenance to those, ever!!!1

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Darchangel posted:

Someone went a bit ham on the mounting screws there. Yikes.

I did not, they were already quite rusty and I did my best :colbert:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Remounted a fuel tank with a buddy. Glad I did two because that took about a quarter of the time. I've never had a good time with fuel straps and today was no different. It took one person with a pry bar and the other with a bolt to get it started and even then, it was just barely working, once you get it threaded it's easy and you just archemdes your way down and all is good.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Washed it.
She was a dirty, dirty girl. You could barely tell it was white. The moment of clarity of need was when I needed to squeegee fog off of the rear window (since it's getting chilly enough to condense in the mornings, finally) and I was concerned about leaning on the car due to the dirt, especially the trunk lid. It was an overcast day, but no rain forecast, so perfect for washing.
It looks a whole lot better than it did, believe it or not:

First time I used the power washer and foam cannon. I expect it would work better if the dirt hadn't been as heavy as it was. I still had to scrub, but the initial spray down took a lot of the dirt off.
It would look pretty dang good if not for the dent the falling tree limb made, and the typical Ford white paint peeling/chipping. At least what's there is still shiny.

For those curious, that's my '70 Olds Cutlass on the other side of the Vic, and the '79 RX-7 that's been featured in my thread in front of the Cutlass.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Did a barrel roll!

What happened?

wallaka fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 17, 2020

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Everyone ok?

But alas, goodnight, sweet prince.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Minto Took posted:

Everyone ok?

But alas, goodnight, sweet prince.

We’re ok but gonna sore tomorrow. Thankfully, it was the wife’s car. Two and a half flips and 4/5 doors opened just fine, so props to Ford.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Holy poo poo man, I am glad you are all mostly alright.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

drat, glad everyone is ok. Did the other driver even stop?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

It didn't even explode!

Glad you're ok!

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Suburban Dad posted:

drat, glad everyone is ok. Did the other driver even stop?

She did. The right rear wheel was borked.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

wallaka posted:

We’re ok but gonna sore tomorrow. Thankfully, it was the wife’s car. Two and a half flips and 4/5 doors opened just fine, so props to Ford.

First off, glad you're ok.

But second I saw the results of a nasty one person accident the other night (Texas just reopened bars and BOY HOWDY PEOPLE WERE TAKING ADVANTAGE). They had run into a pole at considerable speed and utterly destroyed the safety cage of this Lexus sedan. Had to have the fire department extricate them. I really wonder now how fast they were going, if y'all rolled a much heavier vehicle and still got out through the doors.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Panty Saluter posted:

First off, glad you're ok.

But second I saw the results of a nasty one person accident the other night (Texas just reopened bars and BOY HOWDY PEOPLE WERE TAKING ADVANTAGE). They had run into a pole at considerable speed and utterly destroyed the safety cage of this Lexus sedan. Had to have the fire department extricate them. I really wonder now how fast they were going, if y'all rolled a much heavier vehicle and still got out through the doors.

I think we were very lucky, rolling the car soaked up the energy slowly compared to an instant stop. The deceleration wasn’t too bad, we don’t have any whiplash at all. The pain level in the rest of my muscles is comparable to the day after an intense workout.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
For a second scrolling past the first picture, the reflection made it look like blood on the inside of the windshield.

If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bought tires for the truck. Went with a fairly well rated Michelin all season with "superior cold performance."

Now to sort out a remote starter.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

wallaka posted:

She did. The right rear wheel was borked.

Rule #13 if someone is causing an accident that will be their fault: make sure to tag them before hitting anything/anybody else. Can't run if their car is disabled, and insurance can't say "well you didn't HIT them, therefore it's your fault even if the accident was a direct action of taking evasive moves to avoid the dipshit".

Glad you guys are okay

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
re: wallaka - Jesus gently caress, glad you two made it out alright.

Miata got BMW E30 front hubs / wheel bearings so I don't need to worry about them imploding. It was a $400 alternative to the $1200 Miatahubs billet front hubs. The rear will be getting Sadfab 3rd gen MR2 hubs.

