Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
the liloposter in question was also just one of those alt-lite reactionary toadies and had been for a long time, it wasn't an isolated incident

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

JordanKai posted:

I might be mixing two things up here, but didn't the person who started that conversation have a tier on their Patreon which allowed the Patron to name any topic and they would start Discourse about it?

If so, I'm going to guess she wasn't talking in good faith. :ghost:

the idea of a patreon for discourse is some of the most loser poo poo ive ever heard of in my life

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

i’m pretty sure the discourse person was a different person, they just happened around the same time. discourse person was the one who said that height differences in relationships was pedophilia (probably because they were paid to).

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Forget about the people with the bad opinions about Lilo, let's talk about how Rise of the TMNT was hosed over by Nickelodeon, got axed halfway through production of Season 2, and still managed to glue together a coherent finale.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I don't really know how to ask this without it coming off as me trying to start poo poo so I'm just going to ask this question and please keep in mind that this isn't me trying to set up some kind of "gotcha" or trolling or anything like that, I'm just looking for honest opinions and answers here.

What do people see in h bomb, why do they like his content, what is it about his content and output that got him in contact with major progressive political leaders?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

He's funny and explains political concepts in plain language. Same reason that historians you've ever heard of are whose with an entertaining voice in their writing and who make it accessible, and not those who breaking new research ground. Specifically thinking of Dan Carlin with Hardcore History and Mike Duncan with History of Rome. Neither of whom are really academics just guys making podcasts of primary and secondary sources we've had for centuries.

Or if you want specifically leftist comparisons. He's got the same appeal as the Chapos but less immediately abrasive.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

He's occassionally screamingly funny and the reason he got this close to American government representatives is just by being fairly good at networking and making friends with people who just happen to know AOC.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Its still blows my mind how far he's got since his Metokur days.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I know the concept is older than dirt at this point, but I enjoyed this Terminal Montage take on the gritty photon aerospace control fella

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR2dlAnP0-I&hd=1

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

SteelMentor posted:

If we're still doing video suggestions:

The Sphere Hunter- Focuses on Survival Horror games, especially Resident Evil. But also spotlights lesser known games like the Parasite Eve series or Haunting Grounds.

:doh: Can't believe I forgot about her. She managed to also get interviews with some of the VAs from the RE2 and 3 Remakes and did playthroughs with them. Great channel that doesn't get enough love.

YggiDee posted:

Forget about the people with the bad opinions about Lilo, let's talk about how Rise of the TMNT was hosed over by Nickelodeon, got axed halfway through production of Season 2, and still managed to glue together a coherent finale.

I would love to hear about this, actually. Rise was a show that I just glossed over (don't watch TV, not a huge TMNT fan), but seeing how great some of the animation is makes me want to give it a watch one of these days

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

FirstAidKite posted:

I don't really know how to ask this without it coming off as me trying to start poo poo so I'm just going to ask this question and please keep in mind that this isn't me trying to set up some kind of "gotcha" or trolling or anything like that, I'm just looking for honest opinions and answers here.

What do people see in h bomb, why do they like his content, what is it about his content and output that got him in contact with major progressive political leaders?
As others have noted, Hbomb's content is a great deep dive into various political concepts and media with both clear and concise presentation with an element of the absurd.

A great example of his work is his video on speedrunning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5auJOBC828
The stream he mentions at the end of that video is what actually put him in contact with AOC. He decided to dedicate his stream to Mermaids, a British charity that helps children with gender dysphoria, after noted transphobic fuckwit Graham Lineham lobbied to get its National Lottery funding suspended. It went on for several days, and became a big thing, raising I want to say half of what the lottery funding would have been and also provided a platform for trans people to share their experiences over the course of the stream. I think the National Lottery actually turned around and actually gave Mermaids the money they had suspended, too. That's were AOC came on to discuss the N64, Trans Rights, and Hbomb asked her how to beat Beaver Bother.

Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-w-pdqwiBw

Terrible Opinions posted:

He's funny and explains political concepts in plain language. Same reason that historians you've ever heard of are whose with an entertaining voice in their writing and who make it accessible, and not those who breaking new research ground. Specifically thinking of Dan Carlin with Hardcore History and Mike Duncan with History of Rome. Neither of whom are really academics just guys making podcasts of primary and secondary sources we've had for centuries.

