Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

MrPablo posted:

C|net has a summary of upcoming EV trucks: GMC Hummer EV vs. Tesla Cybertruck, Bollinger and Rivian: Electric trucks compared.

Available stats and pricing are pretty limited, but it's still an interesting read.

Completely ignores the electric F-150, I guess it's not cool enough to just use a normal functional truck body instead of a luxury suv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

pointsofdata posted:

Cool article on a completely different EV:
https://www.theturnsignalblog.com/blog/ami-and-future-of-transportation/

I think there's a lot of great ideas there. e.g. instead of adding a rubbish center console like other cheap cars, just don't provide one at all and help people use their phone.

You can buy it in electronics stores instead of a care dealership if you like.

I think I agree with the concerns at the end of the article about this displacing walking and cycling rather than driving. Still, it's pretty cool and hopefully has a future in many urban markets.

We've been thinking of getting an RV and towing a small car behind it. This would be great but it will never get sold in the USA,

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

Speleothing posted:

Completely ignores the electric F-150, I guess it's not cool enough to just use a normal functional truck body instead of a luxury suv.

Yeah, that's a good point, especially since they use the ICE F-150 as a reference point for the other trucks.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I mean they have a new hybrid F150 coming out but I don’t think an all electric F150 has been announced?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

heated game moment posted:

I mean they have a new hybrid F150 coming out but I don’t think an all electric F150 has been announced?

They’ve shown/demo the prototype but I don’t think they’ve actually announced a production of it yet.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

stevewm posted:

Did anyone else catch that they put a US flag on the door trim? They specifically focus on it in the video..

AMERICA!!!!!!

Pretty sure that's part of the "Lunar" theme on the Edition 1, along with the spacesuit bootprints, and Apollo 11 landing site map.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Darchangel posted:

Pretty sure that's part of the "Lunar" theme on the Edition 1, along with the spacesuit bootprints, and Apollo 11 landing site map.

Ah.. I only watched the video and didn't see anything else about it. Didn't realize they had it themed.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

stevewm posted:

Ah.. I only watched the video and didn't see anything else about it. Didn't realize they had it themed.

Engineering Explained covers it in their video - only reason I know. Kind of a neat idea, at least.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

heated game moment posted:

Ford dropped $700 million on converting one of their plants to produce the F150 BEV. https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/local/2020/09/17/ford-announces-plan-to-build-700-million-electric-truck-factory-in-dearborn/

Not only is it announced, but it is hitting the road in 2022. There were videos of the prototype last year. Friend-of-a-friend (aka take with a huge grain of salt) said Ford has been off and on loving around with an electric F150 since the focus EV. Until now there wasn't any reason to actually act on it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Darchangel posted:

Engineering Explained covers it in their video - only reason I know. Kind of a neat idea, at least.

What relation does the Hummer have to the moon? They really should've made it a combat boot footprint and map of Iraq instead.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

VideoGameVet posted:

My big scare is driving to Vegas and not finding an available fast-charger along the way. If I get to any within 220 miles of the destination, I'm going to charge to 90% just to be sure.
How far is Barstow from Vegas? There are a few fast chargers there, including at the Love's where I had to stay in my truck for 15 minutes because a bee truck was not keeping it's cargo kept.

Also Barstow is after the big climb up Cajon(?) Pass, hills can eat up range. IIRC there's no more big grades after Barstow when heading North on I-15.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

What relation does the Hummer have to the moon? They really should've made it a combat boot footprint and map of Iraq instead.

I think they're trying to tactfully move away from the military image but keep the american pride with a nod towards the future. Which, good.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

unfortunately it is kind of an artifact of a weird French legal vestige for quadricycles so it's probably not viable in most other markets because in most countries you can't drive toy cars on the roads at age 14

Because of EU directive you can probably drive them in most of EU and the age limit is lower, usually 15 or 16. So if you are 15 you options are either one of these mopedcars or a normal 50cc moped. At 16 you get the option of 125cc bike which may be more desireable as it's highway capable. At 18 you of course would choose a normal car. In Finland there was legislation in process that would allow 15 year olds to drive normal speed-limited cars, but EU put a stop on that.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

RZA Encryption posted:

I think they're trying to tactfully move away from the military image but keep the american pride with a nod towards the future. Which, good.

