Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Could try getting a slightly sharper picture? A lot of spiders look pretty similar to each other if you can't see the details clearly. Also, I'm guessing it wove a web in the middle of room or something? It's probably an orb weaver of some sort. If it didn't, then it could be Black House Spider. Those are common in Australia and look kind of like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Cardiovorax posted:

Could try getting a slightly sharper picture? A lot of spiders look pretty similar to each other if you can't see the details clearly. Also, I'm guessing it wove a web in the middle of room or something? It's probably an orb weaver of some sort. If it didn't, then it could be Black House Spider. Those are common in Australia and look kind of like that.
Sorry, that was the clearest of the 15 pictures I managed to get of it. It was gradually working its way down from the exhaust fan in the ceiling on a strand of web and once it reached the floor it ran off somewhere and I lost track of it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Poop bug:

Different poop bug. Male, maybe? It looks kind of crumpled compared to the first:

Also, two different types of mushrooms. Sorry, they're not really critters, but I thought they looked really neat:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

That second one is quite a group, any idea what they are?

We do have a mushroom thread btw :D https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3850811&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=8

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Not sure, but it's probably a type of Armarillaria. They're more strongly saprophagous than most mushrooms and preferentially grow directly on rotting treestumps. A. mellea is pretty tasty fried with some butter and garlic. They're locally called Hallimasch.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Anyone know what kind of spider this is? Location is Melbourne; specifically, my kitchen.

Loos like a balck house spider to me - we get wanderers who have been displaced from their hidey-holes by white tails or other predators.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Little PSA here for those of you who live in the northern hemisphere: ladybug hibernation season is starting and you might want to keep your windows closed a bit more than usual for the next short while. You might end up with a sizable number of unexpected house guests for the next six months if you don't. Ladybugs love coming into houses en masse for their hibernation period, and I do mean "en masse" - some people have found themselves being swarmed by tens of thousands at a time

I forgot and count myself lucky to have found only twenty or so scattered around my bedroom this morning. Could've gone worse.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
also they will probably not be real ladybugs but asian ladybeetles, which can bite you and make a bad smell when crushed

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Mozi posted:

also they will probably not be real ladybugs but asian ladybeetles, which can bite you and make a bad smell when crushed

Asian lady beetles are also ladybugs.

But yeah those are the ones that tend to swarm into your house in the fall if they live in your region.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Breakfast dump

This is my friend. His name is Squimothy. He's the coolest of the local squirrels and the only one with uniform brown coloration.

These doves are idiots. They show up like clockwork for breakfast and if nobody else shows up they'll just knock it all into the ground trying to run each other off from it. I hope the hawk gets them soon.

Brown thrashers have a really aggressive way of pecking at seeds on the ground. They wind up dramatically and just abolultely smash their faces into the ground for little apparent gain compared to the more conservative seed pecking strategies of the other birds. I caught one taking a dust bath this past summer and it was very aggressive, like it wanted to kick the dust's rear end. It's rare to see them this high up.

Red breasted nuthatch :laugh: who makes this poo poo up

Sunflower seeds are universal

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Raccoon update: got my phone off the charger and found these 2-hour-old texts from my dad.

So I guess he probably got eaten by those raccoons. They looked so cute too...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I let my 18-year-old dog out at 4AM to pee and she IMMEDIATELY went into hunter mode, nose to the ground, snoofling and snorting loudly like a pig as she tracked down something. sniffed to the right of the doghouse. stuck her head inside the doghouse and sniffed. sniffed to the left of the doghouse and seemed to catch track of something there, and bolted straight into the thorny vines nearby. while making a racket in those behind the doghouse, a possum poked its head out from inside said doghouse, looked to the left, looked to the right, then bumbled its way off into the night.

my brilliant hunting dog apparently sniffed it right in the face and didn't even realize it was in the doghouse when she went there.

I like possums, even the hideously adorable ones we have in america. :3:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Captain Invictus posted:

I let my 18-year-old dog out at 4AM to pee and she IMMEDIATELY went into hunter mode, nose to the ground, snoofling and snorting loudly like a pig as she tracked down something. sniffed to the right of the doghouse. stuck her head inside the doghouse and sniffed. sniffed to the left of the doghouse and seemed to catch track of something there, and bolted straight into the thorny vines nearby. while making a racket in those behind the doghouse, a possum poked its head out from inside said doghouse, looked to the left, looked to the right, then bumbled its way off into the night.

my brilliant hunting dog apparently sniffed it right in the face and didn't even realize it was in the doghouse when she went there.

I like possums, even the hideously adorable ones we have in america. :3:

Maybe she was just pulling a "Fox and the Hound" trick to throw you off the trail of her bud :colbert:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

poverty goat posted:

Brown thrashers have a really aggressive way of pecking at seeds on the ground. They wind up dramatically and just abolultely smash their faces into the ground for little apparent gain compared to the more conservative seed pecking strategies of the other birds.

Thrashers mainly forage on forest floors. This behavior during foraging and feeding is meant to kick up leaves so they can get at what's underneath. It's how they got the name 'thrasher.'

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Oh hey, I never thought there was actually anything to that. I figured it was just one of those weird "drifting" etymology things where something ends up sounding like a completely different word, but never actually meant the same thing.

That's neat to know.