Or if you want specifically leftist comparisons. He's got the same appeal as the Chapos but less immediately abrasive.
I feel that Mike Duncan legitimately counts as an academic at this point, considering he's a published historian with a degree and everything. I think he quoted from his dissertation on one of his Revolutions episodes on the Mexican Revolution, for instance. It's just his medium and delivery is much better suited to laypeople.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

I feel that Mike Duncan legitimately counts as an academic at this point, considering he's a published historian with a degree and everything. I think he quoted from his dissertation on one of his Revolutions episodes on the Mexican Revolution, for instance. It's just his medium and delivery is much better suited to laypeople.
That's fair, but he did transition from being a hobbyist and was one of the bigger podcasts around before really completing the transition to academic.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I appreciate the answers, thank you.

I was curious because I have personal grievances with him so anytime I see anything about how he's doing, to me he's that guy I don't like rather than that internet reviewer person so I wanted to know what people were actually enjoying about the content he produces.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I remember him first being a bad poster in this very thread, and when he started making videos it was weird. Though I'm willing to believe someone can be a bad poster and good at other things. After all with posts as bad at mine, I have to.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I've never found him even remotely funny and I disagree with his media criticisms more often than not, but his charity work is cool.

Also thanks to whoever it was who linked Jarvis Johnson in this thread. I've been binging through his reactions to those awful animated story videos and other content-farm garbage and it's a wild ride.

And something else I've been binging through lately are Pointless Peasant's DS3 invasion videos. I don't normally watch a lot of LPs or gaming streams but the computer voice he uses to narrate makes just about anything it says sound amusing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

YggiDee posted:

Wow. Any idea what happened? Did the exec backing it leave or something?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Dawgstar posted:

Wow. Any idea what happened? Did the exec backing it leave or something?

Basically that. In late 2018 Brian Robbins took over as the Nickelodeon CEO, and (assuming the ROTTMNT writers aren't lying) he went on to kill the show. Moves it to Nicktoons, airs it late at night when the kids are sleeping, cancels the toyline, doesn't advertise it, complains about low ratings after it gets moved to Nicktoons, cancels it halfway through s2 after promising a full season, and then doesn't even advertise the finale as a finale.

I'm told Glitch Techs met a similar fate but I don't know anything about that show.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

FirstAidKite posted:

what is it about his content and output that got him in contact with major progressive political leaders?

This was very specifically his marathon Donkey Kong 64 stream to raise funds for Mermaids, the UK transgender youth charity.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Anyone know much about EmpLemon? He has many videos taking deep dives into various topics which are very interesting, but he also has a kind of air about him where it wouldn't surprise me if he's a chud, or at the very least kind of an rear end in a top hat

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

YeahTubaMike posted:

* Mysterious Mr. Enter has a lot of interesting insights on animation, good and bad. That said, once I realized that he makes at least one "this might be the worst [thing] I've ever seen in my life" statement per Animated Atrocities video, it kind of ruined it for me. NEVER MIND.
Alpha Jay does Mr. Enter's shtick better and is way less obtuse and I doubt that he's a chud.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtTSI-Em3f7ASC39wMOKXRA

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I haven't even given the time of day to Mr Enter in years but him being chud wouldn't be all that surprising to me, a lot of his content came across as reactionary as gently caress and it only seemed to get worse over time.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Bakeneko posted:

I've never found him even remotely funny and I disagree with his media criticisms more often than not, but his charity work is cool.

I like his media criticism and agree with his political thoughts but yeah, I don't find the attempted humor in his videos very funny at all

British man busting through a wall (sometimes naked) and screaming at me just doesn't do it

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

YggiDee posted:

Basically that. In late 2018 Brian Robbins took over as the Nickelodeon CEO, and (assuming the ROTTMNT writers aren't lying) he went on to kill the show. Moves it to Nicktoons, airs it late at night when the kids are sleeping, cancels the toyline, doesn't advertise it, complains about low ratings after it gets moved to Nicktoons, cancels it halfway through s2 after promising a full season, and then doesn't even advertise the finale as a finale.