GM did have a hand in building the Moon Rover, so I guess it gives them an excuse to plaster their halo EV with throwbacks to that.

Reminds me of this stupid-as-gently caress commercial they made:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNzXze5Yza8

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

CannonFodder posted:

How far is Barstow from Vegas? There are a few fast chargers there, including at the Love's where I had to stay in my truck for 15 minutes because a bee truck was not keeping it's cargo kept.

Also Barstow is after the big climb up Cajon(?) Pass, hills can eat up range. IIRC there's no more big grades after Barstow when heading North on I-15.

My plan is to charge in Hesperia and then hit Barstow to top off during lunch. The station(s) in Baker look unreliable.

I assume there are several fast charging stations in Barstow, hopefully near the restaurant area in the large shopping thing off the I15.

PlugShare don't let me down.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Just got back from getting the Nokian R3s fitted on the Bolt. Definitely noisier than the originals, especially on corners. otoh my other vehicle is an ancient F250 7.3l diesel so my standards for low cabin noise are "being able to conduct a conversation at highway speeds".

And we have snow in the forecast. Don't actually need to go anywhere this weekend but if it does snow I might take the Bolt out for shits and giggles road worthiness assessment.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

VideoGameVet posted:

My plan is to charge in Hesperia and then hit Barstow to top off during lunch. The station(s) in Baker look unreliable.

I assume there are several fast charging stations in Barstow, hopefully near the restaurant area in the large shopping thing off the I15.

PlugShare don't let me down.

I'm guessing this is in the app too, but on the website you can see recent check-ins from people and they can tell you what worked / didn't.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

CannonFodder posted:

Barstow is about 2200 feet in elevation and mountain pass on 15 on the way to Vegas from there gets up to about 4700 feet. There are some grades on the way up mountain pass. From there it's back down to 2000 feet where Vegas is at.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

MrLogan posted:

Any strong opinions on the e-tron? Our local dealer has leftover 2019s heavily discounted.

How accurate is the 205 mile range?

Software is dogshit beyond words, even fordpass/sync3 is better. Your tail lights will burn out, chargepoint chargers are hit or miss making road trips dangerous, the center console is comically small. The Audi dealers are extremely unhelpful because they have some weird vendetta against electric cars.

Fit and finish is nice, the range is accurate, it's FUN to drive. You can absolutely rail through twisty corners.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Westy543 posted:

Ford dropped $700 million on converting one of their plants to produce the F150 BEV. https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/local/2020/09/17/ford-announces-plan-to-build-700-million-electric-truck-factory-in-dearborn/

Not only is it announced, but it is hitting the road in 2022. There were videos of the prototype last year. Friend-of-a-friend (aka take with a huge grain of salt) said Ford has been off and on loving around with an electric F150 since the focus EV. Until now there wasn't any reason to actually act on it.

From that article:

quote:

“The electric F-150 will have 40% lower total costs of ownership over its lifespan, and that includes when you factor in the price of the vehicle service and fuel,” Abuelsamid said.

I really really really want to see their math on that figure.

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

harperdc posted:

I don't know where that particular number comes from, but Consumer Reports recently released this report: EVs Offer Big Savings Over Traditional Gas-Powered Cars.

There is a fact sheet and a complete report.

The complete report has an explains their analysis and breaks out the savings by category (e.g. maintenance, fuel, etc).

Edit: Fixed quoting.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MrPablo posted:

I don't know where that particular number comes from, but Consumer Reports recently released this report: EVs Offer Big Savings Over Traditional Gas-Powered Cars.

There is a fact sheet and a complete report.

The complete report has an explains their analysis and breaks out the savings by category (e.g. maintenance, fuel, etc).

I've spent most of this past week working on TCO calculations for electric vehicles for work, so I'm curious how their assumptions differ.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Any opinions on the 2020 Nissan leaf s plus? Thinking of picking one up since the rebates and discounts in nj and fed are still pretty attractive.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

I'm a new (used) Bolt owner now, apparently.

About a month ago, my wife, who is an absolute gearhead and has never owned a car with an automatic transmission ('89 Mustang GT, two Jeep Wranglers, and a 2000 Trans-Am), told me "Hey, I'm tired of dumping gas into my car, so I've been looking for electric cars on Carvana. What do you think of these?"

