Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I actually have that set, and while it is very solidly built the oven rating on the pans is pretty bad. And I've started to have the skillets warp on me with really moderate use.

I went ahead and purchased the Sam's club set and I'm going to return the Costco set. Thankfully I kept the box and the receipts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
I'm thinking of wishing for a pasta machine for xmas.
I'm thinking smallish.
Does anybody have experience with the kitchenaid attachment.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

vuk83 posted:

I'm thinking smallish.

I use it and like it quite a bit. But rather than get the pasta roller 3 piece attachment with the roller and noodles cutters, get just the roller and make spaghetti with the extruder attachment instead.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Nitrousoxide posted:

I actually have that set, and while it is very solidly built the oven rating on the pans is pretty bad. And I've started to have the skillets warp on me with really moderate use.

I went ahead and purchased the Sam's club set and I'm going to return the Costco set. Thankfully I kept the box and the receipts.

Thanks for this review, because I was really considering buying the Kirkland pans. My parents had a set of Kirkland stainless steel (probably tri ply) pans they bought years ago with a super heavy bottom that performed pretty well, and I was disappointed to find out they had been discontinued. I was hoping Kirkland's new set would be good also. Please post an update on the Sam's Club set when you get it!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

It's a real shame because the Costco set really does look very nice and it does feel extremely solid I just don't know why it has such a poor oven safe rating.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

vuk83 posted:

I'm thinking smallish.

My take on this is that if you're doing flat/sheet pastas including the normal linguini, spaghetti, etc you might as well just use a hand crank roller because the cost difference is huge, the attachments are quite expensive and does the job not at all better than a hand roller. I certainly also like to feel the dough in the roller as I use it. I think you'd be happy either way but a $40-60 hand roller that clamps to your countertop is really all you need IMO if you're not wanting to roll out your pasta by hand.

If you want to do the tubular or spiral pastas (rigatoni, bucatini, macaroni, etc) then you basically need an extruder anyways so might as well use the kitchenaid attachment. I actually have it, used it a few times and just kinda stopped using it because I like the flat pastas just fine. Maybe I should make an SA-Mart thread for it if anyone is interested (it's this one).

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Le creuset stuff is pretty heavily discounted on Amazon right now.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

I believe Tramontia is the runner up for American Test Kitchen's pick for pretty much all their all clad type pots and pans, so if you'd have to spend more than $200 to get the individual pieces you're interested in this is a great deal.

I have some copper bottom, clad Tramontina and some All-Clad pieces. The Tramontina is good unless you are side by side with the all clad and a lot cheaper.

One issue I have with Tramontina lids is that there is a void between the lid handle and the glass lid itself and it can fill with soapy water if you soak it. You might not even notice unless you turn the lid upside down and look, when you will see it full of nasty brown liquid.

I resolved it by poking some holes in the metal ring that serves as a seal. Yes, it now fills faster, but it also drains right out.

Glockamole
Feb 8, 2008

Quixzlizx posted:

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I just bought that 8" Victorinox Fibrox. My current knife set is Farberware, so I'm guessing this knife brand new is going to be a marked improvement over my 10 year old knives.

Other goons are probably right that you wouldn't want to learn to sharpen a very dull knife, but nevertheless I'll pitch that you might want to look into a steel or an idahone to maintain the sharp edge that your Victorinox will come with. Even a half dozen passes every couple uses will really help prolong the edge. For me, it's enough that I don't remember the last time I needed to put any of my kitchen knives to the stones. Or if you go for a setup like an Edge Pro or Lansky or Sharpmaker or pull through or whatever, I'd encourage you to incorporate edge maintenance into your routine. A sharp knife is safer than a dull one, and I just think it makes the process of cooking more pleasant.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I follow the tried and true method of "use a knife until I notice it's not as sharp as it was, ditch it for one of my other sharp knives instead, rinse and repeat until I'm out of knives and then sharpen them all at once"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Empty Sandwich posted:

if you've still got it, I'm interested. shoot me a missive at sandwichempty at gmail? (I lost my PMs in the Great War)

Got a PM ahead of this, but if they balk at the shipping (unlikely), I'll reach out to you!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

vuk83 posted:

I'm thinking smallish.
I don't have the KitchenAid, but I have a Marcato Atlas and I'm extremely satisfied with it. Since the start of the pandemic I've been using it a couple times a week on average, some for pasta but even more for other kinds of noodles (chow fun, ramen, and so on), and I wouldn't particularly want a motorised machine just because I rely so much on the feel of the dough to decide when it's done.

