Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
Synergism

Ok so I just opened up corruption. What is a good setting for my first try?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Purification slime will also spend actions eating your muddy mucus so if you cap that out you can beat it much earlier

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

ScottyJSno posted:

Synergism

Ok so I just opened up corruption. What is a good setting for my first try?

Don't corrupt your runs until you can ascend in a matter of seconds. Just keep doing (increasingly fast) normal uncorrupted runs.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
Another Chronicle: I'm kind of curious if non-bosses also have elemental weaknesses and resistances, just less pronounced than the boss battles. The coastal dungeon mobs seemed to shrug off any rock spells and attacks.

Also, since the default moves of your summons don't have information cards or anything, white bars = physical attacks and pink bars = spells, for purposes of which attack and defense stats they're using (I think, testing things has been a bit hard in this game).

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Manyorcas posted:

Another Chronicle: I'm kind of curious if non-bosses also have elemental weaknesses and resistances, just less pronounced than the boss battles. The coastal dungeon mobs seemed to shrug off any rock spells and attacks.

Also, since the default moves of your summons don't have information cards or anything, white bars = physical attacks and pink bars = spells, for purposes of which attack and defense stats they're using (I think, testing things has been a bit hard in this game).

If you hold shift it expands the tooltips of monsters to show you their default skill with it's attack type, base damage, and interval. I assume the default skills use all the monster's elements.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

SynthesisAlpha posted:

If you hold shift it expands the tooltips of monsters to show you their default skill with it's attack type, base damage, and interval. I assume the default skills use all the monster's elements.

Quite a lot of them are just tackle or similar plain physical attacks. As for the other guy's question, there's an elemental rock paper scissors system that goes something like wind beats earth beats water beats fire beats wind, plus by the time you get to the coast you will likely have eaten a lot of pork and not much that raises magic, causing anything with a magic attack to be rather lacking.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

dis astranagant posted:

Quite a lot of them are just tackle or similar plain physical attacks. As for the other guy's question, there's an elemental rock paper scissors system that goes something like wind beats earth beats water beats fire beats wind, plus by the time you get to the coast you will likely have eaten a lot of pork and not much that raises magic, causing anything with a magic attack to be rather lacking.

This is exactly the single biggest issue with balancing physical vs magical attacks in this game. Pork and salt both raise physical attack and can be afk farmed from bosses. I think mushrooms are the only drop food that raises magical attack and they take 15-20 times as long to farm up. You can automate production of foods after your first reincarnation, but nothing is going to be as fast as shoving pork and salt into your face. Even the foods that have monster passive that regenerate them (fish, apple, honey) or can be farmed with a single loop action (fish, milk) or can be bought directly with a single automated instant action (beef, pork, chicken) all only raise defenses or max hp (or more attack for beef & pork). There's just no effective way to get magical attacks anywhere near on the level of physical.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

SynthesisAlpha posted:

This is exactly the single biggest issue with balancing physical vs magical attacks in this game. Pork and salt both raise physical attack and can be afk farmed from bosses. I think mushrooms are the only drop food that raises magical attack and they take 15-20 times as long to farm up. You can automate production of foods after your first reincarnation, but nothing is going to be as fast as shoving pork and salt into your face. Even the foods that have monster passive that regenerate them (fish, apple, honey) or can be farmed with a single loop action (fish, milk) or can be bought directly with a single automated instant action (beef, pork, chicken) all only raise defenses or max hp (or more attack for beef & pork). There's just no effective way to get magical attacks anywhere near on the level of physical.

Shortly after the coast you can unlock some pretty strong magic boosting food, but by then you've been thoroughly trained to avoid magic and the next area has several weapon monsters to break warrior school builds with.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Shortly after the coast you can unlock some pretty strong magic boosting food, but by then you've been thoroughly trained to avoid magic and the next area has several weapon monsters to break warrior school builds with.

Which food are you talking about, the Honey and Wine combos? I'm not sure they'd qualify, even if they are high efficiency foods you're still competing for stats like Max HP and regular attack that you could make with honey and wine instead, plus it's so annoying the farm (presumably wine isn't once you can one-shot the Elder Treant).

Couple of side questions to avoid making another post:

- Is there some secret to getting the rare enemies to drop research? I've got the first two zones fairies but have never gotten any other rare enemy since then. I've even spent about 18 hours just grinding out the Queen Bee area and probably two to three days on Phantom Whale, and nothing. I've literally got every other monster up to Elder Treant maxed out in the grind to try and get the rares.

- What do you lose on reincarnation? Am I screwing myself over by trying to max everything out on my first run? If I have to re-do the researching or if I have to finish the Bishop Goddess Statues before I can reincarnate, I'm probably going to drop it now and save my sanity.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
FLP8P-PY537-WHFFX

please do say if you got it so i can keep track of who's playing the alpha

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Am I supposed to just constantly eat in Another Chronicle or only eat till I've maxed the satiety thing?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Bedurndurn posted:

Am I supposed to just constantly eat in Another Chronicle or only eat till I've maxed the satiety thing?

