Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Maybe Terok is Cardassian for Deep Space and Nor is Cardassian for 9

Ter is space
Terok is deep space
Then you keep adding oks

Terokokokok Norteen

A bit okward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
terok nor is cardassian for “i banged your mom”

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

terok nor is cardassian for “i banged your mom”

Goddammit, Dukat. Why would you say that?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

This has made me realize, outside of a few incidental words, we don't get really any spoken Cardassian on screen unless I'm forgetting something.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I feel like DS9 wasn't big on alien languages in general, except for Klingon because that just seems like a thing they feel they always have to do with Klingons.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
There’s loads of bajoran crap too. Gotta align your pahs with your djarras

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

skasion posted:

There’s loads of bajoran crap too. Gotta align your pahs with your djarras

My favorite Promenade restaurant is Sbarro's

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

Like a lot of TNG I think it is a little more dated than we usually like to admit. It's a solid episode with some great speeches, but if you're used to prestige TV where things don't always go back to normal at the end of the episode, it's a little anticlimactic.

I don't even expect continuity, it just seemed when the trials should have started getting juicy and Picard comes under the spotlight himself it just skips to the end and Sadie implodes from a 30 second inspiration speech for dad once gave. It's still a pretty good episode and I respect the show for going for it but by the time it ended I was thought 'oh, that's it?'

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Drumhead is very timely and not dated. It’s just primarily a ‘courtroom drama’ episode so if you don’t like those you may not like it

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Drumhead is very timely and not dated. It’s just primarily a ‘courtroom drama’ episode so if you don’t like those you may not like it

No, I wanted *more* courtroom drama! Picard should have been eating poo poo and wilting under Sadie's showtrial before they find a way to reverse things back on her rather than just ending the episode almost immediately after he takes the stand!

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The thing in the RLM video where they come to the epiphany that the Darmok aliens speak entirely in memes both blew me away and made me depressed because I realized I've met people in real life who talk exactly like the Darmok aliens. "Voldemort! His Horcrux Broken!" "Doctor Who! His Backstory Ruined!". Darmok wasn't fiction it was a documentary.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

In the future, conflicts are resolved IMMEDIATELY, via RHETORIC

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

multijoe posted:

I don't even expect continuity, it just seemed when the trials should have started getting juicy and Picard comes under the spotlight himself it just skips to the end and Sadie implodes from a 30 second inspiration speech for dad once gave. It's still a pretty good episode and I respect the show for going for it but by the time it ended I was thought 'oh, that's it?'

Well I don't mean continuity exactly, I just mean the general compulsion to really revert hard to the status quo by the end of the episode. When you have those constraints, and write each episode more or less in a vacuum, it limits how deep you can go. You have to introduce and tear down this character, and all of the implications they represent, in 40 minutes. It's a great episode, but it's easy to see how it could've been more.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

galagazombie posted:

The thing in the RLM video where they come to the epiphany that the Darmok aliens speak entirely in memes both blew me away and made me depressed because I realized I've met people in real life who talk exactly like the Darmok aliens. "Voldemort! His Horcrux Broken!" "Doctor Who! His Backstory Ruined!". Darmok wasn't fiction it was a documentary.

Language has had idioms, metaphors, and similes forever. Memes are really just another form of visual metaphor.

Think of how much language doesn't make sense from the literal words. For example, what would "my cross to bear" mean to anyone that doesn't have a passing familiarity of Christianity.

Darmok takes it to more literal extreme, but it's never been all that fictional.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I feel like DS9 wasn't big on alien languages in general, except for Klingon because that just seems like a thing they feel they always have to do with Klingons.

The Breen stick to their language when they come into the show.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It also helped that they had a fully fledged Klingon language, syntax and all, courtesy of Marc Okrand by 1982-83.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

multijoe posted:

No, I wanted *more* courtroom drama! Picard should have been eating poo poo and wilting under Sadie's showtrial before they find a way to reverse things back on her rather than just ending the episode almost immediately after he takes the stand!

One of the federations most decorated officers was never going to wilt to a witch hunter.
He didn't drag her down before he was in the spotlight because he was trying to keep others on side, avoid a split down the middle of his ship.

When she put him under trial and started questioning him about the Borg, that's when he realised she was never under any hope of redemption, and just goes "gently caress it"

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I liked that bit in...I think Statistical Probabilities that showed Weyoun speaking his native language.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Maybe Terok is Cardassian for Deep Space and Nor is Cardassian for 9

Is Empok Cardassian for Sixty?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

bull3964 posted:

Language has had idioms, metaphors, and similes forever. Memes are really just another form of visual metaphor.

Think of how much language doesn't make sense from the literal words. For example, what would "my cross to bear" mean to anyone that doesn't have a passing familiarity of Christianity.

Darmok takes it to more literal extreme, but it's never been all that fictional.

I know what an idiom is. But the Darmok guys talk in nothing [i]but[/] idioms. Like imagine a language that could only communicate in Bible verses.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

galagazombie posted:

I know what an idiom is. But the Darmok guys talk in nothing [i]but[/] idioms. Like imagine a language that could only communicate in Bible verses.