Also temporarily pieced together the old front bumper since I am having a difficult time finding an NB2 front bumper locally. I'll be plastic welding it from behind and removing the zipties now that I know it kind of fits.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 18, 2020

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

The Mini got a telemetry upgrade today. I picked up a NIB ScanGauge II off eBay and a CravenSpeed gauge bracket from Way Motor Works.

The bracket is affixed to the rear of the tachometer / trip computer which sits on top of the steering column.

Having fed the data cable up the steering column it is now time to secure it to the arm. Bring on the zip ties!

Tidy work above demands equal attention to the footwell. The excess data cable is looped up and secured so as to keep it safely away from the driver's feet.

The tachometer is back in position and secured to the steering column via two M8 bolts. I misplaced one of the OEM Torx bolts and the bracket gets in the way so I scrounged up some M8 Allen bolts so I could use a wobble head to snake in between the pod and the dash to thread and secure the bolts.

It verks!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Pulled the front right headlight bucket / fender support out of the car today and ordered a new one for $55.

Figured I am waiting on other stuff so I may as well replace it now rather than when I cut the quarter panels and trunk drip rails out. I'm no body guy but I own a drill and a mig, so here we go.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

Unboxed my new EJ25 short block and got it on the stand for my '05 LGT. Heads are rebuilt on the bench, injectors came back from FIC for cleaning today, and a mountain of other parts are coming from Rock Auto and the Subaru dealer to get everything assembled. Hopefully I've got the car back together by the end of October, but I've also got the AC to fix in my wife's car, and a snowblower that needs new tires and a tune-up before the snow really gets going.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Did my annual oil change on the S2000 to get it ready to put away for winter. I'll clean it up tomorrow and then under the cover it goes :smith:

Darchangel posted:

Wait - that's a Toyota. You're not supposed to have to do any maintenance to those, ever!!!1

About that, I'm pretty sure my brake actuator is going bad. Weirdly it didn't start making the death noise until I changed the oil and transaxle fluid. It's also one of those things I won't gently caress with myself so goodbye $2000 :homebrew: :homebrew: :homebrew:

e: Sweet, it's only $1500 at the local hybrid shop. They told me not to mess with it until the warning lights come on unless I feel like spending the money.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 20, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I dunno, a friend's Prius was running the accumulator pump every ~30 seconds long before the money lights came on, and his brakes were noticeably worse for quite awhile before it finally went O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree.

What's particularly obnoxious is they use the accumulator setup on non-hybrids too - a friend had it fail on his 4Runner, except on that, it went to non-assisted brakes entirely, while out in the middle of BFE Colorado on a camping trip (at least on a hybrid, you have regen braking). It was a somewhat low mile CPO purchase, but he'd taken it from 50k to 120k in a bit over a year, so the warranty guys just laughed (he's had it almost 5 years now, I think he's well past 250k at this point on the 4Runner, only repair outside of a new battery so far though)

There's a service advisory/halfassed recall that gets it done for free on some cars. Spit your VIN or plate at this https://www.toyota.com/recall

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

STR posted:

I dunno, a friend's Prius was running the accumulator pump every ~30 seconds long before the money lights came on, and his brakes were noticeably worse for quite awhile before it finally went O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree.

There's a service advisory/halfassed recall that gets it done for free on some cars. Spit your VIN or plate at this https://www.toyota.com/recall

I was not expecting them to tell me that. I was doing regular trips to KC but I'm not sure if that's happening any more and it going out on one of those is really my biggest concern. That doesn't like my VIN for some reason. I don't have actual plates on the Prius yet to use the other option either.

Washed the S2000 today. It's super annoying when there's STILL loving ash falling from the sky because 2020 is literal hell world. I'll let it dry for a couple days and then the cover goes on.

All 3 cars in one shot :3:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

fknlo posted:

I was not expecting them to tell me that. I was doing regular trips to KC but I'm not sure if that's happening any more and it going out on one of those is really my biggest concern. That doesn't like my VIN for some reason. I don't have actual plates on the Prius yet to use the other option either.

