Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

xutech posted:

I ran a rogue trader with necron allies at the ACT of heresy event in Canberra last year, and 'crons were super fun and chill.

My first fight of the day vs Dark Mechanicum with lots of Peltasts and Hoplites and other troops ~ great match up.

So yeah, I totally understand your 30k Necron feelings.

Looks like my local scene is starting up again and the locals are running Centurion again, I should make a new list to throw in.

ACT of heresy is the big yearly au 30k event yeah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

yeah it's a huge mega narrative event sadly the last one since the Rona. Many six person teams, Loyalists vs Traitors + Xenos pro Necron and pro Eldar in the middle for people who opted to fight them. One team even hid relay beacon towers on the different maps so they could gather info for the finale. The event even included BFH, Titanicus and Aeronautica wings all messing with the other tables and each other.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

xutech posted:

yeah it's a huge mega narrative event sadly the last one since the Rona. Many six person teams, Loyalists vs Traitors + Xenos pro Necron and pro Eldar in the middle for people who opted to fight them. One team even hid relay beacon towers on the different maps so they could gather info for the finale. The event even included BFH, Titanicus and Aeronautica wings all messing with the other tables and each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTmLz9B8wls

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
This sounds absolutely amazing. Hopefully I can get up there post covid

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Ghazk posted:

Speaking of friendmakers:

KILLBOT

PHANTOM SPACEMAN

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
I’ve been waiting to paint this model for 5 or 6 years now.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

tallkidwithglasses posted:

I’ve been waiting to paint this model for 5 or 6 years now.

Owns.

Broad question, for whoever cares: I've been going through my Someday hoard, and am finding lots of jetpacks, Sons of Horus bits, and generic daemon models. I'm trying to clear my stash so obviously I want to combine them all into one project. How dumb is either A) jetpack Sons with daemon allies or B) jetpack Sons with an Esoterist and summoning? Knowing me, they're both dumb, but I'd rather have the Best Dumb I Can, y'know?

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
Good news, both fine!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
SoH want to fly in and punch poo poo, so that works with both Reavers(Reivers?) and regular assault squads, and since SoH are basically Top Traitor Scum, it also works with summoning daemooons.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Ghazk posted:

Good news, both fine!

Yeah, for sure. I’ve never seen an Esoterist do it’s thing but jump pack infantry is always nice, SoH are an all-rounder legion as long as whatever it is you’re doing isn’t too far from your opponent, and ruinstorm daemons are cool/good and a very natural fluff combo with SoH guys. Hard to mess it up really.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
Excellent to hear. I'm pretty suspicious of my "this seems good!" instincts, so a double-check is nice. My first pack of Reavers is starting to shape up, which meant I got to spend two hours this afternoon dicking around with bits and getting nowhere with the ICs I want to make. Did you know that replacing the hafts on the Reaver chainaxes is very delicate? It sucks! Anyway, if y'all have spares please let me know, they look so rad it's worth the ballache.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

BirdieBedtime posted:

Excellent to hear. I'm pretty suspicious of my "this seems good!" instincts, so a double-check is nice. My first pack of Reavers is starting to shape up, which meant I got to spend two hours this afternoon dicking around with bits and getting nowhere with the ICs I want to make. Did you know that replacing the hafts on the Reaver chainaxes is very delicate? It sucks! Anyway, if y'all have spares please let me know, they look so rad it's worth the ballache.

Using the new CSM kit to make SoH buddies for Esoterist/Demons is very cool.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

JcDent posted:

Using the new CSM kit to make SoH buddies for Esoterist/Demons is very cool.

The designers of the kit did a lot of legwork to make it very easy. There are only a couple peices of MkVII kit in there, and even that is arguable. I can definitely see folks wanting to replace the spikes with round studs, though (not me!) Having a hoard of plain Heresy kit helps, though - I have so many chainswords, pistols, shoulders and heads kicking around from my years of collecting.

The only downside is that everyone in the world clearly has the same idea, cause I can't even find the snap-fit set on ebay. Twenty big boys is probably plenty to go with the metal Raptors I've been hoarding, but I want more now god drat it!

The One-Two Punch
Dec 10, 2008

BirdieBedtime posted:

The designers of the kit did a lot of legwork to make it very easy. There are only a couple peices of MkVII kit in there, and even that is arguable. I can definitely see folks wanting to replace the spikes with round studs, though (not me!) Having a hoard of plain Heresy kit helps, though - I have so many chainswords, pistols, shoulders and heads kicking around from my years of collecting.