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:

Herr Schuler posted:

here's a pink katydid

can't believe no one commented on this cool erythristic katydid

anyway here's a twice-stabbed ladybug

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Tjadeth posted:

can't believe no one commented on this cool erythristic katydid

anyway here's a twice-stabbed ladybug

Could be wrong but I think it's more likely to be freshly molted (i.e., still 'soft' ) -- the color is a telltale but also look how the wings aren't fully expanded.

I love native ladybugs :kimchi:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:allears:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I've had pine siskins and yellow rumped warblers this week, both of which actually have yellow butts, but no pics.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Here is a big ole lady I saw on the way out of work:

Here's a cool friend I saw chillin around our entrance:

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Late summer/fall updates:

The birds planted a sunflower in one of my garden boxes and the bees seemed to enjoy it.

Last dragonfly of the year.

An ex-weasel at my parents' farm.

You don't go to Jasper to see aquatic creatures, but I spotted a fish and a ton of caddisfly larvae on one of my wanders. They're probably under some ice by now.

More common Jasper wildlife.

Jealous of the birds.

cantwellmuckenfuss
Mar 30, 2011

Is that last one a bunting? My cat caught a woodpecker here in DC. He upgraded from the endless rats and is now not allowed outside anymore. The woodpecker lived.

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

cantwellmuckenfuss posted:

Is that last one a bunting? My cat caught a woodpecker here in DC. He upgraded from the endless rats and is now not allowed outside anymore. The woodpecker lived.

Those are both painted buntings! The green one is the female. We actually just had them show up a few weeks ago in our yard in SoFla where a small group seems to like to winter. One male often shows up with 2-3 females.

cantwellmuckenfuss
Mar 30, 2011

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief posted:

Those are both painted buntings! The green one is the female. We actually just had them show up a few weeks ago in our yard in SoFla where a small group seems to like to winter. One male often shows up with 2-3 females.

Nice catch!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Really goddamn big dying bumblebee queen (I think) here. Girl was a good 2.5 centimeters long, that's a solid inch.

Very cooperative, though. The last one stung me.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Last dragonfly of the year.

This is a meadowhawk, genus Sympetrum. They are on the wing until they freeze or get eaten.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There's once again a squirrel that has gotten into my attic. Hav-a-hart trap, go!

This is not what I wanted.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That is a very weird-looking squirrel.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Is that a mink? Don't let it sneeze on you.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Just a regular-rear end weasel.

Beautiful coat, looks like it could be someone's pet, that's how healthy it looks. and it was super chill in the trap, mostly just hanging out. I let it go out in the back yard, hopefully it takes care of my squirrel and mouse problem for me.

Edit: when I opened the attic door to see what was making the racket, two bright reflective eyes shone back at me, and I knew even in the dark it wasn't a squirrel. Cute little poo poo though, didn't even know we had them around here but apparently they're pretty common. Probably came inside the same way the squirrel got in, looking for said squirrel, and was drawn to the trap from the scent of prior squirrels.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 6, 2020

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

is it a least, stoat or long tailed? I love weasels. they are incredible predators! and yea they are common but you rarely see them so its cool to have an up close encounter with one

weasels can fit their entire body into any space they can get their head into, it's part of the reason they're such a terror for small mammals. they pack a lot of muscle into a low, compact frame and can get into pretty much any small mammal's burrow

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Having had ferrets it's amazing to me that they (while still predators if you let them) can be tubes of pure exuberance, while their cousins are stone-cold murder machines that can punch above their weight class.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The Red Queen posted:

Having had ferrets it's amazing to me that they (while still predators if you let them) can be tubes of pure exuberance, while their cousins are stone-cold murder machines that can punch above their weight class.

not so different from dogs, really

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The Red Queen posted:

Weasels that are raised by people usually end up pretty much the same in terms of personality, really. Ferrets were originally kept as basically professional home invaders for rat warrens - just, you know, go in there and kill everything you see and we'll call it a job well done. They were good at it, too.

cantwellmuckenfuss
Mar 30, 2011
Read Full Revelations of a Professional Rat-catcher.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
here's a video I took that was a pain in the rear end to upload.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emYrekO2YeI&hd=1

the audio's real quiet but he kept making little whisper-like HHHHHHHHHHHHH sort of hissing sounds. beautiful little guy though. I like how he gently but methodically tests every limit of the trap to see if he can get out anywhere.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 7, 2020

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The Red Queen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2CTVqt2wxU

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

based on that video and assuming you're in north america I'd guess it's a long tailed weasel, the biggest weasel species we have. Cool stuff! For such a common and charismatic animal they really get a bad rap :(

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

It's because they kill more than they can eat, so they're disproportionately destructive to farm animals. They're cute and it's just their instincts and all but it will never not feel like a real dick move to those whose poultry are massacred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Scarodactyl posted:

It's because they kill more than they can eat, so they're disproportionately destructive to farm animals. They're cute and it's just their instincts and all but it will never not feel like a real dick move to those whose poultry are massacred.
Yeah, it's a fairly common misunderstanding that weasels will kill more that they can eat because they are simply vicious. In reality it's more that their instincts are triggered by farm environments in a way that makes them kill the available prey animals even in a way that makes them unable to stop themselves, even though they would already have more than enough food for a week from just one carcass. A weasel enters a henhouse and kills one hen. This makes the other hens freak out and triggers it kill reflex. This freaks the other hens out more. Repeat until no hens are left. That's basically how it goes.