We settled on a '17 Bolt, which they appeared to have rather a lot of. I assume they're coming off lease? Anyway, we decided to pick it up in Birmingham this past weekend, figuring that'd be better than having to take off work to wait for it to be delivered.

We called a few days beforehand, and they told us that the car would have at least 3/4 charge when we got it, which would have been plenty to get us home (about a 90-mile drive to Montgomery).

That was not what happened. It got delivered to the Birmingham Carvana facility dead-rear end empty. They plugged it in as soon as they got it, but they don't have a level-2 charger there, so it only had like 50 miles range on it by the time we got there.

And because Alabama, the only fast-charging stations available downtown turn out to be for city fleet cars only.

We ended up driving to a Whole Foods that had closed (permanently) but happily still had their EV charging posts turned on. It took a while, but we finally got enough charge into the thing to get us home.

Carvana apologized profusely, and extended their 7-day trial a few days for us to compensate.

I'm currently waiting for the electrician to show up to install our 220v outlet for our level-2 charger, and my wife took the Bolt to work for the first time this morning. It had finally filled the battery on 120v charging enough for her to test out her 65-mile commute (she teaches at a rural school). Once she gets home, we'll plug it back in and make sure it can charge overnight enough for her to use it every day. If it does, we're sold.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

harperdc posted:

From that article:

Depending on your industry, a F-150 used as a work vehicle can easily go through more than a tank of gas every week.

That's $50-100 every week on gasoline over the 8+ year life of the truck.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

SnatchRabbit posted:

Any opinions on the 2020 Nissan leaf s plus? Thinking of picking one up since the rebates and discounts in nj and fed are still pretty attractive.

I was going to test drive one but ended up just buying a Niro instead. My wife's cousin is very pro EV and has an old Leaf that he absolutely loves but he says there's no way he'd buy a new one now. The 2020 model is really just a facelift of a 4+ year old car and technology has moved on an awful lot since then.

Also, at least in the UK you can only get the long range model in the higher trims that come with a large subwoofer bolted down in the middle of the boot which is really impractical.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
-40% TCO sounds ambitious based on the TCO numbers I've seen and run, but they're definitely right that TCO is significantly lower for EVs.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Figure in maintenance into the TCO as well.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

gently caress if I know. :911::fsmug: but a bit less militaristic?

fake e: f,b:

RZA Encryption posted:

Nfcknblvbl posted:

GM did have a hand in building the Moon Rover, so I guess it gives them an excuse to plaster their halo EV with throwbacks to that.

Nah, we "work hard" because our corporate overlords love money more than anything else, and don't *let* us relax a minute, and don't pay us enough to stop working.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I thought it was Boeing but reading the wiki, looks like GM was in fact involved. Still, kind of a stretch to plaster this over the Hummer.

Oh yeah I member that ad. The funniest part is that it's for a loving ELR lol

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

harperdc posted:

I've spent most of this past week working on TCO calculations for electric vehicles for work, so I'm curious how their assumptions differ.

I don't know if this helps, but below are the salient bits from the complete report.

From the "Key Findings" section in "Chapter 2: Maintenance: EVs Cost Half as Much to Maintain":

quote:

• Analysis of real-world maintenance and repair cost data from thousands of CR members shows that BEV and PHEV owners are paying half as much as ICE owners are paying to repair and maintain their vehicles

From the "Assumptions" section in "Chapter 2: Maintenance: EVs Cost Half as Much to Maintain":

quote:

The data were filtered to remove:
  • Incomplete responses.
  • Vehicles that reported traveling less than 2,000 miles in the past 12 months.
  • Vehicles that reported traveling more than 60,000 miles in the past 12 months.
  • Vehicles that reported maintenance costs of over $20,000 over the past 12 months.
  • Vehicles with more than 200,000 total miles.

From the "Key Findings" section in "Chapter 3: Fuel Costs: No More Trips to the Gas Station":

quote:

• EV owners will spend 60 percent less to fuel their vehicle.
  • While there is variability among states because of differing gasoline and electricity prices, electric vehicle drivers will save on fuel in every state, with consumers in the majority of states saving within 10 percent of the national average savings.
  • Owners of BEVs with a range of 250 miles or greater will be able to do 92 percent of their charging at home, requiring only six stops at a DC fast-charging station per year.