The only downside is that everyone in the world clearly has the same idea, cause I can't even find the snap-fit set on ebay. Twenty big boys is probably plenty to go with the metal Raptors I've been hoarding, but I want more now god drat it!

I had a similar idea a few months ago and built some SOH tacticals using the new CSM kit as mkv armour. I mixed in some other bits and shaved most of the trim off so it didn’t look super “late heresy”.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Those are both excellent kitbashes, love ‘em.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Dang, yeah, those look great

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

The One-Two Punch posted:

I had a similar idea a few months ago and built some SOH tacticals using the new CSM kit as mkv armour. I mixed in some other bits and shaved most of the trim off so it didn’t look super “late heresy”.

Yo, that dude on the upper right is Peak Heresy, I love him.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Those would make for some badass blackshields

The One-Two Punch
Dec 10, 2008

BULBASAUR posted:

Those would make for some badass blackshields

Thanks! That’s sorta what I was going for in designing the force. An infantry-only group that was raiding their way through the galactic north without too much support from the main Legion force. In my head they use militia allies as a meat shield rather than wasting precious tanks.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
There's an army list for that, friend. Or you could straight up just ally them in!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I think the necks look a bit too long, but hey, I haven't painted heresy in... a month, at least.

And yes, that's just peak Army of Dark Compliance.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Speaking of kitbashing blackshields... I use Tichy Train Group rivets for molecular bonding studs on Astartes armor. Is there something that works as well for those tiny spikes you often see on Sons of Horus figures? Tiny rectangular-pyramid-shaped rivets or studs, instead of hemispherical? I figure this thread would be where I’d find someone who’d know.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 22, 2020

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Stephenls posted:

Speaking of kitbashing blackshields... I use Tichy Train Group rivets for molecular bonding studs on Astartes armor. Is there something that works as well for those tiny spikes you often see on Sons of Horus figures? Tiny rectangular-pyramid-shaped rivets or studs, instead of hemispherical? I figure this thread would be where I’d find someone who’d know.

https://www.ebay.com/str/bloodandskullsindustry/Skulls-Spikes/_i.html?_storecat=11333429012

If you know anyone with a decent printer they are such a simple geometric shape they should be able to crank out hundreds in an afternoon for a six-pack.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

I've made square/diamond studs for Ork vehicles before from Plastruct rods/strips. You take a strip with a triangular cross-section and make two diagonal cuts to get a stud.

I feel like those Blood and Skulls spikes offer better scaling and variety though. Depending on volume needed Plastruct might work out cheaper, especially if there's a model railway shop near you that sells individual strips rather than packs.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

I also dig these jams.

https://mastercrafted.co.uk/shop/infantry-components/shoulder-pads/standard/spiked-veteran-shoulderpads/

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Robert Facepalmer posted:

https://www.ebay.com/str/bloodandskullsindustry/Skulls-Spikes/_i.html?_storecat=11333429012

If you know anyone with a decent printer they are such a simple geometric shape they should be able to crank out hundreds in an afternoon for a six-pack.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
I went with the bare head for my Lion but I love the helm sculpt, so I dremel’d up an old watcher in the dark to bear it into battle Azrael style.

Pretty happy with how it came out!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Neophyte! Bring me my helmet!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
He looks like he's about to golf swing the helmet

The One-Two Punch
Dec 10, 2008

Stephenls posted:

I’ve bought shoulder pads from master crafted minis and they’re really nice. As for just the pyramid spikes, I shaved a bunch off of the fantasy chaos warrior weapons for use on knees and so on. I had several boxes worth sitting in my closet for years and the size was perfect.

The One-Two Punch
Dec 10, 2008

I went with the bare head for my Lion but I love the helm sculpt, so I dremel’d up an old watcher in the dark to bear it into battle Azrael style.

Really nice work!

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

6’1” vs 5’11”

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

painted some bikes. vrrom vroom

im going to run them as the new sky seekers from book 9

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

Hixson posted:

painted some bikes. vrrom vroom

im going to run them as the new sky seekers from book 9

:heysexy:

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I finally finished some breachers that I started working on in the summer. I am the slowest painter in the world.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
slow maybe but extremely solid

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Good models on this page

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

You’re just being true to the nature of Death Guard, excellent work

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
Aqua something you know whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Hell yeah! Good to see another member of the White Wings club.