Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

This is a gross post.

This is a disgusting attitude, like ew. Do you even?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Eh.. it’s more Honda Ridgeline than Hummer I’m keeping my Cybertruck reservation.

I’m giggling at the hummer community response where it sorta falls in 3 camps... 1 that will buy it or the Cybertruck because it’ll be the next big thing for a bit...people who are fretting it’s not a real hummer ( this happened when the h2/h3 came out ) and the chuds who are in the “they’ll get my gas/diesel from my cold dead hands” camp.

Me? I’d like to for a electric conversion to my h1 when the time comes.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
So I tested an Electrify America charging station (Culver City area) yesterday in preparation for the Vegas trip, since almost all the free chargers along I15 are of that type. Glad I did.

Some observations:

1. Some of the stations were "unavailable" with nothing being charged, I assume they just go down on a regular basis (see Baker, CA status).

2. The app UI is crap. And I say that as someone who has run mobile app companies for over 15 years. Great, you've discovered I'm near a charger and you even give me a list of the ones where I am at. But as much as I tried getting the app to have the charger use my account, it was a total fail. This location was so messed up that they were charging up to 80% for free (about 50kw on my Niro).

3. The key is NOT to use the app. Instead using the EA Card in my Apple Wallet did work. Go to the charger, say you have an account, and hold the phone near the sensor thing. That allowed me to take it from 80% to 90%, the Kia limiting that to a 24kw rate. 5kwh for $1.55 (I opted for the monthly account).

Seriously, get normal humans to try this stuff and observe the issues ... fix and repeat. It isn't that hard.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Powershift posted:

Friendly reminder that we are just over an hour away from the Hummer EV reveal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjMhZKmHKGk

It's gonna be ugly as sin, but the 3 motor version is supposed to be 1000hp, so it'll be moving too fast to see it, so :shrug:

loving hell. GM is pretty serious about this thing.
4-wheel independent suspension - good for ground clearance, 4-wheel steering. Crab mode! Air suspension with a lift mode. Underbody crawling cameras.
It's not any uglier than any other modern pickup, really (not saying much...) and reminds me of an enclosed Halo Warthog.
Price is whoo-boy, but it is a pile of neat stuff.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Darchangel posted:

loving hell. GM is pretty serious about this thing.
4-wheel independent suspension - good for ground clearance, 4-wheel steering. Crab mode! Air suspension with a lift mode. Underbody crawling cameras.
It's not any uglier than any other modern pickup, really (not saying much...) and reminds me of an enclosed Halo Warthog.
Price is whoo-boy, but it is a pile of neat stuff.

I bet they sell a bunch of these. I didn't get the charging part (audio turned off), how fast does this charge?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

The main difference between the Hummer and the Cybertruck is the Hummer will actually get produced

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

MomJeans420 posted:

The main difference between the Hummer and the Model S Model X Model 3 Model Y Cybertruck is the Hummer will actually get produced

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

VideoGameVet posted:

I bet they sell a bunch of these. I didn't get the charging part (audio turned off), how fast does this charge?

According to https://www.caranddriver.com/gmc/hummer-ev

Car And Driver posted:

Range, Charging, and Battery Life
The Hummer EV uses GM's new Ultium battery-pack technology and boasts an estimated 350 miles of driving range per charge. The company also said that the Hummer will have an 800-volt electrical architecture with 350-kilowatt fast-charging capability which allows it to add 100 miles of range in just 10 minutes. For buyers who don't have any DC fast charging stations nearby, the Hummer EV will also be able to charge on regular public charging terminals or at home via a provided adapter, but charging times are significantly slower.

Westy543 posted:

Hoping this link with all the other trims works:

350 kW DCFC, 80-110 kWh battery.

But that shows that the 800v charging is only on the super-duped Edition 1, so far. They don't offer any other numbers.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

VideoGameVet posted:

Seriously, get normal humans to try this stuff and observe the issues ... fix and repeat. It isn't that hard.

I'm surprised EA doesn't do what Chargepoint does. I have Chargepoint in my iOS wallet, and simply tap my phone up to their chargers. Boom, done.

Edit:

Darchangel posted:

But that shows that the 800v charging is only on the super-duped Edition 1, so far. They don't offer any other numbers.

It's weird, their drivetrain is 400V but they can charge at 800V by switching half the pack from parallel to series momentarily. Kind of solves the issue where Taycan has to step down to 400V if they're not charging at 800V stations.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 21, 2020

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Big K of Justice posted:

...people who are fretting it’s not a real hummer ( this happened when the h2/h3 came out )

No portal axles, no Hummer.