Not trying to talk you out of getting the KitchenAid, just throwing that out there.

Steve Yun posted:

Pull through sharpeners are my go to advice for most folks because most people will never invest in a sharpener over $20 and if they have to use anything more complicated than a pull through, they will never sharpen their knives at all
Maybe. I kinda feel like knives are more or less the single most important tool you have in the kitchen and maintaining them is a core, basic kitchen skill. So I always find it a little odd that there's a cultural acceptance of just sorta throwing up your hands and saying gently caress it on knife maintenance.

I wonder how much damage Alton fuckin' Brown did by doing that show where he emphatically tells everyone to never, ever sharpen your own knives. Sharpening poo poo is a skill mastered by our primitive ape-like ancestors millions of years ago. It's literally the oldest known technology, predating cooking by over a million years. If Homo habilis can figure out how to sharpen a rock with literally no other technology and a brain half the size of yours, literally every single person reading poo poo on the internet can handle it.

I'm not saying this to try to browbeat people into sharpening their own knives (although it might sound like it). I'm just pushing back on the idea that actively discouraging people from even trying is the smart choice or best advice or whatever. People come here to learn poo poo. Seems silly to actively discourage developing skills.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

SubG posted:

Maybe. I kinda feel like knives are more or less the single most important tool you have in the kitchen and maintaining them is a core, basic kitchen skill. So I always find it a little odd that there's a cultural acceptance of just sorta throwing up your hands and saying gently caress it on knife maintenance.

It's one of those topics that's almost impossible to learn on your own these days due to people being torso-deep up their own rear end about it. People throw up their hands and say gently caress it because there is no place on the internet or in a book that says "these are the exact bare minimum materials you need and here is the exact technique a real person with a real schedule can do".

It's like coffee. There is always someone saying everything else is poo poo, no I will not say what the good version is, go educate yourself.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I think with Coffee there are idiots out there but there are a bunch of people who will list out which improvements to make in what order to increase quality. It's just that there are a lot of ways to make a better cup of coffee with additional effort.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Manager Hoyden posted:

It's one of those topics that's almost impossible to learn on your own these days due to people being torso-deep up their own rear end about it. People throw up their hands and say gently caress it because there is no place on the internet or in a book that says "these are the exact bare minimum materials you need and here is the exact technique a real person with a real schedule can do".

It's like coffee. There is always someone saying everything else is poo poo, no I will not say what the good version is, go educate yourself.

This pretty much. I sharpen my knives with a steel and its good enough for my purposes. I don't have time in my life for all the 'Well if you're not even using 2 different grits of whetstone is your knife even sharp?'

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

My take on this is that if you're doing flat/sheet pastas including the normal linguini, spaghetti, etc you might as well just use a hand crank roller because the cost difference is huge, the attachments are quite expensive and does the job not at all better than a hand roller. I certainly also like to feel the dough in the roller as I use it. I think you'd be happy either way but a $40-60 hand roller that clamps to your countertop is really all you need IMO if you're not wanting to roll out your pasta by hand.

If you want to do the tubular or spiral pastas (rigatoni, bucatini, macaroni, etc) then you basically need an extruder anyways so might as well use the kitchenaid attachment. I actually have it, used it a few times and just kinda stopped using it because I like the flat pastas just fine. Maybe I should make an SA-Mart thread for it if anyone is interested (it's this one).