I can't really excerpt the "Approach" section of chapter 3 without cutting out useful information, but here's my best attempt:

quote:

The first step in this analysis was determining what fraction of a consumer’s charging could typically be done at home. One commonly used approach is to calculate what’s called a utility factor, which is an estimate of the fraction of total miles driven by a typical driver that could be completed by an EV that charges only at home once a day. Using data from over 100,000 consumer trips, researchers at the Argonne National Laboratory developed an equation for a BEV utility factor as a function of that EV’s range.17 The utility factors calculated by ANL are shown in Table 3.1.

These numbers were then adjusted to account for the fact that consumers are unlikely to drive their BEV until its charge is fully depleted. Using a safety factor of 20 percent, we determined the number of trips to a public charging station required for every 15,000 miles of driving.

From the "Key Findings" section of "Chapter 4: Current EV Ownership Costs: Adding Up the Savings":

quote:

• Seven of the nine most popular EVs on the market cost first-time owners less than the best-selling, and top-rated ICE vehicles in their class, in many cases matching or exceeding the performance of some of the top-performing ICE vehicles in their class.
  • Lifetime ownership costs for all nine of the most popular EVs on the market under $50,000 are many thousands of dollars cheaper than the best-selling and top-rated ICE vehicles in their class, with typical savings ranging between $6,000 and $10,000.

From the "Approach" section of "Chapter 4: Current EV Ownership Costs: Adding Up the Savings":

quote:

This analysis focuses on model year 2020 and 2021 BEVs and PHEVs. It brings together depreciation, financing, fuel, and repair and maintenance costs, and compares them with similar ICE vehicles. It does not include other vehicle ownership costs, such as sales or property taxes, registration fees, and insurance. These costs are also important, but they vary much more by location and driver demographics and history, and are more challenging to generalize. Furthermore, the cost of installing a home Level 2 charger is also not included.

There is also a chapter about used EVs, but the approach is identical to chapter 4. Detailed findings are covered in the "Detailed Findings" section of each chapter, and there are links to the data sources and appendices with supplemental information.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

https://twitter.com/HannahElliott/status/1319684822059548672?s=20

This definitely seems like an appropriate vehicle to have on public roads. Good thing the belt lines are so high so the cops can’t see me recording my latest TikTok.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

mobby_6kl posted:

I thought it was Boeing but reading the wiki, looks like GM was in fact involved. Still, kind of a stretch to plaster this over the Hummer.

Oh yeah I member that ad. The funniest part is that it's for a loving ELR lol

that ad slaps because it is 100% him playing Robert Quarles from Justified

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
They could repeat the tests in this video https://www.wthr.com/article/news/i...60-3363f0954b3b with like 4 or 5 year olds standing in front of it, and still have similar blind spot distances.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

SnatchRabbit posted:

I'm suspicious they wouldn't do that well in the small-overlap crash test cause they didn't bother testing it for the 2nd gen, and the 1st gen did poorly. Most people don't look at that though.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

This definitely seems like an appropriate vehicle to have on public roads. Good thing the belt lines are so high so the cops can’t see me recording my latest TikTok.

She might be just tiny. I think the Engineering Explained guy was above roof height.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

that ad slaps because it is 100% him playing Robert Quarles from Justified
Yeah that's true and I love him. It's a goddamn piggybank!

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Holy poo poo this is huge. I guess that's what you're after when you're buying a Hummer, but still.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

She might be just tiny. I think the Engineering Explained guy was above roof height.

Yeah that's true and I love him. It's a goddamn piggybank!

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

-40% TCO sounds ambitious based on the TCO numbers I've seen and run, but they're definitely right that TCO is significantly lower for EVs.

It does sound ambitious but I won't be completely surprised if it turns out to be close to reality. I was involved in maintenance tracking for a small fleet of F150s and F250s used for work and between the insane fuel use of the gas engines, the eye-watering repair costs if anything breaks on a diesel, and the ridiculous costs of brake jobs they all get expensive in a hurry.

Really curious what problems show up when you regularly dip an EV's rear axle in salt water launching a boat or how regenerative braking and trailer brakes are going to be integrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

That Twitter account is owned by a woman who the internet says is 5’10”. I don’t know if that’s her in the picture, though.