Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

If he wants to add sex monsters to his cut he can replace Eisenberg with Kevin Spacey for Lex.

Honestly you could replace Eisenberg with a bowl of pudding and cue cards with his lines on them and it’d probably be an improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

howe_sam posted:

Oh, this is a Snyder cut thing? Where the hell do you crowbar the Joker into that Justice League? When I saw the headline I thought they were talking about a new Justice League movie.

Intentional or not I appreciate this

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Now that the initial hype and curiosity about Snyder's cut is done, every new detail we learn about it seems to suggest it's going to be saddled with more of the same greasy edgelord accoutrements that made his original installments so obnoxious to experience. Which...I don't know why that surprises me, I guess.

Space_Butler posted:

He may as well but that's a far cry from years of him saying "I just want to release the movie that was made and ready to go. There's a whole cut done. Here's a picture as proof." Then shockingly it changed to needing to tweak and add stuff because what he showed WB executives was a bit rough and incomplete. Which is fine, but not what he asserted for years. His problem was not just saying "I turned in a cut, so there's a whole version of this movie, but it needed a lot of love" from the get-go. He convinced a ton of fans that this was a fully finished film in a vault that the big mean people at DC were just refusing to flip a switch and release.

The fact he's straight up adding things that weren't even part of the original project just emphasizes this. I'm not mad about it, as boring and pointless as Leto's Joker was, but it tracks with every half-truth we've been told since the beginning about this project. That's all.
Also this

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Phylodox posted:

The most likely part is, like I said, an expanded scene like the one they had at the end of the original, with Luthor getting together a bunch of villains to start his own Injustice League.

I will say this one thing about the Justice League.
As much as it felt like they were going to the well of things that Marvel had done, teasing a fight between a Superhero Team and a Supervillain Team was a good step.

I mean we have over ten years of Marvel films and we don't have the Masters of Evil or the Serpent Squad or the Wreckibg Crew or even the Elements of Doom on screen yet.

For what is such an essential and consistent part of the Super Hero genre, I'm shocked Marvel hasn't done it yet.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Phylodox posted:

The most likely part is, like I said, an expanded scene like the one they had at the end of the original, with Luthor getting together a bunch of villains to start his own Injustice League.

Hey now, they're a Gang, not a League.

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Injustice_Gang

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

The Question IRL posted:

I will say this one thing about the Justice League.
As much as it felt like they were going to the well of things that Marvel had done, teasing a fight between a Superhero Team and a Supervillain Team was a good step.

I mean we have over ten years of Marvel films and we don't have the Masters of Evil or the Serpent Squad or the Wreckibg Crew or even the Elements of Doom on screen yet.

For what is such an essential and consistent part of the Super Hero genre, I'm shocked Marvel hasn't done it yet.

Does the Black Order not count?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Definitely not! Those guys were minions, not any actual supervillain team-up.

Y'know what, I take back a bit of what I said, I wouldn't mind if Joker and some others showed up if it does tease at a Legion of Doom story.

It being the Leto Joker is still objectively pretty greasy, though.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Sony’s corner of the MCU seems to be leaning towards some kind of potential villain team-up, what with Vulture showing up in Morbius.

Remember Morbius? How that was a thing? The Morbius movie? A couple of decades ago before the beginning of the Bad Times? Yeah...

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There's been some speculation that Falcon/Winter Soldier could be setting up a Masters of Evil/Thunderbolts thing too. Although it seems to be entirely speculation based on casting and the ambiguous reasons for its delay.

I get why Marvel hasn't done it. They've been focused on Thanos and the big event and most of their stand alone villains got merced. I think there's a couple of natural avenues for it now with a Thunderbolts idea or Masters of Evil. And Spidey doing a Sinister Six thing could work in a film or two, especially with his identity exposed.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

There's been some speculation that Falcon/Winter Soldier could be setting up a Masters of Evil/Thunderbolts thing too. Although it seems to be entirely speculation based on casting and the ambiguous reasons for its delay.

I get why Marvel hasn't done it. They've been focused on Thanos and the big event and most of their stand alone villains got merced. I think there's a couple of natural avenues for it now with a Thunderbolts idea or Masters of Evil. And Spidey doing a Sinister Six thing could work in a film or two, especially with his identity exposed.

I always felt that the second Avengers film should have had the Masters of Evil instead of Ultron.

After all you had one film (Avengers 1) where the Avengers fought a cosmic super villain and his army of mooks.
And you’ve setup the third film to be the Avengers fighting a cosmic super villain with an army of mooks.