:colbert:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

ilkhan posted:

The main difference between the Hummer and the Model S Model X Model 3 Model Y Cybertruck is the Hummer will actually get produced

I don't think people were doubting the SX3Y would get produced, just produced in the stated numbers. The Cybertruck as revealed will not get produced.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
That will be quite enough about the EV Hummer being a road menace. I've long been critical of the cliffs of metal that are SUV's now and even I'm being taken aback by the Hummer EV road murderer posts.

MomJeans420 posted:

I don't think people were doubting the SX3Y would get produced,

They were. I think a few of us could name a poster or two most strident about it too - thankfully they dont post here anymore.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Yeah tough to see how a Hummer would be less safe than like, a 'sclade.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Any strong opinions on the e-tron? Our local dealer has leftover 2019s heavily discounted.

How accurate is the 205 mile range?

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

C|net has a summary of upcoming EV trucks: GMC Hummer EV vs. Tesla Cybertruck, Bollinger and Rivian: Electric trucks compared.

Available stats and pricing are pretty limited, but it's still an interesting read.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

First model year trim ("Edition 1") of the Hummer EV has already sold out. :staredog:

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkM0L4_W_pM

Engineering Explained did an in depth look at the Hummer as well.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I'm surprised EA doesn't do what Chargepoint does. I have Chargepoint in my iOS wallet, and simply tap my phone up to their chargers. Boom, done.

They kinda do, but it's not as easy. Also Chargepoint (and EVGo) will send you cards that do the same thing as the phone wallet stuff.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

VideoGameVet posted:

They kinda do, but it's not as easy. Also Chargepoint (and EVGo) will send you cards that do the same thing as the phone wallet stuff.

...But if it’s on my phone I don’t need their fob, which is good, since I don’t carry keys to attach a fob to anyway.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Not needing a fob is awesome. Tapping my phone still isn’t as convenient as using a supercharger but it’s miles better than digging out a fob from my center console.

One day I’ll be able to charge my Energica as painless as my Tesla.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Jimong5 posted:

Three windshield wipers :lol:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MrLogan posted:

Any strong opinions on the e-tron? Our local dealer has leftover 2019s heavily discounted.

How accurate is the 205 mile range?

Fairly realistic I'd say, depends a lot on speed as it is a quite thirsty boy. Look up range tests on youtube.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Eat My Ghastly rear end posted:

Three windshield wipers :lol:

But is the windshield bullet proof?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Man imagine if they put all these battery tech and smart offroading stuff into something like a Jimny, that would be so much fun. But nope, had to be a Hummer.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Jimong5 posted:

It's actually somehow smaller than I thought it would be, when you see him standing next to it.

Shai-Hulud posted:

Man imagine if they put all these battery tech and smart offroading stuff into something like a Jimny, that would be so much fun. But nope, had to be a Hummer.

The fourth-gen Jimny is such a cute little mini-Bronco, ladder frame and rigid axles and all.

It's a shame about the high emissions though, they had to withdraw it from the EU market because it doesn't adhere to the new requirements. An electric version would be great.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

KozmoNaut posted:

It's actually somehow smaller than I thought it would be, when you see him standing next to it.

The fourth-gen Jimny is such a cute little mini-Bronco, ladder frame and rigid axles and all.

It's a shame about the high emissions though, they had to withdraw it from the EU market because it doesn't adhere to the new requirements. An electric version would be great.

Oh wow i had no idea they are no longer selling it in the EU. Its still proudly presented on the Suzuki Homepage and when you try to configure one it only tells you that the configurator ist undergoing "maintenance".

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

That will be quite enough about the EV Hummer being a road menace. I've long been critical of the cliffs of metal that are SUV's now and even I'm being taken aback by the Hummer EV road murderer posts.

And answering myself here but I have no real issue with discussing the safety of the various SUV sized EV's. While I and clearly others like holy poo poo WTF about the Hummer's tech, I got some concerns as well.

Just tone down hyperbole about death, destruction that all Hummer EV's will leave in their wake.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Shai-Hulud posted:

Oh wow i had no idea they are no longer selling it in the EU. Its still proudly presented on the Suzuki Homepage and when you try to configure one it only tells you that the configurator ist undergoing "maintenance".

I was a bit mistaken, I thought they had already stopped selling them. The new regulations are from 2021 onwards, at which point it will be pulled.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Shai-Hulud posted:

You would lose a fair bit of battery space because those things are tiny, but yeah, I wonder if Japan is going to allow for electric kei cars/trucks anytime soon. Hrm.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

It's weird, their drivetrain is 400V but they can charge at 800V by switching half the pack from parallel to series momentarily.

I wonder how they did that. Was wondering how they would justify one model at 800v and the rest not there, but that's a neat trick if true.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

harperdc posted:

You would lose a fair bit of battery space because those things are tiny, but yeah, I wonder if Japan is going to allow for electric kei cars/trucks anytime soon. Hrm.

