Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Atlas Hugged posted:

This was my suspicion, so attacking someone over what they can't even control seems sus.

Only admins can mess with it. Did Lowtax give it to that guy? Can’t think of other fascist admins tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
In terms of China news, I used to love Chinasmack. It was a great blend of interesting problems facing Chinese society, wild news stories, and Chinese slice of life. It had a very humanizing view of the Chinese in both their disdain for the system, and their hatred of people who cheat the system. Also had some grab informal/internet Chinese vocabulary. I think they got threatened once, tried to lighten the tone of the site, then stopped updating after were threatened again. CCP ruins anything good that comes outta China :(

Atlas Hugged posted:

This was my suspicion, so attacking someone over what they can't even control seems sus.

I never picked this icon, and recevied it by asking Zen Death Robot to "include me in the the new icon club".

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Malkina_ posted:

Only admins can mess with it. Did Lowtax give it to that guy? Can’t think of other fascist admins tbh.

R. Guyovich was about as fascist as one gets, what with the genocide denial and constant shilling for ethno-nationalist, fascist regimes.

He also definitely seemed like the kind of person to drop fasces on people he didn't like.

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Warbadger posted:

R. Guyovich was about as fascist as one gets, what with the genocide denial and constant shilling for ethno-nationalist, fascist regimes.

He also definitely seemed like the kind of person to drop fasces on people he didn't like.

So one poster shilling for american fascism was given a fascist icon by another poster shilling for foreign fascism.

E; Where is your evidence for this?

Malkina_ fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Oct 22, 2020

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Fojar38 posted:

your posts are so loving lovely that even lenin is flipping them off

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

UltraRed posted:

In terms of China news, I used to love Chinasmack. It was a great blend of interesting problems facing Chinese society, wild news stories, and Chinese slice of life. It had a very humanizing view of the Chinese in both their disdain for the system, and their hatred of people who cheat the system. Also had some grab informal/internet Chinese vocabulary. I think they got threatened once, tried to lighten the tone of the site, then stopped updating after were threatened again. CCP ruins anything good that comes outta China :(

I feel like What's On Weibo is a decent alternative nowadays, though there's not as much focus on ~*~ netizen comments ~*~ unfortunately

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

an admin should give Malkina_ the little fasces, just cuz it'd be funny

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Quite amazing how concentration camps are permissible in America if you just simply call them private prisons.

The wildfires in California are out of control due to a shortage of concentration camp labor from COVID! https://www.democracynow.org/2020/8/25/california_wildfires_incarcerated_firefighters

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Zero to whatabout in, what, two posts?

Anyway, has anyone had an update come through for the supposed damage on the Three Gorges Dam? At the moment we're basically operating on hearsay at this juncture.

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Exposing fascism is not “whataboutism”, dummy.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Does California still have a lot of Chinese people living there? The only people I know there are Chinese.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

WarpedNaba posted:

Anyway, has anyone had an update come through for the supposed damage on the Three Gorges Dam? At the moment we're basically operating on hearsay at this juncture.

the number of gorges remains at 3

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Weka posted:

Does California still have a lot of Chinese people living there? The only people I know there are Chinese.

I saw the reactionary Falun Gong cult passing out fliers in San Francisco last week.

They’re also allied with the Evangelical Fascist Organizations pumping out anti-CCP propaganda/talking points that Fojar and others are so fond of regurgitating unironically ITT: https://thegrayzone.com/2019/09/30/reports-china-organ-harvesting-cult-falun-gong/ Bannon and co. love them.

Thankfully, they’re only a very small minority among Chinese people in California.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Malkina_ posted:

Exposing fascism is not “whataboutism”, dummy.

this is the china thread dude

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3942616 probably fits in here better

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

BrainDance posted:

this is the china thread dude

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3942616 probably fits in here better

Correct, and the China thread will inevitably involve discussion of the world’s second largest economy and its relationship with the US. This is primarily because our current President is using openly racist attacks about China with COVID ~china virus!~ along with National Security State thinktanks kicking up Cold War 2.0 into high gear.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

sure but you're jumping in out of nowhere going on about the camps and the fires lol

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

BrainDance posted:

sure but you're jumping in out of nowhere going on about the camps and the fires lol

China is genociding the Uyghurs. America is genociding its poor, especially black and brown poors.

This thread typically likes to pretend one kind of fascism is worse with an indignant righteousness almost as insufferable as the jingoism.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

hot take: there are no good states

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Weka posted:

My cousin and his wife live in California, but they are both Indian.

Sorry.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Hello.

I’d like to take this opportunity, in the China thread, to talk about America

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

It sucks

Thank you

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Malkina_ posted:

China is genociding the Uyghurs. America is genociding its poor, especially black and brown poors.

This thread typically likes to pretend one kind of fascism is worse with an indignant righteousness almost as insufferable as the jingoism.

Mate. I will say this slowly, and use short words so you can understand.

There Are Countries Other Than China And USA.

Also.

One Country Doing Genocide Does Not Excuse Another Country Doing Genocide.