English is like 90% horse-related, not too much of a stretch.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

FlamingLiberal posted:

its fine, its just 20 minutes too short. the ending fizzles out really badly

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don't think it needed to be longer. They establish that Satie is just going on and on with interviewing Enterprise crew and creating this conspiracy, and gets Worf to believe in it, and Picard shuts that poo poo down (as he should). His whole speech at the end with Worf is just a perfect cap on the episode.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

My favorite Promenade restaurant is Sbarro's

DS9's Sbarro, just like all real life Sbarros, was also somehow built in the 1980s and was never updated whatsoever. It was there before Terok Nor was, just kinda floating in Bajoran space.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

curiousTerminal posted:

DS9's Sbarro, just like all real life Sbarros, was also somehow built in the 1980s and was never updated whatsoever. It was there before Terok Nor was, just kinda floating in Bajoran space.

Sbarro is not built. It exists in a state of quantum flux, awaiting a shopping mall to be built or designated so that the waveform can collapse and it may manifest.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The tragedy when a Sbarro and a Famous Wok try to manifest simultaneously, either destroying everything in the sector, or creating delicious lo mein pizza

that destroys the sector

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's a very optimistic idea for a fascist witch hunt to be totally shut down with one noble speech and one slipup, and not require some more elaborate disassembly of her power. As if nobody else was eagerly complicit with railroading the quarter-Romulan.

It's a very "fascism couldn't happen here" perspective, which I guess fits if the Federation is so perfect, but these days it seems underwhelming. Probably also seems weak for the days of McCarthyism. It's very 1991.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's a very optimistic idea for a fascist witch hunt to be totally shut down with one noble speech and one slipup, and not require some more elaborate disassembly of her power. As if nobody else was eagerly complicit with railroading the quarter-Romulan.

It's a very "fascism couldn't happen here" perspective, which I guess fits if the Federation is so perfect, but these days it seems underwhelming. Probably also seems weak for the days of McCarthyism. It's very 1991.

The actual McCarthy did pretty much get shut down in the end exactly like a TNG villain, though. “Have you no sense of decency, sir?”

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
He also ran through and destroyed a ton of careers.

It was less a big speech and more people just got tired of it

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
DS9 "Second Sight" is a bad episode, but there is one good scene which also has a lot of headcanon potential. Jake tells Ben about a dream he had where he was running around the station looking for him and couldn't find him. It's a solid moment of relationship-building, but I also couldn't help thinking of it as somehow being connected to "The Visitor" and/or a vision from The Prophets. Since time travel is no object, and all. I mean, I guess this is the kind of stuff you have to think about when the rest of the episode is such a nothing.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i liked the terraformer guy a lot in that episode even if the rest was nothing

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

Sir Lemming posted:

DS9 "Second Sight" is a bad episode

oh forgot about this clunker. Of all the captains; Sisco is the less flirty one. His wife is dead, he has a son and a space station; no time to chase tail. I do find it hilarious when he just rolls with sleeping with mirror universe Jadzia. He is also the only main character to then find someone, marry them, and start to have children.

I watched TOS "the conscience of the king" and I find it so hilarious that Kirk is told there is a mass murder pretending to be an actor in the cold open, later invited to a cocktail party to meet the person face to face, and runs into the actor's hot daughter; pickers her up and dips out. This is one of those scenes where Kirk's sexuality and how he is written is put on full display. I couldn't help add a Zap Brannigan line during "what are little girls made of?" when Kirk wakes up and realizes his robo-clone is gone and he is left with the female-robo. "time to overcome this obstacle, with my sexuality"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Brawnfire posted:

The tragedy when a Sbarro and a Famous Wok try to manifest simultaneously, either destroying everything in the sector, or creating delicious lo mein pizza

that destroys the sector

Also explodes all supplies of Dilithium :dukedog:

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

God, there is some prime avatar real estate in that picture.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I wonder what relations are like with the Dominion post DS9.

The wormhole is still there, but can you fly through or is there a giant dominon space fortress on the other side?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'd imagine there's been a Dominon Space Fortress on the other end since they blew up the relay, either way.

(It wasn't actually in Dominion space at the start of the show but I'd bet they annexed it pretty quick)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I can’t remember if I’m mixing the DS9 finale and the STO mission arc, but I vaguely recall something about the Female Changeling agreeing to be held in Federation custody for a while as part of the truce that ended the war.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I can’t remember if I’m mixing the DS9 finale and the STO mission arc, but I vaguely recall something about the Female Changeling agreeing to be held in Federation custody for a while as part of the truce that ended the war.

Yeah, that was part of the deal. She'd stand trial for war crimes as the individual who ordered the razing of Cardassia, the dominion would withdraw everyone else from the alpha quadrant, and Odo would return to the great link.

I'd imagine from there the wormhole was basically considered closed off until the hoped-for point that Odo would got back in contact and signal they'd be open to a diplomatic relationship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Did anyone ever give a technobabble explanation as to why Rom's self replicating mines weren't a clear violation of thermodynamics?