Constantly as long as you're able. Satiety is how much bonus you're going to get when you Dark Ritual, it caps out which is why you can go up to 100% but you still get the stats from the food for each level you gain regardless of satiety.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

something posted:

FLP8P-PY537-WHFFX

please do say if you got it so i can keep track of who's playing the alpha

yoink

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

nessin posted:

- Is there some secret to getting the rare enemies to drop research? I've got the first two zones fairies but have never gotten any other rare enemy since then. I've even spent about 18 hours just grinding out the Queen Bee area and probably two to three days on Phantom Whale, and nothing. I've literally got every other monster up to Elder Treant maxed out in the grind to try and get the rares.

- What do you lose on reincarnation? Am I screwing myself over by trying to max everything out on my first run? If I have to re-do the researching or if I have to finish the Bishop Goddess Statues before I can reincarnate, I'm probably going to drop it now and save my sanity.

1) There really isn't one, though you can get hundreds of research per drop and higher drop rates by stacking various monster and intuition bonuses late game.

2) not much, actually. The story resets and I think your rituals reset and that's about it. you keep your gluttony bonuses, monsters, unlocked skills and all of your items. You should probably finish your goddess statue grind so you never have to touch that path again, tho.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

sweet, if you can join the NGU INDUSTRIES discord i'd really appreciate it, for your thoughts on the content.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Why would I want to give this random drunk dude my statue? I need it... for killing.

Does it secretly teach me how to make more statues?

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Can someone help me figure out why my autoascend is so inconsistent in Syngerism?

The settings are the same for all these:

Autosac at 60 in-game seconds (which is just after my first C9 sweep)
Autochallenge at 0/.55/0
Autoascend at C10x1

Yet every now and then I get these 1.5- to 2X-length ascensions.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
iirc chrome now has fuckery with non focused tabs so it may be some stupid browser thing

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
I don't know the actual answer, but my guess was bad luck with recycling chance.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Can someone help me figure out why my autoascend is so inconsistent in Syngerism?

The settings are the same for all these:

Autosac at 60 in-game seconds (which is just after my first C9 sweep)
Autochallenge at 0/.55/0
Autoascend at C10x1

Yet every now and then I get these 1.5- to 2X-length ascensions.

It's definitely a known thing -- there's speculation that it has to do with tick timings on any other automation you might have going on (auto reincarnate, research purchase, auto rune upgrade, auto fortify, auto enhance, etc.). Running autochallenge on super small timers (which you are and should be doing) means that being one tick behind on anything can pretty dramatically impact your run. If you don't autoascend on one "wave," you have to go through another.

Recycling chance I'm pretty sure was changed a few patches back to not be luck based and instead just apply a flat multiplier of what the average expected recycle bonus would be.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Made it to the first reincarnate of Another Chronicle, currently stuffing my face with all the Farmworked Anchovy Sandwiches because goodness those are some hefty plusses.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bedurndurn posted:

Why would I want to give this random drunk dude my statue? I need it... for killing.

Does it secretly teach me how to make more statues?

do it.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Oh I'm retarded... I thought it was a cost but it gave me one instead.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Eldercain posted:

iirc chrome now has fuckery with non focused tabs so it may be some stupid browser thing

Its a firefox thing as well, and it happens in a focused tab too.

The general consensus on the discord regarding this is "it is what it is, live with it", luckily this is no longer a thing once you do c14 as you do long runs from then on

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Another Chronicle - do i need to make goddess drops because good god

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
NGU- can you do idle quests offline? I don't want to leave my computer on all day while i'm at work.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yes.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

xiw posted:

Another Chronicle - do i need to make goddess drops because good god

For your first reincarnate? Nah, you are probably diligent enough to have Destiny Max to make it through to the end. I did it to see where it would lead and it's simply a bigger number given by your Potions, Runes, Runestones, etc. etc. etc. Nothing used it, nothing required it.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Nea posted:

NGU- can you do idle quests offline? I don't want to leave my computer on all day while i'm at work.

Yes, with the caveat that until you get the perk Truly Idle Questing you'll only be able to complete the one you're in when you log out, and then you have to log back in to turn it in and start another. After that perk, you can just leave it and come back to "completed 5 quests" or however many.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

also the caveat that you will swiftly run out of major quests doing this. suggest picking up the sellout shop "20% faster major quests" thing where possible because it shifts you to mostly doing majors, instead of mostly aatreking

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

instead of mostly aatreking
:eyepop:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

youd be focusing on minors so this checks out

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
I opened synergism for the first time in a while. I was able to unlock the ability to Ascend, but now:

-- I have no idea what cubes are
-- I don't understand corruption
-- I cannot recall how to get past around e300 particles and into anthill - am I totally forgetting something? I remember this was a grind but I seem to have totally stalled

EDIT: I don't need to re-do that bonus that requires transcending hundreds of times in a row to build up a multiplier bonus, do I? doesn't look like it. Seems like some element is just... not "on" and I cannot figure out what it is.