No-one here has defended the US Government. At all. Yet you seem eager to defend an ethnostate currently led by an unelected "leader for life" that has annexed independant nations, is involved in genocide both physical and cultural in more than one province and where comparing the president to a cartoon bear has the non zero chance of you being dragged from your house by armed policemen.

But apart from all that, I think you are cute. Would you like to give me a big sweaty kiss on the bottom? Please?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Wake up mods

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Jeoh posted:

hot take: there are no good states

:hmmyes:

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

BrigadierSensible posted:

One Country Doing Genocide Does Not Excuse Another Country Doing Genocide.

is someone saying it does? i do think malkina is focusing too much on the US in the china thread, but i don't think they're excusing any genocide.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

GoutPatrol posted:

Wake up mods

I am up from my drunken stupor

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I don't think anyone here has ever once defended the awful conditions in the United States beyond saying at least the government is nominally elected and if they did, they deserve to be ridiculed. At the same time, this is not the USPol thread.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Its so dumb if he wanted to make a thread about the lovely things the US is doing it would be fine, I think most GBS posters would agree and contribute to the thread. But instead he chose to whine about other posters and derail the thread. I found out a student lost a drat family member to ICE for no goddamn reason someone who had been here for awhile they say he was deported but cant make any contact, it really hosed me up and I cant stop thinking about it. Like of course I agree the US is doing awful things but this is the china thread. Sorry for the derail.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
I don't read it but in the USPol thread does this phenomenon exist? Like someone replying to a point about abuses in ICE camps by saying "well, have you heard about the Uyghur camps, they're equally bad" because that would very much be taken as excusing, at least in part, the thing people were originally talking about.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

oohhboy posted:

Bad luck then.

I understand Breyten Breytenbach is OK

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

I understand Breyten Breytenbach is OK

He's hardly ever killed anyone and is not smelly at all!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

this should be the first post on every page, will help us stay on topic

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

UltraRed posted:

Chinasmack and the Korea/Japan equivalents were great. I've never seen anything else that does the same deal with the translated comments.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Ups_rail posted:

Mao was basically a king and when he died the party was able to set up rules that allowed for stability and order. Xi it seems was able to undo that.

It cannot be understated that the many of the modern problems in China are the result of 2nd gen reds like Xi Jinping, who were raised under Mao's Great Leap Forward and have all the hosed up values that entails. Some are okay, but many are just batshit.

There are plenty of things Jiang Zemin and Hu Jintao did that are hosed. Jiang's persecution of Falun Gong and Hu being the one who really got the ball rolling on the Xinjiang situation cannot be understated. But they both were steps forward for China. Many will say that Deng Xiaoping is the origin-point for China's modernization, but in truth it's Jiang. The Three Represents were ballsy enough to say "Listen, Maoism isn't viable (at this time). We shouldn't fear the West, we should do our best to make friends."
His work throughout the 90s set the economic bed, which Hu masterfully used to grow China into the economic beast it is today.

When Xi takes credit for lifting the impoverished Chinese out of poverty, it's a bold faced lie. All the work was done by Jiang and Hu, the most liberal of all Chinese leaders:

Compare how Jiang interacts with the press when they ask face-sensitive questions:
https://youtu.be/5GIj2BVJS2A

And Xi Jinping:
https://youtu.be/-cpPgJKWe94

Xi is a snot nosed brat of the party elite, raised on the teet of Mao's braindamaged early policies. I am not saying Jiang or Hu are the best leaders ever, they've both gotten up to fucky poo poo. But they were massive leaps forward for China that Xi is smugly throwing away, because he is a spoiled aristocratic elite with lovely political skills and doesn't understand why Mao failed where later leaders succeeded. Just look at the state of the sinosphere. Hong Kong is dead, Taiwan is as distant as ever, the Vietnamese party is starting to get frustrated and has only reinforced its friendly relationship with America, and Singapore is shoveling popcorn in its mouth.

Xi inherited a China at its peak, and he has done nothing but double down on all the issues while backsliding on most of the progress. All he can do is parade around the high-speed rail network and say "chinese century is now!" while alienating the West. It's beyond disgusting and shameful. China deserves better.

Dont Touch ME fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 22, 2020

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i don't like him at all but if he had lovely political skills he wouldn't be where he is today

vvv ok, yeah. honestly i've been surprised at how badly china has handled international politics in the last couple of years

Mozi fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 22, 2020

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Mozi posted:

i don't like him at all but if he had lovely political skills he wouldn't be where he is today

Sorry, geopolitical skills. He is not up to snuff with the last 3 leaders. Being good at playing internal party politics does not translate well to organizing beneficial relationships with other cultures.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dont Touch ME posted:

Being good at playing internal party politics does not translate well to organizing beneficial relationships with other cultures.

Chinese Diplomacy in a nutshell. Being good at being promoted to that level actively selects against people that would actually make for good diplomats.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Chinese Diplomacy in a nutshell. Being good at being promoted to that level actively selects against people that would actually make for good diplomats.

I would like to believe Jiang and Hu are not flukes, and after Xi kicks the bucket, China can get back on track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Unlike our orange disease-clown, Xi's not exactly at death's door. He could easily remain in power for the next 20 years.