Yeah sure but you'd loose at least a ton in weight too.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

harperdc posted:

They've had them since 2009, the Mitsubishi i-MiEV is a proper electric kei car.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

They've had them since 2009, the Mitsubishi i-MiEV is a proper electric kei car.

:doh: :doh: :doh: oh my god how did I forget about that one, of course. 16 kWh battery provided pretty decent range, and with newer batteries...yeah, I think we'll see more like that soon, beyond Honda's e.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Just tone down hyperbole about death, destruction that all Hummer EV's will leave in their wake.

It’s not hyperbole : https://www.ghsa.org/sites/default/files/2020-02/GHSA-Pedestrian-Spotlight-FINAL-rev2.pdf

Giving people these cars that are capable of that kind of acceleration is absolutely going to get people killed

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

And answering myself here but I have no real issue with discussing the safety of the various SUV sized EV's. While I and clearly others like holy poo poo WTF about the Hummer's tech, I got some concerns as well.

Which posts do you consider hyperbole?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

PIZZA.BAT posted:

It’s not hyperbole : https://www.ghsa.org/sites/default/files/2020-02/GHSA-Pedestrian-Spotlight-FINAL-rev2.pdf

Giving people these cars that are capable of that kind of acceleration is absolutely going to get people killed

0-60 in 3 seconds in a vehicle that is wider than a Raptor and is going to carry so much energy by virtue of weighing an absolutely monstrous amount. Curb weight isn’t announced yet but it’s going to be what, 3 or 4 tons? The fact that this is a commercially available vehicle anyone who has a drivers license can operate is alarming.

This isn’t a slam on the Hummer in and of itself, it’s just that the Hummer is the latest and most egregious offender to date of the arms race of adding more power, more weight, more manly rugged SUV nonsense that has an ultimate destination of killing people.

In news that should surprise nobody who has ever heard the word physics:

GAO posted:

https://www.gao.gov/assets/710/706348.pdf
Increased risk of injuries based on vehicle size and weight. Research suggests that if a pedestrian is struck by a vehicle with greater mass the crash is more likely to result in serious injuries or a fatality than if the pedestrian is struck by a lower-mass vehicle. For example, one study we reviewed that cited work from five other studies found that the chief determinants for the severity of injuries in motor vehicle collisions are vehicle size and weight.22 According to one NHTSA-funded study,23 which used information from NHTSA’s Pedestrian Crash Data Study,24 researchers found that the probability of death for pedestrians struck by light trucks (including SUVs) was 3.4 times higher than for pedestrians struck by passenger cars.

Some more reading if anyone is interested in the topic of pedestrians and cars.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/oct/03/collision-course-pedestrian-deaths-rising-driverless-cars

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Did anyone else catch that they put a US flag on the door trim? They specifically focus on it in the video..

AMERICA!!!!!!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

stevewm posted:

Did anyone else catch that they put a US flag on the door trim? They specifically focus on it in the video..

AMERICA!!!!!!

it's gonna get sold in the US and to rich Emiratis, it totally makes sense

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Cool article on a completely different EV:
https://www.theturnsignalblog.com/blog/ami-and-future-of-transportation/

I think there's a lot of great ideas there. e.g. instead of adding a rubbish center console like other cheap cars, just don't provide one at all and help people use their phone.

quote:

It is available to buy for around 6000 euros or rent for 20 euros per month after a down payment
It has a top speed of 45km/h, it can do 75km on a full charge and it takes only 3 hours to charge it in a normal 220v household plug. It is classified as a quadricycle, not a car, so anyone over 14 can legally drive the car in France without a license.

You can buy it in electronics stores instead of a care dealership if you like.

I think I agree with the concerns at the end of the article about this displacing walking and cycling rather than driving. Still, it's pretty cool and hopefully has a future in many urban markets.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

unfortunately it is kind of an artifact of a weird French legal vestige for quadricycles so it's probably not viable in most other markets because in most countries you can't drive toy cars on the roads at age 14

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

pointsofdata posted:

Cool article on a completely different EV:
https://www.theturnsignalblog.com/blog/ami-and-future-of-transportation/

I think there's a lot of great ideas there. e.g. instead of adding a rubbish center console like other cheap cars, just don't provide one at all and help people use their phone.

You can buy it in electronics stores instead of a care dealership if you like.

I think I agree with the concerns at the end of the article about this displacing walking and cycling rather than driving. Still, it's pretty cool and hopefully has a future in many urban markets.

For the limited performance and that it's still basically the same pain in the rear end to park in Paris as a regular compact car, it doesn't seem that desirable to own for the urbanite that fits the specs. But it looks perfect for a car sharing service, including an interior which can be power washed. Car "sharing" is perhaps not the right term anymore, it's more short term rental really, like city bikes.