Why then are you making the second film be the Avengers fighting a major super villain with an army of robots?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, I think you answer it for yourself. I can see why coming off one major villain and heading into another major villain you wouldn't want to do one with a bunch of second rate guys, most of whom wouldn't have even been introduced yet. Ultron's a classic Avenger's villain, he made for easy storytelling paths to Vision and the Stark/Infinity War stuff, and you theoretically keep up the momentum of major threats demanding the Avengers come together. It makes sense on paper.

I don't think Masters of Evil/Thunderbolts really made thematic sense until the end of Ultron when we get that second version of the Avengers. I think that's for me when the idea started to expand past the Justice League/Pantheon of Gods thing you have with Cap/Iron Man/Thor/Hulk. Once you have a team made up of War Machine, Vision, Scarlet Witch, and Falcon I think the doors feel more open and I buy the Avengers as just an actual team rather than a team-up.

I also think Masters of Evil/Thunderbolts makes a lot more sense now that we have Disney+ so you can build up B and C characters and storylines before moving them to film.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Why do we have to do 10+ years of origin films, fights against world ending mega threats, heroes fighting against heroes and an all powerful universe ending threat....before we can have a film with a team of Supervillains?

Like do we have to build up to the notion that supervillains are going to want to team up? Do we think the audience can't accept this without the ground work being done?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I understand why some people don't like origin stories but I think the MCU was pretty methodical about building its world and at the point of Avengers 2 it didn't really make sense for a bunch of rando super villains to emerge from nowhere to pick a fight with the team of god like heroes who just fought off an alien invasion. Its just an odd thematic step that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Like forget justifying why a bunch of supervillains would team up to pick a fight with the Avengers, how many "super villains" even existed in the MCU at that stage?

Could it have worked? Probably. But I get why their instinct was to get another big villain presenting a global threat rather than to suddenly jump their world a huge step forward for a seemingly lesser threat.

For better or worse that approach has worked for MCU and the opposite approach has resulted in stuff like Justice League and Suicide Squad.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Not many since the Avengers are bloodthirsty killers.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
To have a team of villains they’d have to have more than like two that anyone likes. And not kill them.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There's that but like, at that stage I don't think the MCU even had a lot of dead ones.

Iron Man - Iron Monger
Hulk - Abomination
Iron Man 2 - Whiplash and Hammer
Cap - Red Skull
Thor - Loki
Iron Man 3 - Uh... Not Mandarin?
Thor 2 - Some space elves.
Cap 3 - Hydra

Its still farly early in the MCU when Avengers 2 rolls around. I guess if you kept everyone alive you could have done a team up of Iron Man's enemies and Abomination led by Skull or Hydra or something but there was really no precedent at that time for bad guys to put on suits and start picking fights. Unless everyone idolized Mickey Rourke.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hollywood action movies tend to kill their villains so it isn't exactly that weird that superhero movies follow that trend.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’ve read that Tim Roth was supposed to return as Blonsky in Civil War but there was too much going on in that movie and they couldn’t fit it in

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’ve read that Tim Roth was supposed to return as Blonsky in Civil War but there was too much going on in that movie and they couldn’t fit it in

I really hope they bring him back at some point but as like, Blomsky/Abomination instead of All Abomination All The Time. Tim Roth is great and having him be all CGIed up for all his screen time would be a waste.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

There's that but like, at that stage I don't think the MCU even had a lot of dead ones.

Iron Man - Iron Monger
Hulk - Abomination
Iron Man 2 - Whiplash and Hammer
Cap - Red Skull
Thor - Loki
Iron Man 3 - Uh... Not Mandarin?
Thor 2 - Some space elves.
Cap 3 - Hydra

Its still farly early in the MCU when Avengers 2 rolls around. I guess if you kept everyone alive you could have done a team up of Iron Man's enemies and Abomination led by Skull or Hydra or something but there was really no precedent at that time for bad guys to put on suits and start picking fights. Unless everyone idolized Mickey Rourke.

Justin Hammer gets recruited out of jail by Ross post Civil War and you get the Thunderbolts with those two, abomination, Ellen Brandt, Ghost (she's good but had to join up with them to stay alive after the snap), and then a couple of new villains. They could have done it if they wanted, they just don't want to.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Brandt dies.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Brandt dies.

She's got Extremis, she can get better.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Vince MechMahon posted:

Justin Hammer gets recruited out of jail by Ross post Civil War and you get the Thunderbolts with those two, abomination, Ellen Brandt, Ghost (she's good but had to join up with them to stay alive after the snap), and then a couple of new villains. They could have done it if they wanted, they just don't want to.

I mean, if you're going for "why not do it instead of Ultron", Cap 3 hadn't come out yet so no Ross, Zemo, or Ghost. And by the only movie that came out after Ghost debuted was Endgame, which was no time for a villain team up.

E

Vince MechMahon posted:

She's got Extremis, she can get better.