Cobalt60 fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 24, 2020

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Have you done your challenges?

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
yeah challenges are stalled at 75/75/47/53/40 // 17/12/0/0/0/0

runes look beefy, and research looks further than it was last time I unlocked ants... maybe I just need to chill and wait

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Double check all your buildings and upgrades, if you just ascended you should be able to jump back to at least the point of ants pretty quickly.

You didn't enable any corruptions did you? You won't be touching those for a long time.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
if you did like me and just smashed ascend you probably screwed yourself into a few weeks that will be really slow. the fact that you could pre prepare and skip that is you knew the right thing to do was bad design but here I am still playing

stupid ants

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Eldercain posted:

if you did like me and just smashed ascend you probably screwed yourself into a few weeks that will be really slow. the fact that you could pre prepare and skip that is you knew the right thing to do was bad design but here I am still playing

stupid ants
yeah it's awkward that the first time just shoots you in the no-ants foot, but I don't know a way around it (well okay I did actually bypass it by having a backup save pre-ascend and not forgetting to buy blessings with offerings but that's because I had weeks of pre-update idling stored up)

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Cobalt60 posted:

yeah challenges are stalled at 75/75/47/53/40 // 17/12/0/0/0/0

runes look beefy, and research looks further than it was last time I unlocked ants... maybe I just need to chill and wait

Blessings have been completely redesigned and have to be bought with offerings. They no longer activate when your runes are at certain levels. Instead, they're permanent and persist across ascensions. Don't forget to respec your talismans to 2/4/5 for most cases. You can also change to 1/2/4 when trying to push challenges for an extra bit of oomph, but 2/4/5 is your best bet in general.

Don't forget to buy your first Tesseract building and check back periodically to buy upgrades with your constant. This is going to be very slow until you have a lot of ascensions under your belt but some of the bonuses are nice.

I don't think it should take you more than a few hours to get back to ants, and then another day or so to be able to ascend again. The first few ascensions are REALLY slow and you have some room to shoot yourself in the foot slow it down even further. They start to get faster.

Cubes are a new resource that you can either spend on permanent upgrades or "open" for random permanent bonuses to various things. You want to buy w1x1 in your cube upgrades immediately. The rest of your cubes should be opened. In general, you want to open cubes over spending them on upgrades. The obtanium one (w1x3) is also good because at this point obtainium is a limiting factor for how fast you can ascend.

I'm sure someone figured out exactly what point you should buy what cubes upgrades vs spending them, but I don't know what it is -- I just did it blind based on what felt good to me.

Oh, check the shop and possibly respec. I don't remember what the optimal shop researches are at the point you're at, but I remember maxing obtanium EX, ants, WOW cube season pass, and probably a few levels of the C10 requirement reduction and reincarnation challenge completion increase. Also you obviously want one point in the obtanium/offering spending automators.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Blessings have been completely redesigned and have to be bought with offerings. They no longer activate when your runes are at certain levels. Instead, they're permanent and persist across ascensions. Don't forget to respec your talismans to 2/4/5 for most cases. You can also change to 1/2/4 when trying to push challenges for an extra bit of oomph, but 2/4/5 is your best bet in general.

Don't forget to buy your first Tesseract building and check back periodically to buy upgrades with your constant. This is going to be very slow until you have a lot of ascensions under your belt but some of the bonuses are nice.

I don't think it should take you more than a few hours to get back to ants, and then another day or so to be able to ascend again. The first few ascensions are REALLY slow and you have some room to shoot yourself in the foot slow it down even further. They start to get faster.

Cubes are a new resource that you can either spend on permanent upgrades or "open" for random permanent bonuses to various things. You want to buy w1x1 in your cube upgrades immediately. The rest of your cubes should be opened. In general, you want to open cubes over spending them on upgrades. The obtanium one (w1x3) is also good because at this point obtainium is a limiting factor for how fast you can ascend.

I'm sure someone figured out exactly what point you should buy what cubes upgrades vs spending them, but I don't know what it is -- I just did it blind based on what felt good to me.

Oh, check the shop and possibly respec. I don't remember what the optimal shop researches are at the point you're at, but I remember maxing obtanium EX, ants, WOW cube season pass, and probably a few levels of the C10 requirement reduction and reincarnation challenge completion increase. Also you obviously want one point in the obtanium/offering spending automators.

I'm not here in Synergy yet but the rule of thumb for spendable prestige currency is 1% of your currency value is safe to spend on upgrades works in pretty much every idle game. The exceptions are when there's a wall if you don't buy an upgrade that is more than that.