Any good recommendations for a hand crank roller. I am a scandigoon, if that does any difference

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

vuk83 posted:

Any good recommendations for a hand crank roller. I am a scandigoon, if that does any difference
Marcato Atlas.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Quixzlizx posted:

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I just bought that 8" Victorinox Fibrox. My current knife set is Farberware, so I'm guessing this knife brand new is going to be a marked improvement over my 10 year old knives.

Holy poo poo are you a time traveling 28 year old me? That lovely farberware crap sucks! (keep the bread knife though probably). Anyway you're gonna love the new knife. You'll learn pretty quickly the most dangerous tool in the kitchen is a dull knife. Personally I've advanced to that dad who obsessively sharpens his knives all the time so there is middle ground.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Aramoro posted:

This pretty much. I sharpen my knives with a steel and its good enough for my purposes. I don't have time in my life for all the 'Well if you're not even using 2 different grits of whetstone is your knife even sharp?'

sounds like you aren't sharpening your knife

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Aramoro posted:

A steel doesn't sharpen knives, it hones them :ssh:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

barkbell posted:

sounds like you aren't sharpening your knife

This is why I recommend pull-through sharpeners for most of my friends lol

edit: and this VVVVV

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 20, 2020

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

xtal posted:

A steel doesn't sharpen knives, it hones them :ssh:

A difference relevant to knife sharpening nerds.

Ironically perhaps I do sharpen my chisels on a whetstone, but I can't remember the last time I sharpened a knife.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

This is why I recommend pull-through sharpeners for most of my friends lol

edit: and this VVVVV

Yeah, like I know what a steel is and I know what honing is and I still don't give a poo poo about properly sharpening a knife on a whetstone. A well reviewed pull-through sharpener it is perfectly fine. It will keep the knife safe to use for years without having to gain any competence in sharpening technique.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
not a knife sharpening snob at all but I really like my worksharp Ken onion. definitely gets a great edge with minimal fuss.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Tell me about refrigerator shopping

Is used a reliable bargain

What brands to get or avoid

Are warranties worth it

Are refurb shops reliable

I’m looking at this thing

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/frigidaire-25-6-cu-ft-side-by-side-refrigerator-pearl/5889842.p?skuId=5889842

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 21, 2020

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Couple of years ago we got a new Bosch fridge that's really great actually. The various zones in the fridge hold thier temp well.

It is a UK sized fridge though, but I'm sure they must make an American sized one.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Aramoro posted:

A difference relevant to knife sharpening nerds.

Ironically perhaps I do sharpen my chisels on a whetstone, but I can't remember the last time I sharpened a knife.

:psyduck:

I think anyone can do what they need to do with a 1k King stone. The first sharpening will take forever if the knives are real dull though.

But my god, you even know that sharp tools are necessary.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Relevant pic, even if the angles are sorta exaggerated:

Using a steel will buy you some extra time before you gotta sharpen. If you rub your hand along your steel, the black stuff that comes off your finger is your old, rolled knife edge. If you I work in a metal shop where we service our own tools and have all the stones, strops, rouges and poo poo I'll ever need so I'm spoiled. A plastic angle guide, a 1-2k stone will get you far without getting too spendy. poo poo, that's good enough for metal that's gonna be cutting through metal, I'm sure it's good enough for the kitchen.

Like Fart Car said, I also have 2 or 3 go-to knives and switch em out until they're all dull, then sharpen em. It doesn't take long at all. Put on an episode of whatever background show, fall into a trance as you count your strokes, and enjoy your knives again because you don't have to lean on them with all your body weight to cut through the skin of a bell pepper.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 21, 2020

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Which plastic angle guides do you use? I’ve been doing it freehand but the guide would make it go a lot faster

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
What's a good reliable vacuum sealer? I just returned my $99 costco deal foodsaver because it stopped fully vacuuming after 1.5 months. It would take about 15 tries to fully vacuum a brand new bag with a spoon in it (recommended by foodsaver for troubleshooting).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

1redflag posted:

Which plastic angle guides do you use? I’ve been doing it freehand but the guide would make it go a lot faster

If you have (or are) a friend with a 3D printer, you can find 15/18/whatever-degree wedges on Thingiverse that print in no time. I use one on my stone to just let me easily reset back to 15 on each stroke (not that I think I hold it perfectly steady yet).