Marvel's done a good job of keeping dead characters dead so far and I'm glad they have.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I mean, if you're going for "why not do it instead of Ultron", Cap 3 hadn't come out yet so no Ross, Zemo, or Ghost. And by the only movie that came out after Ghost debuted was Endgame, which was no time for a villain team up.
Plus you'd be telling a story of Ross organizing a team of supervillains to combat the guys who just literally saved the world. It would make more sense for it to be Hydra organized coming off Winter Soldier but you'd still have to retroactively bring a bunch of people back from the dead and establish a bunch of new ones. And you'd be kind of repeating the story from Winter Soldier and stealing some of the thunder from Civil War.

It could have been done but it made sense to make the story "ok, the Avengers are starting to disassemble since the world threat is gone and... opps, new world threat!" That could have been Hydra and a team but I don't think there's any mystery why they went with an iconic Avengers villain.

I would definitely loved to have see Tim Roth back, though.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
The Thunderbolts thing seems pretty likely, especially with one of the writers just recently saying they plan to bring back some secondary characters to rehab them.

https://www.slashfilm.com/falcon-and-the-winter-soldier-reinvents-early-mcu-characters

Hammer, Blonsky, Samuel Sterns, then throw in some later Phase people like the obvious Zemo.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

Why do we have to do 10+ years of origin films, fights against world ending mega threats, heroes fighting against heroes and an all powerful universe ending threat....before we can have a film with a team of Supervillains?

Your wish is granted

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It would be nice if they followed up on the setup they did with The Leader

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I re-watched Captain Marvel last night and actually really enjoyed it. A couple of the deleted scenes flesh out the Kree and Yon-Rogg a bit. I get why they were cut but they added some context.

Not sure if the Yon-Rogg scene meeting with the Supreme Intelligence was supposed to be a teaser for the next film, or if that took place before Yon-Rogg went to Earth.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

How about a team up of Kingpin, Prowler, Doc Ock, Hammerhead, and Scorpion? I could get into that.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

theironjef posted:

How about a team up of Kingpin, Prowler, Doc Ock, Hammerhead, and Scorpion? I could get into that.

The Thunderous Six.

I think putting together a good Thunderbolts team with the scraps that are still left wouldn't be too hard. The film could start out with two or three small-time supervillains getting caught by like, Ant-Man or one of the new Captains America, and they could serve as the PoV outsider characters for the rest of the film. Then you could include Justin Hammer as Detroit Steel, reveal that Aldrich Killian survived the explosion, repair Ultron, bring in the Vulture, and maybe some villains from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. if you really want to.

Still kind of sloppy, I suppose. Maybe the MCU should stop being so murder-happy with its villains. :v:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/inkookang/status/1319374824511332352?s=20

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Ah yes, the sequel to this

Talk about your nuclear takes

McCloud fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 23, 2020

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

McCloud posted:

Talk about your nuclear takes

"ZSJL might not be a financial success" is not a nuclear take.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Thw could finance an entire new film for that money.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Who are those people and why should I care about their Snyder Cut takes

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Inkoo Kang works for THR and wrote the Criterion essay for Parasite, an actual good movie.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Aphrodite posted:

Inkoo Kang works for THR and wrote the Criterion essay for Parasite, an actual good movie.

Not Kang, the Twitter randos (though McCloud edited the post)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well, theblerdgurl seems to do somewhat regular work for WB lol

That's a pretty bad take though. Covid vaccine programs aren't hurting for money.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Technically he didn't write the passage though, he's simply quoting some random gossip site. Tbh, the portion after the quoted passage is of more interest to me.

idk some columnist posted:

During that Recode interview, Greenblatt also said of the Snyder Cut, “It isn’t as easy as going into the vault and there’s a Snyder Cut sitting there to put out. […] It does not exist. Zack is actually building it…” For years, I said the Snyder Cut didn’t exist simply because Snyder did not get a chance to finish it before leaving the project for personal reasons. And for years, I got the most awful abuse for saying so. Wishes of bodily harm, death threats, rape threats, you name it, some Snyderbro spewed it, and not just at me. Anybody who dared wade into the Snyder Cut waters for years found themselves on the wrong end of cinema’s most toxic fanbase. Now, with all evidence pointing to the fact that Snyder did not, in fact, have a completed cut of his movie ready for release up to and including the chairman of the company paying for it admitting that “it does not exist”, not one person has offered an apology. I’m not looking for that apology and I don’t need it, but I will keep reminding everyone that the Snyder Cut is result of a toxic, abusive campaign and the worst fans in cinema getting what they want is probably going have to negative implications down the line. The return of the fourth best Joker is just the start.
:goleft::coffee:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Now I want to see the Joker rankings. Does it only rank modern day Jokers (ignoring Cesar Romero). Or is there someone worse than Leto?