Washed the S2000 today. It's super annoying when there's STILL loving ash falling from the sky because 2020 is literal hell world. I'll let it dry for a couple days and then the cover goes on.

All 3 cars in one shot :3:

I refuse to put my S2K away yet. It was 75 and sunny here in PA today so I drove home from work with the top off. I’m sure shortly I’ll tuck it away behind the EP3, but NOT YET DAMMIT!

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

fknlo posted:

I work parts at a Toyota dealership if you want me to run your vin to see if there's anything open on it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I refuse to put my S2K away yet. It was 75 and sunny here in PA today so I drove home from work with the top off. I’m sure shortly I’ll tuck it away behind the EP3, but NOT YET DAMMIT!

That's our next 10 days. It also snowed at the beginning of September but that doesn't count. I might need to put the snows on the M3 as I haven't ordered a set for the Prius yet out of pure laziness and the all seasons on it are definitely in need of replacement to the point where they'll probably have issues if any of that sticks.

Night Danger Moose posted:

I work parts at a Toyota dealership if you want me to run your vin to see if there's anything open on it.

PM sent

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

fknlo posted:

That's our next 10 days. It also snowed at the beginning of September but that doesn't count. I might need to put the snows on the M3 as I haven't ordered a set for the Prius yet out of pure laziness and the all seasons on it are definitely in need of replacement to the point where they'll probably have issues if any of that sticks.

:mad:

We have a good cold front coming in, but we'll be back in the 80s soon enough. We haven't seen much below 70 this fall except for a random overnight temp of 55-60; next week will be pure bliss.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I want it to get solidly in the 40F range so I can finally justify using these winter tires I paid too much for.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Minto Took posted:

I want it to get solidly in the 40F range so I can finally justify using these winter tires I paid too much for.

40F is tshirt weather here still.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Minto Took posted:

It usually feels dumb but that one time someone does the I have awd/a truck/my Subaru thing in front of you and you have enough grip to not get entangled in their bullshit you'll feel super smart and buy another set when they dry rot.

Also when you get to a hill and there are a bunch of cars at the bottom and a leaderboard of tire tracks going halfway up.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

honda whisperer posted:

It usually feels dumb but that one time someone does the I have awd/a truck/my Subaru thing in front of you and you have enough grip to not get entangled in their bullshit you'll feel super smart and buy another set when they dry rot.

Also when you get to a hill and there are a bunch of cars at the bottom and a leaderboard of tire tracks going halfway up.

Someone once said "I'd rather buy a set of tires for a grand than pay out an insurance deductible" and I hold that as gospel.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Now that I don't drive to work anymore (and i'm not going back to the office full time when this is over), my tires are probably going to rot before I use them up :/

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Yeah, I'm basically operating from the assumption that I'm buying new tires and likely new batteries when this is over.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

New pads, rotors and fluid all around. First time working on cars in a while. It was fun, for the first hour or so. Then got into :effort: territory. Getting too old to enjoy the sore hands the next few days anymore. :corsair:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Got the front Tanabe Sustec coilovers installed on the Del Sol then quit in rage and frustration when I broke the rear lower shock bolt (not so terrible) and realized that the rear struts are wrong. They’re supposed to have tab mounts to go around the LCA but they don’t...I’ll order new aluminum LCA’s and new coils for the rear as well. I don’t really like mismatched front and rear but I’ll be hosed if I have the patience to re-do the fronts again.

Here are the coilovers with the wrong rear shocks...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Welded in the new OEM headlight / fender support last night, first time I've welded anything other than running some beads on flat stock so it is pretty lovely looking and not perfect. It'll do though.

Figured out I can order OEM sheetmetal through Mazda Motorsports for a lot cheaper than I've found online, so I'll be ordering:
NB2 front bumper
NB2 right quarter panel
NB2 trunk drip rails, both sides
NB2 left quarter panel

I'll be paying a local shop to do the quarter work though, I am certainly not interested in that level of fuckery versus labor cost.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 24, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yeah, the Mazda Competition program is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, the Mazda Competition program is awesome.

For real, Honda HPD is very meh in comparison.