I'm told Glitch Techs met a similar fate but I don't know anything about that show.
Ah so what they did to really kill Legend of Korra

Monstrum on George Romero and his impact on the myth of the zombie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sC_5SsMI8A

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CodfishCartographer posted:

Anyone know much about EmpLemon? He has many videos taking deep dives into various topics which are very interesting, but he also has a kind of air about him where it wouldn't surprise me if he's a chud, or at the very least kind of an rear end in a top hat

Yeah he's a chud.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah he's a chud.

I was right about to say yeah. I don't remember any specifics but I know he's an rear end in a top hat. I remember Quinton Reviews calling him out over some reactionary garbage EL was spouting.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sen8Tn8CBA4
internet personalities thread dot mp4

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jamie Faith posted:

I was right about to say yeah. I don't remember any specifics but I know he's an rear end in a top hat. I remember Quinton Reviews calling him out over some reactionary garbage EL was spouting.

He also tried to sic a Twitter hate mob on Dan Olson over some otherwise completely innocuous video that made him mad for some reason.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019
If you don't use your clout to organize targeted harassment against a complete innocent person are you even really using Twitter?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Yeah uh between Trump, the 4chan memes in the thumbnails, and some of these video titles, there's easily like a dozen CHUD dogwhistles here. Not exactly hiding it.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Allison Pregler takes a look at a celebrity ghostshow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GxA7ou3WDs

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Sydin posted:

Yeah uh between Trump, the 4chan memes in the thumbnails, and some of these video titles, there's easily like a dozen CHUD dogwhistles here. Not exactly hiding it.

I really like how trump is the thing that sticks out as weird in the splash image line up to you.

"Washington Lenin Hitler Mao Kennedy Trump then me that's the throughline."

"Wowowoah! TRUMP? Clearly somethings weird here."

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Obviously should have been Reagan.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

what sticks out to me most in that screengrab is a video about a Melee player

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

Obviously should have been Reagan.

Reagan is for Old People now, all the hip young dapper Nazi kids are all about that TRUMO

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

JordanKai posted:

I might be mixing two things up here, but didn't the person who started that conversation have a tier on their Patreon which allowed the Patron to name any topic and they would start Discourse about it?

If so, I'm going to guess she wasn't talking in good faith. :ghost:

that was the "Himbo is ableist" discourse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY1n1J7BweY

The cheeseman makes Creme Fraiche.

LibrarianCroaker fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 23, 2020

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I really like how trump is the thing that sticks out as weird in the splash image line up to you.

"Washington Lenin Hitler Mao Kennedy Trump then me that's the throughline."

"Wowowoah! TRUMP? Clearly somethings weird here."

I didn't say it was weird, I said it was a clue in that he's a CHUD. Most non-CHUD's don't exactly like slapping ol' Donny's face around on stuff, even for a joke. :shrug:

His banner being hosed up as a whole is a completely different can of works though, yes.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Sydin posted:

I feel real dumb cus I never actually even glanced at the header lmao.

What are some of the various dogwhistles aside from that? Though admittedly that one is super obvious. The titles / thumbnails definitely have memes in them, but none of them stuck out to me as 4chan or alt right ones.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CodfishCartographer posted:

I feel real dumb cus I never actually even glanced at the header lmao.

What are some of the various dogwhistles aside from that? Though admittedly that one is super obvious. The titles / thumbnails definitely have memes in them, but none of them stuck out to me as 4chan or alt right ones.

The big "this guy is probably a chud" red flags are all of his many videos screaming about YouTube itself and "censorship". Generally anyone on YouTube who is outsizedly obsessed with being censored or silenced by YouTube and has made multiple videos screaming about how silenced they are have a tendency to say and do a bunch of poo poo that most Normal People frown on and don't want to listen to, and they interpret that as censorship, despite getting six digits in views from Extremely Online people who are totally down to listen to how censored and silenced dudes like the guy in question are.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Todd In The Shadows covers an album by Liz Phair on Trainwreckords. It's not the one most people were asking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Alpharad with a short video of sage advice and a twist(or should I say spiral?) ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09iuuNRMqHA&hd=1