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I use this sharpener, which has a base for setting the angle on the stones. All you do is draw the knife through straight up and down. I put on a show and do all my knives once one of them starts feeling a bit dull.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

I bought a cheap plastic dish drying thingy with integrated drip board when I moved into this condo a year and a half ago, and the drip board has gotten gross enough that I think it’s time for an upgrade.

It seems like those wood ones that form an X are popular
I didn’t find one of these on sale during Prime Day but as a general question, are the wood racks a bad idea? I ask because it seems like having regularly damp wood on your kitchen counter seems not ideal.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Thermapen Mk 4 is on sale for less than $75 as part of their early Black Friday sale or whatever. Excellent price for an irreplaceable kitchen tool.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Josh Lyman posted:

I didn’t find one of these on sale during Prime Day but as a general question, are the wood racks a bad idea? I ask because it seems like having regularly damp wood on your kitchen counter seems not ideal.

I had one for years and it was fine. I suspect they're made with being damp in mind, and they seemed to dry out pretty quickly. If you submerged them I guess you might have a problem.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

I had one for years and it was fine. I suspect they're made with being damp in mind, and they seemed to dry out pretty quickly. If you submerged them I guess you might have a problem.

Even then not really. I accidentally dipped a carbon knife in a saya and left it overnight in a cup of water. The steel didn't even show a sign of rust; it takes a while for wood to waterlog

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Steve Yun posted:

Tell me about refrigerator shopping

Is used a reliable bargain

What brands to get or avoid

Are warranties worth it

Are refurb shops reliable

I’m looking at this thing

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/frigidaire-25-6-cu-ft-side-by-side-refrigerator-pearl/5889842.p?skuId=5889842

All refrigerator brands break, so look into what it takes to repair it. Some like a Frigidaire are easy to fix and parts are cheap and common. Others like Samsung or LG may be impossible to repair, or it may take days or even weeks to get an authorized repairman; for those you absolutely want the extended warranty.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Ok ended up with a used side by side Frigidaire

It has occurred to me that side by side fridges seem to use their space less efficiently than top freezer or french door fridges. My old top freezer was 20 sqft, but when I put its contents in my new 26 sqft side by side fridge it gets full too

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Gonna be a bit of a bear of a post here so please skip if you're not interested in cooking sets.

Got the Sam's Club Tramontina 14 piece set in. First impressions are that it is SIGNIFICANTLY LIGHTER and better balanced than the Costco set. Although it's only ~20% lighter on average, it feels like more of the weight is in the handle so they all move around MUCH easier. Even if I compare the 12" Tramontina and 10" Costco skillets, which are about the same weight, the former is much easer to manipulate. The Costco sets were hard to lift even empty, so this is a big improvement.

Having only had the set for an hour I can't speak to durability but even though lighter, the Tramontina still feels solidly built. No noticeable flex so far. Haven't cooked with them to see if any warping yet. Will report back if I get that as I use them.

See below for photo comparisons.

Costco set pieces where there are direct analogs to the Tramontina set to compare weights, Costco is always first, then Tramontina second:

Steamer and Saucepan - no Costco equivilent

Physical size comperison of skillets:
10" Costco on right

12" Costco on left

Overall set together

Care instructions

Definetely recommend over the costco set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

wormil posted:

All refrigerator brands break, so look into what it takes to repair it. Some like a Frigidaire are easy to fix and parts are cheap and common. Others like Samsung or LG may be impossible to repair, or it may take days or even weeks to get an authorized repairman; for those you absolutely want the extended warranty.

I'd suggest not getting a warranty for a cheaper fridge... I had a parade of barely trained people keep putting the wrong part in mine, which kept failing. I finally had a career electrician come out for something else, and he told me what the problem was, so I was able to have them fix it correctly the last time (even though they disagreed). I'd rather have paid the first time.